Virizion

Anyone think HP Water is a good idea? There's the boost in the rain, but the type coverage on aforementioned foes such as Landlos and Gliscor is still there. Focus Blast is better than HP Ice on Garchomp and Flygon(lol), factoring in STAB.
Salamence,Dragonite,and lolAltaria 4x resist Grass,2x Water,and 2x Fighting.
You kinda need HP Ice.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
Crobat also 4x resists Virizion's STABs.
Crobat also outspeeds you and OHKOs too, so you shouldn't say in either way. Also, Flygon and Garchomp aren't hit harder by Focus Blast. Hidden Power Ice hits both of them for 280 power, while Focus Blast is significantly less powerful, at 180, not to mention the less than desirable accuracy.

I've been using this Defensive Calm Mind set for a while now, really helpful against rain.

Birijion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justice Heart
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this Defensive Calm Mind set for a while now, really helpful against rain.

Birijion @ Leftovers
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
I'd slash Hidden Power Ice with Focus Blast. Otherwise Gliscor and his friends will set up and wall you to no end.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
How does gliscor wall? Would giga drain do that little after a calm mind?
Crap, I forgot Giga Drain has 75 BP now >_<

+1 252 SpA Timid Birijion (Giga Drain) vs 252 HP / 184 Def Impish Gliscor: 51.1% - 60.5%

I mean, it's not really walling, but Gliscor can use a combination of Acrobat + Protect (most Gliscors now run Poison Heal) + Acrobat to break the substitute and defeat Birijion.

I'd slash Hidden Power Ice with Focus Blast. Otherwise Gliscor and his friends will set up and wall you to no end.
I've considered that, but I prefer Focus Blast to take care of things like Heatran, Sazandora, and other assorted Steel types. Plus the Sub will help hold off attacks somewhat.

would birijion be a good defensive partner for latias?
Yes it would be, as long as you pair it up with a Fire-, Water-, or Steel-type to cover the ice weakness. I like Heatran, Tentacruel, and Forretress, respectively. Tentacruel and Forretress can set up Toxic Spikes, which is REALLY useful considering they both have problems with Blissey (not so much Birijion, but relying on Focus Blast sucks).

Cooky

Banned deucer.
I would have no problem with this guy because this guy dies to any flying move, like for example, sturdy skarmory
A +1 LO Focus Blast deals 119.2% - 140.4% to standard Skarmory. Sturdy wont matter because any decent offensive team should have Stealth Rock up anyway, especially because Virizion is commonly countered by Flying types.

special virizion with calm mind and giga drain is harder to take down in the long run(don't forget you have to count on focus blast(miss) for coverage) but also its damage output is not that great for boosted attacks(i am talking about after 2 calm minds or more)...
physical virizion is better for outright attacks with stronger attacks(close combat and leaf blade), but it can't take the special hits the calm mind version can...
so since you are going for the long run just stick with the special virizion(or just use poison heal breloom like i do since i could not find a way to work with virizion and after a few battles i had it always ended up dead weight while loom keeps winning me games...)

This guy has that typing. Terrakion and this guy is nowhere near comparable.
Terrakion is pretty much Garchomp with more versatile boosting capability while this thing has Versatility to back his ass

It has a really nice defensive typing though because aside from Gale of Acrobatics, Flying isn't a very common type attack. It can take a hit from something faster than Starmie than sweep the opponent to hell!

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel like the people using Virizion defensively are doing it wrong. Sure, it can actually be a hard counter to some pokemon. But I feel like it's much better as an offensive mon instead of a defensive one. It should use its typing to set up Swords Dances so it can smash through its counters instead of just gradually losing health while it tries to set up. Blissey is going to come in and cripple you, it's not scared of a +1 Focus Blast. Giga Drain is not a great move, and Focus Blast is even worse. It also has a troll speed tier below Lati@s and the wind genie, which sucks with all the rain teams. It's a good sweeper but it's just not strong enough to sit around CMing against an offensive team.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Birijion @ Leftovers
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
I've been using a similar set (with max Sp.A. and Speed) in Random Matchup and it does really well. Heck, it stalled out a bulky Zapdos.

Would a set like this have any merit?
Virizion @ Leftovers/Life Orb/ whatever
EVs: whatever
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Reflect
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast/HP ICE
Just some theorymoning, but Calm Mind would boost your Sp. Def up and Reflect would effectively boost your Def stat, making him bulky on both sides. With boosted Giga Drain to keep you healthy, and FB or HP ICE for coverage, I think it would be a pretty solid Poke. Thoughts?

I honestly think this is one of the best Swords Dancers out there!
How so? Is it because Virizion can easily switch in on the QuakeEdge combination, despite its 72 Defense, and set up an SD as the opponent switches?

It doesn't have the best Attack and Special Attack for SDing or Calm Minding, but they work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)