Walrein (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

[Overview]

<p>Walrein is a powerful staller that has proven its worth in RU. It has excellent bulk with its 110 / 90 / 90 defenses, and has a great defensive ability in the form of Ice Body. Ice Body, when combined with Leftovers, allows Walrein to recover the HP lost from using Substitute in a span of two turns. However, Walrein has some defensive faults; it sports a typing that leaves it with four weaknesses and only two resistances, a weakness to Stealth Rock, and a limited movepool . Walrein requires Rapid Spin support due to its vulnerability to Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. Despite its numerous flaws, Walrein can, without a doubt, become a deadly staller in the right hands.</p>

[SET]
name: Stallrein
move 1: Protect
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Blizzard / Surf
move 4: Super Fang / Toxic / Roar
item: Leftovers
ability: Ice Body
nature: Bold
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are incredibly important to this set. 232 HP EVs give Walrein a healthy 419 HP, the 252 Defense EVs along with a Bold nature maximize Walrein's Defense, and the remaining 24 EVs are placed into Special Defense for some special bulk. 419 HP is very important, as in two turns, Ice Body and Leftovers can recover the total HP lost from Substitute. This allows Walrein to continuously spam Substitute and Protect, but Walrein only has 32 turns to use this strategy . For this set to function at all, you need hail support, making Snover a necessity, due to its ability, Snow Warning. If you use Toxic, just keep using Substitute and Protect to stall for enough poison and hail damage, and KO them with either Blizzard or Surf . Walrein's base 95 Special Attack works in its favor, as it allows an effective use of Walrein's STAB attacks. Blizzard is a superior choice due to its higher Base Power and better coverage, although Surf can hit Steels that are immune to Toxic, and has more PP. Super Fang requires a similar strategy: Set up Substitute and Protect, and keep using Super Fang until your foe is within KO range. Roar, yet another option, is much better when used in conjunction with entry hazards such as Toxic Spikes. Roar can also be used to help prevent being set up on, as Pokemon such as Poliwrath will ruin your fun with Encore.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To make a long story short, Walrein needs a healthy amount of support to be successful. If you use Roar or Super Fang, then Toxic Spikes are an excellent choice to cripple the opponent's team. Roselia makes a great partner; not only can it provide Toxic Spikes, but it can switch into the Electric- and Grass-type attacks that Walrein is weak to . Rapid Spin support is also helpful; Claydol is an excellent Rapid Spinner as it shares great defensive synergy with Walrein, and has access to Stealth Rock. Cryogonal can be partnered with Walrein as it can take advantage of the hail, and it also has access to Rapid Spin and Recover. Dugtrio is a good partner, as it deals with annoying Steel and Poison-types, and send them back to where they came from, as well as provide Stealth Rock support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sadly, Walrein doesn't have many other options, due to its very limited movepool. You could run a RestTalk set to remedy Walrein's lack of recovery, or use Yawn to force switches and inflict sleep, but other than the options already mentioned, Walrein is a one trick walrus. </p>

[Checks and counters]

<p>Any Pokemon that is immune to Toxic and not weak to Ice- or Water-type attacks is an ideal counter. That being said, Muk provides a Toxic immunity and a neutrality to Walrein's STAB moves. There are many Steel-types in RU such as Ferroseed that easily wall Walrein. Most bulky Water-types give Walrein a hard time as well. Lanturn resists both of Walrein's STAB attacks, and has its super effective, Electric-type STAB to use against it. In addition phazers keep Walrein from setting up. Hariyama makes a good counter with its super effective, Fighting-type STAB attacks, and Guts variants can abuse the Attack boost from Toxic and beat down Walrein. Another ideal counter is Drapion, as it can switch into Toxic Spikes, is immune to Toxic, has decent Special Defense, and it can just Whirlwind Walrein out, or Taunt it. Specially defensive-inclined Pokemon such as Clefable can easily withstand an uninvested Blizzard or Surf. Pokemon with Taunt prevent it from setting up and force it to switch out. Encore not only prevents you from setting up, but lets the opponent set up. Status destroys Walrein; burn and poison wither away your HP, while paralysis takes away the little Speed you already have. Toxic Spikes discourages you from switching Walrein in, as it essentially neuters the stalling strategy.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Walrein got nothing useful from the Dream World. Its Dream World ability is Oblivious, which prevents attraction; you'd be lucky if this was ever used at all in any tier. It is totally outclassed by Ice Body. Oblivious is never, in any case, viable. Don’t use it.

Definitely follow this guidline for the set format. You need a quality control tag as well.

EDIT: Might as well give some advice too. Change the abomasnow mention in stallrein ac to snover; abomasnow isn't in ru. I'd remove the curse set, as there's no way I can see that being useful. (unless you can get some logs or something, but you said yourself that you haven't tested it. lapras basically outclassed this anyway.)

Aside from all the aforementioned formatting comments, I'd have to agree with Foster on the issue of a Curse set, Lapras outclasses in almost every conceivable way. As for the stall set, I'd definitely put Blizzard as the primary option, because outside of hail he gets outclassed as a bulky water by Slowking, Qwilfish, Mantine, etc. Also, I'd suggest mentioning the merits of Scald/Stockpile/Roar/Super Fang/Encore (to a degree). You don't really need three different points to say "only to be used w/Snover" or something along those lines.

4th gen =/= 5th gen so the stallrein set should look something like this:

[SET]
evs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD

Also, remove the other set. It's terrible and no one would ever use it. Stallrein is the only thing Walrein should ever be doing. Also, you need to go a little more in depth other than "just spam substitute and protect"

good luck

Oh, and sorry 'bout such closely knit posts, but you should really emphasize that Stallrein loves TSpikes support, as it frees up a moveslot for him to throw in an extra utility. Maybe mention Eviolite Roselia as a good partner for it, taking in Grass/Electric attacks (and technically Fighting, but it's intensely frail physically and should really only be run purely specially defensive), absorbing pesky TSpikes and laying it's own, as well as supplying Cleric support to avoid an irritating status ailment.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
idk why you think the formatting is correct yet. It should look exactly like this:

[SET]
name: Set Name
move 1: Most Important
move 2: Second Most Important
move 3: Third Most Important
move 4: Least Important
item: Item
ability: Ability
nature: Nature
evs: EVs

With the correct spacing and everything. So, the overview should ook like [Overview]. Also, every move is capitalized, so surf should be Surf, etc. If I don't see improvement by this weekend I'm just going to lock this and bar you from C&C because it really isn't that hard to copy a simple format.

You still have a couple formatting errors. It should be [Overview] (between brackets and lower case). The st should literally look like this:

[SET]
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD

Just copy and paste it from here (hyphens need to be colons, there should be a space between the colon and the word after the colon and move names should be capitalized.

Set comments, Additional Comments, Checks and Counters and Dream World should all have brackets around them just like Overview.

Because this hasnt passed the QC stage, everything should be in bullets because it makes it harder to hange things when the time comes.

EDIT: I hate to say ninja'd but I feel it is appropriate for the situation.

4th gen =/= 5th gen so the stallrein set should look something like this:

[SET]
evs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD

Also, remove the other set. It's terrible and no one would ever use it. Stallrein is the only thing Walrein should ever be doing. Also, you need to go a little more in depth other than "just spam substitute and protect"

good luck

Umm. As said previously replace the hyphens (-) on the Set Name and EVs with a colon (:). You have 2 Checks and counters section and 2 Dream world sections. You also should take the Set Comments out of capitalization but thats me being picky.

As far as content goes there is a lot to work on so I will just start. In chacks and counters you mention Muk specifically when there are lots more pokemon in the tier that are immune to poison and are neutral to ice and water that can handle Walreain much better. I also assume Muk cant break its Sub. Sableye an stop it from Subbing up with Taunt but I have no idea why a Walrein will stay in on one. Clefable can easily take Blizzards and Toxics. You mention Hariyama because of fighting STAB but there are many fighting type in the tier; what really seperates Hariyama from them is Guts allowing it to take Toxics and nice special bulk. In that vein Walrein has tons of weaknesses and there are many things to exploit those weaknesses.

Also, you can look at 4th gen NU analyses as well as 5th gen UU analyses for some ideas.

Umm. As said previously replace the hyphens (-) on the Set Name and EVs with a colon (:). You have 2 Checks and counters section and 2 Dream world sections. You also should take the Set Comments out of capitalization but thats me being picky.

As far as content goes there is a lot to work on so I will just start. In chacks and counters you mention Muk specifically when there are lots more pokemon in the tier that are immune to poison and are neutral to ice and water that can handle Walreain much better. I also assume Muk cant break its Sub. Sableye an stop it from Subbing up with Taunt but I have no idea why a Walrein will stay in on one. Clefable can easily take Blizzards and Toxics. You mention Hariyama because of fighting STAB but there are many fighting type in the tier; what really seperates Hariyama from them is Guts allowing it to take Toxics and nice special bulk. In that vein Walrein has tons of weaknesses and there are many things to exploit those weaknesses.

Also, you can look at 4th gen NU analyses as well as 5th gen UU analyses for some ideas.
I don't have....2.....sections......and fine, I will update checks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)