Volbeat Set#2 (QC 0/3)

Volbeat VGC Analysis

[Overview]

<p>Volbeat, since its introduction in Gen 3 has always been deemed a filler bug type Pokemon. But in Generation 5 it gained one of the best abilities in the game in Prankster along with a buff to Tail Glow. When you look at Volbeat you may think it is just another useless bug type. In a way you are correct but being the only Pokemon that can Baton Pass Tail Glow with Prankster it should definitely be considered.</p>

[SET]

name: Tail Glow Passer
move 1: Tail Glow
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice
item: Focus Sash
ability: Prankster
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes full advantage of Volbeat's Prankster+Tail Glow. This set aims to set up Tail Glow and Baton Pass out to a more potent sweeper. It also has coverage moves in the case that switching is unappealing. One Tail Glow boost will increase your rather modest 108 SpA stat to a nice 270. Bug Buzz is used as it is Volbeat's strongest STAB attack. Baton Pass should always be used when considering Volbeat for your team. Thunderbolt is used to hit what Bug Buzz can't namely flying types extremely hard. Baton Passing a Tail Glow boost will put a lot of pressure on your opponent while also giving you the upper hand in a battle. Baton Passing Tail Glow boosts is really the only reason anyone would use Volbeat but it is a good reason because (other than Smeargle) it is the only Pokemon allowed in VGC who can do this. Hidden Power Ice is nice to hit ground and dragon types for super effective damage. These coverage moves main purpose is to make Volbeat less of a dead weight on your team after it passes its Tail Glow or you only have two Pokemon left. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs and Nature are used to allow Volbeat to hit as hard and be as fast as possible. A bulkier, alternative spread of 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Def and a Bold nature is viable if not better in some situations. Volbeat doesn't outspeed too much with an 85 base speed stat though without a Modest nature you miss out on a few OHKOs and 2HKOs. Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt but only if you are running rain because its accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Even with a Tail Glow boost Volbeat's Special Attack is sadly, rather meager... Though it does get a guaranteed 2HKO on the incredibly resilient Cressilia.

Here are some damage calculations with a Modest / 252 SpA Volbeat:
<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Bug Buzz vs. 4 HP Latios 135% - 161%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Ice vs. 140 HP Zapdos 71% - 84%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP Jellicent 75% - 88%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP Politoed 97% - 115% or an 86% chance to OHKO</li>
<li>Bug Buzz vs. 252/252+ Cresselia 60% - 72%</li>
</ul></p>

Most of the time you will probably be passing Tail Glow boosts around to more potent special sweepers such as Hydreigon and Latios rather than sweeping for yourself. Sweeping for yourself is risky and could require some team support. Togekiss is a great partner Pokemon because of Follow-Me support and it has amazing bulk. Also Gastrodon and Swampert make good team-mates as they resist common spread moves that could hurt Volbeat while the latter has Wide Guard. Amoonguss also makes a fine team-mate with Rage Powder and good defenses Pokemon with access to Fake Out can help Volbeat get set up.

[Other Options]

<p> Thunder Wave works exceptionally well on Volbeat as it slows down opponents and makes life easier on Volbeat though this gives it less coverage. Encore works very well on Volbeat as it can incapacitate threats for a few turns. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Fire type Pokemon in general will prove a challenge for Volbeat as they resist both Hidden Power Ice and Bug Buzz while only taking neutral damage from Thunderbolt. The same goes for Fighting types who carry Stone Edge or Rock Slide. Cloyster can be a pain with Rock Blast as it breaks it sash or sub getting a OHKO. Taunt is one of Volbeat's worst nightmares as it prevents passing its stats around. Priority attacks can be a pain for Volbeat because once its sash is gone it is easily KO'd.</p>

-Explain the benefits of Baton Passing a bit more.
-Fake Out users are a good partner for Volbeat, as they allow it to have a easier time setting up.
-Taunt stops Volbeat cold, as it can't Baton Pass its stats out.
-Remove Substitute, Focus Sash is the only item Volbeat should ever run.
-Priority also stops Volbeat, as priority moves can quickly knock it out once it's been ridded of its sash.

I'm not a vgc quality control member, but I think it's safe to say I can echo what was said about your last analysis. You don't seem to have a clear comprehension of VGC. Your comments are overly vague and I sincerely doubt you tested this set. I'd give analysis writing a rest for a while until you have a deeper comprehension of the vgc rule set. Otherwise, this analysis will be pretty clunky and a chore for you and QC.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As TheMantyke said, and as I said on your other analysis, it seems clear that you don't really have a grasp of the VGC metagame. I'd really recommend playing around more and testing more before trying again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)