1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VoltTurn trap stall(ish), sir.

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by The Great Gastly, Nov 30, 2012.

1. The Great Gastly

The Great Gastly

VoltTurn Trap & Stall!~

Yup. This is the team I'm most proud of and have had the most success utilizing in the BW2 metagame, it's been in development for quite some time and I believe I finally have it optimized. I figured I'd rmt it to get some feedback! :3

Teambuilding process ~

1. First, I knew I wanted to utilize my current favorite in OU right now, Gothitelle! I've never been able to use his Specs set effectively, and I was right when I figured its Scarf set would much easier to use... and be better for this team.

[​IMG]

2. Next I wanted to get some VoltTurn going, but not for offensive purposes... I had the idea of trying out Gothitelle with some defensive VoltTurn members to aid in trapping any major threats against the defense. I ended up with Forretress and Gliscor as they provide VoltTurn, have fantastic typings, and set up both spikes and stealth rock together. These 3 members never changed throughout the process. (technically I had Landorus-T for like 5 minutes but whatever. lol)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Now that I had a nice core for the team, I knew it was time to address some major holes I could see so far. From where it stood, any special moves aided by the rain would demolish these three quite easily. I added Rotom-W in an attempt to extend the VoltTurn core, as well as help combat some scary rain boosted water moves and 100 acc Hurricanes. I decided to use the specially defensive set with ChestoRest as I find Pain Split kinda inconsistent.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Since my team is heavily reliant on keeping the hazards up, having a spinblocker was an absolute necessity. After doing some searching, I added Dusclops to the team as an incredibly bulky spin blocker when holding eviolite.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Finally, I added a SubRoost + Hone Claws Kyurem-B to serve as a finisher that took advantage of all the hazards up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. After testing this variant for a while, I was very unhappy with Dusclops -- despite his bulk. Having no reliable form of recovery ended up being very detrimental to his spinblocking duties. I tried out a Sableye in his place for a few matches, and I never looked back as it is by far my current MVP in most matches.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

7. This is where all of the final, big changes took place. Rotom-W was eventually replaced with the (I believe) bulkier Lanturn! It provided Volt Absorb to ease the pressure off Gliscor from absorbing electric moves, as well as doing everything else that Rotom-W did for the team. Also Kyurem-B was ultimetly replaced for the much more useful Celebi, who could contribute to VoltTurn as well as provide a fabulous typing much desired by the rest of the team. (plus it's cute.) And that's it!!

(lots of individual move / ev spread changes also took place here too.)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Gothitelle (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 8 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Trick
    - Psyshock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt

The one who started it all, scarf Gothitelle is an incredible asset to this team. It let's me pull off some easy trap kills on threats such as Starmie, Tornadus-T (needs some residual damage), no speed boosted Terrakion and Keldeo, Tentacruel, and more that I can't think of atm.

Psyshock and Thunderbolt are for STAB and coverage on Water & Flying types. Trick allows me to use the team preview and scope out what would be the most beneficial to trap and cripple with a choice scarf, and thus take advantage of how predictable the victim becomes. T-Wave is for an emergency speedy paralysis that remains useful even when the scarf has been tricked away. VoltTurn helps get him in safely and allows him to his job most effectively for this team.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
    IVs: 2 Spe
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin

Forretress provides the necessary Spikes, Rapid Spin, Volt Switch, and Steel-typing. Spikes are to compound on punishing each of my opponent's decisions to switch out, and thus maintains pressure on their team to minimize the amount of times they do switch. Rapid Spin is Rapid Spin, and without it my team would eventually crumble as it relies on VoltTurn and a high HP% to wall with for success. Forretress just so happens to have access to Volt Switch too, and so she fits right in!

HP Ice and the EV spread now require some explaining... I think. I got sick and tired of Dragons, Gliscor, Landorus-I/T, and other (coincidentally) Ice-weak pokemon doing as they wish against Forry. I eventually just switched to HP Ice and haven't regretted it! It hits the aforementioned threats, and while I do miss Gyro Ball for hitting things like Terrakion for tons of damage, HP Ice had utility value I couldn't ignore. Lastly, I opted for a specially defensive EV spread with a relaxed nature so Forry could still comfortably take on physical dragon moves with 352 Defense, but since I noticed a gaping weakness to Draco Meteors, I moved a ton of EVs to Special Defense for that purpose alone. Repeated meteors would eventually wear her down, and the rest of the team couldn't take them without losing a big chunk of HP. The SpDef EVs have also frequently come in handy for taking stray special attacks targeting Forretress, making her very difficult to take down if played right.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roost

The physical wall. That's what he does, and he does it well. Gliscor has an incredible tying for physical walling, and his only two weaknesses are covered my other members of the team. As for the moveset, U-turn is to maintain momentum and take full advantage of my opponent's switches. Earthquake is so he has some sort of STAB move to work with, and even with no attack investment -- ground-weak mons don't like taking his STAB Earthquake. Stealth Rock is entry hazard number 1 for the team, and for some reason is often unexpected of Gliscor to be setting them up. Thus, I am able to get up rocks fairly easily as my opponents often make a switch or use a move in preparation for something else from Gliscor -- not setting up rocks. o.O And finally we have Roost, as if Poison Heal+Toxic Orb wasn't enough healing... I've found Roost to be a very handy move to make Poison Heal Gliscor even more of a menace to take down. It's also handy for gaining a rock resist on slower opponents. Paralyzed terrakion? hehe. :D

The EV spread just goes all out on physical bulk. My team spreads parlysis pretty effectively, and even then, I've never found speed to be a major necessity on gliscor as I find it detracts from his walling capabilities.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 32 HP / 224 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Scald
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

I love Lanturn. It's so cute, and makes rain teams struggle if they lack any Grass or Ground-type moves to combat it. Lanturn resists their Hurricanes, Rain-boosted Water STABs, Ice Beams, and is my 2nd immunity to Thunder(bolt)s! I chose Lanturn for those qualities, as well as having access to Volt Switch -- with STAB no less! While I originally had Rotom-W here, I opted for a RestTalk Lanturn instead as Scald is much more useful than Hydro Pump on a defensively-inclined team. Lanturn spreads burns with Scald, has Volt Switch to maintain momentum in the VoltTurn "core", and remains useful while asleep.

Since Scald and Volt Switch required little explanation, I think RestTalk needs a little more justification... It's the best Lanturn has, and it has a couple of nice advantages. Pseudo-immunity to status is wonderful (can rest off status or be completely immune while sleeping), and the thing about Lanturn is that Sleep Talk will pick a useful move 2/3 of the time. Volt Switch lets the momentum keep itself going even when she's asleep, and Scald lets her continue to spread burns or deal damage at the very least. Very useful! I run a mixed defensive set to take advantage of Lanturn's large Base HP and pumped up both defenses with lots of EVs. :]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 SDef
    - Taunt
    - Foul Play
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover

Sableye is my spin-blocker. That's why he's here, but he does so much more even if the opponent has no spinner (o.O) or their spinner is dead. Prankster is such an incredible ability, and really makes Sableye a pain for a lot of teams. I've also noticed how many teams are so weak to a well-played Sableye, so that is handy too as lots of teams struggle to find a way to deal with him. Onto the moveset -- priority Taunt is such a fantastic tool to work with, I can't even properly explain just how great it is... it stops cheeky stat-boosting, healing, phazing, opposing taunts, and more. Priority Will-O-Wisp is a nice emergency answer to physically threatening pokemon, as well as a simple answer to those same threats if their threat isn't "emergency level" as is. :P Burn also gives some nice, extra chip damage against those inflicted with it. Recover is recover, and the only notable thing about it on Sableye is that it has priority. Priority is good.

Finally, I chose STAB Foul Play over Night Shade -- despite using Night Shade for a long time. Lati@s were a major pain if I couldn't paralyze them, and having a way to deal tons of damage to the multitude of dark-weaks (Xatu, anyone? Sableye's biggest counter!) is always nice. Foul Play has overall been the more useful offensive move, but I can be easily convinced to switch back to the more reliable alternative.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 248 HP / 232 SDef / 28 Spd
    - U-turn
    - Giga Drain
    - Thunder Wave
    - Recover

Celebi is my second U-turn user. I use Celebi not only for its access to U-Turn -- but for its combination of status absorption, handy typing, great movepool, and ability to combat breloom. (despite not running psychic...) With that said, I've opted to use a specially defensive spread on Celebi as most physical threats are walled / handled between Gliscor & Forretress or Gothitelle trapping and KOing them. Having something to take those nasty rain-boosted water moves has been a real boon for the team, and to shrugging off Scald burns is also a plus. Celebi mainly takes on water-types by smacking them with Giga Drains until they flee and take more entry hazard damage, even their unstabbed ice beams are taken pretty nicely.

I went with Grass for its STAB move as every time I've used Psychic, I ALWAYS wished I had Giga Drain to take down a water-type i'd otherwise have no problem with rather than being a huge pain to knock out. U-Turn explains itself, T-Wave is to spread paralysis against anything not immune to it -- not to mention common switchins like Tornadus HATE being paralyzed for the rest of the match. A paralyzed threat is much easier to handle when walls can outspeed it, and parahax comes in handy sometimes too. :P Recover is recovery, and it keeps this little guy healthy in combination with Giga Drain + Leftovers.

Changes considered?

• Perish Song > T-Wave on Celebi

• Night Shade > Foul Play on Sableye

• Coverage move > T-Wave on Gothitelle

• Gyro Ball > HP Ice on Forretress

• Heal Bell > Scald on Lanturn
    (There will hopefully be more.)

Overall, this has been my most successful team ever -- and that's kind of amazing considering how much of a mess BW2 feels like...Anyway, I hope you enjoyed! And if not, I hope you at least like the team. :]
  2. cosmicfinch

cosmicfinch

cool team,
    I'm in the middle of building a volt-turn and trap team as well. Kind of a fun style of play I must say.
    The first thing I notice when I look at your team, is you are lucky Genesect is banned now as he sweeps you pretty easily if he runs giga drain over thunder, if you plan on only playing this team outside of smogon I don't see you doing well.
    I don't think your trapper really has a means of revenge killing much at the moment. I'd recommend dropping Thunderwave as celebi has it already and adding some coverage moves, your team really needs some fire moves so maybe hp fire.
    I see Heatran sweeping this team more often than not as your only counter to him is outsped and ohko by hp ice. The Heatran I developed recently runs magma storm, sunny day, solar power and hp ice, and I can promise you he sweeps this team easily.
    Volcarona also destroys this team, and will have plenty of chances to come in and set up quiver dance, most volcarona now are running bulk and I don't see you beating that.
    My remedy for this problem is dropping lanturn! Yes I went there, and adding this guy who lacks volt turn, but works amazingly with celebi, gliscor, forretress, and will be able to destroy teams after you have burned or paralyzed his checks.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce
    - Earthquake
    Your team really needs someone who can benefit from the status and stall you have going on with your choices, I think Moxiemence could work just as well here, but this keeps your synergy together and gives you a better chance at winning.

Good luck with the team

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)