OU Volcarona

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think HP Rock should be mentioned in other options. Smacks the Zard's and lets you catch talonflame on the switch. Ttar/Rotom-w should be mentioned in teamm8's cause they deal with talonflame, this things main check.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
I think HP Rock should be mentioned in other options. Smacks the Zard's and lets you catch talonflame on the switch. Ttar/Rotom-w should be mentioned in teamm8's cause they deal with talonflame, this things main check.
Yeah, I put an HP Rock mention, just not in OO, doing that now, and implementing the additions to teammates.

Last edited:

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Would a Passho Berry be suitable for a mention in OO?

I've been doing some testing, and apparently Volcarona can always survive a Specs Keldeo HPump with a Passho berry at full health, setup and KO with Giga drain with a smidgen of prior damage, and can avoid a revengekill from CB Azu's Aqua jet and KO with some prior damage (SR).

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would a Passho Berry be suitable for a mention in OO?

I've been doing some testing, and apparently Volcarona can always survive a Specs Keldeo HPump with a Passho berry at full health, setup and KO with Giga drain with a smidgen of prior damage, and can avoid a revengekill from CB Azu's Aqua jet and KO with some prior damage (SR).
Not qc, but I think passho might be too situational even for OO, as LO or lefties are generally more consistent. But I guess it could go in other options.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i would actually set details or even slash passho, i've used it before and it's great. also means scarf keldeo will never revenge kill you even if you're a bit weakened, you can live a gyarados waterfall and 2hko with +1 giga drain given a teensie bit of prior damage, you can set up on greninja, scalds from bulky waters will do nothing, it's nice. for offensive volc i like that or lum.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Set Details
=======

Maximum HP investment is used in order to take hits better, with 120 Speed EVs are used to tie with neutral-natured Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl, with the rest in Defence. To further Volcarona's physical bulk, a Bold nature is used.
Nitpicky, but wouldn't it be better just, well, outspeed the Megas you just mentioned? With four more mere EVs, you do just that, and you don't have to worry about being killed by a stray Psyshock or Stone Edge at +1.

Also, I'd support Passho Berry, if not just for setting up on overconfident Keldeos and Greninjas, and having a bit of rainy day money against Azumarill.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Nitpicky, but wouldn't it be better just, well, outspeed the Megas you just mentioned? With four more mere EVs, you do just that, and you don't have to worry about being killed by a stray Psyshock or Stone Edge at +1.

Also, I'd support Passho Berry, if not just for setting up on overconfident Keldeos and Greninjas, and having a bit of rainy day money against Azumarill.
Implementing now, thanks!

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
"Maximum HP investment is used in order to take hits better, with 124 Speed EVs are used to outspeed neutral-natured Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl after a Quiver Dance"
Also, you say max hp is used in the second set, but 248 hp evs are used - mention that and how it gives volc an odd hp number for SR switch ins, like you did on the first set.
Gotcha, thanks!

I see this kinda thing in a lot of analyses so I might try and address this more broadly at some point, but the point is that this suggestion really makes no sense under scrutiny. If you send out a Terrakion and start slugging away at the opponent the last thing they're going to do is have a Chansey, or or whatever be weakened by this. I mean think about it.. Choice Band Terrakion might be a good for something that hates Lando/Gliscor/Hippo/Mega Scizor/ALomomola/Skarmory/Quagsire/Venusaur or something because it can lure these in and deal a crushing attack, or at least important semi-permanent damage to them. Volcarona tends to have bigger problems than those kinds of mons or even has an easy time with them. But even suggesting things that directly counter Volcarona's counter don't actually help Volcarona vs. its counters. The team will benefit from this, as you will be able to regain some kind of momentum, but say.. switching a Gengar into a Chansey doesn't really do anything if the opponent responds with Knock Off Sdef Gliscor (which counters Volcarona anyways but that's not the point). So it should be worded to say that it's more an offensive partner than something to help beat its checks.

In my head at least, a better way to go about supporting Volcarona would be lures or trappers to its counters, though Volcarona is not all that outstanding, so an entire teamslot to trap for it would be excessive. "Special Overload" is probably the most viable offensive support I think Volcarona can get. A team with a specially offensive bias that has its own tools to screw around with typically common specially defensive Pokemon can degrade the opponent's AV users, Heatran, Chansey, Unaware Clef, and all the other things that are a nightmare for Volcarona. Unexpected Taunts, U-turns, Knock Offs, coverage moves or just plain hazards+double switching would actually serve to do lasting damage to counters.

But I gotta say I do not relaly know how to use this thing. I built a team around it in the Genesect/Lucario era and even then it didn't really do much.
To be honest, I agree with everything Ash Borer is saying here, luring Heatran and Azumarill in particular is really easy to do, since they already check a lot of Pokemon. Coming up with lures that pair well with Volcarona should hardly be difficult.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
imo, slash passho first

mention some waters in c&c espec av/banded azu, scarf keldeo tho passho can screw with them pretty nicely.

3/3

hi friend, amcheck :]

Add Remove (Comments)

Overview
########
Volcarona is an interesting Pokemon,.(remove comma, add period) With access to one of the best moves in the game, Quiver Dance, it makes for a truly formidable sweeper. Having good STABs, recovery, and a fantastic boosting move would seem to make this thing a common OU pokemon. Sadly, Volcarona also has some crippling flaws that hold it back, such as a glaring 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, a case of 4MSS, and low physical bulk. In addition, Volcarona matches poorly against some of the most prominent OU playstyles right nowin the current metagame, such as BirdSpam and Sand Offense, which both can severely limit its effectiveness. However, with proper team support, Volcarona can easily break teams in two, and can be used as a reliable win condition as well.

Offensive Quiver Dance
########
name: Offensive Quiver Dance
move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Bug Buzz
ability: Flame Body
item: Passho Berry / Life Orb / Lum Berry
evs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Volcarona was blessed with Quiver Dance, a move that boosts Special Attack, Special Defencse, and Speed by +1, making it an extremely potent sweeper, and also makes it trickier to revenge kill on the special side. Fire Blast is ridiculously powerful backed up with a Life Orb boost. It rips and tears at +1, breaking down and delivering a 2HKO to pokemon like Sylveon, which is noted for its massive Special Defencse. Giga Drain is almost necessary, providing a way for Volcarona to defeat bulky Water-types, and has the added bonus of being able to stave off Life Orb damage. In addition, it can KO Keldeo, Terrakion, and Manaphy after Stealth Rocks, which are massive threats that Volcarona would struggle to beat otherwise.(I think Manaphy and, to a lesser extent, Keldeo, fall under "bulky water-types." Maybe mention other examples?) Hidden Power Ground is used to KO Heatran and Mega Charizard X, two common pokemon that resist its Fire/Grass coverage. However, STAB Bug Buzz is a viable option to KO Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias at +1, which otherwise can tank Volcarona's other moves.

Set Details
=======

96 HP EVs give Volcarona an odd HP stat, which allows it 3 switch-ins to SR.(I think it's better to mention this last—this is more of an EV dump as Volcarona has an odd HP number with 0 HP EVs) 160 Speed EVs outspeed Mega Manectric and Scarf Heatran at +1, and Adamant Excadrill without sand up at +0. 252 SpA EVs with a Modest nature maximize Special Attack, and Life Orb delivers a large boost to power. However, Lum Berry is a good alternative to prevent status, and Passho Berry allows Volcarona to setup in a pinch or avoid a revenge kill from the likes of Keldeo and Azumarill.

Usage Tips
========

Volcarona is countered and checked by commonly used Pokemon such as Heatran, meaning that Volcarona can be used to lure them in and KO them with a Hidden Power. If that is the case, Volcarona should be sent out early to make the opponent lose an important Pokemon at the start of the game, which is not only helpful to your team, it often makes Volcarona's sweeping slightly easier.(I feel this could be reworded, Volcarona doesn't exactly force your opponent to lose a Pokemon that Hidden Power lures) That being said, when attempting to finish and clean the opposing team, Volcarona is ideal late-game, when any checks or counters have been defeated or severely weakened, allowing to to setup and mercilessly ravage through the team with no interruption. To make all the above easier, keeping Stealth Rock off the field is imperative, as otherwise Volcarona will be crippled and be much easier to check, and often won't get as many setup opportunities.

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is the first and foremost thing needed when using Volcarona, as being 4x SR weak almost often requires a hazard remover. Pokemon like Bulky Starmie, Excadrill and Latias are good at this role, and get rid of hazards very efficiently. For offensive partners, physical wallbreakers like CB Terrakion can regain momentum and force out Volcarona's checks and counters, while being able to demolish anything that stands in its way. Pokemon that also lure in and beat Volcarona's counters such as Knock Off Lando-I are fantastic partners, weakening and allowing Volcarona a much easier time to sweep without interruption. Another solid partner is Keldeo, who can defeat Chansey and Blissey with Secret Sword, and Volcarona can beat bulky Grass-types that stop Keldeo from spamming its Water STAB. The two carry decent defensive synergy as well, with Keldeo resisting Rock and Water, while Volcarona resists Grass. A very common and reliable check to Volcarona is Talonflame, so Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar can force out and/or KO Talonflame, which allows Volcarona the ability to sweep againwithout interruption. Tyranitar can also Pursuit-trap Latios and Latias, which can check any Volcarona set lacking Bug Buzz.

Bulky Quiver Dance
########
name: Bulky Quiver Dance
move 2: Fire Blast / Fiery Dance
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
evs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Quiver Dance is your first and best choice for a boosting move, putting Volcarona at +1 Special Attack, +1 Special Defencse, and +1 Speed. This makes Volcarona a terrifying sweeper, and also one that is much more difficult to wear down, with the addition of the move Roost, which heals 50% of Volcarona's HP. This gives Volcarona much needed longevity, which in turn allows it to acquire much more boosts over the course of the match, eventually overwhelming the opponent. Fire Blast is Volcarona's strongest STAB move, and can pummel things with its sheer force. However, Volcarona's signature move Fiery Dance can be put to good use here, as every time it is used, there is a 50% chance of raising Volcarona's Special Attack by +1, making it become more powerful as it starts sweeping, at the cost of quite a bit of power. Giga Drain is absolutely mandatory, as otherwise Volcarona loses to any Rock-types or Water-types that it comes across, and it also restores its health to some degree.

Set Details
=======

248 HP investment is used in order to take hits better and allow 3 switch ins with SR on the field. 124 Speed EVs are used to outspeed neutral-natured Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl at +1, with the rest in Defencse. To further increase Volcarona's physical bulk, a Bold nature is used. Leftovers is used for slight recovery, while Lum Berry allows it to brush off status once.

Usage Tips
========

This set plays much different from the normal offensive set, as it lacks the immediate power even at +1, so the set must have its checks and counters defeated, or weakened to the point where Volcarona can handle them. This is because the set plays the role of a boosting sweeper, and most games as your win condition in most games, so it should be left in reserve until you can confidently send it out when the opponent has nothing that can threaten it, where it can boostuse Quiver Dance until it obtains enough boosts to sweep. Using Roost to mitigate Stealth Rock recoildamage is also an option, and is often needed to be used when a setup opportunity presents itself.

Team Options
========

As with all Volcarona sets, the first order of business is to have pokemon that can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Defoggers likesuch as Latios and Latias are great partners due to resisting Water, and being able to use Defog quickly due to their high speed. Keldeo and Landorus-I are once again amazing partners, due to their ability to defeat Chansey and put pressure on most special walls. Tyranitar and Rotom-W are also amazing teammates, both being able to manhandle most Talonflame. Tyranitar can also set Stealth Rock, which can wear down the opposing team, while Rotom-W can use Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers, which helps Volcarona take non-super effective hits much better as it sets up.

Other Options
#########

Volcarona has a fair few other options on its sets, such as Hidden Power Ice, which it can use to dispatch of Dragonite (after Stealth Rock),(remove parentheses, add comma) and Garchomp, two Pokemon who would otherwise be able to tank Volcarona's Fire STAB, and. Garchomp can also survive a Bug Buzz 31% of the time on the offensive set. Roost and Fiery Dance are both options for the Offensive set, as Fiery Dance can allow it to become progressively stronger as it sweeps while still doing damage, while Roost staves off LO recoil and can provide Volcarona with more longevity. A more gimmicky set with Rest+Chesto Berry could work, getting boosts in and then using Rest to cure any status or damage done. Finally, Hidden Power Rock is a great move to KO Mega Charizard X and Specially Defensive Mega Charizard Y, as well as hitting Talonflame on the switch.

Checks & Counters
#########

**Fire-Types**: Specially Defensive Fire Types, like Heatran, Charizard X, Charizard Y, and Talonflame can handle Offensive Volcarona to a good degree, and only fear a stray Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power GroundRock, and. Talonflame only fears thatHidden Power Rock on the switch, as Brave Bird makes it the best check to Volcarona, bypassinges any speed boosts,(add comma) making it the best check to Volcarona. Specially Defensive Fire-Types also completelyeasily beats the Bulky set, which would have to sacrifice a better move to lure and beat them.

**Bulky Special Walls**: Chansey and Blissey are great counters to Volcarona, being able to come in on it while boosted, and use Thunder-Wave or Toxic in order to cripple it,(remove comma) and prevent a sweep. They can also use Soft-Boiled to heal off any damage gained as welltaken.

**Rock Types**: While slightly more shaky than Fire-Types, faster Rock-Types like Mega-(remove hyphen)Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf-(replace hyphen with space)Terrakion can check both Volcarona sets, the former surviving a +1 LO boosted Giga Drain after SR, and. Tyranitar beats any set lacking Bug Buzz, making it an ideal check as well.

**Stealth Rock**: The hazard chips away half of Volcarona's health each time it switches in, making it a necessity to get on the field when Volcarona is on the opposing team.

**Water-Types**: Despite carrying Giga Drain, certain Water-Types can check it, likesuch as Assault Vest Azumarill and Gyarados, both of which can stomach a Giga Drain and KO with Waterfall. Greninja can also KO unboosted Volcarona with LO Hydro Pump as well. On the other hand, Scarf Keldeo and Choice Band Azumarill can both revenge kill a boosted Volcarona with Hydro Pump(maybe Keldeo's Scald can get a mention here) and Aqua Jet respectively, although majority of these checks lose to Offensive Volcarona sets which run Passho Berry.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I've got an amcheck here for you. :)

Overview
########
(add line break)
Volcarona is an interesting Pokemon. Withat has access to one of the best boosting moves in the game, Quiver Dance, it makes foring it a truly formidable sweeper. HavingWith good STABs, reliable recovery, and a fantastic boostingsetup move would seem to make, one might this thingnk Volcarona would be a common OU Pokemon. Sadly, Volcarona also has some crippling flaws that hold it back, such as a glaring 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, a case of 4MSSfour-moveslot syndrome, and low physical bulk. In addition, Volcarona matches up poorly against some of the most prominent OU playstyles in the current metagame, such as BirdSpam Flying-type spam and sand offense, both of which both can severely limit its effectiveness. However, with proper team support, Volcarona can easily break teams in two, and can also be used as a reliable win condition as well.

Offensive Quiver Dance
########

Moves
========
(add line break)
Volcarona was blessed with Quiver Dance, a move that boosts the user's Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed stats by +1one stage, making it an extremely potent sweeper, and alsos well makesing it trickier to revenge kill on thewith a special sidmove. Fire Blast is ridiculously powerful when backed up withby a Life Orb boost. It rips and tears at +1, breaking down and delivering a 2HKO to Pokemon like Sylveon, whispecially bulky Pokemon such is noted for its massive Special Defenseylveon. Giga Drain is almost necessary, providing a way for Volcarona to defeat bulky Water-types, and has the added bonus of being able to stave off Life Orb damage. In addition, it can KO Keldeo, Terrakion, Gyarados, and Manaphy after Stealth Rocks, which are massive threats that Volcarona wpould strugglotherwise to beat otherwise massive threats. Hidden Power Ground is used to KO Heatran and Mega Charizard X, two common Pokemon that resist its Fire/Grass coverage. However, STAB Bug Buzz is a viable option to KO Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias at +1, which could otherwise can tank wall Volcarona's other moves.

Set Details
=======
(add line break)
160 Speed EVs let Volcarona outspeed Mega Manectric and Choice Scarf Heatran at +1, and as well as Adamant Excadrill withoutside of sand up at +0. 252 Special Attack EVs with a Modest nature maximize Special Attack, andwhile 96 HP EVs give Volcarona an odd HP stat, which allowsgiving it 3 switch-ins to SR. Life Orb delivers a large boost to power. However, Lum Berry is a good alternative to prevent status, and Passho Berry allows Volcarona to setup in a pinch or avoid a revenge kill from the likes of Keldeo and Azumarill.

Usage Tips
========

Volcarona is countered and checked by commonly used Pokemon such as Heatran, meaning that Volcarona can be used to lure them in and KO them with a super effective Hidden Power. When of choice. If that is the case, Volcarona can be sent out earlier andto start setting up, which can lure the opponent into sending out their Volcarona check such as Charizard, for example, only to be defeated by a surprisinge Hidden Power Rock. That being said, when attempting to finish and clean the opposing team, Volcarona is ideally used late-game, when any checks or counters to it have been defeated or severely weakened, allowing ito to setup and mercilessly ravage through the team with no interruption. To make all of the above easier, keeping Stealth Rock off the field is imperative, as otherwise Volcarona will be crippled and be much easier to check, and often won't get as many setup opportunities to set up.

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is the first and foremost thing needed when using Volcarona, as being 4x SR weak to Stealth Rock almost oftenalways requires a hazard remover. Pokemon like Bsuch as bulky Starmie, Excadrill and Latias are good at this role, and get ridremove of hazards very efficiently. For offensive partners, pPhysical wallbreakers liksuch as Choice CBand Terrakion can regain momentum and force out Volcarona's checks and counters, while being able to demolish anything that stands in its way. Pokemon that also lure in and beat Volcarona's counters, such as Knock Off Lando-Irus, are fantastic partners, weakening them and allowing Volcarona a much easier time to sweeping without interruption. Another solid partner is Keldeo, whoich can defeat Chansey and Blissey with Secret Sword, and Volcarona can beat bulky Grass-types that stop Keldeo from spamming its Water-type STAB. The two carry decent defensive synergy as well, with Keldeo resisting Rock and Water, while Volcarona resists Grass. A very common and reliable check to Volcarona is Talonflame, so Pokemon that can force out or KO Talonflame such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar canmake force out or KO Talonflame, which allows good partners, aiding Volcarona to sweep without interruption. Tyranitar can also Pursuit- trap Latios and Latias, which can check any Volcarona set lacking Bug Buzz.

Bulky Quiver Dance
########

Moves
========
(add line break)
Quiver Dance is your first and best choice for a boostingset up move, putboosting Volcarona at +1's Special Attack, +1 Special Defense, and +1 Speed stats by one stage each. This makes Volcarona a terrifying sweeper, and also one that is much more difficult to wear down, with the addition of the move Roost, which heals 50% of Volcarona's HP. This gives Volcarona with much -needed longevity, which in turn allows it to acquire muchany more boosts over the course of the match, eventually overwhelming the opponent. Fire Blast is Volcarona's strongest STAB move, and can pummel things with its sheer forcepower. However, Volcarona's signature moveFiery Dancecan be put to good use here, as every time it inflicts usedamage, there is a 50% chance of raising Volcarona's Special Attack by +1one stage, making it become more powerful as it starts sweeping, at the cost of quite a bit of power. Giga Drain is absolutely mandatory, as otherwise, Volcarona loses to any Rock-types or Water-types that it comes across, and it alswhile also being able to restores its health to some degree.

Set Details
=======
(add line break)
248 HP investment isEVs are used in order to take hits better and allow 3 switch ins with Stealth Rock on the field. 124 Speed EVs are used to outspeed neutral-natured Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl at +1, with the rest of the EVs put into Defense. To further increase Volcarona's physical bulk, a Bold nature is used. Leftovers is used for slight recovery, whilereas Lum Berry allowoffers it to brush offa one-time cure for status once.

Usage Tips
========
(add line break)
This Volcarona set plays much differently from the normalstandard offensive set, as it lacks the immediate power even at +1, so the seit must have its checks and counters defeated, or weakened to the point where Volcaronait can handle them. This is because the set plays the roles of both a boosting sweeper, and as your win condition in most games, so it should be left in reserve until you can confidently send it out when the opponent has nothing that can threaten it, where it can use Quiver Dance until it obtains enough boosts to sweep. Using Roost to mitigate Stealth Rock damage is also an option, and is often needed to be used when a setupn opportunity to set up presents itself.

Team Options
========

As with all Volcarona sets, the first order of business is to have Pokemon that can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Defoggers such as Latios and Latias are great partners due to resisting Water, and being able to use Defog quickly duethanks to their high sSpeed stats. Keldeo and Landorus-I are once again amazing partners, due to their ability to defeat Chansey and put pressure on most special walls. Tyranitar and Rotom-W are also amazing teammates, both being able to manhandle most Talonflame sets. Tyranitar can also set up Stealth Rock, which can wear down the opposing team, whilereas Rotom-W can use Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers, which helpsing Volcarona take neutral on-super effectiveresisted hits much better as it sets up.

Other Options
#########
(add line break)
Volcarona has a fair few other options on its sets, such as Hidden Power Ice, which it can use to dispatch of Dragonite after Stealth Rock, damage and Garchomp, two Pokemon who would otherwise be able to tank Volcarona's Fire STAB, andwith Garchomp calso being alsble to survive a Bug Buzz 31% of the time onfrom the offensive set 31% of the time. Roost and Fiery Dance are both options for the Ooffensive set, as Fiery Dance can allow it to become progressively stronger as it sweeps while still doing damage, whilereas Roost staves off Life Orb recoil and can provide Volcarona with more longevity. A more gimmicky set with Rest + Chesto Berry could work, getting boosts in and then using Rest to cure any status orand damage done. Finally, Hidden Power Rock is a great move to KO Mega Charizard X and Sspecially Ddefensive Mega Charizard Y, as well as hitting Talonflame on the switch in.

Checks & Counters
#########

**Fire-Ttypes**: Specially Ddefensive Fire T-types, likesuch as Heatran, Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame can handle Offensive Volcarona to a good degree, and only fear a stray Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power Rock. Talonflame only fears Hidden Power Rock on the switch, in as Brave Bird bypassecomes a priority move. which outprioritizes any sVolcarona's Speed boosts, with Gale Wings, making it the best check to Volcarona. Specially Ddefensive Fire-Ttypes also easily beat the Bbulky set, which would have to sacrifice a better move to be able to lure and beat them.

**Bulky Special Walls**: Chansey and Blissey are great counters to Volcarona, being able to come in on it while boosted hits, and use Thunder- Wave or Toxic in order to cripple it and prevent a sweep. They can also use Soft-Boiled to heal off any damage taken.

**Rock T-types**: While slightly more shaky than Fire-Ttypes, faster Rock-Ttypes likesuch as Mega Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Terrakion can check both Volcarona sets, with the former being able to surviving a +1 LO boostedife Orb Giga Drain after SR, andtealth Rock damage. Tyranitar beats any set lacking Bug Buzz, making it an ideal check as well.

**Stealth Rock**: The hazardStealh Rock chips away half of Volcarona's health each time it switches in, making it a necesspriority to gset on the field whenup Volcarona is on the opposing team.

**Water-Ttypes**: Despite it carrying Giga Drain, certain Water-Ttypes can check itVolcarona, such as Assault Vest Azumarill and defensive Gyarados, both of which can stomach a Giga Drain and KO with Waterfall. Greninja can also KO unboosted Volcarona with Life Orb Hydro Pump as well. On the other hand, Choice Scarf Keldeo and Choice Band Azumarill can both revenge kill a boosted Volcarona with Hydro Pump and Aqua Jet respectively. However, althoughe majority of these checks lose to Ooffensive Volcarona sets whichthat run Passho Berry.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments)
Overview
########

Volcarona is an interesting Pokemon that has access to one of the best boosting moves in the game, Quiver Dance, making it a truly formidable sweeper. With good STABs, reliable recovery, and a fantastic setup move, one might think Volcarona would be a common OU Pokemon. Sadly, Volcarona has some crippling flaws that hold it back, such as a glaring 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, a case of four-moveslot syndrome, and low physical bulk. In addition, Volcarona matches up poorly against some of the most prominent OU playstyles in the current metagame, such as Flying-type and sand offense, both of which can severely limit its effectiveness. However, with proper team support, Volcarona can easily break teams in two, and can also be used as a reliable win condition.

Offensive Quiver Dance
########

Moves
========

Volcarona was blessed with Quiver Dance, a move that boosts the user's Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed stats by one stage, making it an extremely potent sweeper, as well as making it trickier to revenge kill with a special move. Fire Blast is ridiculously powerful backed up by a Life Orb boost. It rips and tears at +1, breaking down and delivering a 2HKO to specially bulky Pokemon such as Sylveon. Giga Drain is almost necessary, providing a way for Volcarona to defeat bulky Water-types, and has the added bonus of being able to stave off mitigate (stave off=prevent from happening, according to two dictionaries; Volc still takes the recoil so that doesn't quite apply here) Life Orb damage. In addition, it can KO Keldeo, Terrakion, Gyarados, and Manaphy after Stealth Rocks Rock, which would otherwise be massive threats. Hidden Power Ground is used to KO Heatran and Mega Charizard X, two common Pokemon that resist its Fire/Grass coverage. However, STAB Bug Buzz is a viable option to KO Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias at +1, which could otherwise wall Volcarona.

Set Details
=======

160 Speed EVs let Volcarona outspeed Mega Manectric and Choice Scarf Heatran at +1 after a boost as well as Adamant Excadrill outside of sand at +0 before. 252 Special Attack EVs with a Modest nature maximize Special Attack, while 96 HP EVs give Volcarona an odd HP stat, giving it 3 three switch-ins to Stealth Rock. Life Orb delivers a large boost to power. However, Lum Berry is a good alternative to prevent status, and Passho Berry allows Volcarona to set up (two words) in a pinch or avoid a revenge kill from the likes of Keldeo and Azumarill. Alternatively, Life Orb delivers a large boost to power, while Lum Berry is a good alternative to prevent status. (order didn't reflect slashing)

Usage Tips
========
(The Hidden Power-related part should be moved to the back of this section because it makes more sense to start off with the general usage tips; any changes in transitional words have been made in order to account for this)
Additionally, Volcarona is countered and checked by commonly used Pokemon such as Heatran, meaning that Volcarona can be used to lure them in and KO them with a super effective Hidden Power of choice. If that is the case such a Pokemon is on the opposing team, (clarification) Volcarona can be sent out earlier to start setting up, which can lure the opponent into sending out their Volcarona check such as Charizard, for example, only to be defeated by a surprise Hidden Power Rock. (I really don't like the Charizard example because HP Rock isn't included on the set.) That being said, When attempting to finish and clean the opposing team, Volcarona is ideally used late-game, when any checks or counters to it have been defeated or severely weakened, allowing it to set up (two words) and mercilessly ravage rampage (or just 'ravage' without a preposition, your call.) through the opposing team with no interruption. To make all of the above this easier, keeping Stealth Rock off the field is imperative, as otherwise Volcarona will be crippled and much easier to check, (RC) and often won't get as many opportunities to set up. (two words)

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is the first thing needed when using Volcarona, as being 4x weak to Stealth Rock almost always requires a hazard remover. Pokemon such as bulky Starmie, Excadrill, (AC) and Latias are good at this role, (RC) and remove hazards very efficiently. Physical wallbreakers like such as Choice Band Terrakion can regain momentum and force out Volcarona's checks and counters, while being able to demolish anything that stands in its (you mean Volcarona's, right? If you mean the wallbreakers', change it to 'their') way. Pokemon that also can lure in and beat Volcarona's counters such as Knock Off Landorus are fantastic partners, weakening them and allowing Volcarona a much easier time sweeping without interruption. Another solid partner is Keldeo, which can defeat Chansey and Blissey with Secret Sword, and while Volcarona can beat bulky Grass-types that stop Keldeo from spamming its Water STAB moves. The two carry decent defensive synergy as well, with Keldeo resisting Rock and Water, while and Volcarona resists resisting (wording consistency) Grass. A very common and reliable check to Volcarona is Talonflame, so Pokemon that can force out or KO it such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar make good partners, aiding Volcarona to sweep without interruption. Tyranitar can also Pursuit trap Latios and Latias, which can check any Volcarona set lacking Bug Buzz.

Bulky Quiver Dance
########

Moves
========

Quiver Dance is your first and best choice for a setup (one word) move, boosting Volcarona's Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed stats by one stage each. This makes Volcarona a terrifying sweeper, and while one that is much more difficult to wear down with the addition of the move Roost makes it much more difficult to wear down, which heals 50% of Volcarona's HP. This gives Volcarona much-needed longevity, which in turn allows it to acquire many more boosts over the course of the match, eventually overwhelming the opponent. Fire Blast is Volcarona's strongest STAB move, and can pummeling things with its sheer power. However, Volcarona's signature moveFiery Dancecan be put to good use here, as every time it inflicts damage, there is a 50% chance of raising Volcarona's Special Attack by one stage, making it become more powerful as it starts sweeping, at the cost of quite a bit of power. Giga Drain is absolutely mandator mandatory, as otherwise, Volcarona loses to any Rock- (add hyphen) or Water-types that it comes across; (SC) while also being able it also allows Volcarona to restore its health to some degree.

Set Details
=======

248 HP EVs are used in order to take hits better and allow 3 three switch-ins (add hyphen) with Stealth Rock on the field. 124 Speed EVs are used to outspeed neutral-natured Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl at +1, with the rest of the EVs are put into Defense. To further increase Volcarona's physical bulk, a Bold nature is used. Leftovers is used for slight recovery, wheras whereas Lum Berry offers it Volcarona a one-time cure for status.

Usage Tips
========

This set Volcarona set plays much differently from the standard more offensive sets, (no cross-set referencing) as it lacks immediate power - even at +1 - even after a boost; so as such, it must have its checks and counters defeated, (RC) or weakened to the point where it can handle them. This is because the set plays the roles of both a boosting sweeper and as your win condition in most games, so it should be left in reserve until you can confidently send it out when (kinda redundant with following) the opponent has nothing that can threaten it, where (RC too) and it can use Quiver Dance until it obtains enough boosts to sweep. Using Roost to mitigate Stealth Rock damage is also an option, (RC) and is often needed to be used when an opportunity to set up presents itself.

Team Options
========

As with all Volcarona sets, the first order of business is to have Pokemon that can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Defoggers such as Latios and Latias are great partners due to resisting Water, (RC) and being able to use Defog quickly thanks to their high Speed stats. Keldeo and Landorus are once again amazing partners, due to their ability to defeat Chansey and put pressure on most special walls. Tyranitar and Rotom-W are also amazing teammates, being able to handle most Talonflame sets. Tyranitar can also set up Stealth Rock, which can wear down the opposing team, whereas Rotom-W can use Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers, helping Volcarona take neutral or resisted hits much better as it sets up.

Other Options
#########

Volcarona has a few other options, such as Hidden Power Ice, which it can use to dispatch of Dragonite after Stealth Rock damage and Garchomp, two Pokemon who that would otherwise be able to tank Volcarona's Fire STAB moves, with Garchomp also being able standing a decent chance to survive Bug Buzz from the offensive set 31% of the time (quasi-random percentages are really icky and not that necessary). Roost and Fiery Dance are both options for the offensive set, as Fiery Dance can allow it Volcarona to become progressively stronger as it sweeps while still doing damage, whereas Roost staves off mitigates Life Orb recoil and can provide Volcarona with more longevity. A more gimmicky set with Rest+Chesto Berry could work, getting boosts in and then using Rest to cure any status and damage done. Finally, Hidden Power Rock is a great move to KO Mega Charizard X and specially defensive Mega Charizard Y, as well as hitting Talonflame on the switch in.

Checks & Counters
#########

**Fire-types**: Specially defensive Fire-types, such as Heatran, Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, (AC) can handle offensive Volcarona to a good degree, and only fearing a stray Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power Rock. Talonflame is the best check, as Gale Wings allows Brave Bird to ignore Volcarona's Speed boosts; it only fears Hidden Power Rock on the switch in as Brave Bird becomes a priority moves, which outprioritizes Volcarona's speed boosts, with Gale Wings, making it the best check to Volcarona. Specially defensive Fire-types also easily beat the bulky set, which would have to sacrifice a better move to be able to lure and beat them.

**Bulky Special Walls**: Chansey and Blissey are great counters to Volcarona, being able to come in on boosted hits, (RC) and use Thunder Wave or Toxic in order to cripple it and prevent a sweep. They can also use Soft-Boiled to heal off any damage taken.

**Rock-types**: While slightly more shaky than Fire-types, faster Rock-types like such as Mega Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Terrakion can check both Volcarona sets, with the former being able to survive a +1 Life Orb-boosted (add hyphen) Giga Drain after Stealth Rock. Tyranitar beats any set lacking Bug Buzz, making it an ideal check as well.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock chips away half of Volcarona's health each time it switches in, making it a priority to set it up when Volcarona is on the opposing team.

**Water-types**: Despite it carrying Giga Drain, certain Water-types can check Volcarona, such as Assault Vest Azumarill and defensive Gyarados, both of which can stomach a Giga Drain and KO with Waterfall. Greninja can also KO an unboosted Volcarona with Life Orb Hydro Pump. On the other hand, Choice Scarf Keldeo and Choice Band Azumarill can both revenge kill a boosted Volcarona with Hydro Pump and Aqua Jet, (AC) respectively. However, the majority of these checks lose to offensive Volcarona sets that run Passho Berry.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)