PU Volbeat [GP: 2/2]

Overview
########

Volbeat is a staple on weather teams due to its access to Prankster, which gives priority to status moves and allows Volbeat to reliably use weather-related moves, such as Rain Dance and Sunny Day. Furthermore, Volbeat is able to utilize a slow U-turn, which allows it to bring potential sweepers in safely after weather has been set up. Volbeat also is able to use Prankster Encore and Thunder Wave to cripple opposing sweepers and stall Pokemon, and Encore even has good synergy with U-turn, as it can force switches while grabbing momentum. However, Volbeat's frailty combined with a Stealth Rock weakness will usually make it very hard to set up weather without the risk of fainting.

Weather Support
########
name: Weather Support
move 1: Rain Dance / Sunny Day
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Encore
move 4: Thunder Wave
ability: Prankster
item: Damp Rock / Heat Rock
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

Rain Dance and Sunny Day set rain and sun, respectively, so Chlorophyll and Swift Swim sweepers can begin sweeping. U-turn allows Volbeat to safely bring in its teammates that plan to sweep, although U-turn can also be used to escape Taunt without giving up momentum. Encore is used to cripple setup sweepers, entry hazard leads, and utility Pokemon to ensure that Volbeat is given at least one safe turn to use either Rain Dance or Sunny Day. Thunder Wave is used in the final slot of the set, and it can be used late-game as an emergency check to opposing sweepers. Tailwind is an alternative over Thunder Wave for sun teams that would like to boost the Speed of their Fire-types, but its low turn span and limited utility makes it a limited option. Every move listed bar U-turn is given priority by Prankster.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense investment is used to take hits much better. A Relaxed nature is used to further boost Volbeat's Defense stat while lowering Speed to ensure that Volbeat will have a slow U-turn. The item choice is respective to what weather is being used; Damp Rock elongates rain's turns while Heat Rock elongates sun's turns. Prankster is the chosen ability, as it is one of the main reasons Volbeat is viable due to it giving priority to support moves.

Usage Tips
========

Early-game it's usually best to preserve Volbeat, as it provides great utility, and use another weather setter. After weather has been set up, immediately U-turn into a sweeper so they can get in safely without wasting any other turns. Early-game, if another weather setter isn't in play, Volbeat can cripple leads with Prankster Encore and other Pokemon with Prankster Thunder Wave. When using Encore if the opposing Pokemon is locked into a move, using U-turn on the forced switch provides great momentum, as you will end up with a favorable matchup. Alternatively, Encore's forced switch allows Volbeat to set up weather more easily.

Team Options
========

This Volbeat works solely on weather teams, and as such, Pokemon that make use of weather are good partners. Beartic and Poliwrath are both great abusers of rain thanks to Swift Swim. Victreebel is a deadly sweeper in the sun thanks to Chlorophyll and Weather Ball turning into a 150 Base Power Fire-type attack. Leafeon and Sawsbuck can abuse Chlorophyll as well. Fire-types such as Ninetales can use powerful attacks in the sun. Swanna can spam perfectly accurate Hurricanes in rain, and its Hydration activates, which makes it hard to cripple. Electric-types such as Raichu can abuse a perfectly accurate Thunder. Other weather setters are an option to keep weather set up; Carbink and Golem are great sun setters, as both can use Stealth Rock, while Relicanth and Electrode are good rain setters, as the former can set up Stealth Rock too while the latter can use a perfectly accurate Thunder.

Other Options
########

Volbeat will usually fail at doing anything else than the listed set due to its relatively low stats. A set utilizing Tail Glow and Baton Pass is an option that gets priority on these moves and turns special attackers into lethal weapons, but Togetic is a better user of this with Nasty Plot, as it can hold an Eviolite and has a much better typing. Roost is a viable move to let Volbeat stay on the field longer, but other moves are better options. Trick with an Iron Ball or Choice Scarf is an option to cripple foes.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Volbeat is worn down by Stealth Rock, as it switches in quite often and is weak to it. Because of this, Stealth Rock is an effective check to Volbeat.

**Powerful Attacks**: Life Orb and Choice item users such as Tauros have no problem breaking through Volbeat due to its terrible defenses. However, all of them are threatened by priority Thunder Wave.

**Taunt**: If Volbeat is hit with Taunt, which is unlikely due to Prankster, it is unable to use its support options such as weather moves and Encore.

**Weather changes**: Changes to the weather force Volbeat to come back in and reset it, which ruins the offensive momentum for teams. Hippopotas in particular sets sandstorm automatically when it comes in, and it is immune to Thunder Wave.

Last edited:
Mysteria how's your progress on this?

Also, I'm not sure GlowPass deserves a set when we have Togetic that does it better despite only boosting to +2
Yeah, I haven't forgot this. I'll work on it today.

Also I personally think GlowPass is good due to Prankster + TWave, but it's fine w/ me if I remove it

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't want to slash too many stuff in that last moveslot but Tailwind is decent too for sun teams to boost Speed, not sure what could go there though. Thoughts on GlowPass though, QC?

yea i'll slash tailwind. i'll finish this skeleton when QC can tell me if I should keep GlowPass or not. Today's the start of the weekend so I'll have time to finish this.

this is almost ready so i'll post some stuff now

-remove mention of exeggutor

-leafeon should be mentioned in team options

-hazard removal isn't needed at all and in fact isn't recommended due to how hard it is to fit it on weather teams, especially sun

-i think you stress its low longevity a bit too much, given that you really only need it to set up weather twice per game most of the time, if that. in fact, volbeat is actually pretty useful as death fodder as long as you know you'll be able to keep weather up, so mention that

-mention other weather setters in team options; carbink and golem for sun and carracosta and electrode for rain

-the overview could be focused more on its role on weather teams rather than its attributes

-i don't think tailwind is worth slashing, since setting up weather has a lot of the same effect and lasts a lot longer

-remove trick from oo

-add beartic and swift swim poliwrath in team options

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mysteria you haven't even tried to finish it by the looks if when it was last edited (just after mags post) and you have been given more than enough time (you even said you would have completed it by Thursday after monts post on Wednesday.
QC rejected 1/3

Fine, I finished the skeleton. I'm working off a phone and am on vacation, I'm sorry if I've postponed this but I wasn't able to prioritize it.

We should like hold a bit on QC checks but i am doing this anyway because lol weather setter and if we need to add another SS/Chloro user there is scms+he wont finish before tier shift
Mention a Specially Defensive spread to handle Grass-types like Serperior and Tangela a little bit easier.
Talk more about encore in usage tips. Tell to use it if weather is not up to not waste turns and maybe that threat of encore+uturn is easy momentum
Mention Hippopotas in weather changers in C&C
Remove the priority section in C&C as i cant think of a priority move able to take out Volbeat not called Sucker Punch

1/3 Mysteria

We should like hold a bit on QC checks but i am doing this anyway because lol weather setter and if we need to add another SS/Chloro user there is scms+he wont finish before tier shift
Mention a Specially Defensive spread to handle Grass-types like Serperior and Tangela a little bit easier.
Talk more about encore in usage tips. Tell to use it if weather is not up to not waste turns and maybe that threat of encore+uturn is easy momentum
Mention Hippopotas in weather changers in C&C
Remove the priority section in C&C as i cant think of a priority move able to take out Volbeat not called Sucker Punch

1/3 Mysteria
ty galbia. implemented

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
moves:

- tailwind is mostly for sun teams because they have fire types without chloro

usage tips:

- mention that early game it is better to use another setter instead of Volbeat so you can preserve it
- cite priority weather as the main reason to preserve it, not that it can set up multiple times (it essentially guarantees teammates the boosts)

team options:

- Mantine doesn't really need an extra slot in combat and it usually runs RD anyway so cut that part

QC 2/3

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Weather Support
########
Moves
========
Mention that encore and uturn have good synergy together

Set Details
========
I dont think spdef spread is noteworthy, as illimuse does that better

Usage Tips
========
I dont agree with 'Volbeat should set up weather mid- to late-game when sweepers can easily finish the game.'. There is not set time when it should be used, mainly just when weather is required

Team Options
========
Mention electric types with rain abusers, and specifically say that those said weather starters are good leads as they can get up/stop hazards

Other Options
########
Make sure you say that togetic is better at passing spatk boosts, so it is clear that togetic isnt passing tail glows
Trick scarf/iron ball probably deserves a mention here

This looks good Mysteria, im not stamping yet tho

Weather Support
########
Moves
========
Mention that encore and uturn have good synergy together

Set Details
========
I dont think spdef spread is noteworthy, as illimuse does that better

Usage Tips
========
I dont agree with 'Volbeat should set up weather mid- to late-game when sweepers can easily finish the game.'. There is not set time when it should be used, mainly just when weather is required

Team Options
========
Mention electric types with rain abusers, and specifically say that those said weather starters are good leads as they can get up/stop hazards

Other Options
########
Make sure you say that togetic is better at passing spatk boosts, so it is clear that togetic isnt passing tail glows
Trick scarf/iron ball probably deserves a mention here

This looks good Mysteria, im not stamping yet tho
done

remove previous rejection imo

Anty

let's drop
In UT mention that encore also helps it set up weather
You also didnt do what i said about TO when mentioning the pokes at the ends as leads. Relicanth>costa at setting up rain

Mysteria 3/3

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
Overview
########

Volbeat is essentially a staple on weather teams due to its access to Prankster, which gives priority to status moves. Prankster allows Volbeat to use weather related moves, such as Rain Dance and Sunny Day, very reliably due to the priority they both get it gives them. Furthermore, Volbeat is able to utilize a slow U-turn, which means it can allows it to bring in potential sweepers in safely after weather has been set. Volbeat also is able to use Prankster Encore and Thunder Wave to cripple opposing sweepers and stall users Pokemon, and Encore even has good synergy with U-turn, (AC) as it can force switches while grabbing momentum. However, Volbeat is frail, and Volbeat's frailty (wording consistency) combined with a Stealth Rock weakness will usually make it very hard to set up weather without the risk of fainting.

Weather Support
########
name: Weather Support
move 1: Rain Dance / Sunny Day
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Encore
move 4: Thunder Wave
ability: Prankster
item: Damp Rock / Heat Rock
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

Rain Dance and Sunny Day both set rain and sun, respectively, so Chlorophyll and Swift Swim weepers sweepers (lol) can begin sweeping. U-turn is a great move on Volbeat, as it allows it to safely bring in its teammates who that plan to sweep, although it can also be used to escape Taunt without giving up momentum. Encore is used to cripple setup sweepers, hazard leads, and utility Pokemon to ensure that Volbeat is given at least one safe turn to use either Rain Dance or Sunny Day. Thunder Wave is used in the final slot of the set, (RC) and can be used late-game as an emergency check to opposing sweepers. Tailwind is an alternative over Thunder Wave for sun teams who that would like to boost the Speed of their Fire-types, but their its low turn span and limited utility makes it a limited option. Every move listed bar U-turn is given priority by Prankster.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense investment is used to take hits much better. A Relaxed nature is used to further boost Volbeat's Defense stat while lowering Speed, to ensure that Volbeat will have a slow U-turn. The item choice is respective to what weather is being used; Damp Rock elongates rain's turns while Heat Rock elongates sun's turns. Prankster is the chosen ability, (AC) as it is one of the main reasons Volbeat is viable due to it giving priority to its support moves.

Usage Tips
========

Early-game it's usually best to preserve Volbeat, as it provides great utility, and use another weather setter. After weather is has been set, immediately U-turn into a sweeper so they can get in safely without wasting any other turns. Early-game, if another weather setter isn't in play, Volbeat can cripple leads with Prankster Encore, as well as other Pokemon with Prankster Thunder Wave. When using Encore, if the opposing Pokemon is locked into a move, using U-turn on the forced switch is provides great momentum, (AC) as you will end up with a favorable matchup. Alternatively, Encore's forced switch allows for (allow for=take into consideration) you Volbeat to set up weather easier more easily.

Team Options
========

This Volbeat works solely on weather teams, and as such, Pokemon who that make use of weather are good partners. Beartic and Poliwrath are both great abusers of Rain thanks to Swift Swim. Victreebel is a deadly sweeper in the sun thanks to Chlorophyll and Weather Ball turning into a 150 BP Fire-type attack. Leafeon and Sawsbuck can abuse Chlorophyll as well. Swanna can spam perfect accuracy perfectly accurate Hurricanes in rain, (AC) and its Hydration activates, which makes it hard to cripple. Fire-types such as Ninetales can fire off nukes in the sun. Electric-types such as Raichu can abuse a perfect accuracy perfectly accurate Thunder. Other weather setters are an option to keep weather up; Carbink and Golem are great sun setters, (AC) as both can use Stealth Rock, (AC) while Relicanth and Electrode are good rain setters, (AC) as the former can set up Stealth Rock too while the latter can use perfect accuracy a perfectly accurate Thunder.

Other Options
########

Volbeat will usually fail at doing anything else than the listed set due to its relatively low stats. A set utilizing Tail Glow and Baton Pass is an option that gets priority on these moves and turns special attackers into lethal weapons, but Togetic is a better abuser of this with Nasty Plot, (AC) as it can hold an Eviolite and has a much better typing. Roost is a viable move to let Volbeat stay on the field for longer, but other moveslots moves are better used options. Trick with and an Iron Ball or Choice Scarf is an option to cripple opponents.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Volbeat is incredibly worn down by Stealth Rock, as it switches in quite often and is weak to it. Because of this, Stealth Rock is an effective check to Volbeat.

**Powerful Attacks**: Life Orb and Choice item (or specifically Band?) users such as Tauros have no problem breaking through Volbeat due to its terrible defenses. However, all of them are threatened by priority Thunder Wave.

**Taunt**: If Volbeat is hit with Taunt, which is unlikely due to Prankster, it is unable to use its support options such as weather moves and Encore.

**Weather changes**: Changes to the weather forces force Volbeat to come back in and reset it, and it ruins the offensive momentum for teams. Hippopotas in particular sets sandstorm in automatically when it comes in, and it is immune to Thunder Wave.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)