1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Viva la Mafia - Game Over. Corleone Family wins!

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by Jackal, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]
    Welcome all to Viva la Mafia!

If you have been keen on reading some posts in the Mafia Policy Review or have been active on IRC you will know how I have been preaching that this game is vastly different from any mafia game ever played at smogon before. In this post you will learn that I am not just blowing wind. I highly advise any person playing in this game to read this post carefully and more than once so you fully understand exactly how this game will be played. All new game mechanics will be explained in this post, and all flavour necessary to the game itself and the RULES will be on the forum.

So first thing's first: Viva la Mafia has no village. There is no "uninformed majority" as we are accustomed to. In their place, we have a usergroup called Freelancer. The difference here is that every freelancer is alligned only with themself. Their win condition will be to be the last user alive. This group will include more than half of the game.

Now, we did not eliminate factions completely. There are FOUR factions within the game comprised of 3 members, each completely against each other. Each faction will be designated a faction leader/captain. The captain has the ability to recruit users from the Freelancer usergroup to join their respective team. This will change the freelancers alliance and win condition to win with the faction who recruited them. Only Freelancers can be recruited. Also the power to recruit has successors, so do not think simply killing the Captain will disable a team from recruiting.

The idea of game progression is for the 4 factions to assemble their own team via freelancers until every freelancer left alive has a team, at which point it will be a simple free for all between the four factions to determine a winner. Strategy will be key as recruiting has plenty of factors to consider, but I will leave it to the captains to figure out how to best assemble their team.

Recruits will fail if the user being recruited is not a freelancer or if a freelancer is being targetted by more than 1 recruit. A freelancer will not have a chance to accept/deny the recruit, if the recruit is successful it is automatic. Recruits are the highest priority actions in the game.

The game will also have those who are not alligned with any faction and are not freelancers. These people will be considered neutral and have custom goals/win conditions.

The last major functional change is how items are handled, specifically what happens to items when a user holding one dies. Unlike in other games where the item will just perish or be awarded to a scavenger, we have established what we call the Junkyard. Any item that "dies" will be sent to the junkyard and given a priority (oldest in there to newest in there). Users will not know if a person that died was holding an item, but every day we will update you on whether the Junkyard is EMPTY or NOT EMPTY. At night, any NON-FREELANCE user can forego their night action to visit the junkyard (they have been instructed how). For balance purposes, a faction can only successfully take an item from the junk yard 2 times, but they can visit the junkyard as many times as necessary. Visiting the junkyard allows you to see what is there. Feel free to ask about this if you are still confused, but freelancers need not worry about this until they are recruited!

Most everything else in the game will be fairly familiar, and we havent gone *too* crazy with new shit as the main purpose of this game is to test the viability of the above stated system. I encourage everyone to have fun and take advantange of the fact that it IS a new system; try to be creative and find new ways to plan/decieve. We as hosts understand that this game is likely not going to be perfect; there will be things we may have overlooked or some thing may go completely wrong. This is to be expected. We have tried our best to create as balanced and fair game as possible but this formula is just so incredibly dynamic that it is impossible to ensure a perfect game. So again I ask you guys to test the system, don't be scared of it. This is a trial run for everyone, hosts included, and it won't work unless people actually roll with it instead of just sit around and wait for someone to fuck up. People will fuck up, I guess the winner will just be who fucks up the least!

With that said, I still will ask everyone to read the RULES of the game on the forum, as some things are slightly different, and more information on some things can be found there. Also, I ask you to have fun with the game, but please do not BREAK the game. Use your discretion/talk to us if you dont know if what you want to do is legal.

I think that covers everything, so again I don't want anyone to be intimidated, just have fun :)

Here is a list of players who signed up:

mekkah
    shiv
    toothache
    jumpluff
    captain kirby
    thunda
    evan
    rev
    gmax
    shade
    lesm46
    doomsday
    earthworm
    raikage
    matamato
    fishin
    moi
    hip
    jedil
    gts
    ipl
    jimbo
    cookie
    moot
    pookar
    stoo
    lightwolf
    brain
    strangerdanger
    porgyon3
    billymills
    stallion
    outlaw
    hobo joe
    supermarth64
    kannon
    kotw
    b_l
    bass
    pidgeot79
    andenken
    amelia
    seo
    magicmaster#
    asim
    kinneas
    thorns
    cyzir vish \o/
    accént
    anihilator zero
    flounder
    aznfgt#
    sikh
    umbreon dan
    mister escalanté
    kharozz
    twash
    ap#
    darkie
    da letter el
    eo ut mortus
    lonelyness

any of these players are eligible to play!

Now for the moment we have all been waiting for...the forums!

Viva la Mafia

ALSO EVERYONE COME JOIN US AT #havana FOR 24/7 GAME TALK!

Your role PM will be in your inbox, and PMs are being sent out to tell you your alias/pw as I post this.

Good luck and have fun everyone, and don't be scared to ask dak or myself any questions, we actually hope you do as we dont want anyone confused!
  2. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Sounds amazing, can't wait for the PM.
  3. Da Letter El

Da Letter El Officially internet famous
    is a Forum Moderator

Yeah, I so want in on this. Really hoping I get in.
  4. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

5. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Obligatory post in main thread.
  6. Accent

Accent

Sounds very irresistible
  7. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i got an alias FIRST

i just wanted to tell you guys that
    this looks fun
    goodnight
  8. Brain

Brain
    is a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I've been asked to provide a list of link to past and current games, so here goes:

http://breuleux.net/mafia/

Also, viva la mafia has been moved to /viva/, but /doubletreble/ still works.
  9. Stallion

Stallion Joe Cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Oh wow, this game looks incredible ^_^. Can't wait for it to get underway :)
  10. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

this game is interesting!

just to clear the air, i'm playing.
  11. dak

dak

my masterpiece.. finally finished

this was definitely worth the wait, gentlemen

EDIT: all pms have been sent out
  12. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

dak is a fruitcake, and I have sent out all pms!

if you didnt get one... sorry :(
  13. Mr.378

Mr.378

Nice, Good luck to everyone, I guess.
  14. CaptKirby

CaptKirby

Hello, I am a member of the sexiest faction. Message me if you want to join the best faction.
  15. Raikage

Raikage

Guys talk to me please...
  16. blue_light

blue_light

All people looking to join a faction may pm me, I have some free stuff and bribes to give out.
  17. porygon3

porygon3

who wants to be my teammate?
  18. Brain

Brain
    is a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I urge all players who have shitty roles to consider the aforementioned offers.

Conversely, all players who have great roles are welcome to contact me instead! My door's always open.
  19. Amelia

Amelia

O damn i did not get in... i think Dak must have been angry at me for asking about the mafia size still...

Good luck to everyone involved in this, i can't wait to see how it turns out!
  20. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Any Freelancer interested in not being wolf must contact me immediatly.
  21. Gmax

Gmax kuahahahaha
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Freelancers, if you're looking to join a good team, get in touch with me!
  22. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

well... i have something different to say.

all mafia leaders/members feel free to PM me if you want me on your team :)

i'd love to hear about your mafia before i pick it, so hit me up!
  23. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

np: Bon-Bon - I'm not James nor am I Bond

Terrible song but it speaks the truth
  24. Thorns

Thorns

if a freelancer wins as a freelancer I will laugh
  25. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

Thorns, please don't post in games that you are not playing in.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)