vs. bbqmudkipz (03/25/2010)

Formatting was decent, but comments were sparse and that Ledian lead was really bad. I mean, a Yanmega could have done better, taking out Azelf without even possibly sustaining a hit due to Speed Boost making it subsequently faster than Azelf. And the
ubiquitous Metagross could have also done better with a simple MM+BP.

Don't use NU Pokemon just to use NU Pokemon; if you're using lesser Pokemon, use them with a purpose.

-words about falsly claiming how good discharge is-
Yeah Discharge is way better than T-Bolt, except when:
Jolteon used Discharge.
Infernape lost 89% of its health.
Jolteon lost 10% of its health.
Infernape used Close Combat.
Jolteon lost 33% of its health.
elephantdog's Jolteon fainted.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.
It woult have died to Thunderbolt so using Discharge over Thunderbolt was a pretty poor choice since Jolteon can't really run support all too well.

Also commenting again to say that being greedy with Nasty Plots v. Vappy was a pretty dumb move imo, since you could have really crippled it with a +2 Air Slash.

One of the most interesting battles I've ever seen here. Good job, even though there were some weird moments (and try a little harder at Voltorb Flip or the slots for that Thunderbolt TM, because as you've seen here it IS worth it). And well, try to not rely on luck too much.

And lastly - mtr, I don't think Yanmega can use Reflect or Knock Off.
I'd never expect to see a Ledian doing something in my entire life. What item did it have, by the way?

And lastly - mtr, I don't think Yanmega can use Reflect or Knock Off.
I'd never expect to see a Ledian doing something in my entire life. What item did it have, by the way?
For what it's worth, Metagross can set up screens. Also, if you're going to use a Pokemon as a lead, you're supposed to see its performance against other leads, not in some fantasy land where you have infinite time to set up whatever you want. Both Yanmega and Metagross can limit Azelf to setting up only Stealth Rock, while Ledian has to deal with SR, and getting its Sash broken by an attack.

What item did it have, by the way?
Reflect is long gone. I don't even remember what item it was holding. Right now, it has a Light Ball with Fling. If I had that during this battle, I could've really crippled Infernape where I used Reflect.

I don't use NUs just for the sake of using NUs. I never said that anywhere but you guys are inferring that. Ledian is one of two (and only two) Pokemon that can pull off Encore/Knock Off/Fling. The other is Alakazam. The reason why I prefer Ledian is Alakazam is U-turn bait. Gastrodon is a very usable Pokemon. It's not even a joke. In most battles, Gastrodon is the highlight player. So many teams fail to break past his stockpiles. With Latias gone, he's only gotten better. Girafarig makes a great revenger. Salamence is the only other OU Pokemon that can pull off his set but switching Salamence into Heatran is saying "I'm going to use Earthquake on you." Switching Girafarig on Heatran makes the other player feel like I have no other Pokemon to use against him. They never expect an Earthquake because as far as they know, Girafarig is "special." You won't believe how many Gengars and Giratinas use Shadow Ball/Force on Girafarig.

Your opponent wasn't that good at all. Your team was pretty bad, your moves were decent but nothing really special. Commentary was alright but there wasn't a good battle to base it on.

While I like the use of novel pokemon in OU, your sets were pretty bad. Non-sash Ledian is kinda meh, and Girafarig was running a weak set. And I LO max speed Jolteon would have swept his entire team, KO'ing ape and proceeding to destroy everything else.

Oh, and btw. Vaporeon would have lived if it'd stayed in to take the Ice Shard from your Mamo.

It was interesting enough. :)

I enjoyed it, even if the Vaporeon stall did get a bit long. I'll withhold a rating out of ten because I loathe seeming elitist, plus I'm relatively new to the competitive scene.

I never get how people find these kinds of battles interesting. Yeah, he used crappy Pokemon in OU. So what? That doesn't excuse the fact that it was a terrible battle. It isn't like he showed how good NU Pokemon can be. He simply showed that mediocre Pokemon can do a mediocre job (compared to other Pokemon. I'm looking at you Ledian), and win against a terrible opponent.

Yeah, Ledian can pull off encore/fling/knock off. However, take into account the top 10 leads. Most/all of them shut Ledian down. So he got away with using a shitty Pokemon. That isn't exciting. It is frustrating. It's frustrating to see how bad his opponent and his opponent's sets were.

A few of the people commentating strike me as the people that would orgasm if they read a warstory that showed a successful baton pass chain to Pikachu, and proclaim "OMG YOU SHOWED HOW GOOD PIKACHU CAN BE IN OU!"

I found it interesting because it was a break from what we're used to see, even if it wasn't indeed the greatest match of all time (or a great match at all). In my personal opinion, it was better than seeing teams based on setting up entry hazards and phazing anything away.

I have to admit that the part about the Vaporeon was pretty sad, though.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reflect is long gone. I don't even remember what item it was holding. Right now, it has a Light Ball with Fling. If I had that during this battle, I could've really crippled Infernape where I used Reflect.

I don't use NUs just for the sake of using NUs. I never said that anywhere but you guys are inferring that. Ledian is one of two (and only two) Pokemon that can pull off Encore/Knock Off/Fling. The other is Alakazam. The reason why I prefer Ledian is Alakazam is U-turn bait. Gastrodon is a very usable Pokemon. It's not even a joke. In most battles, Gastrodon is the highlight player. So many teams fail to break past his stockpiles. With Latias gone, he's only gotten better. Girafarig makes a great revenger. Salamence is the only other OU Pokemon that can pull off his set but switching Salamence into Heatran is saying "I'm going to use Earthquake on you." Switching Girafarig on Heatran makes the other player feel like I have no other Pokemon to use against him. They never expect an Earthquake because as far as they know, Girafarig is "special." You won't believe how many Gengars and Giratinas use Shadow Ball/Force on Girafarig.
OK I had to address this. What kind of OU are you playing?! I dont remember Giratina ruining my OU fun lately...and since when does Giratina run shadow force...so many things wrong with that statement.

But that aside: im sorry but I think the use of NUs and other things in OU, unless they perform a certain niche (such as walrein) shouldn't be warstoried unless they do something of note in said warstory. There were some pretty bad misplays (why would you keep your Ledian in against azelf which almost always carries fire blast, it doesn't matter that you can hit it with bug buzz its still gonna kill you next turn and you've accomplished nothing but breaking its sash. I died a little bit on the inside when i saw toxic on lead azelf. This was a really sub-par war story with OK structure but lacking actual battle.

There were some misplays (why didn't Vaporeon use Protect after Mamoswine Endeavored it? If it Protected, it could've had a fighting chance since it may have lived an EQ and then either somehow Wished back to some more HP or die then attempt to kill Gastrodon with Ape) and I didn't understand why Azelf didn't Psychic on Togekiss and also why did Azelf even have Toxic on its moveset...

5/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)