Walrein (Curse)

Disclaimer: If there is some proceudre that I should have gone through in order to post this, I apologize for doing so, and ask the thread be locked and moved.

[SET]
Name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Avalanche
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk / Waterfall / Super Fang
item: Leftovers
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

- Splits away from Walrein's usually purely defensive role to function more as a tank.
- Surprise factor?
- Curse boosts Walrein's Attack and Defence, and after a few boosts can easily sponge many hits.
- Water-typing gives it some nice resistances, and Thick Fat with the evs given lets it set up against some of the tier's hard special hitters, such as Nasty Plot Jynx and Choice Specs Glaceon.
- Avalanche functions as the main STAB attack, and since Curse lowers your Speed, it'll usually reach full power. It also punishes Grass-types who think they can safely switch in.
- Rest allows Walrein some longevity, and after a few boosts, it can afford to take hits while sleeping.
- Sleep Talk allows Walrein to function as a mono-attacker.
- Waterfall is for secondary STAB, and can hit many Walls, such as Regirock, Probopass, and Bastiodon for super-effective damage.
- Super Fang will allow for consistant damage, and hits anything bar Ghost-types.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Poses problems for more defensively based teams
- The evs given allow Walrein a massive HP and respectable Special Defence, which gives it a good chance to set up, effectively taking hits on both sides of the spectrum after a few boosts.
- Encore can really ruin set up attempts, but generally really has to compete for a slot
- Earthquake can be used to hit Steels super effectively
-Roar can phaze out anything that tries to set up
- Toxic can be used to break walls as you slowly wear them down with Waterfall
- Body Slam can be used for paralysis
- Ice Body can be used for a Hail team
- A more offensive Brave natured 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD can be placed in a Trick Room team (0 Speed IVs)
- Rapid Spin support is critical, as Walrein's Ice-typing leaves it weak to Stealth Rock
- Eviolite Baltoy is especially useful, as it sponges all Electric, Fighting, and Rock-type attacks aimed at Walrein
- Additionally, entry hazards of your own can help Walrein KO weakened walls
- Dual Screens can be used so Walrein can nab a few extra boosts
- Fighting-types, notably Sawk, can ruin your fun, so packing a Ghost-type can help
- Misdreavus is an exceptionally good partner, as it not only avoid Fighting-type moves, but can also burn the opponent (watch out for Throh), and use Heal Bell to awaken a sleeping Walrein
- Fire-type partners help clean out troubling Grass-types, notably Tangela and Exeggutor
- Gorebyss and Huntail set up all over you, so packing a specially defensive Throh with Circle Throw or Choice Scarfed Electric-types, such as Rotom-F or Electabuzz can help check this problem
- The latter two can also sponge Electric-hits fairly well, as can Lightingrod Raichu

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I'm not exactly sure of the viability of the set because I haven't tested it yet, but I'd be thinking that Ice-type move is the better choice of move for a mono-attacking set? With Waterfall being the only attack, you get set up by Jynx. Not to mention, Grass-types are rather dominant in NU, and those are the ones with a better shot of getting past Walrein's respectable bulk--so hitting them with a super effective STAB may be better. Then, hitting Probopass / Regirock / Golem harder has gotta count for something, I guess, so Waterfall isn't exactly bad.

Oh and this is utter setup bait for all variants of Gorebyss so mention stuff like Scarf Electrics as teammates and such. I guess Scarf Raichu gets Lightningrod to take Electric-types for Walrein, but Scarf Raichu isn't that great.

Thanks for the feedback, for some reason Gorebyss completely slipped my mind.

As for the STAB move, Waterfall has worked better for me if running a mono-attacker, as I usually pack checks for Grass-types, and it helps break those walls you mentioned and Fire-types. However, there are a fair amount of Grass-types that can pass Walrein's bulk, and Checking Jynx is a big advantage to the set. With all that plus Avalanche's higher base power usually being reached after some Curse boosts, I'll swap the 2.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't really see how Walrein does this set better than Lapras, which has better defensive stats, better Attack, and Water Absorb to help beat Gorebyss and other Water-types. You'd have to make a big deal out of its Fire resistance, Earthquake and its access to niche moves like Encore for Walrein to have a chance at being more useful, and if you're only using an Ice attack, Fire types like Magmortar and Emboar will probably beat you anyways.

Encore is the only thing Walrein has going for it, and even that's a stretch.

Sorry,

QC REJECTED (1/3)

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Walrein can really only set up against mono-attacking Jynx which is really the worst set imo. +2 Lefties Psychic easily 2HKOes Walrein after SR (and has a pretty big chance to do so before SR), while a +2 LO Focus Blast will always OHKO. Like erisia said, I just don't see what this set has over Lapras, who has Water Absorb, better special bulk, and even priority if you wanted it. Tentatively rejecting unless someone else has a good reason not to.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)