VolBEAT-down (baton pass team)

Hello Smogon, I haven't done an RMT in a while, as I have been messing around with a bunch of different teams and playstyles, but I found a team that I'm loving more and more as I use it, and wanted some help making it better. It's focused around a little firefly called Volbeat (almost made it a Firefly themed team, but oh well). Its scoring me a decent score on showdown (1715 :\), but you guys are always giving great advice on how to make things better. Anyway, on to the team!

I've always loved the Baton Pass strategy. its incredibly effective if pulled off, albeit a little gimmicky, and Volbeat makes an excellent passer. Now I needed some receivers:

I had to choose a few bulky receivers and a few fast ones to best capitalize on the boost from tail glow. Suicune and Porygon2 are bulky enough to switch in to a ton of things and retaiate, while Mismaggius and Nidoking are fast enough and hit massively hard after a boost. Also they have great coverage:)

This is my cleanup physical sweeper. Moxiecross is tried and true, not much explanation needed.

Now, the nitty-gritty:

Volbeat@ Focus Sash
Prankster
Calm
EVs:252HP, 252SpDef, 4Def
-Encore
-Tail Glow
-Thunderwave
-Baton Pass

Analysis: This poke is a double edged sword: its mediocre stats and typing hold it back from being very good, but its useful ability, signature boosting move, and decent movepool, not to mention a surprise factor in UU make him effective if used right. Some might argue that smeargle is the better passer with its arsenal of moves and better typing, but Volbeat has prankster, allowing all of its EVs to be invested into bulk. Plan is: tail glow turn 1. if brought down to sash, pass the boost; if someone tries to set up, encore. twave is for utility mostly. I realize this set is taunt bait, but I digress :\

Suicune@ Chesto Berry
Pressure
Modest
EVs: 252HP, 252SpAttk, 4Spd
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Grass
-Rest

Analysis: Respectable natural bulk, good typing, good coverage...why not use suicune? My only problem with him is that he's a little slow, but makes up for it in other ways. I used to run hydro pump, but had some crucial misses that lead me to swap for surf. Then I changed to scald; I dont miss the damage from surf much, and suicune enjoys burning physical switch-ins.

Porygon2@ Eviolite
Trace
Modest
EVs: 252HP, 252SpAttk, 4SpDef
-Discharge
-Ice Beam
-Tri-Attack
-Recover

Analysis: I chose Porygon2 over PorygonZ for a few reasons: 1 is his massive bulk with eviolite and reliable recovery, 2 is trace. I cant count how many times ive passed a boot to him and into an incredibly useful ability (here's looking at you Sheer Force, Prankster, Serene Grace, etc.). He hits like a truck with tail glow boost and can take hits all day. Discharge over T-bolt is the same reasoning as scald for suicune: slight damage reduction for 30% paralysis chance. Icebeam and tri atack round out the coverage nicely.

Now the fast-sashed receivers:

Mismagius@ Focus Sash
Levitate
Timid
EVs: 252Spd, 252SpAttk, 4HP
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fighting
-Thunderbolt
-Energy Ball

Analysis: With some helpful immunities, I can often switch in safely, allowing me to sweep half a team before being brought down to the sash. Shadow Ball and HP Fighting allow for near-perfect coverage, with Tbolt for Honchcrow and waters, and energy ball for swampert and the occasional quagsire or seismitoad. Also, I needed a fast ghost to counter the many fighting types roaming around in UU, and mismagius provides that.

Nidoking@ Life Orb
Sheer Force
Timid
EVs: 252Spd, 252SpAttk, 4HP
-Earthpower
-Fire Blast
-Focus Blast
-Ice Beam

Analysis: I needed a resist for the high-powered electric type threats in the tier, and Nidoking provides that. The great thing about him is, he hits hard even without the boost...but WITH the boost, anything that doest outspeed him gets demolished. Earthpower for obligatory STAB, and Ice Beam for flyers, Focus blast for umbreon and snorlax, and foreblast for that damn Bronzong. I just find his speed a little...meh, and he has nearly no bulk.

And now, the cleanup hitter:

Heracross@ Choice Scarf
Moxie
Jolly
EVs: 252Spd, 252Attk, 4HP
-Close Combat
-Megahorn
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

Analysis: Standard scarfed moxie-cross. late game cleanup sweeper, and also my check to special walls. once all the ghosts are dead (courtesy of mismagius), he comes in and...well...spams til its done. CC and Megahorn as per standard, stone edge for flyers and bugs, and earthquake for edge-quake coverage. I had thought about night slash over earthquake, but am still not sure :\

Conclusion: This team is very far from perfect, but can be super fun and effective if pulled off. I'm not overly attached to any teammember specifically (except Volbeat), so changes are welcomed as long as they typing/coverage stays about the same. Hopefully the good people of Smogon can help me fix this teams flaws:)

Threat List:
Hard-hitting Fire Types- if suicune dies, Arcanine/Darmanitan/Victini can plow through a lot of my team.
Fast Taunters- shut volbeat down, must die
Other Pranksters-big problem for Volbeat
Entry Hazards-break my sashes. Ive tried to find a viable spinner and havent been able to find one that fits on this team well :\
might be missing some, but thats about it:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)