Pokémon Volcanion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving this mon! It has an amazing (and a bit broken, lbr) signature move, great power, awesome STAB's/typing, good resistances and it looks like an option over Heatran, REALLY looking forward to using him!

I don't even think it needs that much coverage as nothing but Stall mons want to get a burn on the switch, actually I don't anything but bulky waters/grasses want to switch into Steam Eruption period lol. That Electric weakness is kind of bad but Thundurus/Manectric/Raikou can't really switch in comfortably either. I guess Rotom-W can switch in, but it can only Volt Switch from there, basically. Just hoping it gets some cool physical moves to go along with that nice Attack stat, though I find it unlikely that it'll get Ice beam/Thunderbolt.

The best event mon from this Gen, imo!

Man, water types really do get everything. Water as a type is so overpowered in general.

Anyways, despite the stat spread, it can't switch in to things as easily due to it being prone to being worn down due to only a few notable resistances (besides the immunity to water of course). It pretty much has to be like a more offensive tank similar to mons like conkeldurr where you take a hit and hit back hard, plus stealth rock weakness hurts and can really wear down volcanion easily. This thing needs wish support.

Despite this, volcanion is such a cool mon, and would be a great asset for various playstyles, most notably bulky offense and rain teams in general. Being able to take on what troubles rain teams the most such as ferrothorn and other grass types (kinda) is really good, as well as just being a great water absorber for opposing water types like azumarill is also swell.

Being able to take at least one unboosted earthquake with that gargantuan 120 defense is outstanding as well, great for like a last ditch situation.

All we need now is a good bug/water type and the type will be complete.

All we need now is a good bug/water type and the type will be complete.
Wot you chattin' 'bout? Surskit is teh bomb!! Moving on...

Something that has been touched upon is this thing has great defensive typing and reasonable defensive stats. To reiterate what we're looking at is:

Resistances - Water (Immunity), Fire (x4), Ice (x4), Steel (x4), Bug, Fairy

Weaknesses - Rock, Ground, Electric

Pair it with almost any Ground type and you've pretty much got a core right there (Landorus being a pretty great example, being immune to Electric and Ground whilst neutral to Rock and having it's only weaknesses covered perfectly by Volcanion, but Garchomp is also a reasonable idea).

I think that Fairy resistance is a pretty big deal too; Fairy resistance is pretty rare so with a bit of defense investment you could likely switch in without too many worries - likewise that Steel resistance can be used to protect fairies on your team to a reasonable approximation.

Lastly it's an ideal check to some very meta pokemon - Azumarill has already been covered, but on top of that is there a better Scizor counter than Volcanion? I certainly can't think or one.

What I'm trying to say is, I think it's neat.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Lol it doesn't get Surf, not that it needs it when you can spam Steam Eruption. Explosion could be good on a Scarf set as a "fuck you" and gives you a free switch.

List of learned TMs:

Roar, Toxic, Hidden Power, Sunny Day, Hyper Beam, Protect, Frustration, Solar Beam, Smack Down, Earthquake, Return, Brick Break, Double Team, Sludge Wave, Flamethrower, Sludge Bomb, Sandstorm, Fire Blast, Facade, Flame Charge, Rest, Round, Overheat, Focus Blast, Scald, Fling, Incinerate, Will-o-Wisp, Explosion, Giga Impact, Stone Edge, Gyro Ball, Bulldoze, Rock Slide, Swagger, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Flash Cannon, Rock Smash, Confide, Cut, Strength

Too bad it doesn't get Thunderbolt.

Last edited:
Aw, the lack of any non-Hidden Power coverage move to deal with Water-types or Dragon-types is a bit of a bummer. I was hoping for Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Ice Beam, or maybe even Dazzling Gleam to help in that department, but I guess it's alright. Volcanion will still be nearly impossible to safely switch into due to how absurdly good Steam Eruption coming off a base 130 SpA stat is. With the exception of the pink blobs, practically nothing will want to switch into Volcanion. Keep in mind that Volcanion has the highest SpA stat of any Water-type allowed in the standard metagame that can still hold items (in other words, not counting Mega Blastiose), which makes its STAB Steam Eruption that much scarier. Unless you're immune to Water, you're going to take a ton of damage from Steam Eruption and/or risk taking a burn. Even more niche things like Celebi and Shaymin that normally wouldn't be afraid of the move can get destroyed on the switch by a STAB Fire Blast.

I have to say, Volcanion was easily my favorite of the three event legends when they were announced, and I really wanted it to be good. I have not been disappointed.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, just noticed that Volcanion gets all of Earthquake, Stone Edge, Gyro Ball and Flare Blitz off a 110 base attack stat. Perhaps a mixed set would be usable, something like Fire Blast/Steam Eruption/Stone Edge/Earthquake? Or would Focus Blast make that redundant coverage?

updated with the tm list

super unfortunate that he doesn't get thunderbolt but at least sludge wave kills azumarill (a thing he is meant to counter) as well as every other fairy hard

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 272-320 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Too bad it doesn't get Thunderbolt.
Shouldn't be too bad since between Fire Blast/Steam Eruption/Sludge Wave/Focus Blast it's only resisted by Tentacruel, Jellicent, Qwilfish, Dragalge, and Giratina and if it really wants to hit Tentacruel that badly it can run Earthquake over Focus Blast.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was gonna suggest a surprise Solarbeam set with Mega Charizard Y as a partner, but then I realized that it would be redundant, since Steam Eruption nails Rock- and Ground-types already, and Volcanion doesn't worry about Water-types in the least.

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
** PS! Says it's stats are 70/109/120/121/110/70 **

Volcanion may be able to utilize Solar Beam if it's used in conjunction with CharY. Although it's Water-STAB's are weaker, opposing Water-typer cant come in.

It can also use a Power Herb set with an one-time nuke. It may happen to look like Heatran's set:

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SAtk / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Volcanion @ Power Herb
Ability: Water Absorb
EV's: 80 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- HP Electric / HP Ice

252 SpA Volcanion Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 272-320 (84.2 - 99%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Volcanion Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 298-352 (73.7 - 87.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

252 SpA Volcanion Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 200-236 (60.2 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
252+ Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Volcanion: (31.3 - 36.8%) 70.1% chance to 3HKO

I'd say he takes that pretty well.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
** PS! Says it's stats are 70/109/120/121/110/70 **

Volcanion may be able to utilize Solar Beam if it's used in conjunction with CharY. Although it's Water-STAB's are weaker, opposing Water-typer cant come in.

It can also use a Power Herb set with an one-time nuke. It may happen to look like Heatran's set:

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SAtk / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Volcanion @ Power Herb
EV's: 80 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- HP Electric / HP Ice

252 SpA Volcanion Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 272-320 (84.2 - 99%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Volcanion Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 298-352 (73.7 - 87.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

252 SpA Volcanion Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 200-236 (60.2 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
PS's stats are old estimates and have not yet been updated to match the actual stats.

Holy CRAP this thing is death!! >.> I wonder if this Pokemon will be receiving Thousand Arrows or Thousand Waves. I would love to see that. It's a shame about its speed being a little low, but it definitely has the bulk to support that lower speed. But Steam Eruption looks absolutely terrifying, I must say.
From what I've heard those are Ground type moves, so they are probably going to Zygarde in some way.

Did ya'll know that Volcanion can run Hasty Nature on a Mixed set because even with a Hindering Nature, Volcanion's base defense becomes equal to a Heatran's Defense Stat with no Defense EVs? He doesn't even need to invest in Special Attack because his Special Attack stat is so High. 156 Attack EVs put him at 295/296 Offenses with this set. Then you could slap on Life Orb to hit harder.

Volcanion @ Life Orb
EV's: 96 HP / 156 Atk / 252 Speed
Hasty Nature

dialganet

Banned deucer.
This thing is scary. Three X4 resistances and an immunity on a supposed-to-be neutral attack on an offensive mon, are you kidding me?

I can already think of at least 3-4 scary sets: specs, scarf, both sets that can actually go mixed with EQ or Stone Miss, Assault Vest, Sub+3 Attacks. The key is steam Eruption, which is by far the best move to be locked in, bar Water Absorb guys. He's a more offensive Heatran, or a 2.0 slower (and special) Entei with everything better but speed. Speaking of Entei, you could even stay modest-timid, and cripple the switch in with bulldoze, just to Fire Blast, Focus Miss/Sludge Bomb or Steamroll (literally) on him. Can't wait for the event.

dam this thing looks really nice, as someone mentioned above landorus/gliscor form real easy cores with this thing. good defensive fire types are few and far between but should be really useful for checking azumarill, scizor, rotom to a degree

calm mind clefable? cant do anything to volc except resisted hits, and takes a sludge wave in return. hot stuff.

this thing could be a really nice zard Y switch in too, soaking up solar beams and focus flasts and hit back with steam eruption. plus its pretty much the only thing that can force zard Y out while actually benefitting from the sun rather than it being detrimental

not to mention that keldeo, whos seeing a big spike in usage atm, struggles against this thing

I remember when this guy was first 'revealed' and there was a rumor that stated he was going to get a Fire/Water dual-type move. Has there been any confirmation or denial of this?

His movepool thus far is kind of disappointing. Despite his monstrous Attack stat he only gets Flare Blitz (which is nice) and Flame Charge as Physical STABs. No Physical Water Stabs like Waterfall or Aqua Tail. And his physical coverage is still pretty slim pickings aside from the usual (Earthquake and Return. He doesn't even get Stone Edge.) Which means the majority of his sets will be Special. Which makes sense with that Steam Eruption.

Last edited:
Well, at least it gets Earthquake to deal with Electric-types except the most relevant ones lol. Whatever, they still need to deal with Steam Eruption. Should be a nice bulky mon and a great check to some of the things already mentioned in here. Really excited to try him out! Fuck Azumarill!

I remember when this guy was first 'revealed' and there was a rumor that stated he was going to get a Fire/Water dual-type move. Has there been any confirmation or denial of this?

His movepool thus far is kind of disappointing. Despite his monstrous Attack stat he only gets Flare Blitz (which is nice) and Flame Charge as Physical STABs. No Physical Water Stabs like Waterfall or Aqua Tail. And his physical coverage is still pretty slim pickings aside from the usual (Earthquake and Return. He doesn't even get Stone Edge.) Which means the majority of his sets will be Special. Which makes sense with that Steam Eruption.
he actually does get stone edge, I forgot to put it in the list. and that water/fire dual type move is a fake rumour

I was gonna suggest a surprise Solarbeam set with Mega Charizard Y as a partner, but then I realized that it would be redundant, since Steam Eruption nails Rock- and Ground-types already, and Volcanion doesn't worry about Water-types in the least.
It doesn't worry about switching into water types, but it can't hit water types with supper effective damage.

Shame that it won't ever have anything to hit the Dragons that resist its STABs outside of Hidden Power Ice. :c
see:
I feel like it honestly won't, but does it need it?
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 148-174 (45.6 - 53.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (multiscale broken, thanks SR!!)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 339-400 (94.6 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 339-400 (113.7 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 136-161 (45 - 53.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 118-139 (39 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 258-304 (85.4 - 100.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 309-364 (86.3 - 101.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 161-190 (41 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
The only one truly capable of switching in without fear is... Goodra, which is shit anyways. And they've got to watch out for the burn chance. I'd say Ice Beam would be nice, but just not 100% necessary.
No Ice Beam is not bad by any means, as Dragon types hate burns!

EDIT:
Also, this is pure theorymon but a set of Steam Eruption / Fire Blast / Flame Charge / Focus Blast sounds pretty damn good! A defensive set of Roar / Steam Eruption / Fire Blast / Substitute sounds fun too! I swear to fucking god if I ever see a Scald Volcanion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)