<p>Aggron (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch</p>

<p>With rock polish this pokemon reaches 394 speed necessary in order to sweep all the treath that are not scarfed </p>

<p>Iron head is the mainstab of his movepole, that in addition to the hard hitting fairy type, has a percentage of 30% flinch rate</p>

<p>Rock Head allows him to deal an insane damage with Head Smash without recoil, with base power of 150 plus STAB.</p>

<p>Aggron is completely walled by Steel-type Pokèmon, so we choose Fire Punch over Earthquake, because we can hit Pokèmon such as Ferrothorn or Scizor.</p>

[Mega Evolution Recommendations]

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>When he's megaevolved, Attack, Defence, and special Defence stats raise.</li>
<li>With the trait Filter, the damage by super-effective moves is reduced by 25%.</li>
<li>Aggron change the type of rock/steel to Pure Steel.</li>
<li>Immunity to Toxic Spikes and poison-type</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>Aggron loses Rock-type STAB</li>
</ul>

<p>Aggron (M) @ Aggronite
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Iron Head/ Heavy Slam
- Dragon Tail</p>

<p>This set relies on Aggron's Defense and sp. Defence stat, combinated with max HP, making him a very strong bulky pokèmon.</p>

<p>
Unfortunately the aggronite does not allow the use of other items such as leftovers, so the only recovery move for Aggron is rest, which all things considered along with sleep talk and its defenses, make it a huge Pokemon difficult to throw down.
The mega evolution has a fantastic defense, he learns dragon tail that make it a great phazer.
MegaAggron also, has a great attack, iron head / heavy slam are a STAB move and it isn't powerless against fairy type pokemon.
</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Aggron is weak to fight type and his special defense is very poor.
Also bulky pokemon like Hippowdown, Quagsire and Donphan can enter on his every move easily and knock it down.</p>

<p>When he megaevolve, Aggron increases his defenses, but his movepool is completely walled by Steel-type Pokèmon, including Ferrothorn</p>

Last edited:
Aggron does not need Protect for mega evolution. Mega evolution occurs at the beginning of the turn so Mega Aggron will not have to worry about tanking a 4x super effective Fighting-type or Ground-type move. Protect does not even give Aggron Leftovers recovery, unlike other defensive Pokemon that use Protect.

I would probably use Rest / Sleep Talk / Iron Head (or Heavy Slam) / Dragon Tail. Mega Aggron really appreciates some sort of recovery because it does not benefit from Leftovers, and there aren't many moves Aggron wants to use anyways. By the way, Stealth Rock is not legal on Aggron at the moment. I'm also not sure why you're bothering investing in Special Defense. There's no reason to try and make Mega Aggron some kind of mixed wall when its Defense is so much better. You're just making it generally less efficient. EVs should be 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def Impish imo.

Also, that checks&counters section is really lacking. All of the examples you've provided are pretty irrelevant ones (and the Mach Punch tidbit is just plain wrong: the strongest Mach Punch only 3HKO's it even with Spikes + Stealth Rock on the field). It does not matter if Mega Aggron gets walled easily: it's a defensive Pokemon. It is not made to dish out damage. What you should be talking about is how it is easy to wear down because it only has RestTalk recovery, lack of utility moves besides phazing, vulnerable to special attacks, and other things like that.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Thunderwave certainly deserves mentioning on MEga aggron's standard utility set, not only is spreading status invaluable for a wall, being resistant to set up sweepers and switch ins, but combined with iron head gets that paraflinch action going.

Reactions: DTC

Killua kun

Pkmn/HxH
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
With Mega Aggron, I started from a similar set, that was Stealth Rock / Dragon Tail / Rest / Sleep Talk, but was completely blocked by Fairy-Type Pokèmon, then I found another option. Evs will be the standard, I had set 232 HP in order to take less damage from Stealth Rock. Thanks.

Last edited:
You have sturdy listed for Mega Aggron's Ability. It should be Filter.

Also curious if the movement of four evs from defense to speed on the first set (outspeeds 130 speed pokes regardless of nature unless boosted or cscarfed) would be viable.

Last edited:
We just found out that Stealth Rock can be bred on to Aron from Tyrunt, so that would be a good AC option under the Mega Aggron set.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You have sturdy listed for Mega Aggron's Ability. It should be Filter.

Also curious if the movement of four evs from defense to speed on the first set (outspeeds 130 speed pokes regardless of nature unless boosted or cscarfed) would be viable.
Actually, Aggron's ability is Sturdy until it mega evolves, so he's right to put Sturdy there.

Anyway, I'm not crazy about the Rock Polish set. Even at +2 speed, Aggron is outsped by almost every Scarf Pokémon (especially with an Adamant nature) and wrecked by Aegislash with Sacred Sword. I think there was a Metal Burst set last gen that could be useable for Aggron by itself, but I see little to no reason to use it otherwise. It's only real niche in OU atm is its mega forme. I'm not on QC, so you can feel free to disagree, but that's just how I see it.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Couple of things

The entire analysis should be centered around Mega Aggron, because regular Aggron is not an viable option in standard.
  • I tested Rock Polish Mega Aggron, but it came up short. It didn't have the power or coverage sweep, but it admittedly was hard to kill. AC material
  • I feel like Stealth Rock Mega Aggron should get it's own consisting of Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Iron Head / Dragon Tail | Earthquake. It plays differently from the restalk set warrant it's own set imo (Physical wall with longevity VS Physical tank with utility support (SR/T-wave)
  • Since you'll be dedicating your overview to Mega Aggron, that will need some changing. In pros section, mention that it's a ridiculous durable wall on the physical side that can check nearly every physical attacker. (Even ridiculously potent ones like +2 Talonflame.) I imagine it has a bigger niche in this metagame because Landorus-T is unavailable. In the cons section, you can mention that Aggron is slow, weak, and dead weight before it mega evolves.
  • Mention a SpD spread in AC for mixed walling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)