<ul>
<li>Stealth Rock weak.</li>
<li>Doing Taunt on Mandibuzz mean the end for it.</li>
<li>There are only a few options in terms of movepool.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

Work in progress.

Last edited:
I've been testing Mandibuzz out lately, and I've found a specially defensive set to be really solid.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
-Knock Off
-Defog
-Roost
-Whirlwind / U-turn / Toxic / Taunt

Defog is one of the biggest new tools at Mandibuzz's disposal. Being weak to Stealth Rock really sucks, but having excellent bulk and being immune to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes really helps Mandibuzz find plenty of opportunities to remove hazards. Knock Off actually has respectable power now, and removing an opponent's item is excellent for support. From my experience, these three moveslots are the most important, so I just tossed the other viable options I've tried into the fourth slot. Any of the QC members might have a better combination of moves for a standard set, so this is just a suggestion based on my own recent testing.

EDIT: Removed Foul Play since it won't be available until December.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The best bet of Mandibuzz for now is a set of Taunt / Defog / Roost / Whirlwind. Counters Aegislash and counters any defensive entry hazard setter. Taunt means that defensive hazard setters can't just stall you out of pps, so all you need to do is use Taunt and then bring something in that can scare them out. Roost is obvious and Whirlwind is your best bet against Aegislash and any boosting Pokemon in general without Foul Play.

Oh and use a 252 HP / 252 Def+ spread.

I found limited success or usefulness for whirlwind on mandi. Until Mandi gains access to foul play, it's best set is probably closer to

Knock off/roost/defog/taunt

In OUPokebank, Mandi is deadly simply by foul play. It doesn't NEED to phaze for the majority of the time because it can cripple physical set up sweepers and hurt special pokes a bit with knock off. So that is something to look forward to.

Mandi should be looked to as a phazer in only few situations, in teams where another devoted phazer does not exist and a phazer is needed. The weaknesses to ice, electric, as well fighting and bug on roost turns, make it rather prone to getting the bad end of a phaze in. Also remember that the primary purpose of mandi is to remove hazards. If the hazards are gone, using mandi as a stall poke doesn't work well. Personally, if you want a phazing defog user, you'd be better off with skarm. Mandi fills in more geared towards removing items and more speedily taunting walls.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Without Whirlwind you are set up bait for every single set up sweeper than can take a few Knock Off hits, which means most of the good set up sweepers. Without Whirlwind you can do jack shit to Aegislash. Whirlwind is needed for Mandibuzz to be viable without Foul Play and this is not negotiable.

Last edited:

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Apparently Mandibuzz lacks Defog AND Foul Play, which to me, makes it exceptionally doubtful as to how good it actually is.

Yes, Defog is a level-up move. Unfortunately Foul Play is a Move Tutor only available in 5th gen, so we have to wait the Pokebank.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
QC REJECTED 1/2

When this thing gets Foul Play, then ok, I can see it working out ok, but until then, I don't see it.

Yes, without Foul Play it hasn't any utility. I've tested this thing and I can't do anything against Aegislash and other things.

Punishment can be run to deal with most set-up sweepers, in theory. Doesn't work too hot on Aegislash, unless you predict properly(After one SD Boost on Aegislash, Mandibuzz can deal 1/3 of Aegis' health when it's in its defense form). Heck, even at +6, Aegis cannot OHKO Mandi and Mandi can roost if it comes in and has been hit by SR. Needless to say, a Punishment WILL KO Aegis of they exchange. This is assuming Aegis is using Sacred Sword and has max attack, by the way.

Situational, maybe, but it's an option.

According to Serebii, Mandibuzz now gets Foul Play as an egg move, so it's legal pre-Pokebank. I'd like to reiterate a Foul Play / Defog / Roost setup with Whirlwind and Taunt in the fourth slot at the very least. I personally really like Toxic and U-turn as well, but I guess just a small mention of those would be good enough.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Holy shit, that's great news!!! We need some confirmation on this info, but if it is indeed true then make the first set have these moves:

move 1: Foul Play
move 2: Roost
move 3: Defog / Toxic
move 4: Taunt / Whirlwind

Knock Off and U-turn are good options to put in AC.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Yes, Mandibuzz gets Foul Play as an Egg move. So with that, Mandibuzz can finally get an analysis up!

You should probably not list "immunity to Psychic" as a Pro, that's not very important. Resisting Ghost and Dark while being neutral to Fighting and immune to EQ is the bigger draw. However, its 110/105/95 bulk is far more than "decent", it's excellent, especially combined with reliable recovery in Roost!

Overcoat blocking all powder moves (Spore) is a nice bonus, but it's not very useful since Breloom can hit you harder with Rock Tomb than you can hit back with Foul Play. Mandibuzz does have Brave Bird if it wants to KO, although that should just be mentioned in the comments. Knock Off deserves a big mention there too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)