Volt-Turn's Return

Volt-Turn's Return

A BW2 OU hyper offensive momentum team by Eclypse

-------------------------------------

At A Glance:

Introduction
Greetings, Smogon. This is a team I built because, while Rotom-W and Genesect are a dominant core right now, the concept of VoltTurn as an entire team strategy is virtually unseen. Honestly, I just wanted to prove hazard damage in tandem with VoltTurning is still viable in this metagame and can be rewarding with team building that properly addresses the macabre offensive presence (while still breaking down more defensive threats as well) in this metagame. While I have laddered to the top of Showdown many times with other teams, I tested this team on Pokemon Online and so far have peaked at 1455, but I doubt that is the terminal score of this team, as it has fared well against even top ranked players on the leader board. The most fun team I have ever built in Gen. V and I believe it will remain in my team folder for some time (even if Genesect is to be replaced in the near future) as it matches against most of the BW2 metagame quite nicely.

Team Building Process

I began with sand because it is crucial to stop opposing weather in this metagame - particularly opposing rain.

Tyranitar leads the offensive brigade with his ability to summon a sand storm.

Jirachi was initially added for its ability to outspeed lead Genesect and threaten it out with Fire Punch

Rotom-W joined the team next to better handle rain teams and is the “Volt” user of my team's soubriquet.

Scizor was a natural addition to the team for its ability to complement Rotom-W and add priority in the form of Bullet Punch to the repertoire - a must on any offensive momentum team to pick off weakened enemy team members.

Landorus found his way on the team for a few reasons. Everyone expects the special set, and when the opponent sees me U-Turn out, the opponent believes him scarfed, which is a perfect bluff for me, as it has possibly snagged the most surprise kills on the team.

Starmie briefly fought on the motley crue to spin away hazards and ran HP[Fire] to exterminate Genesect.

Speaking of Genesect, Jirachi was removed for the superior momentum-gaining pivot monarch himself. Jirachi required significant attack investment to dent Genesect and more or less acted as a one-trick pony on the team.

Additionally, after some testing, Starmie proved inferior to Latias. The Artemian archetypal dragon provides a much more succinct response to Rotom-W, Scizor, non-scarfed Genesect and even the scarfed variants on the switch.

A Closer Look

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 148 SDef / 48 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

A rather unexpected set, Tyranitar serves many purposes on this team. He commands the weather - providing residual damage on other teams’ members, powering up Landorus to his full attacking potential, and deviously creating imbroglio against offensive rain and sun teams; he sets up entry hazards reliably; with the Chople Berry in tandem with Pursuit, Crunch, and Fire Blast, he terminates Lati@s, Gengar, Alakazam, Reuniclus, Skarmory, Scizor, and even those pesky Genesects attempting to come in on the switch. The Careful nature, HP and Sp. Def. EVs maximize special bulk, while the 48 Speed is enough outspeed common Scizor (which is OHKOed even despite the -SAtk Nature). The 64 Attack EVs add more power to Pursuit-trapping bulkier threats like defensive Latias.

Landorus @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Expert Belt Landorus, oh how the mighty have fallen... in usage. Landorus’s use as of recent is criminally low. An aggregate of all Landorus sets combined doesn’t even muster 6% the past month. Add to that the fact that the physical set has been almost universally discarded for the Sheer Force set and we have ourselves a double-bluff Pokemon. Threatening to Sub or Rock Polish on the switch and then bluffing the Choice Scarf after revealing that the set is physical is a crucial aspect of Landorus’s play. Denting switch-ins with STAB Sand Force-boosted Earthquakes or simply U-turning out, Landorus is one of my favorite scouts and demanded a spot on the team. HP[Ice] removes opposing Landorus and Stone Edge provides nearly perfect physical coverage. He may even pick off another Pokemon after it seems he has “locked” himself into a certain move.

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

This used to be the typical bulky Rotom-W, but then I saw this modernized set used by Princess Bri. And my goodness. There are times under opposing rain that Rotom-W can spam Hydro Pump to punish switch-ins expecting Volt Switch; it denies Tornadus-T the Hurricane-spams he desires; it takes status and Rests it off; and, it may very well bluff a choice item early game before the entire set is revealed. All EVs are invested in Special bulk, except for the 28 Special Attack necessary to remove 252 HP EV Gliscor and 4 Speed to outpace opposing Rotom-W.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

The ubiquitous choice scarfer. Practically the definition of the current metagame. If you aren’t using one, you probably don’t stand a chance right now. To the fortune and dismay of many battlers, there is practically no reason not to run a Genesect on your team. It keeps momentum with download-boosted STAB U-Turns and covers a variety of threats with its remaining moves. Dragonite got a free DD? Well, fortunately you outspeed and have Ice Beam. +1 Gyarados subbed down on your Rotom-W’s Volt Switch? Well, you still outspeed and have Thunderbolt. Want to risk the speed tie against opposing Genesect? Go right ahead and click Flamethrower. A simple answer to Reuniclus (with U-turing pressure from Scizor and trapping pressure from Tyranitar), +1 DD users, Ferrothorn, all variants of Scizor (including the abhorred SD set), Politoed, and Breloom.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Quick Attack

Choice Banded Scizor completes the momentum core with the set that made him infamous. U-turn razes switch-ins while providing me with the switch advantage. Bullet Punch kills off weakened threats and faster attackers on the other team. Superpower annihilates Tyranitar, Heatran, and Ferrothorn. Quick Attack provides secondary priority and can damage Gyarados and others who resist steel, and is used in favor of Pursuit for two reasons: Tyranitar does that job much better and this is a team that places momentum at the pinnacle priority. If I Pursuit-trap a Gengar, then I provide a free turn of set up for the opponent’s DD Dragonite or RP Genesect. Sure, I net a KO, but at the opportunity cost of one valuable turn; not only would I lose all offensive momentum, it would prove difficult to win back the momentum or even the match itself.

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Latias, you just might be my new favorite Pokemon. Seriously. Bulkier than her brother, but not to be offensively underestimated Latias ties together the aggressive presence of the team. Soaring at a 110 Base Speed, Latias is able to outspeed and KO many threats that resist my VoltTurn stratagem. Patching up otherwise indelible weaknesses to Terrakion, Keldeo, and other Fighting-types, Latias shrugs off their attacks and KOs with Psyshock. Also able to outspeed and KO opposing team dragons, and sear any non-scarfed Steel-type named Genesect, Latias is the jill-of-all-trades on this team. 2HKOing and outspeeding a plethora of switch-ins, Latias rips holes through standard offensive teams and forces switches on those of the more balanced or defensive variety. Plus, if it doesn’t sacrifice too much pressure, Latias can easily Recover back its HP to retain durability. Another criminally underused and underprepared for Pokemon in this metagame.

Conclusion
Anyway, there is the team. I spent a considerable amount of time attempting to make the layout of this RMT look as not-repulsive as possible and tried to keep the descriptions informative and entertaining. Please voice your critiques and suggestions, ask any questions you have, or enjoy the team for yourself. Thank you for reading and have fun battling if you choose to import this team for your own use.

Also, if you liked this team or decided to try it out for yourself, don't forget to leave a Luvdisc for others to see as well! :)

Importable
Tyranitar (F) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 148 SDef / 48 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

Landorus (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Quick Attack

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Hey man nice Volt Turn team you have here. You are correct that the strategy of Volt Turn seems not as popular as it used to be :(

Looking at your team i see a weakness to Volcarona. Volcarona can set up a Quiver Dance on Latias and Genesect as well as Scizor locked into Bullet Punch, and can hit every single one of your team members super effectively with Fire Blast/Giga Drain/Bug Buzz with the exception of Landorus. However Landorus won't appreciate taking a +1 Fire Blast from Volcarona especially with a -Sp Def nature. Choice Scarf Salamence also seems a bit problemantal for your team. A lot of Salamence have started to run a Naive nature to outspeed Genesect and Ko with Fire Blast. Even the non Naive varaints still stop Genesect from switching in safely with Fire Blast. Tyranitar is also unsafe because most Choice Scarf Salamence carry either Brick Break or Earthqauke. After your team is weakend Salamence can sweep late game with its powerful Outrages.

To help remedy your problem with these two threats i suggest using a Choice Scarf>Expert Belt on Landorus. With a Choice Scarf Landorus can outspeed +1 Salamence and Volcarona and ohko them with Hidden Power [Ice] and Stone Edge respectively. You can also outspeed +1 Genesect and beat them with Earthqauke if they are weakend. Although this change gives you two Choice Scarf users Landorus helps you a lot against the affromentioned threats and having another fast U-turner on your team is always welcome on Volt Turn teams. With this change your team is quite fast having two Choice Scarf users, Latias and priority on Scizor so the Thunderwave support from Rotom-W isn't really needed to much. Will-o-Wisp>Thunderwave provides a great option to cripple any physical attacker in OU not named Conkeldurr.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped! Luvdisc'd

Tl;dr
Landorus
.Choice Scarf--->Expert Belt

Rotom-W
.Will-o-Wisp--->Thunderwave

~Superpowerdude

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I suggest running CB Terrakion over CB Scizor so you have a better check to Gene (since it kinda hurts you) and so you don't lack that necessary fighting typing for OU. TWave over WoW on Rotom-W since Scarf Gene isn't that fast, and getting the twave on Lati@s is really nice for this team, as you don't have pursuit on scizor... GL

Edit: lol realized you're volca weak too, CB Terrak seems more and more like a good idea (hell, even CS is a good set too, I suggested CB to replace wallbreaking Sciz provides, but CS works nicely too. Depends on you, personally would go with CS).

Good luck with the team i hope i helped! Luvdisc'd

Tl;dr
Landorus
.Choice Scarf--->Expert Belt

Rotom-W
.Will-o-Wisp--->Thunderwave

~Superpowerdude
I suggest running CB Terrakion over CB Scizor so you have a better check to Gene (since it kinda hurts you) and so you don't lack that necessary fighting typing for OU. TWave over WoW on Rotom-W since Scarf Gene isn't that fast, and getting the twave on Lati@s is really nice for this team, as you don't have pursuit on scizor... GL

Edit: lol realized you're volca weak too, CB Terrak seems more and more like a good idea (hell, even CS is a good set too, I suggested CB to replace wallbreaking Sciz provides, but CS works nicely too. Depends on you, personally would go with CS).
Thank you for the rates so far!

@Superpowerdude: Thank you for the Luvdisc! I am seriously considering running the Choice Scarf on Landorus, particularly due to my weakness against other scarfers.

@Shurtrugal, though I definitely love using CB Terrakion on my teams, as this is a Volt-Turn team, it isn't really in the spirit of momentum to replace Scizor with Terrakion. Thank you for the advice on Thunder Wave over Will-O-Wisp, however. After testing, I prefer TWave for its ability to cripple opposing scarfers.

In addition to general critiques, a specific member I have considered replacing is Tyranitar, because he often seems to kill momentum if he sets up rocks or KOs an opponent's Pokemon. Though I lose out on weather and trapping potential, would something like Kaboom Mew or Deoxys-D be better suited for this team?

Good team, but you have problems, Volcarona/Sun teams destroys you. Lando Scarf is a great option. Expert Belt Genesect is an amazing surprise sweeper, Ttar Stone Edge/Super Power/SR/Crunch.

Good team, but you have problems, Volcarona/Sun teams destroys you. Lando Scarf is a great option. Expert Belt Genesect is an amazing surprise sweeper, Ttar Stone Edge/Super Power/SR/Crunch.
Haha I assure you, Sun doesn't destroy it or else the team wouldn't have done as well as it has. I will concede that the uncommon Quiver Dance + 3 Attacks Volcorona - though rare - could pose a threat. I am currently testing Scarfed Landorus for that reason and the others discussed above. After that, I can determine if Genesect needs to change roles.

Volcarona with giga drain, fire Blast, Bug Buzz is nightmarish for your team! To render this immediate issue id run scarf > eBelt on your lando. This will allow for you to Be aBle to stop a + 1 volcarona.

With one scarfer allready this gives you two now. So. Go for either eBelt or focus sash. Both have pros and cons. Ill leave the recomended sets for Both Below.

Im going to agree with SuperPowerDude (cos hes awesome) that Wisp > Thunder wave is necesary. This lets your rotom counter all physical attackers whilst the Twave is more situational in that it doesnt hurt all teams.

The Sets
Genesect @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Rock Polish
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

or

Genesect @ Focus Sash
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SpDef)
- U-Turn
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

I prefere the latter of the two
you could run Life orB over the item on either of the sets

Gl with the team

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I would try lead Aerodactyl if you're having problems with TTar. The thing with Aero is that you don't have a Pokemon weak to TTar (who fucks Mew and Deo-D, and oppsing TTar, plus you've got Latias to think about), and it can also surprise Fire Blast Genesect who Ice Beam. Scarf Lando seems like a good idea if you're not considering Scarf Terrak, since it helps with you're speed tier much. Also, roost is much cooler than recover XD

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe

~ Stealth Rock
~ Taunt
~ Earthquake / Rock Slide
~ Fire Blast

EDIT: Also, for Genesect, you could just use Choice Specs (which maintains U-turn + wallbreaks alongside Scizor) or RP LO (which threatens much more and can act like mid-game sweeper). I suggest trying both, although I would lean towards RP LO. You have 4 Volt-Turn, losing one won't harm the theme as much as you think.

EDIT2: @ RAYZORS: TWave, however situation, is meant to help deal with threats. How often does Rotom-W ever use HP Grass? Yet, if I'm Gastro weak, I guarantee you I'll use it. For TWave, it can cripple Volca who try to set up on Rotom-W. It's meant to check omnipresent threats, which is why it's superior to WoW, which even though crippling is nice, he doesn't have any set up sweepers that benefit from it.

Volcarona with giga drain, fire Blast, Bug Buzz is nightmarish for your team! To render this immediate issue id run scarf > eBelt on your lando. This will allow for you to Be aBle to stop a + 1 volcarona.

The Sets
Genesect @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Rock Polish
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

or

Genesect @ Focus Sash
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SpDef)
- U-Turn
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

I prefere the latter of the two
you could run Life orB over the item on either of the sets

Gl with the team
I would try lead Aerodactyl if you're having problems with TTar. The thing with Aero is that you don't have a Pokemon weak to TTar (who fucks Mew and Deo-D, and oppsing TTar, plus you've got Latias to think about), and it can also surprise Fire Blast Genesect who Ice Beam. Scarf Lando seems like a good idea if you're not considering Scarf Terrak, since it helps with you're speed tier much. Also, roost is much cooler than recover XD

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe

~ Stealth Rock
~ Taunt
~ Earthquake / Rock Slide
~ Fire Blast

EDIT: Also, for Genesect, you could just use Choice Specs (which maintains U-turn + wallbreaks alongside Scizor) or RP LO (which threatens much more and can act like mid-game sweeper). I suggest trying both, although I would lean towards RP LO. You have 4 Volt-Turn, losing one won't harm the theme as much as you think.
@EnterRAYZORS Thank you for the rate! It seems as though Landorus indeed needs to be Scarfed, so thanks for the advice. Also, I will run the RP set along side it.

@Shurtugal Thank you for the Aerodactyl set, and it amuses me that it shuts down opposing hazard-setters. :) I still don't know how I feel about losing to opposing weather just yet, but I will keep this in mind, as I like that the opponent can't reliably get up hazards. And thanks to you and RAYZORS, I will be examining the Rock Polish Genesect set as it does still seem to work with the aggressive nature of the team. :)

@EnterRAYZORS Thank you for the rate! It seems as though Landorus indeed needs to be Scarfed, so thanks for the advice. Also, I will run the RP set along side it.

@Shurtugal Thank you for the Aerodactyl set, and it amuses me that it shuts down opposing hazard-setters. :) I still don't know how I feel about losing to opposing weather just yet, but I will keep this in mind, as I like that the opponent can't reliably get up hazards. And thanks to you and RAYZORS, I will be examining the Rock Polish Genesect set as it does still seem to work with the aggressive nature of the team. :)
Glad to help:) let us know how it goes:)

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey. Got your request. It always makes me smile when I see a VoltTurning team being posted on the forum, so thanks for that. I also love the vocabulary you've used in your RMT; it's not every day that the word "imbroglio" appears in a piece of literature, much less an RMT. Now, onto the substance of my rate. As many of my fellow raters have stated, offensive variants of Volcarona appear to be a problem for your team to face, since they threaten with powerful neutral coverage and don't exactly care about Genesect, which appears to be your main Scarfer. To alleviate that problem, I'd recommend going with Superpowerdude's suggestion of Scarf Landorus over your current set. Making this change allows you to revenge kill Volcarona, Salamence, Gyarados, Therian Tornadus, and Dragonite, all of which can pose incredible problems for the rest of your team. Also, you posed the question of replacing Tyranitar as a Stealth Rock inducer in the comments above my rate. While Normal Gem Mew and Deoxys-D are very cool, I'd ultimately go with the Lead Aerodactyl proposed by Shurtugal, sans Fire Blast, which a Hasty or Timid Genesect has an 87.5% chance of living through outside of the rain.

Now, to examine and make some minor nitpicks. If you do choose to run Scarf Landorus, I'd recommend trying out Expert Belt Genesect, which really benefits from the paralysis support your Rotom-W offers to the rest of your team. Alternatively, if you are looking for a late-game sweeper, then go with the Rock Polish Genesect suggested by many other raters before me. Also, I'd encourage you to keep Thunder Wave over Will-O-Wisp on Rotom-W. Paralysis helps your team immensely, and you're not as vulnerable to physical attackers as some may think. A summarized list of changes can be found below.

Sets:
Mixed

Genesect @ Expert Belt | Download
Hasty | 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
U-turn | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam | Flamethrower

Rock Polish

Genesect @ Life Orb | Download
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | 0 Atk
Rock Polish | Giga Drain | Ice Beam | Bug Buzz

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash | Pressure
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Stealth Rock | Taunt | Rock Slide | Earthquake

Nitpicks:
---->

Expert Belt ----> Choice Scarf

Choice Scarf ----> Life Orb (if going with RP) or Expert Belt (if going with Mixed)

I don't have much else to say, so good luck with your team! Also, before I forget...*clicks Luvdisc*

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Oh God I forgot to give you special attack evs on Aerodactyl! My friend and I actually put enough to always OHKO, since I found it so useful. I was lazy and forgot that it needed the evs so I apologize. If you want to use Aero with Fire Blast, put 160 Atk / 164 SAtk / 144 Spd with Hasty nature. To be honest, you won't miss the attack investment since Aero doesn't really hurt much anyway (it's suicide lead; what do you expect?) but it's well worth the loss for blasting the most common lead in OU.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 160 Atk / 164 SAtk / 144 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

If I Pursuit-trap a Gengar, then I provide a free turn of set up for the opponent’s DD Dragonite or RP Genesect. Sure, I net a KO, but at the opportunity cost of one valuable turn; not only would I lose all offensive momentum, it would prove difficult to win back the momentum or even the match itself.
You could just as easily revenge-kill the Gyarados you mentioned with Quick Attack and give the opponent's Double Dance Terrakion or SD Scizor a free turn of set-up. I see what you're getting at, but being locked on Quick Attack - or any move, for that matter - can be just as bad as Pursuit...so pick your poison. It just comes down to the situation you're in at that time and how you play it out.

Anyway the team looks solid. I see you're considering Scarf Landorus. This goes without saying, but just be wary of how many Choice item users you have. It's not exactly hard for a decent player to predict around you when half your team is Choice-locked.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sun with Volc is definitely a problem to your team and I think the simplest fix is to make your Landorus Scarfed and Genesect E-Belt. Additionally, you should give Landorus 4 SpA EVs just to make HP ice stronger regardless if you change it the item. Genesect with Giga drain is a bit better on your team as it gives you great answer to gastrodon, which ould be problematic to your team. As well as handle Terrakion, and politoed a lot better. Scarf Politoed's surf will not ohko you and you can get all your hp back with giga drain.

Nitpicks:
---->

Expert Belt ----> Choice Scarf

Choice Scarf ----> Life Orb (if going with RP) or Expert Belt (if going with Mixed)

I don't have much else to say, so good luck with your team! Also, before I forget...*clicks Luvdisc*
I am elated to hear that you appreciate the word choices in my RMT and found the strategy smile-worthy. Thank you for the Luvdisc! :)

This goes without saying, but just be wary of how many Choice item users you have. It's not exactly hard for a decent player to predict around you when half your team is Choice-locked.
Thank you for the word of caution. I have addressed this in the updated team.

Sun with Volc is definitely a problem to your team and I think the simplest fix is to make your Landorus Scarfed and Genesect E-Belt. Additionally, you should give Landorus 4 SpA EVs just to make HP ice stronger regardless if you change it the item. Genesect with Giga drain is a bit better on your team as it gives you great answer to gastrodon, which ould be problematic to your team. As well as handle Terrakion, and politoed a lot better. Scarf Politoed's surf will not ohko you and you can get all your hp back with giga drain.
Chimpakt, thank you very much for the rate! Giga Drain replaced Thunderbolt after I made those changes, so thanks for reinforcing the above advice. After more testing, Rock Polish Expert Belt Genesect has proven to be much more beneficial for the team. It has even pulled a few clean sweeps in my test battles. Despite Landorus feeling a bit "restricted," so to speak, with the Choice Scarf on, he fills the role of patching up Volcarona and Dragon Dancer weaknesses nicely.

After making the above changes, the momentum of this team on the PO ladder hasn't stopped! With the changes you all suggested - plus some of my own - Volt-Turn's Return has hit 1455 on the PO server, above and beyond what I had expected for a Volt-Turn team in the BW2 metagame.

I will update the sets and descriptions to the team and elaborate on its changes and success tomorrow after this nefarious Constitutional Law Exam I have to prepare for instead of battle lol.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Eclypse, nice team!

It seems that you've settled upon using Trinitrotoluene's Rock Polish Genesect, but I highly, highly suggest you run Modest over Timid. All the pokemon in the speed tiers immediately below Genesect run neutral natures much more often than they run positive natures, and all the pokemon in the speeds tier immediately above Genesect either run little to no speed investment or max speed and a positive nature. Meaning there's almost nothing unboosted Genesect outspeeds with a Timid nature that it dosen't outspeed with a Modest nature. Once boosted, Modest Genesect still outspeeds the likes of Timid Venusaur (Sun), Choice Scarf Lati@s, Jolly Stoutland (Sand), etc, and the extra power of Modest really shows. It's also worth noting that a super-effective Giga Drain is only 15 points stronger than a neutral Bug Buzz, so there's almost no reason to use Giga Drain and Bug Buzz on the same set, other than Terrakion and the recovery Giga Drain provides. Because of this, I suggest running Flamethower over either Giga Drain or Bug Buzz. Flamethower lets you OHKO many pokemon you could barely touch before, eg. Skarmory, Scizor, Genesect, Forretress (technically a 2HKO without rocks due to sturdy, but it can't do anything in return anyway) etc. And it provides much better coverage overall.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team! Luvdisc'd :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)