Volcanion [QC 3/3] (GP 2/2)

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: p2, Hootie, TDK

GP: The Dutch Plumberjack, Muk

[OVERVIEW]
Volcanion is a strong Pokemon in OU because it has a fantastic offensive typing that cements its status as a powerhouse and notably allows it to check Pokemon like Azumarill, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Mega Sableye. Volcanion synergizes fantastically with a lot of Pokemon like Fairy-, Grass-, and Dragon-types, as well as offensive Steel-types, due to its ability to threaten most opposing Steel-types. Its signature STAB attack, Steam Eruption, is one of its main selling points, having the same power as Hydro Pump but also the burn chance of Scald to pressure switch-ins. Its good movepool allows it to hit most of the metagame for at least neutral damage, and its STAB combination is already naturally difficult to deal with because Grass-type answers to its Water STAB cannot deal with its Fire attacks. Its ability, Water Absorb, is another reason it is so good, since it discourages opponents from spamming Scald. Notably, Volcanion is also a very solid switch-in to Azumarill, which is a difficult Pokemon to switch into. Volcanion is often paired with a Pursuit trapper–usually Tyranitar–to remove Latios and Latias, since they are some of its best switch-ins. Unfortunately, Volcanion is a bit on the slower side, and this coupled with a weakness to Stealth Rock means that its longevity is not the greatest despite a solid Defense stat. It is also weak to common Ground-, Electric-, and Rock-type moves.

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 1: Steam Eruption
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Earth Power
item: Choice Specs / Leftovers
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Steam Eruption is Volcanion's primary STAB move due to its high Base Power, ability to burn, and general lack of drawbacks with its high accuracy. Flamethrower is the secondary STAB option and nukes anything weak to it. Fire Blast is an option for additional power, but it can miss and most of its targets don't appreciate Flamethrower anyway. If you're running a non-Choice Specs set, Fire Blast is preferable for power. Sludge Bomb is coverage for Fairy-types like Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Altaria. It is used over Sludge Wave for its higher chance to inflict poison and still guarantees the OHKO on Azumarill. Hidden Power Grass allows Volcanion to hit other Water-types super effectively, especially Water Absorb Pokemon like Gastrodon. Earth Power is an alternative that can hit opposing Volcanion and eases prediction against cores like Volcanion + Tyranitar. Overheat is an option on Choice Specs sets to provide more destructive power, and you will often switch Volcanion out after firing off one or two attacks regardless of a Special Attack drop. Toxic can be used on Leftovers or Mystic Water variants to lure bulky Water-types.

Set Details
========
A Modest nature with maximum Special Attack maximizes Volcanion's wallbreaking prowess. Maximum Speed allows Volcanion to Speed tie Breloom so that it isn't as susceptible to Spore. It's also useful for outspeeding most defensive Landorus-T. A Timid nature is an option to get the jump on Adamant offensive Mega Scizor, Adamant Breloom, and Gliscor. Choice Specs is the best item for this set, since it turns Volcanion into a ridiculous wallbreaker capable of 2HKOing Pokemon that resist its attacks such as Latios and 2HKOing Rotom-W after Stealth Rock. Leftovers is also a nice option on this set to maintain longevity, and Volcanion's nice typing lets it heal against Steel-types pretty well. While Volcanion still retains power with Leftovers, you do lose the ability to bluff Choice Specs. Mystic Water is another option which can be used to bluff a Choice Specs set and take advantage of people trying to play around Volcanion with cores like Heatran + Latias, for example. Volcanion can run bulkier spreads as well because of its solid Defense stat, although generally you will want to max out its Speed.

Usage Tips
========
Steam Eruption is the main move to use if the opponent isn't packing a Water-immune Pokemon like an opposing Volcanion. Its high Base Power and chance to burn put a lot of pressure on the opposing team even if they have a bulky switch-in like Latias. It is notable, though, that Steam Eruption has low PP, so spamming it too much early-game can have an adverse effect on late-game plans. Flamethrower should be used when up against Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Mega Metagross, as well as against Grass-types like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. Sludge Bomb can be used for Fairy-types primarily, although it also hits Water- and Dragon-types a little harder than the resisted Steam Eruption. Hidden Power Grass should be used on predicted switches to break Water / Ground types, and Earth Power should be used similarly for opposing Volcanion switch-ins. These moves are primarily for when the opponent has a Water-immune Pokemon. Volcanion can switch into predicted Water-type moves like Scald as well as Fire- and Steel-type moves, which it 4x resists. It is a good idea to figure out how fast opposing Ground- and Rock-types are before staying in with Volcanion against them, since being outsped can result in it being KOed. Double switches and VoltTurn are great ways to bring Volcanion into play, since it is rather slow and does not like switching into repeated hits. If you're using Choice Specs over Leftovers, there's a heavy emphasis on prediction if the opponent has Water Absorb users. Be careful about switching into Pokemon like Scizor and Jirachi if Stealth Rock is up—they may U-turn out, and the entry hazard damage will rack up quickly.

Team Options
========
Tyranitar is an excellent partner because it Pursuit traps many of Volcanion's best checks such as Latias, Mega Latias, and Slowbro. In return, Volcanion threatens Steel-types and some bulky Ground-types for Tyranitar. Latios and Latias are good partners because they provide entry hazard removal for Volcanion, as well as soft checking Electric-types. They also appreciate that Volcanion takes advantage of Steel-types and of Tyranitar locked into Pursuit. Landorus-T is a good partner because it provides Stealth Rock and U-turn support and checks many of the quicker Ground-types that can threaten Volcanion with STAB Earthquake. Garchomp is another nice hazard setter to pair with Volcanion, but it is better as a speedy wallbreaker with the ability to bust past bulky Water-types by utilizing a Swords Dance set. Grass-types like Breloom, Serperior, and Tangrowth are excellent with Volcanion because they can break past or check bulky Water-types, which wall it. They also threaten faster Ground-types; Breloom and Tangrowth in particular are good at this. Mega Sceptile can act as a check to Electric-types as well. Mega Diancie sports strong offensive synergy with Volcanion, which appreciates Magic Bounce to fend off Stealth Rock and Diancie's ability to check Latios, Terrakion, and Tyranitar. Volcanion destroys Steel-types that check Mega Diancie and deters the likes of Choice Scarf Keldeo, Azumarill, and Crawdaunt from trying to revenge kill Diancie with Water-type moves. Mega Scizor is a good partner to Volcanion, since it soft checks many Ground-types and hard checks Rock-types. Volcanion greatly appreciates VoltTurn support to get free switches in, so partners like Tornadus-T and Rotom-W can prove very useful. Jirachi is another good pivot to pair with Volcanion, since it lures in Heatran and Ferrothorn and can use Healing Wish to bring Volcanion back to full HP later. Keldeo can be paired with Volcanion to help wear down Water-resistant Pokemon on the opposing team.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Type resistance Berries like Shuca Berry and Charti Berry can be used on offensive Volcanion to let it function as a lure, but ultimately this is very team dependent. Volcanion can utilize a defensive set with a spread of 232 HP / 176 Def / 4 SpD / 96 Spe with a Bold nature. This outspeeds all Adamant Azumarill while netting an extra point in Defense and avoiding a 4HKO from Stealth Rock. Such a set can run Haze to beat setup sweepers such as the aforementioned Azumarill. Unfortunately, a Stealth Rock weakness and lack of reliable recovery mean it is hard to utilize its defensive utility properly. RestTalk sets are also an option, as they alleviate the lack of recovery, but ultimately they are unreliable. Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice set but retain the ability to switch moves. Power Herb + Solar Beam is a niche set but can be a nice lure for bulky Water-types, which are common switch-ins to Volcanion.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Bulky Water-types** Gastrodon and Seismitoad are both immune to Steam Eruption and can comfortably take on any of Volcanion's other attacks except for Hidden Power Grass or Toxic. Volcanion can also check itself due to its immunity to its own Water attacks and a 4x resistance to Fire-type moves, but it does not take Earth Power or Sludge Bomb very well. Slowking, Alomomola, and Suicune have the bulk to take Choice Specs Steam Eruption and can PP stall it as well. Slowbro can take on Volcanion to some extent as well, but because it does not have as much Special Defense as Slowking, it is a much shakier check. Rotom-W is not a great check to Volcanion because Choice Specs-boosted Steam Eruption often 2HKOes, but at full HP Rotom-W does threaten Volcanion with a super effective Volt Switch.

**Bulky Walls** Chansey is one of the best Volcanion switch-ins since it can take any Choice Specs-boosted attacks and doesn't care much about the rare Toxic. Blissey is in the same boat. Mega Latias is a solid switch-in to Volcanion, since it can take most of its attacks comfortably, heal up, and then threaten it with STAB or coverage moves.

**Dragon-types** Dragons like Latias and Latios are some of the most popular switch-ins to Volcanion because they resist its STAB combination and aren't hit super effectively by its coverage moves. They also outspeed Volcanion and can threaten it with their STAB moves, but they are susceptible to Pursuit trapping, which is often found with Volcanion. Dragonite is a decent check to Volcanion especially with Multiscale intact, and it often carries a Lum Berry to guard it against burns. Kyurem-B is an offensive check to Volcanion, as it does not appreciate switching into Choice Specs-boosted Fire-type moves or taking burns from Steam Eruption, but in a one-on-one scenario it can outspeed Volcanion and hit it super effectively with Fusion Bolt.

**Rock-types** Offensive Rock-types such as Mega Diancie, Terrakion, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and Mega Aerodactyl can all outspeed and check Volcanion.

**Electric-types** Offensive Electric-types such as Thundurus, Mega Manectric, and Raikou all outspeed Volcanion and threaten it with STAB Thunderbolt or Volt Switch.

**Ground-types** Offensive Ground-types such as Garchomp, Excadrill, fast Landorus-T, and Diggersby can all OHKO Volcanion with Earthquake but won't dare switch into it.

Last edited:
In the moves section, I think it might be worthwhile to mention that Fire Blast is a potentially better option than Flamethrower on non-specs sets. There are a few different rolls where this matters, some of which I put in the hide tag below. Second, I think Toxic is a perfectly viable option on Leftovers and maybe even Mystic Water sets, so I feel like it should be mentioned somewhere as well.

Also, I'm not sure if 3 slashes is just too many but I feel that the order of effectiveness of items is Specs > Leftovers > Mystic Water. Specs is obviously the best because it's damn near impossible to switch in to. To me, lefties is next because it mitigates the SR weakness somewhat and allows you to heal off damage from stray U-Turns or what have you. Last is Mystic Water which doesn't have advantages over Lefties outside of bluffing specs and having a slight boost in power. Not sure what other's thoughts are, but those are mine.

252 SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 272-324 (90.3 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 332-392 (110.2 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 126-150 (35 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 152-182 (42.3 - 50.6%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 296-350 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 360-426 (105.5 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 160-190 (40.9 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 196-232 (50.1 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

p2

Banned deucer.
overview
when you say it synergises with things, specify what stuff like fairies, offensive steels, dragons, basically everything
need to mention something about it actually being an azumarill switchin and one of the best revenge killers to bd azu
slower speed is mentioned but mention weaknesses to common types

moves
agree with what urban is saying on fire blast / flamethrower, do that
sludge bomb is also used to guarantee the ohko on azumarill

set details
i like modest > timid. volc doesn't really have any business staying in on breloom and i don't think any bisharp would risk knocking off a volcanion anyway

team options
latis also appreciate volc checking steel types and taking advantage of the likes of scarftar locked into pursuit since it can come in and just fire off a steam eruption
mega diancie also appreciates volc deterring faster water revenge killers like scarf keld / azu / craw. though you can just generalise this as fairy types honestly because they're all amazing with volc

other options
throw in scarf, it can surprise its normal revenge killers in mdiancie/fast land-t/offensive chomper/scarftar etc, but forces volc to run a timid nature making it noticeably weaker and cant pressure teams as well as specs can.

c&c
should have a specific section for bulky walls: mega latias / chansey / the odd alomomola can pivot in easily

1/3

bludz

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
p2 I'll implement this today but please explain why Volc has no business saying in on Breloom. Volc can OHKO and Loom can't without 4 hits on Bullet Seed. Breloom's effectiveness is based on outspeeding a few things and forcing switches so I'd say this is pretty relevant. There are other things you outspeed like Gliscor, Adamant Diggersby, and neutral natured base 80s like Gardevoir or Mamoswine (though they should run +Spe in this Meta) and most variants of Zapdos. Also helps with random speed creeps on Lando and other things that creep Adamant Bisharp

If other QC members push for Modest as well then I'll change it but I'm not convinced by your current reasoning.

p2

Banned deucer.
spore is a pain in the ass that's why. i don't think i would ever risk volcanion getting spored and not to mention bullet seed does a ton and rock tomb actually ohkos after rocks assuming jolly lo. if volc was say 71 speed i could get behind running timid, but i don't see it as a great thing to run when the worst situation comes down to speed tying with loomer when you could just switch out to a grass type in the back.

not to mention everything else timid volcanion can outspeed apart from gliscor are all garbage, we're past the days of ada diggers/mamo / modest gard, and zapdos is just zapdos .-. . i usually advocate for +spe natures but in this case the raw power of volc definitely makes up for it

bludz

Hmm alright. I admit some of those things are kind of irrelevant for the most part. I still think getting a jump on Loom (who runs Jolly?), Gliscor, Zapdos and Adamant max Spe offensive Mega Scizor is pretty useful.

I'll put Modest as the main slash when I implement, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts of the next QC checker.

• Amazing offensive and defensive typing
I would tone this down a bit, as being weak to ground, electric and rock (including stealth rocks) is a letdown, even with its other solid immunity/resistances.

It's also probably worth mentioning that Volcanion should not be used as the main switch in to water types, as many water types have easier ways around Water Absorb (Keldeo's Secret Sword, Starmie's Psychic, etc.).

Toxic is a cool option of offensive sets, as it lures in common checks like the Latis.

Flame Charge is kinda garb, but it does allow Volcanion to clean up easier late game when its checks are weakened.

bludz

Ok I added Toxic as an option on non Choice Specs variants. Changed the wording about defensive typing as well and I'll add that part about not being the primary water switchin in usage tips

urban I'm inclined to agree with you that Leftovers > Mystic Water but I'm going to just make it the third slash for now since I'm not sure if that's the consensus. Also p2's check is implemented, ready for the next one

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Overview can touch upon Volcanion's ability to check Belly Drum Azumarill and bulky Mega Scizor, which offensive teams would greatly appreciate.

You could also mention more Earth Power targets like Tentacruel, Dragalge, and Mega Ampharos; hitting Volcanion isn't the only thing Earth Power is good for, and Specs Sludge Bomb already 2HKOes anyway.

In OO, competition to the defensive set could also be noted; either Heatran or Tentacruel accomplish a large majority of what defensive Volcanion wants to do, and are effective enough at their own roles. Defensive Volcanion just feels like shitty role compression of those two mons since it barely offers any unique support.

I have doubts on Leftovers being slashed on the set, as opposed to simply being relegated in Set Details. Lacking a power-boosting item really impacts Volcanion since it noticeably lacks the raw power to simply 2HKO / 3HKO things by spamming its STABs anymore, meaning it functions more like a soft offensive check to shit instead of being a dedicated holepuncher.

bludz

I already mentioned BD Azu...I can add Scizor.

Tentacruel and Mega Ampharos aren't really worth mentioning, I can maybe put in Drag but Earth Power is honestly for other Volcs. OHKO > 2HKO

Good point on the defensive set stuff, but I'll focus on Heatran and other Water Absorb mons, Tentacruel once again is not particularly good in OU and shouldn't really be getting mentions in analyses.

Regarding Leftovers, I had it in Set Details but decided to move it to a slash. This way it would get more attention as a potential slash - if QC wants me to take it out I can. Mystic Water hardly improves holepunching prowess, so I don't really see it as particularly better

Last edited:
I agree with bludz that Timid should be the first slash for nature. The extra power isn't really necessary when you consider how consistent and high powered Volc's STABs and coverage options are, and I can't think of any important OHKOs or 2HKOs that modest nets over timid. On top of that, that whole speed tier is really crowded considering speed creep for adamant Bisharp is common on Rotom-W, the pixie legendaries, Offensive Mega Zor, etc, so I don't know why you wouldn't want the speed anyway. It's also nice for tying Loom/Bish, but tbh that scenario seems kind of inconsequential to me because anyone who is risking their Loomer or Bish to beat a Volcanion is probably grasping at straws already anyway.

I would personally mention Keldeo as teammate, they have strong offensive synergy since they have got same checks (Lati@s / Venusaur / Amoonguss / Gastrodon / Jellicent etc..)

I think ebelt should at least get a mention, it can occasionally bluff mystic water or a choice item and does achieve notable KOs:

252+ SpA Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 260-306 (67.7 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Expert Belt Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 312-367 (81.2 - 95.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Volcanion Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Expert Belt Volcanion Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 283-334 (94 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Volcanion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 136-162 (44.8 - 53.4%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Expert Belt Volcanion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 163-194 (53.7 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 208-246 (71.4 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Expert Belt Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 250-295 (85.9 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

it is true that a lot of the situations above are fairly uncommon but I feel they are relevant enough for at least a set details mention. It also hits some other miscellaneous targets such as a high chance to 2HKO mega gyara (nearly always lives +1 Crunch after SR) and OHKO Crawdaunt. If it's timid volc, Ebelt allows it to 2HKO AV Azu, guarantees OHKO on opposing Volcanion after SR and 2HKOes Rotom-W with HP Grass after SR

Just here to say that Timid is the absolute best nature to be running on all offensive Volcanion. urban really hit the nail on coffin since the speed tier is one of the most crowded ones in the metagame and leaving yourself suspectible to being outpaced by everything is really big, especially considering that a lot of Bisharp & Loom are running Adamant these days which gives it more of a reason to even use Timid. And as he said, you don't miss out on too much power actually, since base 110 STABs hit ridiculously hard regardless.

Also Toxic is really good in the last slot, EP / HP Grass is fine, but honestly Toxic seems really superior most of the time since you don't HAVE to run Specs you can run Lefties or a Type resist berry. Without Specs HP Grass is piss weak against things like Slowking/Bro, Cune, and Jellicent, the latter of which is sorta obscure in a sense, but hyped a lot right now. At least with Toxic you can cripple your few checks bar Cune and pressure them a lot more. Earth Power is cool, but Toxic + hazards wear down opposing Volcanion a lot which makes it sorta overlap with EP.

So imo Toxic deserves a slash since it's one of the best filler options to run if you're not using Specs and ya Timid is a lot better.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This analysis looks pretty good, but I just think some of the slashes should be reordered imo. Leftovers should be placed ahead of mystic water, maybe even specs since the passive recovery is so valuable for a rocks weak mon that checks so much stuff and steam eruption does quite a bit to neutral mons even without a boost and still has that nifty burn chance. Another potential merit over specs is that it can run toxic without locking itself into it, which is really nice for the numerous bulky waters that try to switch in on it. Toxic Should be added ahead of earth power and maybe ahead of hp grass since it is basically the best option on any set that isn't running specs since hp grass is laughably weak without a boost. Lastly, Timid should be slashed ahead of modest since bisharp runs adamant as its most common spread. A lot of this stuff has been mentioned, but these are just my opinions on the set. Also, LO power is an interesting option to mention in OO for chansey, although it's not that great of an option for most teams.

Last edited:
Modest with Overheat has some merits for OO at least.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 300-354 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 382-450 (97.6 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 327-385 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

May be a few more but if going Modest may as well go all out.

EDIT: A few more relevant calcs.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Clefable: 379-447 (96.4 - 113.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 255-301 (78.9 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Sableye: 309-364 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Reuniclus: 375-442 (88.4 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 248 HP / 180+ SpD Zapdos: 288-339 (75.1 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 270-318 (96 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I'm not saying all of these calcs are super relevant but going from Timid Fire Blast to Modest Overheat is really a significant jump, being stronger than SE Sludge Bomb against Fairies other than Azumarill and Mega Altaria, meaning you COULD run HP Grass over Sludge Bomb which will still OHKO Azumarill after Belly Sitrus, and now be able to hit all those bulky waters, if that's something one is interested in.

Last edited:

bludz

I would personally mention Keldeo as teammate, they have strong offensive synergy since they have got same checks (Lati@s / Venusaur / Amoonguss / Gastrodon / Jellicent etc..)
Hey I was wondering if you could elaborate on this

Generally either Keldeo or Volcanion is paired with a Pursuit trapper which is a solid way to remove most of their checks/counters, so I don't really see much merit in overloading. Stuff like Jellicent just hard walls both and Amoong doesn't check Volc too well

That's my initial reaction to pairing with Keldeo. I'm sure there's a little more to it so I think it would be helpful if you would go into more detail on why you think they work well together

Also Hootie give me a check !_!

Overview
Mention what it's typing helps it check i.e. mons like Azumarill, Clefable, Mega Scizor, etc. which are all mons that are a pain to deal with for most teams. The third point talking about Steam Eruption should say something more along the lines of it being its most powerful move that at the same time pressures what switches into it because it's most of the reason why this mon can be such a pain to deal with if you're not packing immunities such as Gastrodon or Suicune. Mention that its good movepool lets it at least hit most of the mons in the meta for at least neutral damage. I'd definitely highlight how unlike other Water-types in the tier, its Fire STAB makes it much trickier to check because it tears through more traditional Scald switch ins such as Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, and AV Tangrowth. When you talk about Pokemon that it pairs well with, you should definitely mention Tyranitar in particular because it traps Lati@s which are likely to be Volcanion's common switch ins on offensive teams.

Moves
I don't feel that Sludge Bomb is a whole lot necessary, at the very least it's not good enough to be slashed on its own. Clefable and Mega Gardevoir are already taking loads from either of its STABs and Mega Altaria keeps fading more and more as the meta develops (Offensive DD sets hate getting burned anyway). The Poison chance isn't too relevant either considering you already have Steam Eruption's secondary effect pressuring resists. OHKOing Azumarill is nice and all but it obviously requires prediction and being locked into Sludge Bomb is much easier to respond to than Steam Eruption which with a Modest nature, 2HKOes Azumarill after Stealth Rock or if it gets burned anyway. Basically from all this, I want you to slash Earth Power after Sludge Bomb as well because hitting opposing Volcanion is pretty important. Not sure on Toxic either because losing out on extra coverage kinda sucks when at best it only cripples something like Gastrodon and Alomomola in the long term, which the latter is uncommon as is.

Set Details
Volcanion's doesn't take any more from Stealth Rock by investing in 4 HP so just remove that point and move those EVs in HP. Not a fan of 3 items being slashed because it makes things look a bit cluttered. Mystic Water should still be mentioned, but remove it as a slash because I feel its the least useful out of the three.

Usage Tips
I know Steam Eruption has the same effect as Scald, but I feel that it isn't always necessary to use it to pressure its checks because the limited PP can end up being an issue in the later stages of the game, so I'd highlight that somewhere in your first bullet point. Mention that Fire STAB should also be used for mons such as Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss.

Other Options
I really really hate Scarf on this mon because like you mentioned it doesn't outspeed Mega Lopunny and by extension Mega Manectric and it takes away so much from its offensive potential just to catch some Pokemon off guard. Power Herb Solar Beam isn't worth a mention either because Heatran at least has Magma Storm to trap bulky Waters that switch in. Wacan berry I'm not really a fan of because most Electrics can just Volt Switch out anyway so remove that as well.

Checks and Counters
Very minor, but when you write up the bulky Water-type section, mention the Water immune mons before the rest. I'd also emphasize how Slowbro is very shaky when compared to Slowking, even when it has Calm Mind.

2/3

Air Balloon deserves at least a passing mention in my opinion, as with it it gets a much better match-up versus other common leads like Landorus-T and Garchomp. Plays very similar to offensive Heatran. Nice way to force switches and stop Stealth Rock from going up. Scarf also performs a similar job but can be used to lure Landy and Garchomp to stay in and try and kill him off, but Scarf lacks power and is overall significantly easier to play around in my (admittedly rather limited) experience.

bludz

I've implemented Hootie's check and written this up. Ready for the third check

I think HP Ice can be an option, just because of how many people switch Latios into this thing. Relevant calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 200-236 (66.8 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
184 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 253-300 (69.5 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 152-180 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Also, Choice Scarf Volcanion is actually really good with spikes. Being able to outspeed and OHKO Thundurus after rocks, and 2HKO AV Raikou after rocks and spikes is huge because this is many teams' way of checking it. People often can't wall it and so they use faster mons to revenge kill it, but it can kill them with a scarf. Plus, no one expects it.
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 144-171 (44.5 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Raikou: 132-156 (41.1 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 237-280 (79.2 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I think HP Ice can be an option, just because of how many people switch Latios into this thing. Relevant calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 200-236 (66.8 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
184 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 253-300 (69.5 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 152-180 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Also, Choice Scarf Volcanion is actually really good with spikes. Being able to outspeed and OHKO Thundurus after rocks, and 2HKO AV Raikou after rocks and spikes is huge because this is many teams' way of checking it. People often can't wall it and so they use faster mons to revenge kill it, but it can kill them with a scarf. Plus, no one expects it.
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 144-171 (44.5 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Raikou: 132-156 (41.1 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 237-280 (79.2 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
The Mega Latias calc is irrevelant because M-Lati outspeeds and can simply Roost off the damage. Unless Volcanion is paired with a Pursuit trapper, chances are it cannot take advantage of it. That also depends on whether or not Reflect Type Mega Latias is still a thing

HP Ice is an -ok- option, but most everything HP Ice hits outside of Garchomp is hit plenty hard by either Steam Eruption or Sludge Wave/Bomb, especially if you are running Specs. The Latios calc in particular shows that even with HP Ice, Lati lives SR + 1 round of LO damage almost all of the time, so your Volcanion will be forced out in most scenarios anyway.
Scarf Volcanion is pretty buns because its STABs have low PP and are not the greatest things to be locked into considering most teams carry Water/Fire resists as a part of team building. It also lacks the ability to bypass its checks like Specs does and suffers from rather low speed for a Scarfer. That being said, it does well against most priority, so maybe an OO mention would be fitting. However, I do have to say that the calcs you posted are mostly irrelevant because a Modest nature leaves you outsped by anything above base 115 speed, including Raikou and Torn-T - plus, AV Torn and Kou are both not very good right now.

Edit @ below: Apparently not. Fixed.

Last edited:
However, I do have to say that the calcs you posted are totally irrelevant because Eruption is not a viable option on something weak to rocks and because a Modest nature leaves you outsped by anything above base 115 speed, including Raikou and Torn-T.
... Um, what? Did you even read the calcs? He calced with Steam Eruption, not Eruption.

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Overview

I don't really believe Volcanion has a good defensive typing; it honestly isn't great in the slightest, its really just its typing alongside its ability makes it have some nice usage to check things like Azumarill, but idk about opening with it has a good defensive typing. Being Rock weak sucks big time in this meta, and while Volcanion is a cute check to a few things, a lot of the times you don't use it because of its defensive typing and speed. If you need a Scizor check, Heatran isn't weak to rocks and is there, for example.

The rest of this is solid tho, you do a good job pointing out the longevity thing which is a huge reason to not want to use Volcanion.

Moves

I would give Overheat a mention in Set Details; when running Specs, Overheat is a perfectly fine option as you'll not be wanting to stay in more than a turn or two.

Not too sure on having Toxic under Moves, although it's a solid option I feel like it's not something that belongs up here. If you think it should that's fine but I personally wouldn't leave it there.

Set Details

Although faster sets are optimal, I'd put in a mention about running a bulky offensive spread, something like 252 HP / 252 SpA. It gets a crazy bulk improvement, nearly comparable to offensive Mega Heracross -> Bulky Mega Heracross, but a lot of the time the attacks it would survive with max HP don't occur often enough to warrant being outsped by things like Rotom and Defensive Lando.

Usage Tips

I'd put a little mention to be more weary about switching it in with Rocks up, especially vs potential U-turning mons like Mega Scizor and Jirachi, as damage racks up quickly and it'll be forced out right away.

Team Options

Don't mention Mega Sceptile pls

I would add mentions of both Jirachi and Keldeo as potential teammates; Jirachi can grab momentum for Volcanion and U-turn on stuff like Heatran and Ferrothorn as well as help Volcanion with the fact it gets worn down quickly by healing it back up with Healing Wish. Keldeo + Volcanion makes a solid double Water core that can pressure past potential switchins by wearing them down.

Other Options

I feel like Expert Belt deserves a mention here at least, although I'm not a big fan of it I've seen it used and I think it's a justifiable option.

Checks and Counters

I would mention Rotom-W a little bit although it gets annoyed p easily. It's not in Electrics or Waters so I think it should get a mention in either spot.

3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)