Volbeat

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]

<p>Volbeat isn't a Pokemon that seems very viable due to its pitiful stats, but a closer look reveals that it has access to the rare Prankster ability, which is where its main niche lies. It has all the right moves to utilize its ability as well, although the lack of Taunt really hinders it. Despite that, Volbeat makes for a great rain setter and also supports rain teams with paralysis support in the form of priority Thunder Wave. Volbeat also has a rare boosting move in Tail Glow, which it can effectively pass onto another Pokemon with priority Baton Pass, and priority Encore makes setting up against the likes of entry hazard leads and opposing boosting Pokemon easier. Unfortunately, Volbeat has low bulk and an even lower offensive presence, making setting up and passing a difficult task. Furthermore, its Bug typing is a double-edged sword; it gives Volbeat resistances to Fighting and Ground, but also burdens it with weaknesses to the omnipresent Fire- and Rock-type attacks. It faces a lot of competition from Liepard as a rain setter and Smeargle as a Baton Passer, as the former lacks a Stealth Rock weakness and the latter has a superior boosting move in Quiver Dance.</p>

[SET]
name: Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Encore
move 4: Thunder Wave
item: Damp Rock
ability: Prankster
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>RU is filled with dangerous Pokemon that become even more threatening when it's raining; Volbeat aims to bring out the true power in such Pokemon by setting up the weather while also supporting them with slow U-turns and Encore. Liepard might seem to outclass this set due to its lack of a Stealth Rock weakness and access to Taunt; however, Volbeat's typing is much better defensively, giving it resistances to Fighting and Ground, while the rain mitigates its Fire-type weakness (giving it another boon as Volbeat utilizes the rain it sets). U-turn is used to bring in a rain sweeper unscathed once Volbeat's job is done. Encore is very useful to lock an unsuspecting opponent into a non-attacking move, giving Volbeat more setup opportunities and its teammates more switch-in opportunities. Thunder Wave lets Volbeat support its team further by crippling dangerous Pokemon such as Sceptile and Kabutops, which would otherwise trouble rain teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Volbeat's physical bulk, as its typing is more geared towards taking physical hits. A Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs ensure that Volbeat gets outsped by the majority of the metagame so it can U-turn into a rain sweeper without said sweeper taking any damage. Sunny Day and Heat Rock can be used to turn Volbeat into a sun supporter, but Whimsicott gives it too much competition in that role. Roost can be used for reliable recovery, but Volbeat typically prefers the options listed above as they provide more utility overall. Pokemon that utilize the rain are obvious partners; Ludicolo, Omastar, Kabutops, and Moltres all fall into that category. Defensive Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Amoonguss also love the rain, as it mitigates their Fire-type weaknesses (especially for the former), and offensive variants of the latter also love the paralysis support Volbeat has to offer. Having a backup rain setter is highly recommended in case Volbeat goes down; Lanturn and Uxie fit that bill nicely.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Tail Glow
move 4: Substitute / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Access to Tail Glow already gives Volbeat a niche as a Baton Passer, but Prankster elevates that niche to a whole new level. The +3 Special Attack boost, when passed to the right teammate, can be devastating for the opposing team. Encore aids Volbeat in the daunting task of setting up, as locking the opponent into a non-attacking move can give Volbeat just the time it needs to set up and pass. Substitute allows Volbeat to avoid status to aid in its setup. If the Substitute stays intact when Volbeat Baton Passes, the effects can be game-changing, as the opponent will almost always need to sacrifice at least one Pokemon to even attempt to regain momentum. Thunder Wave can be used instead to cripple the opposing Pokemon and make it easier to Baton Pass into its recipient safely.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Much like with the previous set, the EV spread utilizes Volbeat's Bug typing by giving it usable physical bulk. A Salac Berry can be used with an EV spread of 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD to pass a Speed boost to the recipient. However, this should only be used with Substitute, as Substitute makes it easy to get into activation range without having the risk of being KOed. Mental Herb can be used alongside Thunder Wave to get surefire protection from Taunt, but it's only a one-time thing. Roost can be used for reliable recovery, but Volbeat is better off using the options listed above as they provide more utility overall. Bug Buzz seems tempting, but is usually a bad idea, as Volbeat will almost always want to do something other than outright attack the opponent; even if Volbeat gets Taunted, its best bet is to switch out, as it won't be doing much to the opponent with a pathetically weak Bug Buzz. Recipients for Tail Glow should typically be either bulky or fast, as Tail Glow only provides a Special Attack boost, leaving the recipient prone to revenge killing. Lanturn and Slowking are both good examples of bulky recipients that also provide a valuable Fire resistance, with the former having a Flying resistance as well. Manectric and Rotom-C are fast recipients that Volbeat can Baton Pass to when facing a Flying-type. Lastly, Tangrowth is a wonderful recipient when Volbeat is up against a Rhydon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Tailwind is the most viable other option for Volbeat, although its two-turn duration for the team is very off-putting. Confuse Ray is another viable option, although the unreliability of confusion makes it a lesser option. An attacking set with Tail Glow / Bug Buzz / Giga Drain / Thunderbolt and a Life Orb can be considered, but Volbeat doesn't have the bulk, Speed, or power (even after Tail Glow) to utilize it effectively. Volbeat's Attack is higher than its Special Attack and it does have a plethora of physical moves such as U-turn, Acrobatics, Ice Punch, and even Focus Punch, but again, its stats really hinder it. Lagging Tail or a status Orb used alongside Trick is feasible, but Volbeat doesn't have much room for it. Toxic is great to cripple most walls, but takes up a precious moveslot and usually isn't worth it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Manectric appreciates switching in on a Thunder Wave due to Lightningrod and can blast Volbeat away with Overheat or Flamethrower. Rhydon doesn't care for Thunder Wave either and can KO Volbeat even through Substitute with Rock Blast as long is it gets at least four hits (three if Stealth Rock is up). Phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind can remove Volbeat's boosts as well as the recipient's if they catch it on the switch. Dragon Tail can also work, but it's a bit unreliable due to its 90% accuracy and inability to phaze through Substitute. Steelix can learn both Roar and Dragon Tail, so it makes for a good check. Qwilfish can use Taunt to put a complete stop to Volbeat, and it can even set up Spikes to annoy Volbeat's team. Keeping up the offensive momentum and threatening to KO or severely cripple Volbeat or its recipient is another way to avoid a successful pass. Lastly, any decently powerful Pokemon can KO Volbeat, although they will almost always be left crippled by Thunder Wave.</p>

Last edited:
Before anything else happens, I want to point out this - Liepard, Illumise and Murkrow can also use Prankster Rain Dance. As a result you need to talk about why it is arguably the best rather than why it is the only one.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
I finished this and mentioned why Volbeat should be used over Liepard as well (idk why I forgot it got Rain Dance ;-;). This is ready for QC ^.^

Ok, so hiya n_n As I mentioned beforehand, there isn't a whole lot left to be said, so there'll just be nitpicks here for the most part. I'd mention specifically why a Relaxed nature is being used on the Rain Dance set (allowing the rain sweepers to get in safely on a more regular basis), since it isn't quite intuitive enough to not address. Speaking of, I'd probably specifically mention 0 Speed IVs here, since it allows Volbeat to under-speed a pretty respectable sum of 'mons that hold some level of relevance to rain-based sweepers, including Roselia, Alomomola, Lanturn (which of course comes with the that whole slew of 45-60 base Speed bulky attackers that aim to outpace it), etc. Oh, and I'd consider switching TWave and Encore in moveslot order; Rain sweepers generally don't benefit much from paralysis support, and Encore really just offers more (finds windows to set up, nice synergy w/U-Turn) while continuing to prevent opposing set-up.

I'd put some serious consideration into the the AC mention of Pinch berries (most prominently Salac and Petaya), in tandem w/a spread of 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD on the BP set; even when backed by priority Encore, Volbeat isn't often finding a window to set up and pass both a sub and a Tail Glow boost, forcing it to pick one, and the extra passive benefit acquired through subbing down to pinch is a nice plus. Losing sub recovery is kinda lame, but it is what it is. I'd probably tone down the mention of DTail and either do the same or entirely remove the Circle Throw mention in C&C, since their low PP, 90% acc., and inability to phaze through sub make them much shakier phazing responses to the BP set (Circle Throw is conventionally never breaking the sub, which makes it even worse, since Volbeat Encore locks that in then can easily grab +6 and a sub to pass).

And yeah, s'pose that's really it. Fix up that and I'll just go ahead 'n check =)

ok, cool. also, missed this the first time, but i wouldn't say whimsicott strictly outclasses volbeat as a sun setter, though it does give competition (a slower U-Turn being the most notable advantage it retains), otherwise i'm fine with this atm. gj n_n

qc 1 / 3

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Moltres actually does kind of appreciate rain, Moltres is great on rain teams (which is the main kind of team RD Volbeat should be used on), for its ability to Hurricane spam. Uxie is also a very viable back weather setter. Also, Sceptile and Mesprit are both more examples of mons that can be really scary with a Tail Glow boost, though that may just be me. This is fine otherwise, nice job overall.

QC Approved 2/3

My turn to check!
  • Remove the last sentence in the Overview as its an understood point. Also, I know that Taunt does shut it down, but the only common Pokemon that even uses Taunt is Qwilfish, so I would change that to something along the lines of 'low offensive presence.' In general you talk a lot about Taunt when in reality the move has little influence in the metagame. As it is so rare, Volbeat doesn't need to do all that much to avoid being Taunt bait - U-Turn is really only for that valuable slow switch, for example.
  • You need to talk a lot more about Rain Dance in general as a strategy in the first set. By starting out by saying "it may look outclassed by Liepard" I'm sorta wondering why I should use Rain. You could say something like that there are many dangerous Pokemon in RU that can become even more dangerous with Rain Support, and since Volbeat has Prankster and a slow U-turn mean it is an excellent team player (and then its advantages over Liepard could be mentioned)
  • I have never seen an Accelgor use Rain Dance in RU. Similarly I don't think Jynx is all that good as a Rain Pokemon even though it has Dry Skin, mainly because its offensive presence doesn't rise at all.
  • A Petaya Berry is overkill tbh. I'd only mention the Salac Berry as that is going to help Pokemon sweep.
  • The amount of detail in the partners section in Baton Pass is virtually non-existent and it seems like you listed out bulky or fast Pokemon. You could tamper with this a bit - for instance, Lanturn and Slowking provide a valuable Fire resistance, Manectric and Lanturn can switch into (most) Flying moves while Rotom-C threatens them, Tangrowth I guess deals with Rhydon, etc. In general, however, Sceptile and ESPECIALLY Accelgor are threatened by similar Pokemon as Volbeat, putting them in a bad situation, and Mesprit is kinda just there tbh
  • Confuse Ray has 100% accuracy, so its accuracy isn't a problem.
  • Remove Murkrow and Liepard from C&C because nobody uses them and Liepard also gets raped by U-Turn. Also mention specific Roar/Whirlwind users like Steelix. If you want to include Qwilfish as a Taunt user you can, but put it later (fishy also has Spikes to be a general asshole)
Add and I'll stamp Rohail

Last edited:
add remove comment
[Overview]

<p>Volbeat isn't a Pokemon that seems to be very viable due to its pitiful stats, but a closer look reveals that it has access to the rare Prankster ability, which is where its main niche lies. It has all the right moves to utilize its ability as well, although the lack of Taunt really hinders it. Despite that, Volbeat makes for a great rain setter, supporting rain teams with paralysis support in the form of priority Thunder Wave. Volbeat also has a rare boosting move in Tail Glow, which it can effectively pass onto another Pokemon with priority Baton Pass, and priority Encore makes setting up against the likes of entry hazard leads and opposing boosting Pokemon easier. Unfortunately, Volbeat has low bulk and an even lower offensive presence, making setting up and passing a difficult task. Furthermore, its Bug typing is a double-edged sword; it gives Volbeat resistances to Fighting and Ground, but also burdens it with weaknesses to the omnipresent Fire- and Rock-type attacks. It faces a lot of competition from Liepard as a rain setter and Smeargle as a Baton Passer, as the former lacks a Stealth Rock weakness and the latter has an unarguably superior boosting move in Quiver Dance.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>RU is filled with dangerous Pokemon that become even more threatening when it's raining; Volbeat aims to bring out the true power in such Pokemon by setting up the weather while also supporting them with slow U-turns and Encore. Liepard might seem to outclass this set due to its lack of a Stealth Rock weakness and access to Taunt; however, Volbeat's typing is much better defensively, giving it resistances to Fighting and Ground, while the rain mitigates its Fire-type weakness (giving it another boon as Volbeat utilizes the rain it sets). U-turn is used to bring in a rain sweeper unscathed once Volbeat's job is done. Encore is very useful to lock an unsuspecting opponent into a non-attacking move, giving Volbeat more setup opportunities and its teammates more switch-in opportunities. Thunder Wave lets Volbeat support its team further by crippling dangerous Pokemon such as Sceptile and Kabutops, which would otherwise trouble rain teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Volbeat's physical bulk as its typing is more geared towards taking physical hits. A Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs ensure that Volbeat gets outsped by the majority of the metagame so it can U-turn into a rain sweeper unhindered. Sunny Day and Heat Rock can be used to turn Volbeat into a sun supporter, but Whimsicott gives it too much competition in that role. Roost can be used for reliable recovery, but Volbeat typically prefers the options listed above as they provide more utility overall. Pokemon that utilize the rain are obvious partners; Ludicolo, Omastar, Kabutops, and Moltres all fall into that category. Defensive Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Amoonguss also love the rain, as it mitigates there their !_! Fire-type weaknesses (especially for the former), and offensive variants of the latter also love the paralysis support Volbeat has to offer. Having a backup rain setter is highly recommended, just in case Volbeat goes down; Lanturn and Uxie fit that bill nicely.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Access to Tail Glow already gives Volbeat a niche as a Baton Passer, but Prankster elevates that niche to a whole new level. The +3 Special Attack boost, when passed to the right teammate, can be devastating for the opposing team. Encore aids Volbeat in the daunting task of setting up, as locking the opponent into a non-attacking move can give Volbeat just the time it needs to set up and pass. Substitute allows Volbeat to avoid status and, most importantly, Taunt,(RC) to aid in its setup. If the Substitute stays intact when Volbeat Baton Passes, the effects can be game-changing, as the opponent will almost always need to sacrifice at least one Pokemon to even attempt to regain momentum. Thunder Wave can be used instead to cripple the opposing Pokemon and make it easier to Baton Pass into its recipient safely.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Much like with the previous set, the EV spread utilizes Volbeat's Bug typing by giving it a more physically defensive approach. A Salac Berry can be used with an EV spread of 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD to pass a Speed boost to the recipient. However, this should only be used with Substitute, as Substitute makes it easy to get into activation range without having the risk of being KOed. Mental Herb can be used alongside Thunder Wave to get surefire protection from Taunt, but it's only a one-time thing and Substitute is overall more reliable (? you're talking about an item then a move. sub doesn't block taunt, so i'm not really sure what you're trying to say here). Roost can be used for reliable recovery, although Volbeat is better off using the options listed above as they provide more utility overall. Bug Buzz seems tempting, but is usually a bad idea, as Volbeat will almost always want to do something other than outright attack the opponent; even if Volbeat gets Taunted, its best bet is to switch out, as it won't be doing much to the opponent with a pathetically weak Bug Buzz if it hasn't boosted beforehand or the opponent isn't weak to Bug (this stuff is kinda obvious >_>, and the sentence is a little long otherwise; rephrase however you'd like). Recipients for Tail Glow should typically be either bulky or fast, as Tail Glow only provides a Special Attack boost, leaving the recipient prone to revenge killing. Lanturn and Slowking are both good examples of bulky recipients that also provide a valuable Fire resistance, with the former having a Flying resistance as well. Manectric and Rotom-C are fast recipients that Volbeat can Baton Pass into when facing a Flying-type. Lastly, Tangrowth is a wonderful recipient when Volbeat is up against a Rhydon. (this is a really specific example, what's the significance?)</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Tailwind is the most viable alternative to using Volbeat (this sounds like you can replace volbeat with tailwind; I would suggest "Tailwind is the most viable other option for Volbeat," but it's your choice), although its two-turn duration is very off-putting. Confuse Ray is another viable option, although the unreliability of confusion makes it a lesser option. An attacking set with Tail Glow / Bug Buzz / Giga Drain / Thunderbolt and a Life Orb can be considered (lol), but Volbeat doesn't have the bulk, Speed, or power (even after Tail Glow) to utilize it effectively. Volbeat's Attack is higher than its Special Attack and it does have a plethora of physical moves such as U-turn, Acrobatics, Ice Punch, and even Focus Punch, but again, its stats really hinder it. Lagging Tail or a status Orb used alongside Trick is feasible, although Volbeat doesn't have much room for it. Toxic is great to cripple most walls, but takes up a precious moveslot and usually isn't worth it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Manectric appreciates switching in on a Thunder Wave due to Lightningrod, and can blast Volbeat away with Overheat or Flamethrower. Rhydon doesn't care for Thunder Wave either, and can KO Volbeat even through Substitute with Rock Blast as long is it gets at least four hits (three if Stealth Rock is up). Phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind can remove Volbeat's boosts as well as the recipient's if they catch it on the switch. Dragon Tail can also work, but it's a bit unreliable due to its 90% accuracy and inability to phaze through Substitute. Steelix can learn both Roar and Dragon Tail, so it makes for a good check. Qwilfish can use Taunt to put a complete stop to Volbeat, but it must be wary of Substitute blocking the move (sub doesn't block taunt) and giving Volbeat setup opportunities. Keeping up the offensive momentum and threatening to KO or severely cripple Volbeat or its recipient is another way to avoid a successful pass. Lastly, any decently powerful Pokemon can KO Volbeat, although they will almost always be left crippled by Thunder Wave.</p>

gp 1/2

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rohail

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Volbeat isn't a Pokemon that seems very viable due to its pitiful stats, but a closer look reveals that it has access to the rare Prankster ability, which is where its main niche lies. It has all the right moves to utilize its ability as well, although the lack of Taunt really hinders it. Despite that, Volbeat makes for a great rain setter, supporting and also supports rain teams with paralysis support in the form of priority Thunder Wave. Volbeat also has a rare boosting move in Tail Glow, which it can effectively pass onto another Pokemon with priority Baton Pass, and priority Encore makes setting up against the likes of entry hazard leads and opposing boosting Pokemon easier. Unfortunately, Volbeat has low bulk and an even lower offensive presence, making setting up and passing a difficult task. Furthermore, its Bug typing is a double-edged sword; it gives Volbeat resistances to Fighting and Ground, but also burdens it with weaknesses to the omnipresent Fire- and Rock-type attacks. It faces a lot of competition from Liepard as a rain setter and Smeargle as a Baton Passer, as the former lacks a Stealth Rock weakness and the latter has an unarguably superior boosting move in Quiver Dance.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Volbeat's physical bulk, (AC) as its typing is more geared towards taking physical hits. A Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs ensure that Volbeat gets outsped by the majority of the metagame so it can U-turn into a rain sweeper without said sweeper taking damage unhindered. Sunny Day and Heat Rock can be used to turn Volbeat into a sun supporter, but Whimsicott gives it too much competition in that role. Roost can be used for reliable recovery, but Volbeat typically prefers the options listed above as they provide more utility overall. Pokemon that utilize the rain are obvious partners; Ludicolo, Omastar, Kabutops, and Moltres all fall into that category. Defensive Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Amoonguss also love the rain, as it mitigates their Fire-type weaknesses (especially for the former), and offensive variants of the latter also love the paralysis support Volbeat has to offer. Having a backup rain setter is highly recommended, just in case Volbeat goes down; Lanturn and Uxie fit that bill nicely.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Access to Tail Glow already gives Volbeat a niche as a Baton Passer, but Prankster elevates that niche to a whole new level. The +3 Special Attack boost, when passed to the right teammate, can be devastating for the opposing team. Encore aids Volbeat in the daunting task of setting up, as locking the opponent into a non-attacking move can give Volbeat just the time it needs to set up and pass. Substitute allows Volbeat to avoid status and, most importantly, Taunt, (AC) to aid in its setup. If the Substitute stays intact when Volbeat Baton Passes, the effects can be game-changing, as the opponent will almost always need to sacrifice at least one Pokemon to even attempt to regain momentum. Thunder Wave can be used instead to cripple the opposing Pokemon and make it easier to Baton Pass into its recipient safely.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Much like with the previous set, the EV spread utilizes Volbeat's Bug typing by giving it good physical bulk a more physically defensive approach. A Salac Berry can be used with an EV spread of 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD to pass a Speed boost to the recipient. However, this should only be used with Substitute, as Substitute makes it easy to get into activation range without having the risk of being KOed. Mental Herb can be used alongside Thunder Wave to get surefire protection from Taunt, but it's only a one-time thing. Roost can be used for reliable recovery, although but Volbeat is better off using the options listed above as they provide more utility overall. Bug Buzz seems tempting, but is usually a bad idea, as Volbeat will almost always want to do something other than outright attack the opponent; even if Volbeat gets Taunted, its best bet is to switch out, as it won't be doing much to the opponent with a pathetically weak Bug Buzz. Recipients for Tail Glow should typically be either bulky or fast, as Tail Glow only provides a Special Attack boost, leaving the recipient prone to revenge killing. Lanturn and Slowking are both good examples of bulky recipients that also provide a valuable Fire resistance, with the former having a Flying resistance as well. Manectric and Rotom-C are fast recipients that Volbeat can Baton Pass to when facing a Flying-type. Lastly, Tangrowth is a wonderful recipient when Volbeat is up against a Rhydon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Tailwind is the most viable other option for Volbeat, although its two-turn duration for the team is very off-putting. Confuse Ray is another viable option, although the unreliability of confusion makes it a lesser option. An attacking set with Tail Glow / Bug Buzz / Giga Drain / Thunderbolt and a Life Orb can be considered, but Volbeat doesn't have the bulk, Speed, or power (even after Tail Glow) to utilize it effectively. Volbeat's Attack is higher than its Special Attack and it does have a plethora of physical moves such as U-turn, Acrobatics, Ice Punch, and even Focus Punch, but again, its stats really hinder it. Lagging Tail or a status Orb used alongside Trick is feasible, although but Volbeat doesn't have much room for it. Toxic is great to cripple most walls, but takes up a precious moveslot and usually isn't worth it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Manectric appreciates switching in on a Thunder Wave due to Lightningrod, (RC) and can blast Volbeat away with Overheat or Flamethrower. Rhydon doesn't care for Thunder Wave either, (RC) and can KO Volbeat even through Substitute with Rock Blast as long is it gets at least four hits (three if Stealth Rock is up). Phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind can remove Volbeat's boosts as well as the recipient's if they catch it on the switch. Dragon Tail can also work, but it's a bit unreliable due to its 90% accuracy and inability to phaze through Substitute. Steelix can learn both Roar and Dragon Tail, so it makes for a good check. Qwilfish can use Taunt to put a complete stop to Volbeat, and it can even set up Spikes to annoy Volbeat's team. Keeping up the offensive momentum and threatening to KO or severely cripple Volbeat or its recipient is another way to avoid a successful pass. Lastly, any decently powerful Pokemon can KO Volbeat, although they will almost always be left crippled by Thunder Wave.</p>

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)