1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Viva el Postgame

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by dak, Dec 27, 2009.

1. dak

dak

Can't be bothered to write an introductory paragraph. Finally wanted to get this done.

Reviews in order of Death:

19. Holy Fuck - Usain Bolt - Amelia - Freelancer - Lynched Day One

Player:
    Got the unfortunate fate of being randpicked by Brain for his book-scheme, causing people to lynch him. Victim of not reading the rules and thus not having his vote count. Was stealth lynched by Earthworm for no apparent reason. Mekkah was gonna recruit him soon, as well.

Role:
    This role was borderline broken, but nobody realized it and thought it was useless. It had the third highest priority in the game, only slower than the recruitments and Shade's Die Another Day, which basically made his kills unable to be hooked and/or protected. I guess the hint in the Role PM was too subtle.

15. Emergency & I - Tom Hagen - Kannon - Corleone Family - Lynched Day Two

Player:
    Made a buffoon out of himself for being unable to spell, otherwise nothing of note. Victim of the Hobo Joe Incident.

Role:
    Your standard inspector, nothing much to talk about here. Never got a single inspection result, Night Zero he hit Outlaw who was immune at the point, then he got handcuffed to Lesm and had to idle, then he was lynched: When he came back, he was killed the first night be could have inspected it. Major bad luck.

12. Disraeli Gears - Marty McFly - GTS - Freelancer - Killed Night Two

Player:
    Claimed to Mekkah but Mekkah forgot about him, causing him to go to Gmax. Italians killed him because of voting behaviour pointing towards Batista.

Role:
    Rip-off of evan's role from Super. Would have gotten a copy of all messages a player would have received that Night, i.e. inspection results, hooker/theft messages and the like. Probably had the coolest killing method, though!

44. Thriller - Lee Harvey Oswald - Thorns - Freelancer - Killed Night Two

Player:
    Probably Thorns' best game so far, no real mistake as war as I know. Got randkilled by Outlaw because of Michael Jackson's rivalry with Prince.

Role:
    Stole this from Apocaylpse, where it was greenpikachu's role. Gave this too Thorns because I figured he shouldn't be around too long to annoy and brag around in the end.

36. Rocket To Russia - Rocky Balboa - Bass - MI6 - Killed Night Two

Player:
    I recalled this guy being a good player, must have confused him with someone else. Got namechecked by porygon3 and had previously claimed bodyguard to cookie, who apparently told this to both Gmax and Mekkah as a mean of being recruited. Told Gmax that he was being recruited by someone, not knowing he had his alias. Got killed by Gmax the night he was recruited by Mekkah. He also for some stupid reason neglected to protect himself and protected whoever Gmax told him to while being killed. Pretty bad stuff.

Role:
    One of the better two Bodyguards, this one was able to protect himself. Bass didn't realize this, though. Even though it was specificly stated in the PM.

31. Oracular Spectacular - Pablo Escobar - Mr Escalator - M-26-7 - Killed Night Two

Player:
    Claimed to both Gmax and Brain and gave them info about the Manifesto for some reason. Brain picked him up immediately while Gmax planend to abuse him to leech info. In the end, Brain for some reason didn't go for the Manifesto but Gmax did. Got randkilled by Mekkah.

Role:
    We made this so the faction that recruits him would basically be dominating in the Item department and have the Manifesto and thus an advantage from the start. Unfortunately, Brain was not interested in the Manifesto and Esc died too early to be of use otherwise. He did enable the Castros to get three items out of the Junkyard instead of two, but that didn't matter in the end.

10. Crystal Castles - Obi-Wan Kenobi - billymills - Batista Regime - Lynched Day Three

Player:
    Nothing of note here, was an early member of the Batistas that helped planning and stuff. Got lynched because everyone except Batista had casualies at that point. Was involved in Shiv's half-assed freelancer alliance, but never anything happened with that, anyway. From what I saw mills improved a lot from the fuckup he was before, though.

Role:
    Straightforward Reverse-martyr, taken from one of Gohan's transformations in DBZ.

27. Mirage - Tony Montana - evan - M-26-7 - Killed Night Three

Player:
    Gave his alias to Shiv on Night Zero and got recruited immediately, without even claiming a role. Was silenced by Mekkah and then threatened to obtain claims. Someone inspected him but it failed because he targeted himself. Was killed by MI6.

Role:
    Safeguard with integrated Hooker. Evan could have used this role on the people they were killing to prevent bodyguarding or on their own to prevent inspection, hookings and the like. The little hooking twist was included as a mean to encourage using it on enemies, and so that they wouldn't use it on the same member of their team every night.

30. OK Computer - Blondie - blue_light - Batista Regime - Killed Night Three

Player:
    Inspected by Fishin early in the game, but as MI6 already had the silencer they couldn't get him. Alias was given to Batista so that they could cooperate with MI6 through Godkills. Got killed by Castro on the Night he was going to perform his first one.

Role:
    Standard Persuader, although we allowed this one to godkill in combination with a silencer, which was a very risky thing to do in the end. Wouldn't do this again..

05. Aqualung - Don Diego de la Vega/Zorro - Raikage/Kannon - Corleone Family - Killed Night Three

Player:
    The only user beside moi to be voluntarily recruited into the Corleone Family. Claimed to Avatar because of loyality, ended up being killed by the Batista because of the Hobo Joe Incident. There is not much to say here, didn't have the opportunity to do a lot and was busy at the time.

Role:
    As I didn't include NPCs, this is my workaround so that resurrection was able to be included. I think it worked fairly well, but unfortunately the Hobo Joe Incident killed this guy off very fast.

28. Morrison Hotel - Jim Morrison - imperfectluck - Freelancer - Lynched Day Four

Player:
    Contributed to most highlights of the first few days and nights. Easily the Freelancer MVP. Wrecked a lot of havoc with his alliance and confused people a great deal with his ingenious use of the Microphone. He gave this guy this role as we were aware he would definitely spice up the gameplay in the early stages, which was evidentally kind of boring. Unfortunately never gained anything from actions as he was lynched before he could be recruited.

Role:
    My interpretation of a Rogue without NPCs, mostly inspired from Darmani from Zelda and B. A. Baracus from Fire Emblem. Mysterious Voice was an early item idea by Jackal and we decided to stick it on this guy because nobody would recruit a normal Rogue and it would ensure a lot of chaos if a dead Rogue went around manipulating shit with the voice.

43. The Queen Is Dead - James Bond - shade - MI6 - Killed Night Four

Player:
    Was absent early in the game, Mekkah controlled his account for a couple of days. Forged a pretty neat false PM, Mr. Pink. Got inspected and killed by Castro relatively early.

Role:
    Probably the strongest of the fourt wildcard starting roles, easily has the best of the four item and most likely the best of the roles, too. Unfortunately Mekkah decided not to use his role after long consideration, causing him and another Agent to die. Bad decision on his part there. Mekkah also contemplated using his announcement role for some funny stuff like claiming recruitments won't work for the next two nights. This could have been fun, but he died too early unfortunately.

49. Who's Next - Peter Venkman - Accent - MI6 - Killed Night Four

Player:
    Claimed to Mekkah pretty early but for some reason Mekkah thought his PM was fake because he doubted two hookers would exist at that point in time. Tried recruiting anyway and succeeded. Got randkilled by Outlaw.

Role:
    One of two standard hookers, there is not much to say about this one.

02. A Night at the Opera - Clarence Darrow - serenity - Neutral - Godkilled Day Five

Player:
    Got tricked by Outlaw, who was claiming legitimate faction at the start, into giving the alias to be recruited. Was pretty shocked when she found out she got turned into a wolf. Was the unfortunate victim of a random silence/persuasion godkill. The persuasion was performed by Lesm, who used his power to obtain the dead blue_light's power.

Role:
    This one was one of my earliest inventions and one of my favourites, as well. I figured a normal lynch bodyguard was too strong so i modified this one a bit, which arguably made him better than a normal one in the end as being imprisoned could have been a great help for Outlaw. I hoped Outlaw would recruit this one from the start and was glad he did, in the end. Too bad she was godkilled. Note that she was only able to protect Outlaw when he was not killing.

14. Electric Ladyland - Nostradamus - Brain - M-26-7 - Lynched Day Five

Player:
    Very pleased with his ingenious use of his Role. After joining the Castro, pretty much took the faction over and did their public relations, many people were surprised he was not a faction leader in the end. Did a great deal of planning, but unfortunately got ruined by bad luck all along. People started to doubt the book ability because of bad coincidences from the start. Got hooked once and inspected twice on his short livespan, among others.

Role:
    Easily everyone's favourite role this time around. As some of you may know, I invented the role Announcer and donated it to Shiv for the game Apocalypse Mafia. I intended to use to fool people into believing stuff, not as a mean of communication. Unfortunately, nobody was using it the way I envisoned it. So I added the yes/no asking to the role so that people would benefit from using it the way I wanted. Brain made very good use of this role and I was very pleased by his performance. Too bad there was a lot of bad luck involved.

50. Ziggy Stardust - Fidel Castro - Shiv - M-26-7 - Killed Night Five

Player:
    Overall disappointed by his inactivity. Early game, claimed to be Freelancer to everyone but a select few people. Stumbled upon Brain who claimed Captain. In a pretty funny conversation they revealed to each other both had been lying, and Shiv obtained Brain's alias. evan gave his to him as well, making them easily the best team on Night Zero. As soon as Brain was on the boat, Shiv didn't do anything anymore though, Brain even had to send in his recruitment PMs every Night. Got namechecked by porygon3 which ultimately led to his demise by the hand of the Batista Regime.

Role:
    Standard recruiter. I hoped too see a Castro vs MI6 standoff in the end, but this was not to happen. I invisioned this to be much a more political mafia, with alliances actually lasting to route out a common enemy. People didn't quite do this and just backstabbed each other all over the place. Oh well.

42. The Moon & Antarctica - Fulgencio Batista - Gmax - Batista Regime - Killed Night Five

Player:
    This guy played very well, just as i expected. I intentionally made a "lesser" player leader because I was sure he would get the most claims, many people were afraid to talk to the other three because they thought they'd gave very high standards. Ended up getting the most claims of all and recruited a decent amount of claims. Was inspected by both Fishin and Eo, but he should have been immune to Eo's because of Flounders power, this was a fuck up on my part which ultimately led to his death by the hand of Castro. I made him leader without asking him beforehand, unlike every other of the leaders. He was pretty shocked.

Role:
    Standard recruiter, too. Because of Mekkah's Macho Brace combo this guy was able to be hooked and prevented from recruiting once, but when they tried again, Flounder's power was used to prevent the hook and the theft. Way to go!

03. Aftermath - Jimmy Conway - Hobo_Joe - Corleone Family - Killed Night Five

Player:
    Hah. The Hobo Joe Incident was mentioned quite a lot above, so I'll explain. Gmax told Joe that he was going to recruit him and got his alias. Earthworm gave this alias to AvatarST and pretended it was him and he wanted to be recruited. This made Avatar recruit Hobo Joe. Gmax pretended he was Avatar and his Forums were down and made Hobo Joe paste the whole Role PM thread to him. This is why the Italians just vengefully attacked the Batista or people they thought were Batista for most of the game. They only wanted revenge and considered themselves to have already lost. This and the fact that only lesser known players were left amongst them made the Italians win in the end as people underestimated them. One could argue that without the Incident, it would have been much harder to win. Killed by MI6 because of voting behaviour.

Role:
    The highest priority thief with a voting restriction. I envisoned he would use this to vote some of his team mates to confuse people after he has died but there was no time for this to happen, everyone knew all the Italians by Day Two anyway.

39. Strawberry Jam - Michael Corleone - Avatar ST - Corleone Family - Lynched Day Six

Player:
    Disappointed by this one, he was too inactive. Could have told me he was a busy guy and I'd have made someone else (Brain? Hip?) faction leader. He never gathered claims and just rand-targeted all game. After the Incident, he didn't even bother doing shit anymore and actively discouraged people like cookie from joining his faction and gave everyone his alias. Oh well. Got lynched because there was no target anyone else could agree on.

Role:
    Standard recruiter. Nothing else to say here.

07. Blackfield - Major Boothroyd - Fishin - MI6 - Killed Night Six

Player:
    Played as some kind of secondary recruiter for MI6, interrogating people and gathering info, but considerably less so than Mekkah. His timezone was not that good for MI6, as most of their members were European. Got killed by Outlaw after moi found him and gave him the alias.

Role:
    Standard inspector here. I originally intended those inspectors to be two inspects in three nights, but forgot about it when writing role PMs and just left it that way then. Should have corrected this mistake, information was too ubiquitous.

34. Purple Rain - Friedrich Nietzsche - Outlaw - Neutral - Lynched Day Seven

Player:
    People must have been surprised we chose Outlaw for wolf. We originally intended to use Lesm, but because of the Lesm is wolf gimmick this was too obvious. We both remembered Outlaw as a player with a lot of potential and who enjoyed hilarious gimmicks, so we made him the wolf in a last minute change. Played well when he recruited Rev, my favourite role for the wolf partner, early in the game. Got lynched because people discovered him by process of elimination and a role title inspect by Kinneas. He nearly got killed earlier by the Jackal Incident. The Jackal Incident was matamato sending in his kill PM to only Jackal and not me, so I did not see it. After a bit of drama we decided not to count the kill because really, either decision would have ensured a shit storm from one side and in my opinion letting him live was fairer.

Role:
    This is basically a revamp of Dark Link from Zelda. Both Jackal and I were of the opinion Earthworm played rather bad as Dark Link because he never idled, so we gave this one a kill cycle that required him to idle at least once in three nights, and he usually did it more than that. Had an invisible ally in moi, whom he found shortly before he was lynched.

41. The Genius - Frank Serpico - moi - Neutral - Mysterious fate on Day Seven

Player:
    moi played this one very slowly, he was not that aggressive and took his time. Recruited by Gmax on Night Zero, Italians slighly later and MI6 a lot later. thunda claims he played shit because he was not in all four factions by Night Three, but imo he played it just right because he had to hide and not be too prominent. If anyone was ever to discover he was a member of another faction by talking to a member, he would have been exposed immediately.

Role:
    Probably the biggest controversy in this game. This role was needed for Outlaw to stand something resembling a chance, a point which many of you neglect. It was not that well thought out, though, as it put me as a host in awkward situations at time, especially with the MI6. Ended up completely manipulating the Italians at his time of death, was not that influential in other factions, though. MI6 thought he smelled fishy because his role was much better than any other Freelancer and he had a huge amount of flavour text, so they locked him out in a forum called The Mental Ward. He was going to be recruited by Brain as well, but because of a holiday trip or something he ended up not supplying his alias in time. Bad luck here too. Oh yeah, if he ever was going to inherit the leader power of a faction, people would be notified he is unable to do so, effectively exposing him. He was able to perform kills though, he had the potential of performing four kills in a single night !!

08. Blackwater Park - Ernesto Guevara - StrangerDanger - M-26-7 - Killed Night Seven

Player:
    Was pretty inactive from what I can tell, played public relations man for a night or two until he died. Grabbed the Microphone from the junkyard but never used it. Told me he was trying to get involved more in mafia again, didn't see much of that.

Role:
    Probably the worst of the four wildcards. Cigars were a hindering item that put his team at disadvantage from the start and his power required an extensive amount of prediction. Probably should have given him a better item and have the Cigars start on a Freelancer. These things ended up deciding the game though, so he kind of helped the Italians win through his existence. Got killed by the Batista Regime in an attempt to severely weaken the Castro by killing both him and 378, but nobody ended up obbeying.

33. Physical Graffiti - Jules Winnfield - supermarth64 - M-26-7 - Killed Night Seven

Player:
    I let this guy in in a last minute change because he seemed enthusiastic and was hanging around in #havana all the time. Nothing of note here, really. He joined the Freelancer alliance of IPL, which was a kind of stupid move given the nature of his role. He ended up being double targeted by recruitments once before succesfully joining the Castros. Was killed by MI6 for the suitcase.

Role:
    This was the single worst role in the game, no ability whatsoever. His item encouraged people to kill him. But the suitcase was the most important item in the game, so it needed to start somewhere. Sorry pal!

25. Maggot Brain - Vanilla Ice - jumpluff - MI6 - Killed Night Seven

Player:
    jumpluff claimed hooker to Mekkah from the start which I thought was pretty risky, but it did pay off with an early recruitment. Forgot to send in a PM once and wanted to be subbed out for that, but I refused. Ended up being very helpful in Mekkah's Macho Brace plan. Killed supermarth64 for the suitcase, but was killed by Jimbo of the Movimiento in the very same night, so the suitcase ended up with him.

Role:
    Standard Hooker, nothing of note here. Gave jumpluff Vanilla Ice because we share a passionate fandom of the song Ice Ice Baby.

18. Funeral - Peter Petrelli - LightWolf - Batista Regime - Lynched Day Eight

Player:
    Lightwolf claimed to everyone he had a shit role that was not worth being recruited for most of the game, but then he decided to go to Gmax and reveal the truth. Gmax for some reason planned to not recruit him and abuse his explosive powers, which I thought was pretty dumb because this is an awesome role to have. After Gmax died, Earthworm officially took over the faction, but in reality it was run by Lightwolf. He read the ENTIRE logs of their channel from Night Zero until he joined them to understand properly what was going on. Was very enthusiastic about this game, it was sad seeing him being lynched that early.

Role:
    One of my favourite roles, but boy this guy got unlucky. He was targeted a grand total of two times in the whole game, once by Frances the Mute to copy bodyguard power intentionally, and once by Eo making him gain Alliance Checker power and leading to his demise. It was pretty frustrating telling him "You weren't targeted" for the first five nights in a row, lol.

16. Frances The Mute - Oddjob - Toothache - Batista Regime - Lynched Day Nine

Player:
    lol, legendary Frances. He was inspected by Batista on night zero and they just recruited him without any talk. He never ended up telling him who he was or talking to them, he just posted hilarious pictures all over their forum. Easily the most funny gimmick for me to observe, but it must have been pretty frustrating for the Batista. Unfortunately, this guy died because of a fuckup of mine as well, he was holding the Cigars as he was inspected, but I forgot this and gave the results to the Castro, which ended up having him die. This was bad on my side, I apologize.

Role:
    The second good bg, with a posting restriction of not being able to post text. I chose to do this because Toothaches stupid posts got him randkilled night one in YCI and he usually complains for dying early, so I made sure he wouldn't this time be being able to protect himself.

21. Images and Words - Shaquille O'Neal - darkie - M-26-7 - Killed Night Nine

Player:
    Jackal decided to make the rival twins some basketball players (only roles he chose) because I couldn't think of anything good. He gave them to darkie and Stallion, two notorious basketball fans. darkie was busy because of exams or something so he didn't end up doing a lot of shit. Was killed by Stallion so that he could gain his power. darkie would have gained the exact same one, fyi.

Role:
    These guys don't do anything at all until one dies, at which point they gain the ability to stop a lynch early and decide who dies. This was the same role Twinrova had in Zelda mafia, only on a different Twin format. People expected them to be more powerful, but I think this was appropriate.

48. Virgin Killer - Faust - Lesm46 - MI6 - Killed Night Nine

Player:
    lol. One of the most prominent aliases along with OK Computer, both were targeted like 3-4 times on Night Zero. Because of the controversial alias, everyone thought he was mafia and tried to lynch him repeatedly early in the game. Mekkah started to doubt this at some time and tried to pick him up but failed because of double recruitment. He tried again later, when it succeeded. He was killed by the Batista Regime a lot later, after being one of MI6 most useful tools in the midgame.

Role:
    One of the strongest Freelancer for sure, this one was the second to last role we added. We promised Lesm a good role before the game started as we intended to make him Wolf at this time, so we gave him this one. I should have switched this one's alias with Lightwolf's. Lightwolf wanted to be targeted but never was, while Lesm was targeted like a million times when it didn't help him at all. Oh well!

40. Tarkus - John Rambo - twash - MI6 - Killed Night Nine

Player:
    There is not a lot to say here, he claimed to Mekkah Night Zero and got recruited immediately and afterwards kept to his team mostly. He was useful in manipulating Kinneas for his team though, after the guy got subbed in twash was used as a mean of communication between him and the faction, until he finally got recruited. Killed by M-26-7 after having been inspected.

Role:
    Standard Silencer, was able to godkill together with blue_light. Read his notes for further information.

13. Doolittle - Adrian Monk - porygon3 - Batista Regime - Lynched Day Ten

Player:
    Had been a "fellow traveler" of the Regime for most of the early game, until he finally was recruited. Played pretty well and made little to no mistakes, Mekkah suspected him of being the wolf at one point because he couldn't figure out who he was allied with. Lynched after having been title checked by Kinneas. Voting behaviour made his alliance obvious.

Role:
    Smogon Name Discoverer, nothing unusual here either. Helped finding out who Shiv was, causing him to be lynched. Got useless quite fast. I always wondered why he never checked Frances, though.

11. Deadwing - Han Solo - stoo the wooden man - M-26-7 - Killed Night Ten

Player:
    Tricked Brain by modifiying his Role PM into a redirector one so he would be recruited fast. Worked reasonably well. After pretty much every Castro died, led them along with Jimbo. Actually believed Reinventing Axl Wolf. Deadtalked to 378 in the end, was disappointed by that but whatever, didn't end up mattering.

Role:
    Actually, I retract my previous statement about Jules. This role is the worst of the game by far. I made it terrible by having to target a specific item name, I don't know what i was thinking. Could have been used as a pseudo thief effectively if he was just targeting people like normal roles. Yeah I fucked that one up, sorry. Ended up saving the oh-so-useful Microphone the Night StrangerDanger died. Was killed by MI6. What a waste, they thought he was Indiana Jones the thief by process of elimination.

29. Nevermind - Indiana Jones - moot - Batista Regime - Died in basketball accident Day Eleven

Player:
    Got nearly subbed out for idling in the first two Nights, but after that got a bit more active. Stole the cigars from StrangerDanger and then was recruited and did nothing but obeying orders. Victim of the basketball move by Kobe Bryant. Had been looked for by the furious MI6 for ages as he stole all their shit, but for some reason was confused with Deadwing.

Role:
    Slowest thief, but oh boy. Stole at least 5-6 items, I didn't keep track of items so i can't tell you but wow, definitely the most valuable role of the Batista Regime.

24. London Calling - Horatio Caine - thunda - MI6 - Killed Night Eleven

Player:
    Hilariously false claimed to Mekkah and trolled him pretty much most of the early game until he got recruited. He and Mekkah planned a lot of fucking stuff an ended up being very succesful while doing so, unfortunately too succesful as everyone backstabbed them all over the place. One of the best and most enthusiastic players, as well. Was killed by Earthworm of the Batista Regime, which infuriated him pretty much.

Role:
    The single most important role in the game, it was vital for victory. MI6 might as well have given up at the point he died.

45. To the Extreme - Hyman Roth - Earthworm - Batista Regime - Killed Night Eleven

Player:
    Earthworm the idiot did a pretty poor job leading his team after Gmax died, LightWolf had to read ALL of the insect's logs to catch up and lead the team properly. He did a good job with the Hobo Joe situation, though. Was involved in the fake Freelancer alliance, which was pretty terrible. Also randomly stealth lynched Amelia which was amusing, made most people think he was mayor. I don't know why but he seemed a bit airheaded this game, I expected better.

Role:
    Standard inspector, got some good stuff along the way, like Frances. Also found out that Lincoln was a neutral by a very late inspection. I resumed writing the postgame after about a months of pause here, so from the point on it's pretty likely i forgot about some stuff, sorry.

06. Bat Out of Hell - Borat Sagdiyew - Doomsday - MI6 - Killed Night Eleven

Player:
    lol. Told Mekkah his role on n0 and expected to be recruited, but Mekkah accidentally had him kidnapped, stalling the whole deal for a great amount of time. For some reason I don't remember people thought this was Mekkah for some time, but it didn't make any sense because of the obvious posting restriction. Started lynches and pretended to be MI6 for most of the game while actually being a Freelancer. Was recruited as the very last Freelancer along with Kinneas late into the game, died soon thereafter.

Role:
    Uterly useless, has idled every single night he was alive. I gave this to Doomsday because I knew he'd have fun with the restriction, which he evidently did. Contestant for the worst role in the game.

22. In Rock - Harry Callahan - Eo Something - M-26-7 - Killed Night Eleven

Player:
    Outed Lesm46 as a Freelancer fairly early on, which caused the death of Amelia on Day One. Got added to the Freelancer Alliance by claiming to imperfectluck, then to Moviemiento, causing some others of the Freelancer Alliance to get recruited by Fidel as well. Alliance checked Lightwolf to cause the only role copy he ever did.

Role:
    Standard alliance checker, pretty handy role although nothing extraordinary. People didn't think such a Freelacner would exist, causing them to think he was on a starting faction as true inspector for most of the game.

09. Crimson King - Abraham Lincoln - Captain Kirby - Neutral - Got revenge and succumbed to SARS Night Eleven

Player:
    The Cap'n figured that his role is pretty good late game but sucks balls early so he didn't actually bother getting recruited and claimed to be on a faction. He di this so long that he turned into the last freelancer and thus also the neutral guy. He managed to infect everyone on the Night he'd have died through a good move, he had multiple people recruit him in one Night which caused a chain reaction of infections. Well played.

Role (Early):
    That one was supposed to be some sort of joker role, one that was supposed to induce a little wtf moment if he was ever to e lynched, which unfortunately never happened. After being lynched, he would have been turned into a unkill- and unlynchable user (albeit with an exposed alias) for the following three cycles, after which he'd die. This could have been deadly late game, but alas, it didn't happen. He was inspected twice, once very early, causing him to lose all of his surprise effect (and his item, which was just a filler on him, Jackal didn't know where else to put it so we figured to give it to him as he didn't have a Nightrole anyway).

Role (End):
    One of Jackal's contributions. I toyed with the idea of having two wolves, with the last freelancer turning into one, but Jackal thought that was too much with which I agreed in the end. We both don't like the useless or harmless neutrals, so he came up with this one, moderately harmful to everyone, not game disrupting, just in to cause some end game confusion and panic, which he did in the end. This role could have been literally everyone in the game as the last Freelancer alive would turn into it. It didn't take much skill to win, I'll agree to that, but I think it was a nice touch. You'd have to have had pretty bad luck being the only non recruited guy in the end anyway, so I think an "easy" win was justified.

01. 2112 - Léon - Da Letter El - Corleone Family - Lynched Day Twelve

Player:
    El didn't really do much except tag along with Jedil and the "doomed" Italians, both were randomly recruit by Avatar during Night Zero after having previously claimed to Gmax.

Role:
    We wanted to have two friendly twins and two evil twins. These were the friendly ones, they were basically a disjoined mayor that turned into a mayor after death. Nothing special, but the higher number of votes did make a difference in the end. I guess.

37. Roger the Engineer - Sir Miles Messervy - Mekkah - MI6 - Lynched Day Thirteen

Player:
    As I am writing this (December 27th) I have already forgotten a lot of stuff Mekkah has done, so bear with me if this paragraph turns out to be shorter to be expected. He amassed a large pile of logs in very little amount of time early game, talking to basically everyone and, if I recall correctly, even fooling some to be freelancer early one. His log output really seemed machine-like to me, like, if I went to lay an egg for five minutes there'd be 12 new logs in their log thread. He also made up cool stuff like the Operation Jackal plan where they claimed Jackal was wolf and stuff like that. Their IRC channel was fun to attend since it was active and busy all the time and it had fun conversation regarding mafia and non mafia topics, good atmosphere,. Unfortunately his faction was focused on a lot by the enemy factions, causing him to lose, which seemed to be beyond his control, however. Only blunder he made was not using shades power in that one fateful Night,

Role:
    Standard leader role, probably had the best starting team (and arguably also overall) team player wise.

04. Animals - The Batman - Jimbo - M-26-7 - Killed Night Thirteen

Player:

Jimbo didn't take no for an answer and claimed alias and role to no less than three factions, making sure to mention that the people he kidnaps die if he is killed. Kidnapped Doomsday during Night 1 on Mekkah's orders. He was recruited by Brain quite early, but was to be pushed around action-wise for a large portion of the earlygame until Mekkah ordered him to kidnap Brain. He responded by kidnapping thunda instead, and kept on kidnapping MI6 all the way to the end. Vote-wise, he got bothered all the time as well, especially since his vote worth was doubled with the Suitcase he held for a while. Ended up roadkilled by the last MI6 member, though. A fitting death.

Role:

A kidnapper that keeps people in his place for a set amount of time. A great asset for lategame, since it effectively hooks, silences and takes someone with you if you are killed. As mentioned before, he had a thing for kidnapping (future) MI6 agents.

47. Tubular Bells - Jack Dawkins - askaninjask - MI6 - Died of starvation Night Thirteen

Player:

One of the greatest misconceptions about Viva la Mafia is that cookie played in it. This is false; askaninjask subbed in for Carl at a very late point in the game. Carl got himself recruited into MI6 by mentioning to Mekkah that he knew a Freelancer bodyguard's alias (this being Bass), and proceeded to steal the Macho Brace from CaptKirby to use it for the Bracehook plan. Alas, he was blocked by Scaramanga after a second round of Bracehooking, then stole nothing useful for the rest of the game. Contracted SARS and was destined to die to it in the Batcave no matter what happened. Also, Carl misread the spreadsheet and reported that aamto had already been stolen from, which was in fact not true. This effectively saved the Cadillac for the Corleone Family.

Role:

Highest priority thief. Posting restriction was no problemo for any of the players involved.
    20. Hotel California - Kobe Byrant - Stallion - Corleone Family - Killed Night Thirteen

Player:

The only man to claim to the MYSTERIOUS VOICE, which in friendly terms could be called risky. Ended up in the Freelancer alliance, which meant half the game knew what he was pretty quickly. When imperfectluck noticed he would die, he gave Jedil access to his subforum and blocked out everyone else, which made Stallion part of the extremely limited club of successfull Corleone recruits. Ended up killing his archrival darkie and giving the Batista Regime basketballphobia for the rest of their lives.

Role:

See darkie.

35. Revolver - Francisco Scaramanga - Flounder - Batista Regime - Killed Night Thirteen

Player:

Flounder was a man with a bad reputation of being a fuckup. The Batista Regime famously made a post in their role PM thread on N0 praying that the last man not be Flounder. Turns out Flounder didn't do too badly after all! He was involved in planning early on, and was active right until he died. He made himself useful and proved that he could actually go a whole game without fucking up, and redeemed himself slightly.

Role:
    His role was the second best of the one-timers. It had the potential to cause a lot of roles to fail on the night it was used, and it would have succeeded on a grand scale if not for certain fuckups. As it was he made an already bad night for the MI6 even worse, by stopping an inspection, a hook, and most notably a theft of theirs which would have continued their brilliant Bracehook cycle. He should also have stopped an inspection and an alliance check performed by the Castros but nvm.

46. Toys in the Attic - Thomas Magnum - Kinneas - MI6 - Killed Night Thirteen

Player:

Kinneas subbed in for the idle SEO. Almost right after, twash and Mekkah set up some sort of school play that made it seem like Mekkah was a recruiter that was still considering recruiting twash and Kinneas (when twash had been recruited Night Zero). Due to his weak role, he was persuaded to contact IPL so that he could get himself added to the Freelancer alliance. This was a success, and MI6 obtained all the role PMs within. He subsequently voted with the team every time, though he clearly didn't really follow the game, causing him to be thoroughly confused when he was the last MI6 alive at the end.

Role:

Weak inv

26. Medulla - Gregory House - Andenken - Batista Regime - Killed Night Fifteen

Player: Didn't do much at first, got inspected by Earthworm and then Name Checked by porygon3, after a quick phone call Earthworm confirmed things with him. The recruit on him failed initially thanks to the Brace Hook, still got recruited into the batista even after getting alliance checked while still being freelancer. Saved a life and made up the fake where if he dies the hospital that cures people from CK's disease get's closed.

Role: The weakest Bodyguard being not able to self protect, but his target would discover if he was target by a killing role or not, situational but better than nothing.

17. Freak Out! - Al Neri - aamto - Corleone Family - Killed Night Fifteen

Player:
    aamto wasn't very enthusiastic about the game because of the unfortunate Hobo Joe Incident, which is completely understandable. On top of that, the Jackal Incident made him lose all his faith in the existence of a God, so he just idled all game and randomly used his power late in the game, causing Earthworms protection to be pierced. After the italians suddenly were in the spot light again and had a fair chance of winning, his interest reappeared and he considered all possibilities with Jedil and planned, causing the team to win in the end.

Role:
    One of the three wildcards. Very useful item, very situational role. For some reason noone took his item even though everyone knew he had it, they just assumed it was moved while it really wasn't. Jackal said this was the strongest of the wildcards but I think it was the second worst, after Guevara, who was clearly worse. It was put to decent use though as it helped take down E.T.I..

32. Out of Time - Camilo Cienfuego - Mr 378 - M-27-6 - Lynched Day Sixteen

Player:
    Mr 378 was an active player, who performed most, if not all of the Castro kills (I couldn't be fucked checking) and was instrumental in the lategame success of the Castros. He cleverly idled at the perfect moment, giving the Castros a 50-50 chance of walking away as victors of Viva La Mafia. Unfortunately, cyzir picked Jedil the Corleone, leaving 378's efforts unrewarded. Good job in the end nevertheless.

Role:
    Standard inspector, found nothing too significant. Inspected things like CK's initial role, darkie the basketballer and Flounder the night his role was used.
    23. Lights - Grigori Rasputin - cyzir visheen - Batista Regime - Lynched Day Seventeen

Player:
    Cyzir Visheen's role was known to both the MI6 and Batista on Night 0. The first peson he told his role to was Fishin, who apparently outright rejected him. Gmax then approached him, and made a deal with him to recruit him on Night 6. Until then he was a fellow traveller of the Batista faction, using his ability as instructed by them. After LightWolf and Earthworm's deaths, he took on the mantle of leader, and was quite successful until the very end, doing a fair job of putting his faction in a winning position. It was not to be, as bad internet stopped him changing his night actions to ones that would have sealed victory for the Batista Regime. In the end he got to choose who won Viva La Mafia, and chose Jedil the Italian over 378 the Castro. Solid play overall.

Role:
    A role that hadn't really been well thought out, and needed to be fleshed out some more. The Batista Regime intended to use it as a hooker by getting the PM sent minutes before the end of the day, but it was decided that this would be too broken, so I decided that his PM must be sent in before I left for school. This caused his action to fail once. This role came in handy once or twice.

38. Siamese Dream - Mathilda Lando and the Plant- Jedil/Da Letter El - Corleone Family - Victorious on Day Seventeen

Player:
    The only constantly active Italian, led a vendetta against the Regime because of the Hobo Joe Incident. Somehow managed to be used by multiple factions as a tool at the same time, but never really firmly allying to any, which made him win in the end. People severely underestimated him because they thought he was stupid as fuck, which one could arguably debate for, but in the end, he seemed to be better than expected since he figured out what to do in the end. Unexpected victory by unexpected player, congratulations.

Role:
    We wanted to have two friendly twins and two evil twins. These were the friendly ones, they were basically a disjoined mayor that turned into a mayor after death. Nothing special, but the higher number of votes did make a difference in the end. Also had the gimmick item Plant that didn't do anything. He never even gave it away, though.
  2. dak

dak

Awards:

Best Escalator:
    Mr. Escalator
    There was hard competition between Mr. Esc and escalator_dude, but Mr Esc just managed to snatch it for his gracious performance on Night One. Congratulations!

Overall Least Valuable Player:
    Hobo_Joe
    Yeah. No contest on that one. There ain't much I haven't said already 'bout this guy, so I'll just leave it at that.
    Shameful mention for stoo who commited dead talk and told 378 about the Cigars and Jedil's Mayor ability in the very end of the game. Don't do that ever again you dickmuncher.

Most Hilarious Mistakes:
    MI6
    - Revolver must be pookar, nobody else would possibly post "fucking ray charles"
    - Were pretty insistant that To the Extreme cannot possibly be Earthworm and that he must be Nevermind
    - Discovering something was fishy about moi, locking him out of their forum only to let him back in a day later
    - After Doomsday had claimed having to post in broken english and doing such a post, Mekkah didn't notice and had Jimbo kidnap him.
    Honourable mention to Amelia for ignoring the syntax which lead to his death.

Least Valuable Team:
    The Corleone Family
    Yeah, they won. Big deal. Did nothing at all for most of the game, over half of their kills failed, were inactive as fuck and didn't contribute much to the game in general. People underestimated them, which ultimately made them win.

Most Stupid Action:
    Jimbo
    Claimed to three faction early in the game for pretty much no reason, and even told them his target would die if he held them and listened to their commands at first, too. This was pretty suicidal, although nobody ever killed him for that, he got lucky there. Don't feel to bad about this though, you played decent later in the game.

Best WTF moment:
    Brain not being recruiter
    Through hilarious coincidences, Brain and Shiv managed to get people confused as to who is Freelancer and who is Recruiter. While it didn't make much of a difference in the end, this was still a pretty confusing event for most people.

Most Underrated Player:
    LightWolf
    This guy is a beast, he read about two weeks worth of logs when he was recruited to be able to sufficiently lead his team. He must have been angry as fuck when he died like one or two days later, all the effort was in vain. Pretty good moves and no mistakes with that one, keep playing like this.
    Honourable mention to Gmax, he is a well-known player and most people knew he was good already, but I do think this game solidified his position as one of the best players pretty well.

Best Gimmick:
    Outlaw
    Ohhhww, baby!
    Honourable mention to to thunda for including a Horatio Caine joke in every single PM he sent. YEEEAAAAAH!
    Another Honourable mention to Doomsday for his hilarious broken english posts, even though they were a posting restriction. This was funnier than I imagined!

Best Troll:
    Frances the Mute
    For those who don't know it already, he never posted a single word, never revealed who he was and only posted a shitload of pictures to express thoughts in the Moncada Subforum. Pretty good stuff, althought it must have been annoying for his team.

Best Use of Role:
    Brain
    Played Nostradamus perfectly, very creative and fresh approach, did a lot of plans while he was alive too. Unfortunate victim of bad luck.
    Honourable mention to moot who stole like 293203 things during the game.

Worst luck:
    Movimiento 26 de Julio
    Having recruited two of the best players and roles on Night Zero, I was sure they were going to get really really far. Unfortunately, they were brought down by inactivity of their own members except Brain (who had to send every single Night PM of the team several times) and really bad luck in being targeted. All of evan, Brain and Shiv died within a small time frame, none of them even made it to the midgame.
    Honourable mention to the Batista Regime, all of my fuck ups were pretty much against them, that was kind of gay, apologizing again.

Best False Claim:
    Andenken
    He made up that Medulla was Gregory House and that the Hospital would close down upon his death. People were afraid to kill him because of this, which made their last Bodyguard live for a long time. He had Earthworm distribute this lie.
    Honourable mentions to thunda, who claimed he was able to hook two people at once, but if your Night PM included a smilie, it wouldn't work. If he still has the PM me may post it, it was hilarious and after he claimed that to people I actually received PMs with smilies for a couple of Nights...
    Another Honourable mention to shade, whose Mr. Pink PM was pretty rad.

Best Freelancer:
    imperfectluck
    Easily one of my favourite players this time around. Watching him play was hilarious, he played extremely aggressive for no other reason than that I told him we gave him this role to wreck havoc, which he did perfectly. It's a shame that he was lynched and didn't use his rogue power, him operating from death using the Mysterious Voice would have been the best thing ever, lol. His Freelancer alliance was bascicaly just a scheme to fuck as many Freelancers over as possible, which did work because Kinneas infiltrated it and sold all info to the MI6. Castro recruited themselves Eo to get all the info, don't recall how/if Batista got it. When it was obvious that he was going to die, ipl removed everyone's access and added Jedil for some reason. Italians owe him for this one because this is what made them get Stallion in the first place. Even though he technically lost, he is still a winner in my book!

Overall MVP:
    Mekkah
    Yeah. Mekkah was definitely the most enthusiastic player during this game, made millions of plans (none of which ever really got to fruition but whatever) and just played really really well. This guy was a machine, he pumped out about five interrogation logs an hour in the early game phase.
    There were many people here who played very well, but most of them, like Gmax and Brain, died too early unfortunately. Mekkah definitely deserves this award, outstanding play. Too bad we still never have been allied. Also thanks for being the co-host after dying (took you long enough).
    Honourable mention to thunda, who was extremely involved in the MI6 planning as well as maintaining Viva la Spreadsheet.

That's it. The following two posts contain comments by Gmax and Mekkah, who ,along with Lightwolf, helped me get this Postgame done.

Line of Gratitude: Thanks.
  3. Gmax

Gmax kuahahahaha
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

So, the day Viva started, I opened my Smogon PMs and found the password to the account The Moon & Antarctica. After logging in and knowing the format of the game, I was shocked to see a secret forum led by The Moon & Antarctica. I hurried to read my role PM, and found that I was the leader of The Batista Regime, Fulgencio Batista, assisted by a Jewish mob boss, and the man with the golden gun. I didn't know who exactly I was dealing with though. Soon, Hyman Roth, my right hand, revealed himself to be Earthworm. After receiving this good news, we waited for our final member, who turned out to be Flounder. (much to our chagrin)

I received a decent number of alias claims during N0, and the best candidates appeared to be moi(fuck you moi), billymills, Jedil and imperfectluck. We didn't want a rogue, and while 2 recruits for the price of one was cool, we decided billymills would probably be a better man to have around, and his role would offer some sort of protection as well. So we recruited billymills and moi(fuck you moi), and decided to get Jedil later. Cyzir Visheen also revealed himself as the psychic, a useful role, but one we decided we would wait on him.

So when N0 ended we were recruiter/inspector/one-time mass-safeguard/reverse martyr/(BAN ME PLEASE). Once D1 rolled around, the mysterious old book's announcement and Eo's response had us convinced that Holy Fuck was a mafioso on an opposing team. So we had moi send in a private vote for him. Earthworm, anticipating Holy Fuck stealth lynching Virgin Killer, prepared for this eventuality, and counter stealth-lynched. Foolish Amelia could've helped out moi earlier and saved himself by voting right, but he fucked up, so that was that. In the meantime I convinced Porygon3(alias->Smogon name) to work with us, and he gave us Bass' alias: Rocket To Russia. Meanwhile, Earthworm was speaking to Shiv, whose freelancer alliance claim we believed, and trying to worm his way into the freelancer alliance. MrEsc told me that he could see what was n the graveyard and revealed the presence of the Manifesto, an item that upped the holder's recruitment priority, something highly useful this early in the game.

N1 began. The previous night's inspection, was Frances The Mute/Oddjob/BG/pro (BAN ME PLEASE). Earthworm had been in touch with him via PM and from his responses he appeared to be an intelligent player and we decided that a BG who was a good player would make a great recruit. Hobo Joe, Moot and Cookie all revealed themselves to be thieves to me. Moot and Hobo Joe gave their aliases though, while Cookie didn't. Earthworm decided to deceive the Corleones into thinking they were getting him, and that he was a thief. He gave them Hobo Joe's alias(Aftermath) as his own. Flounder picked up the Manifesto. Lightwolf told me that he had the chameleon ability and could explode any night and take 2 others with him. I didn't think this would be overly useful until he picked up an ability, though he did agree to work with me.

During Day 2, through a series of events, we obtained each and every Corleone alias and role up to that point. When I contacted Avatar, looking for an alliance, he appeared hostile, refusing to work with us, saying that they would lose for sure if Batista weren't killed off. We got P3's results on Images and Words who was darkie, whom we knew to be a basketballer. Imperfectluck got bored and decided to randomly lead a lynch on Lesm, who countervoted Mirage. For some reason this evoked a rain of votes on imperfectluck. Ipl asked us to save him, and in exchange for the alias and Smogon name of the other basketballer, we arranged a stealth lynch on Emergency & I, whom we knew to be Kannon, the Italian inspector. GTS, Jimbo, ipl, and moi(secretly) were involved. I also spoke to Bass, armed with his alias, and strongarmed his role out of him. He was a bodyguard who could self-protect. He also revealed that he had claimed both role and alias to Cookie. Flounder gave me the manifesto. Fishin approached me with an offer that would benefit both our factions greatly. He told me that he had recruited a silencer, and discovered a persuader. Since they could not co-exist on a team, he offered me the persuader to coordinate kills. We could not reach an agreement though, since I felt I was getting the short end of the stick with a guy who was just a sitting duck for the MI6 whenever they felt like killing him off. We would basically be guaranteeing ourselves second place by taking this deal. We also received inspection results on Medulla, who turned out to be ANOTHER BG, albeit weaker than the other 2 since he couldn't self protect. At this stage, we both saw Castro as the biggest threat, so we agreed to eliminate/weaken them before dealing with each other. We only had Mirage as a confirmed target though, so I left that to him.

Next night, we were faced with the options of recruiting Porygon3, Cyzir Visheen, Bass, and blue_light(the persuader). The situation with Bass was annoying. While he WAS a BG, one of the most valuable roles in the game, he was also exposed to another faction, which was recruiting him that night. If I recruited him, the manifesto would make him mine for sure, but he would surely be lynched or killed eventually by the faction he had claimed to. So we questioned him as to who had wanted to recruit him, and found out that it was cookie, which confirmed him as a recruited man, and sealed our future thief as Moot. We killed Bass, deciding to waste a factions' recruit, since we didn't want to be walking with 2 living dead (blue_light being the other one). Still not sure whether this was the right move. I made a deal with Cyzir to recruit him on Night 6, allowing us to recruit Porygon3 and blue_light. Porygon3 discovered that Medulla was Andenken, which was cool since Earthworm was p. much his only friend on IRC, aside from perhaps myself, so he would likely be an isolated man.

We were on a high going into Day 3, but this didn't last long. Billymills, who had been really useful so far for planning and keeping records was voted off by everyone because we were the faction with no deaths so far. No worries right? Yeah well that was just the beginning. The following night started with the arrival of a surprise package on my desk, that happened to contain the Macho Brace. Earthworm established contact with Andenken and we found that he had talked to no one, so we finally had a BG whom we could talk to (fucking Tooth ~_~). I was giving the Brace away to someone (I don't remember whom, cbf checking). We killed off Raikage since we surmised he would have revived Kannon, and we were right! Day 4 began with a nasty bang in the death of blue_light, ruining the silencer/persuader alliance with MI6. It also brought the death of one of the mysterious Castros, on whom we had NO information thus far. I found out my recruitment of Andenken failed because I had been hooked, and my pockets had apparently been picked as well. This was the MI6's Bracehook strategy, to give the Brace to me everyday, and hook/steal from me every night. Lightwolf also finally gave me his alias. On N4, we decided the Bracehook chain needed breaking So we decided to unleash Flounderise (mass safeguard). If it had gone through correctly, it would have blocked a steal, a hook, two inspections, and an alliance check. As it is it stopped the hook/steal on me (breaking Bracehook), and an inspection on Frances the BG. Big Flounder. We picked up Andenken and Moot, adding a BG and a thief to our ranks. dak told me once I died that during this night, we were the only ones to successfully recruit, which kinda made up for the shitty previous night. We also finally found out the deal with the book by inspecting Brain. To top it off P3 informed us that Ziggy Stardust was Shiv.

Brain got lynched the next day, since everyone agreed the Castros were too strong. The following night we decided to kill off Shiv, since we were sure he was on a faction by now, even if he hadn't been earlier, since he'd stopped talking. He turned out to be the last big Castro, so it was a good kill. I died as well though, and my team was left pretty much leaderless, since Earthworm had been rather inattentive, and all the info I'd gathered and pasted in the channel wasn't remembered by anyone. Thankfully though, Lightwolf saved the faction by delving into Earthworm's logs and reading EVERYTHING right from the beginning. Lightwolf you fucking monster, there is no one I am gladder to have recruited lol. Too bad he died the next night. This didn't hurt as much as it would have a night or 2 ago because Earthworm was finally getting into the thick of things. Fast forwarding to the elimination of MI6, this was organised by Earthworm and Jimbo, who collaborated to eliminate the biggest mutual threat. After Earthworm's death, Cyzir handled everything, and he did so capably. Sadly, victory was not to be ours. We come to Day 16, starting with Cyzir (Batista) having used up his kill for nights 15 and 16 holding the mayor item, Jedil (Corleone) holding the Cigars (rendering his dual vote void), also being unable to kill, and Mr378 (Castro) having made his smartest move of the game so far by idling on Night 15, and having a kill saved up for the next night being the last men alive. So Batista ironically had "guaranteed second place", precisely what we tried to avoid in our deal with MI6. Cyzir voted off Mr378, the final event in a bizarre series of events that culminated in the Corleones, who had given up the game sometime around Night 3, winning the first ever recruit-styled mafia. Kind of put a damper on an otherwise amazing game.
  4. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I wrote this light years ago.

August 9th. I receive the key to Vauxhall Headquarters for the first time, and look around. There were three desks. One was mine, it had several letters piled on it. Another was empty. The third had a man standing behind it. He was working on something.

“Hello Sir Miles, here’s to a successful eradication of Cuba.” Fishin said.
    “Yes, I quite agree. Now what is that you’re working on, Q?” I responded.
    “This is the Identigraph. It will allow me to gather information for your faction. By the way, you should read the letters on your desk.”

I read them. One was the instructions of my powers. About employment, killing methods, position changing and all that. The other was about the absence of my current 00 Agent, James Bond, also known as Shade. He would return from his vacation real soon, and until then, I would have to carry out his missions myself. There was a third letter describing James Bond’s résumé.

And so it began for the MI6. And it began pretty well. Jumpluff got me her alias and role in my first convo with her (though it took her a while to give the alias). Twash demanded to know one of my teammates first, but I did end up getting his alias as well. Now we were armed with a fresh hooker and silencer, in addition to inspection, a one time team bodyguard, the crucial stealth vote Rolex and of course the announcement.

Then I had three more claims. There was thunda, who claimed to be a double hooker + silencer whose target can circumvent these roles if he puts a smiley in a role PM (lol). He was on for like 15 minutes a day since he was enjoying a vacation in France back then. He refused to give me his alias until I gave him one of mine, so I ended up giving my own, which was a large risk but he was literally bothering me every day. Wouldn’t take the risk again, but it turned out well. And then cookie claimed thief to me, and also said he talked to a bodyguard freelancer who gave him his alias. I could only recruit one guy this night, so I went with cookie so I could recruit this bodyguard as well as thunda next time.

With cookie on my team, we could steal from CaptKirby (who we only knew as CrimsonKing, the president holding the Macho Brace) and then set up the amazing combo of giving the Macho Brace to someone at day, then hooking them at night to stop recruitments while stealing the Macho Brace back. We knew both Gmax and AvatarST’s alias (Gmax from inspection, Avatar because he gave it to everyone who asked) and decided to use it on Gmax because his team was more threatening.

I recruited thunda and Bass the bodyguard next night. Sadly, Bass had claimed role to Gmax (who found out his alias through porygon3) and was told to protect OK Computer (and actually did it because he thought he couldn’t protect himself _when this was stated in his role PM_) and Gmax obviously killed him. It also turned out thunda lied about his role, but his real role (death investigation + handcuffs) was actually beter (we always joked around that it was crucial for victory)…thunda also claimed that if I hadn’t recruited him that night, he would have cuffed himself to me and refused to cooperate. Glad to know.

From here on the game continued to have nights which were awesome, and nights which were terrible. There would never be an MI6 lynch anywhere during early or midgame, though a few close calls. We generally killed unknowns, which were Castros nearly all the time because they kept hiding themselves. My favourite kill was by thunda on evan, who we were attempting to lynch previous day simply because he was silenced (I got both IPL and Lesm to vote for him instead of each other, but it ended up being geared towards Kannon instead after Gmax’s mean gay ass tactic) Since Brain had threatened Lesm not to vote Mirage, I thought this was a pretty good kill.

Also, Fishin inspected OK Computer (blue_light) the Persuader and gave this alias to Gmax (in retrospect he shouldn’t have…Gmax became way too greedy) so that we could silence + persuade people. Sadly OK Computer was murdered, but we got one godkill in on Outlaw’s sexy lawyer by getting Lesm to necromance his role.

We also ended up recruiting Accent, which confirmed to us there were multiple hookers, and thus likely multiple other roles like thief, bodyguard, etc. Having two hookers was cool for our macho brace hooking combo, since it meant we could Gmax two nights in a row…which we did.

The update of Day Four was really stupid, with dak even asking us before he updated ‘so Shade is idling?’ which was our ‘last chance to use Die Another Day’ afterwards. Accent also died, but the fun didn’t end there. Both Fishin’s inspection on Medulla (Andenken) and cookie’s theft from The Moon&Antarctica (Gmax) failed due to the bunker skill from Scramanga (Flounder) which Gmax cashed in that night. And to add icing on the cake, the recruit on Lesm failed, which was because apparently multiple other factions tried to recruit him there.
    However, the day that followed was a massacre of Castro with Brain’s death, as well as Shiv’s at night (though it turned out he didn’t do shit as usual…) so as far as I’m concerned from there it was between Batista and MI6, with Italians always being up for hitting a Batista. Castro sometimes got involved, occasionally following orders. Gmax was also killed somewhere around here, which was kind of gay since Earthworm was really much more annoying to work with.

Other interesting Freelancers I talked to were Doomsday and Kinneas. The former I ordered to be kidnapped by Jimbo completely randomly on n1, which caused Doomsday to claim he was Bat out of Hell to me. I told him I’d get him out of the batcave if he helped me with voting and stuff, which he did oh so nicely. Kinneas was the victim of a nice double act with me and Twash, where Twash pretended to be still Freelancer. He voted with us nearly all the time too, and we got him into IPL’s subforum of Freelancers and got all the info out of it. Of course his alias got ratted out before IPL got lynched, but he kept voting with us anyway. I also talked to both Lesm and Amelia from the start, but Amelia couldn’t be saved. Definitely would have recruited him. Those two and Lesm ended up being recruited by us later.

And of course there was moi, but fuck that role.

And then lategame became just politics and apparently people were so afraid of us that they kept kidnapping and killing us, so we actually ended up being eliminated first, but as far as I’m concerned (and dak agrees with me so I’m not just being self righteous!!!) we were on top of this game quite a bit. It was just very unrewarding since every time we were about to get really good like two guys died.

Still the most enjoyable game for me so far though, since in almost every single other one I was on a team that got massacred while also being out of the loop. Thanks dak!

PS I’m a better co-host than Jackal. Jessica 4 lyf ;)
  5. dak

dak

Note: Most of this was written months ago, and the stuff that wasn't was obviously written months later so the quality of information of the later comments is obviously worse, we forgot a lot of stuff by now.
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hehe yea I fucked up big time but I still made it far : ) I blame my screwups on me being too trusting of big boys gmax and mekkah (assholes!) Thank you Brain for recruiting me !

Also I confirm that I was hassled for votes probably every 3.2 seconds, through forum PM, IRC, IRC Memos, and MSN.... yea. This game was a lot of fun though, I especially liked screwing with Mekkah's team.

also batman can't be killed by a fucking car I have armor
  7. cookie

cookie Administrator
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Soc. Forums Leader

i* did not 'misreport' that the cadillac had already been stolen from; we collectively assumed it already had been stolen; you're a massive (BAN ME PLEASE) but you already know that

*carl
  8. Thorns

Thorns

vendetta requires a certain amount of m. jackson
  9. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

jumpluff you killed me? :( I thought we had something going on.

Bah, being mayor sucks. Probably would've done more if I had an actual role.
  10. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

time for jackal the dog to weigh in his comments on his creation HEh!!!!!

1) dak asked me to plan a mafia with him that was different than all the others and would spice things up cause he knew i was the best~
    2) we talked actually for weeks about how we could change things up, we discussed everything you could possibly ever think of. Among these ideas were having 3 mafias and one village, having a game full of 45 neutrals, having a game where no one was told their faction name and had to figure out who was their ally based on various clues, having 3-4 equal sized mafia factions with no day/night cycle, and some other stuff im surely forgetting.
    3) my favourite was the 45 neutrals, but after i literally spent a day trying to figure out the logistics, i determined that it would actually be impossible.
    4) my other favourite was the equal sized factions, so I started my brainstorm process from there. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I know we were looking at past wolves to determine what a wolf could be in a 4 faction game, and i saw clthulu and secretly in my head i really really still wanted 45 neutrals somehow and it all just clicked together in my head. I explained my idea to dak and he liked it / helped polish it, and viva la mafia was born.
    5) From we both figured out the logistics, how many people start on each team, how recruiting worked, how kills worked, how lynching worked, what neutrals would be involved, etc. Once we were pretty much happy with this, dak pretty much took over.
    6) We both started rhyming off what roles we would want the freelancers to be, but after a while it was dak who was coming up with most of the freelance roles. I basically just contributed the neutrals/wild cards and helped decide how many each of BG/theif/hooker etc there should be. Brains role and Lesms role were brilliant in my opinion!
    7) dak then came up with the theme and literally just started writing up role pms. this officially marked the point of me turning into a lazy dog. eventually he wrote every single role pm, came up with every custom title, every kill method, every bit of flavour there was, which i thought was very interesting to read!
    8) the only thing i was left with were the basketball players, whose PMs i wrote to kind of trick people into thinking they were fake, since my writing style is very different than daks. I also wrote the smogon topic OP.
    9) after dak pretty much had his way with the google doc, he asked me to do a run over of it and suggest ways to change it / balance it etc and to do items. I did most of the items/came up with the wildcard powers/decided who should hold the items. I also approved of his random new additions like standoffs and the junkyard (both were excellent)
    10) im pretty sure he sent out every single pm and then did every single hosting duty from there on afterwards. arf arf!
    11) Why am i numbering these??? I honestly did read every single thread and kept up with the game, I always knew what was going on until i left for school in september, at which point I had no idea, and was very sad to see the outcome. The only teams that deserved to win based on play were gmax's or mekkah's, so that sucks :(
    12) kudos to dak for doing all the work, but at the end of the day I was just there for the idea / balancing the game, which is what I said from the beginning. I know dak wanted to actually host the game, something I had done before and had no interest in doing again. I like to create things, not host them.
    13) woof!
    14) In terms of the actual game, dak said pretty much everything there was to say. Two teams played well, I would have liked to have seen one of them win!

Moving forward with this theme, I think the experiment was successful and I would like to see another game like this in the future, this way I can actually play!

In terms of improving it, I think early and mid-game it was perfect, but lategame was obviously a mess as it is hard to take down 3 other factions teaming against you if you are the best faction. I don't know how to fix this, but it is definitely the glaring flaw. Other things to look at improving are possibly the logistics of the lynch, since there is no mafia there is no "good lynch" for any majority group so its kinda just a mess. Don't know how to fix this either.

I'm glad so many people had fun and this really was a pleasure to design/watch/bark.
  11. Bass

Bass Brother in arms
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Viva la Mafia was one of those games that comes up a lot in many conversations related to mafia, and often times with much praise. It's the one game that most people will never forget on this site, and I think Jackal and dak should be commended for that.

However, I think everyone here knows by now that this is probably one game I would like to forget as far as playing goes... Not only could I not have played any worse, but I am sure that even today, several MI6 members may still hold a grudge against me.

Basically, I wasn't exactly a reputable player going into this game, and it was radically different from anything else I have played before. Honestly, as a freelancer bodyguard, I had no idea about what I was supposed to do, let alone the best way to get recruited. Things seemed to be moving extremely fast, but luckily, cookie was recruiting for MI6 in #havana, so of course I told him of my role. He then told me I had to wait until the next night to be recruited, and until then not to talk to anyone else...

For a while, this seemed to work out alright. Then, I get a query from Gmax being his typical self. He threatened me to tell him everything I knew. Now, had I known I could have protected myself, I would have told him to fuck off, but I didn't, and Gmax proved that he knew my alias, so I was pretty much helpless. Gmax then tricked me by stating that he wanted to recruit me, and that his had priority over all others (Well, this was later revealed to be true, but nonetheless I mad a bad move). Thus, I more than happily told him my role, alias, and that I previously agreed to be recruited by MI6. A day later, I am dead... and I now have tons of angry PMs from cookie and the MI6 about my death. In case you were wondering, it was this incident that makes me want to kill Gmax as much as I do now.

Now, why didn't I protect myself despite it clearly stating that I could in my role PM? Well... I was already a BG in several previous games, so ignoring the fact that this game was completely different, I basically just glanced over the part of my role PM that stated my role and didn't bother reading the details... I think this one simple, yet devastating oversight has probably influenced the way I have played in every game since. Now I often pester the hosts with questions over the slightest ambiguities in my role PM.

I think that might have been too tl;dr, but I really wish I could play a game like this again without making such a mistake.
  12. Outlaw

Outlaw

Don't forget about me trying to get my one true partner in the game lynched all the god damn time on IRC because he was obviously the mastermind behind everything.
  13. dak

dak

i completely forgot about these as they never got to happen and i dont think i told anyone about this afterwards, either

we came up with the idea if that if two people, both armed with killing license, decide to kill each other, the outcome would be decided via a kind of glorified version of rock/paper/scissor called a standoff, where the player would input shoot/dodge/charge (or something similar, i forgot the actual choices) that would act exaclty like rps and there would be a small flavour writeup if this was ever to happen

the reason for this was since all kills had equal priorities, a standoff situtation like this would have to be solved somehow, but i didnt deem both (or none) dying acceptable.going for an entirely random system would suck as well, so we decided for the middel way, the rps method

unfortunately, this never happened so i only wasted my time inventing this. this was among the first ideas i had, though
  14. moi

moi

really good game! i dont wanna go through details on a lot of things but i remembered one moment!

so, when i had finally gotten through every piece of info for the complete sheet, except for one, i pmed that alias, knowing the result. it was the wolf i needed. pming said user, i was treated to trolling to the enth degree. it was quite possibly the most painful day i had to wait until outlaw finally revealed himself.

which led to the most ironic moment anyone could possibly of expected. outlaw, the genius hater, had teamed up with his only ally. lol. i dont really think this is a result anyone could of expected but it was quite humorous.

other things of note - if not for fishin being a backstabbing liar, i would've been found out. on the night fishin was supposed to recruit me (which is why i delayed brain from recruiting me the first time with some bullshit excuse), i was randomly recruited by the italians. i think i had just received the mecenary duties for them on the day of my death, too. what a shame

oh right. i was made subleader of the italians for a second, but then got avatar to revoke and give it to jedil, for "honour" reason i think. dak warned me what wouldve happened if avatar died so that was the closest i had ever came to getting leader powers, as i figured after what i saw in batista that they'd be the easiest to take over. also im sorry gmax for all my "results" from previous nights that i gave to jedil they may or may not for the majority have been batista members i can neither confirm nor deny this
  15. twash

twash
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I think I have said before that despite my mediocre activity, I thoroughly enjoyed this game, moreso than others. Props to dak and Jackal.

Unfortunately, there is not much I can really say about the game in-depth. It was great to get recruited on the first night, I was extremely suspicious of whether Mekkah actually was going to or not. I think the main thing I did was manipulating my good friend Kinneas in his first Smogon game. It must have sucked for him when he got recruited and realised that Mekkah and I had bullshitted completely, but whatever. Recruitment happened as we went down a specific road, and he ended up with a decent shot of winning in the end (MI6 were obviously the greatest, and most British faction). Anyway, Kinneas got the Role PMs nicely, and that's what we wanted.

Oh, and I have the thank Mekkah (and the other MI6 players!). They pretty much did everything like most games while I sat back, and they did a great job in truth. It was fun seeing things pan out the way it did at the end I guess, even if we lost.

DENNIS BERGKAAAAAAAAMP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exlBHTyB1R0

16. aamto

aamto on whom the three Fates smile

at the end of the day, the Italians took it all home. i don't care if you all played a million times better than us, second place is still the first loser!

boss man jedil forever

no but seriously it was an outrageously good game, even though i did not have the most fun playing it (it was like a rollercoaster: woah this is awesome -> goddamn hobo joe sucks -> goddamn jackal can't read pms -> woah we can win?! -> woah, we won). excellently fresh ideas.
  17. Flounder

Flounder

This was easily the best mafia game I've played. The batista regime was a great team, the likes of which I'll probably never see again.
    "please revolver dont be flounder" was also the funniest damn thing I've ever seen, I basically posted my pm, and then went to my room and laughed for a bit.
    There's a lot everyone could say about this game, but I'll keep my mouth mostly shut and just say that another game of this style would be pretty cool, assuming the hosts are as excellent (all mishaps aside!) as dak and Jackal were.
  18. shade

shade sweet like sugar
    is a Forum Moderator

lol stoo believed the jackal wolf thing, bow your head in shame my friend

(also fooling gmax with mr pink was fun)

great mafia game, dakkal
  19. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

Underlined part... doesn't seem to fit.

Anyway, awesome game, best I've played so far. PMs were awesome, roles were innovative, my team was the best, etc.

I basically talked to Earthworm, Fishin, and Gmax at the start and was probably going to team up with one of them. Earthworm having claimed FL and Fishin/Gmax recruiters.

Toothache and Earthworm were really disappointing. Flounder, Lightwolf, and Cyzir were impressive men.
  20. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

[​IMG]

that actually is the one and only contribution i made to this game
  21. Outlaw

Outlaw

Sir aamto, why did you gun for me so?
  22. Mr.378

Mr.378

This was a good game, as others have said. Unfortinate that my attamt of victory fell short in the end, but still, Good Game everyone.
  23. jumpluff

jumpluff *red Admiral
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Wow, this was a very good and fair postgame, thanks, dak! It was also an enjoyable game, thank you to Jackal and daquiri. FORZA MI6!

Also, I forgot so I'm just going to ask in this thread. Was the 2112/Siamese Dream twin thing rigged? Because I suggested midgame in the channel that they were likely the twins based on other more concrete things and that 2112 is a palindrome and olol siamese twins, and I thought it was pretty stupid but I guess thunda didn't. Turned out to be right~
  24. moot

moot

\o/ I am a god.
  25. jumpluff

jumpluff *red Admiral
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Okay, finished the rest of the postgame (didn't notice for awhile it had been posted o_o), wanted to comment on the rest! Sorry, supermarth, you can blame big Mekkah for the cockblock. :( Anyway, I took a huge risk with Mekkahkins there. Mekkah played me hilariously in YCI, so I thought it would be pretty funny if Mekkah recruited me for real. Plus I really like Mekkah and get along well with him (which is true of Gmax as well, I don't speak to Brain and Avy as much but I do like them, I reasoned that everyone would be going to Brain though and no sign of Avatar!). I figured I'd have a good chance of winning with a talented leader, and I really, really wanted to be recruited. I wasn't sure how he'd value my role (which was hilarious, I laughed so hard when I read it, I love roles that are injokes as well, thanks, dak!), so I planned on lying and claiming I was some kind of inspector. I managed to inquire what Mekkah considered valuable, and he said martyr was the least valuable, and roles like hooker and bodyguard were the most valuable to him at that point in time. I breathed a sigh of relief, and figured, well, I could easily be lying now I know what Mekkah would recruit, but he would just have to trust me, and I gave him my role PM. He seemed somewhat open to recruiting me, with obvious reservations, and I was hesitant to give him my alias as well, but in the end I did and it paid off. I'm really glad I took that risk! Made me pretty anxious duriing N0, and I doubt Mekkah was the most confident guy ever about the recruitment, but it paid off for us, I think.

I was overjoyed with all my teammates, and decided I wanted Earthworm on my side. I'm not going to go into details, but I managed to procure the information that EW was Batista. Gmax made efforts to recruit me (EW probably nagged him to as well), but I just demurred that I had a bad role, wouldn't be recruited, and would be a disadvantage to the faction, I'd rather let my faction get better roles that would help me win too (inspired by the great LightWolfy). Did the same to Brain and Raikage, whom I think I strung along for a few days. I was pretty unremarkable all game, tried to help plans, forgot to send my PM once which made me really upset because I didn't want to make mistakes or disadvantage my team, tried to help just by always being around as well. :P I had so much fun, even when we were getting ganged upon by pussy teams, but in the end MI6 decided the endgame was going downhill so we all elegantly departed and that was the end of that. Mekkah and I invented The Mental Ward, iirc, (BAN ME PLEASE) moi, we should've kept you there -_-

Thank you everyone, esp. my teammates!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)