1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

[Vote] Initial Gen V Banlist

Discussion in 'The Policy Review' started by Rising_Dusk, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

As per this thread, we are holding a vote for which banlist we will begin with for Gen V. This poll is to determine which initial banlist we, as a community, will be endorsing for the beginning of Generation V. If Pokemon are banned by way of a banlist, they will remain banned for the duration of whatever Gen V suspect testing process we have. Only after we've determined the tiering of every other suspect in Gen V may the bans in this list be contested and discussed in Policy Review.

The means for that discussion and the means by which Pokemon will be suspect tested are beyond the scope of this poll. For clarification, the first banlist has no Pokemon on it.
    Votes will be processed using the Instant Runoff Voting scheme, which is why there is no poll attached to this thread. Your ballots will be tallied and scored by a script. If you are unfamiliar with IRV and want clarification, you may message me and ask questions or review the above Wikipedia link.

Read the following carefully to make sure that your vote counts. Format your votes using the following method.
    Code:
    [B]1st choice for banlist (Most Preferred)
    2nd choice for banlist
    3rd choice for banlist
    4th choice for banlist
    5th choice for banlist (Least Preferred)
    [/B]
    Any random stuff that you want to type should go under your votes.

Rules to follow so that your vote gets counted:

• The only bolded part of your vote should be the numbers at the top.
    • Editing your post is OK. The thread will be closed when the poll closes.
    • Don't actually post your ballot in CODE tags; that is merely for demonstrative purposes.
    • You must rank all entries. Do not exempt any of the banlists from your ballot.
    • Do not reply to other users' posts or discuss anything back and forth in this thread. The only posts that should be made are ballots.
    Below is an example ballot that complies with all rules. This ballot does not count toward the end result of this poll.
    Code:
    [B]3

[/B]I strongly believe in (...) and I don't think (...). I chose (...)
    for (...) reason.
    The poll will run for one week and end on 11:59PM GMT-4 November 2, 2010
  2. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

This is my vote, which also demonstrates what a proper ballot looks like. I support the existence of a banlist, but I do agree with those that are against it when they say that we should not ban too much. I feel that banlist #3 provides us with the bare minimum that we can get away with where no one will deny that they will eventually be banned in some form for being overpowered. That said, I also feel from personal experience playing BW that the Pokemon listed in banlist #2 are all overpowered in some manner of speaking.

After those two options, I feel that the other banlists are too expansive and would hurt the eventual BW metagame we endorse. For that reason, I support no banlist before them.
  3. jumpluff

jumpluff those things aren't romantic to me
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

4. reyscarface

reyscarface
    is a Forum Moderatordefeated the Smogon Frontier

5. TheFourthChaser

TheFourthChaser #TimeForChange
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

6. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

These are my thoughts. I think 5 is solid and bans any Pokemon that have historically been overpowered. If we want, we can always go back and choose suspects from ubers to test in OU, but banning the strongest Pokemon in the game seems like a logical move to develop a good OU metagame to start Generation 5.
  7. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I am confident enough that all of the 680+ legends will be quickly relegated to uber whatever we end up deciding, including Lugia. Wobbuffet I am very unsure on, I definitely would like to see it having a real test, and Darkrai, I am pretty sure will be uber, but I am not so dead certain I see no value in testing it.

Have a nice day.
  8. Ditto

Ditto /me huggles
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

9. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Battle Spot Leader

10. dbolt

dbolt

11. Sixonesix

Sixonesix
    is a Past SPL Winner

12. Colonel M

Colonel M I don't suck it's my team that sucks!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

I seriously cannot believe only one list has Deoxys banned, and it's only one of them. >_>;
  13. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

wobbuffet shouldn't even be considered for a ban at this point 9.9
  14. tito

tito

15. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I wish instead of #2 and #5 we had an option that was without both Lugia and Darkrai rather than either/or so I could have put that second instead.
  16. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Banlists 5 and 2 are my preference, since I feel they aren't overly-extensive and they ban Pokemon that I am almost positive will be banned at some point in Generation 5. The banlist is meant to save time while not overzealously relegating Pokemon to Ubers, and I feel banlists 5 and 2 accomplish this. While I'd prefer to see Darkrai begin Uber based on my experiences with it in both Generation 4 and 5, I can see where the controversy for him lies, so I wouldn't mind if banlist 2 was adopted. Banlist 3 just seems so overly arbitrary to me that I'm surprised it's even here. We may as well have no banlist, and while I most certainly do not agree with that position, at least I feel it's more sensible than banlist 3.
  17. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

18. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

19. Bologo

Bologo Have fun with birds and bees.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

20. Heist

Heist
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

21. The_Chaser

The_Chaser RVW
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

22. Veedrock

Veedrock

#2 and #5 remove everything that absolutely needs to be covered, but I agree with Firestorm that it's lame that they alternate one ban and make us pick the lesser of two evils. I'd be all for #4 if it didn't include Wobbuffet (which I will not advocate under any circumstance); I also don't know why it's lacking Darkrai, since I'm supposing that to be the all inclusive list. I fail to see why #3 does not include Reshiram/Zekrom, they're more ridiculous than Dialga/Palkia. I should have spoken up in the other thread, minor tweaks to each list would make them all solid options.

Also come on pokedex listings are so much easier to comprehend than alphabetical.
  23. Atticus

Atticus Atticus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentis a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

24. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

25. Kristoph

Kristoph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)