Want Go-Goggles?

You're sure? If you don't, you might not be able to see this Sand RMT. You see, it's sandy. Whatever, go ahead, I don't care even if you go blind. Let's get down to it.
As I've already tried both rain and sun, it was time to try the third weather: sand (NO, NOT HAIL). Usually, when I try a new playstyle, I playtest it first to get the hang of it, so I normally spent up to 10 minutes making the team. Surprisingly, my first attempt worked fairly well. After changing two members on the team (from the original), I've checked everything that could give me problems except one: Ditto. You probably have no idea how many times I've bitched about it. Of course, I'm posting this RMT in the hopes that you (him/her) will tell me what rips through my team (and Shedinja isn't one of them, since 4 members carry a super effective move, sandstorm OHKOes Shedinja, and I have entry hazards).
And *pauses for applause* here's my team:
NOTE: Changes are bolded, but pokemon changes are blue (again).

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Payback > Crunch
- Pursuit
- Low Kick
Of course, to set up the sand, you need either T-tar or Hippowdon. Despite Hippowdon getting reliable recovery, it has terrible special bulk, while T-tar can wall most special moves. I don't want to put Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn, so here it is. Crunch has more reliable power than Payback, as Payback only has 50 BP if I get phazed. Also, it has a chance of lowering the foe's Defence, which is useful when I'm up against, like, I don't know, maybe a Lugia? Pursuit allows me to trap Giratina-O, since it normally carries HP Fire, giving my team huge problems. Low Kick doesn't drop my stats, while still maintaining 120 BP most of the time as ubers are really heavy. The HP and SDef EVs allow me to "weather two Surfs from defensive Kyogre", while the rest are put into Attack. Payback allows me to OHKO Mewtwo, and that's enough for me (didn't realise before).

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 204 SAtk / 192 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock > Refresh > Psyshock
Whoever heard of an Ubers team without a Kyogre counter? Here's mine, and I chose it over Palkia since I'm using a sand team, and therefore recovery is vital. Also it has an awesome ability, Levitate, so Latias is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, while being able to switch into Groudon (most of the time). CM to aid against stall and when I get to set up, since Kyogre usually switches out, so I Roost on the switch (Roost is obviously for recovery). Dragon Pulse is STAB, and Psyshock is STAB, since Kyogre normally switches out, no point for Thunder/Grass Knot. With Psyshock, I can beat CMOgres and most other CMers bar Jirachi. I can also hit Ho-oh's weaker Defence stat without Psyshock being weakened by burn. 112 HP EVs allow me to survive 2 hits from ScarfOgre and I outspeed Specs anyway, 192 Spd EVs allow me to outspeed Garchomp by 1 point, and the rest is dumped into SAtk.

Excadrill @ Life Orb > Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) > Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head > Rock Slide
If I'm using sand, then an abuser of sand should fit on my team (at least one). Since Garchomp relies more on luck, I chose Excadrill first. With Rapid Spin, a god speed in sand, and a higher base Attack than Garchomp, what's not to like? However, I'm not using dual-weather, so I might be weak to Excadrill. I don't have very good counters to Excadrill, but with a Air Balloon and a Jolly Nature - AHA! A counter has been born! I don't miss out on many KOs with Jolly since I'm using Air Balloon. Rapid Spin since I don't have any spinners. Swords Dance brings my attack up to a frightening 738, with 606 speed. Rock Slide complements EQ well, so it's there.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
I needed a Spiker. I have a spinner. I'm playing with sand. Result: Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is probably the best spiker in sandstorm. With Leech Seed, Protect , sandstorm and Iron Barbs, I can do quite a number to the opponent without ever actually attacking. Power Whip is just there for Kyogre and Groudon without Fire-type moves, plus whatever random thing I need to hit, like a Smashed Omastar under rain.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Dragon Tail
Palkia was in Giratina's slot last time, but it didn't help against EKiller, which was giving me huge problems. The best check to EKiller in the world is probably Physically Defensive Giratina. I use to run WoW over Roar, but it barely helped, as most Arceus carried Lum, and most other pokemon will kill it outright. To prevent Sleep Talk from choosing the wrong move, I gave it Roar instead. This pokemon is on my team to check EKiller, phaze, wall, and spinblock.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spd
Bold Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Judgement
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Rockceus is on my team to check the two things that used to give me huge problems: Rayquaza and Specs Kyurem-W. With the sandstorm boost, Specs Kyurem-W can't 2HKO it with Ice Beam. Maximum HP to maximise overall bulk, 168 Spd EVs to outspeed +ve base 95s, most notably Kyurem-W, but also SDRay. The rest is dumped into defence. I have to switch into Rayquaza instantly (on DD/SD/any move actually), then Judgement it to its death. I couldn't find an animated picture sorry.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Toxic
This pokemon was just recently added, so I'm still testing him out. Garchomp was originally in this slot, but apparently Sand Veil didn't work, as Power Whip hit most of the time. Also, I found that I'm extremely weak to Rayquaza and Kyurem-W, as Rayquaza rapes my entire team after 1 turn of setup. With Air Lock, Excadrill cannot revenge, hence the need for Terrakion. As for Kyurem-W, Specs is becoming common and it 2HKOs my entire team with Ice Beam. With Terrakion, I can now revenge kill it or even switch into it (Terrakion takes about 75% from Specs Ice Beam in sand iirc). Scizor isn't viable as it OHKOs neither one of the threats mentioned. The EVs and moveset is obvious, but Toxic is mainly for crippling common Terrakion switch-ins, despite my Scarf.

I hope that after reading this team, you'll provide it with constructive critism!
Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SDef
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
Arceus (Arceus-Rock) @ Stone Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SDef
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect
- Power Whip
Giratina @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Dragon Tail
Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 204 SAtk / 192 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Refresh

Ubers Threat List

Arceus
:
Arceus-Bug:
Arceus-Dark:
Arceus-Dragon:
Arceus-Electric:
Arceus-Fighting:
Arceus-Fire:
Arceus-Flying:
Arceus-Ghost:
Arceus-Grass:
Arceus-Ground:
Arceus-Ice:
Arceus-Poison:
Arceus-Psychic:
Arceus-Rock:
Arceus-Steel:
Arceus-Water:
Blaziken: Giratina can survive just about anything except maybe a LO +6 sun-boosted Flare Blitz, then Dragon Tail it out.
Darkrai:
Deoxys: See Deoxys-A, but generally outclassed by it.
Deoxys-A: Latias takes less than 50% from Shadow Ball from Focus Sash set, and 17% from Superpower, so I normally lead with T-tar to start sand and break its sash then switch to Latias and kill. LO sets are much less common, so I have more problems, as they deal too much to Latias, but I normally can survive. Even if I don't (crit or sth), I can use Excadrill to kill it.
Deoxys-S: Lol T-tar leads off and Crunches since they are usually leads.
Dialga:
Excadrill: My own Excadrill has Air Balloon so it's not KOed by anything, KOing back with EQ. If he has Air Balloon and runs Adamant, I still outspeed and break the balloon then KO. If his set is same as mine, well, luck I guess. I can always count on Giratina (and possibly Latias, since it shouldn't be carrying X-Scissor/Shadow Claw).
Garchomp:
Giratina:
Giratina-O:
Groudon:
Ho-Oh:
Kyogre:
Lugia:
Manaphy:
Mewtwo: T-tar is not OHKOed even by SpecsMewtwo's Aura Sphere, doing 80+% back with Crunch, then I switch to Latias or Rockceus. Or maybe just skip T-tar.
Palkia:
Rayquaza:
Reshiram:
Shaymin-S:
Thundurus:
Zekrom:

Non-Ubers

Bisharp: Giratina can take anything and force it out with Roar. Even better if it chooses Sucker Punch or Stone Edge > Night Slash. I never see it anyway, since people prefer EKiller.
Blissey: T-tar traps it and does about 75% with Pursuit (assuming it switches, which is always). Excadrill can set up on it since it's gonna switch, Giratina can phaze and Rest of all statuses, Ferrothorn can use Leech Seed then set up Spikes.
Chansey:
Deoxys-D:
Dugtrio:
Espeon:
Whimsicott:
Forretress:
Gastrodon:
Gengar:
Haxorus:
Heatran:
Heracross:
Jirachi:
Kingdra:
Kyurem:
Latias: T-tar can come in and trap with Pursuit, while tanking hits due to the 50% buff to its SDef. Ferrothorn annoys those without Sub/HP Fire.
Latios: Same as above, but they probably have HP Fire.
Lucario:
Ludicolo:
Mew:
Metagross:
Ferrothorn:
Hydreigon:
Quagsire:
Salamence:
Scizor:
Chandelure:
Shedinja: lol
Skarmory:
Tentacruel:
Terrakion:
Tornadus:
Tyranitar:
Victini:​

Wobbuffet:​

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey, lousy49, as you asked me on PM, I am here with a rate for your team.

To begin with, may I ask why didn't you consider Iron Head on Excadrill? It allows Excadrill to get past things such as Giratina-O and Grass Arceus, that made it waste a moveslot in order to defeat before it got it. Use it over Rock Slide, as your coverage still does not change much, besides Ho-Oh, which I'll get to later!

Next, in order to avoid your team being 6-0'd by opponent Gliscor, I highly recommend running Refresh over Psyshock on Latias. By doing that, Latias can freely switch into Gliscor, Dragon Pulse to break its Substitute, and easily cure its poison. It also gives Latias a little bit more freedom, as it's your main plan against opposing Kyogre (backups: Ferrothorn, Giratina + Tyranitar's Pursuit).

The next thing I would like to relate to is Terrakion. It seems to me that while it does check Rayquaza and the new Kyurem formes, it limits your freedom. Therefore, switching it with something that more comfortably counters Rayquaza and Kyurem formes, would aid your team, in my opinion. I am obviously talking about Rock Arceus:

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Judgment

Rock Arceus can easily patch up your weaknesses to Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, and the Kyurem formes. Thanks to Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability, Rock Arceus's monsterous base 120 SpD is automatically +1, which can really be useful against Kyurem-W and Mixed Rayquaza. The EVs allow Rock Arceus outspeed base 90's, namely Zekrom, Kyogre, and Groudon, and shrug off +1 LO Jolly Rayquaza's EQ, as it will only top at 80% (Adamant has only 6.25% to KO with Stealth Rock!). Since you don't have Will-O-Wisp on Giratina, it's put here to deal with Extreme Killer better.

You can give Will-O-Wisp > Roar on Giratina another shot, and then give Refresh to Rock Arceus to avoid burns from Ho-Oh's signature move, Sacred Fire, but either way it should work. Up to you.

• Iron Head > Rock Slide on Excadrill
  • Refresh > Psyshock on Latias
  • Rock Arceus > Terrakion
  • OPTIONAL: Will-O-Wisp > Roar on Giratina, Refresh > Will-O-Wisp on Rock Arceus

Good Luck!

Rock Arceus's evs:
Timid Nature

You gain more stat points by running enough speed to outspeed base 90s and then placing the rest of the evs in defense with a bold nature.
Excadrill holds air balloon so Gliscor can not touch it.

Hey, lousy49, as you asked me on PM, I am here with a rate for your team.

To begin with, may I ask why didn't you consider Iron Head on Excadrill? It allows Excadrill to get past things such as Giratina-O and Grass Arceus, that made it waste a moveslot in order to defeat before it got it. Use it over Rock Slide, as your coverage still does not change much, besides Ho-Oh, which I'll get to later!

Next, in order to avoid your team being 6-0'd by opponent Gliscor, I highly recommend running Refresh over Psyshock on Latias. By doing that, Latias can freely switch into Gliscor, Dragon Pulse to break its Substitute, and easily cure its poison. It also gives Latias a little bit more freedom, as it's your main plan against opposing Kyogre (backups: Ferrothorn, Giratina + Tyranitar's Pursuit).

The next thing I would like to relate to is Terrakion. It seems to me that while it does check Rayquaza and the new Kyurem formes, it limits your freedom. Therefore, switching it with something that more comfortably counters Rayquaza and Kyurem formes, would aid your team, in my opinion. I am obviously talking about Rock Arceus:

Timid Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Judgment

Rock Arceus can easily patch up your weaknesses to Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, and the Kyurem formes. Thanks to Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability, Rock Arceus's monsterous base 120 SpD is automatically +1, which can really be useful against Kyurem-W and Mixed Rayquaza. The EVs allow Rock Arceus outspeed base 90's, namely Zekrom, Kyogre, and Groudon, and shrug off +1 LO Jolly Rayquaza's EQ, as it will only top at 80% (Adamant has only 6.25% to KO with Stealth Rock!). Since you don't have Will-O-Wisp on Giratina, it's put here to deal with Extreme Killer better.

You can give Will-O-Wisp > Roar on Giratina another shot, and then give Refresh to Rock Arceus to avoid burns from Ho-Oh's signature move, Sacred Fire, but either way it should work. Up to you.

• Iron Head > Rock Slide on Excadrill
  • Refresh > Psyshock on Latias
  • Rock Arceus > Terrakion
  • OPTIONAL: Will-O-Wisp > Roar on Giratina, Refresh > Will-O-Wisp on Rock Arceus

• Good Luck!

• I didn't think of Iron Head previously as Steel was a lousy attacking type, but now that you mentioned it, I realised that it has good coverage with EQ, so I'm adding it. I'll try out Refresh on Latias, and Rockceus is now on my team. I changed the EVs to outspeed +ve base 95s, such as Specs Kyurem-W.

Rock Arceus's evs:
    Timid Nature

You gain more stat points by running enough speed to outspeed base 90s and then placing the rest of the evs in defense with a bold nature.
    Excadrill holds air balloon so Gliscor can not touch it.
    Mm-hmm, you're right. I was gonna say that at first.

Hi, I just stumbled upon this RMT and I'm not sure if you're still looking for a rate, but here I go anyway.

As someone who has been using sandstorm a lot himself, I can relate to the potential threats you might face. By looking at your team right now, it seems that Excadrill is holding a Life Orb and Latias now has Psyshock. Although this covers up certain problems, it turns Gliscor into a huge threat. Like Furry suggested, using Refresh over Psyshock on Latias would be a great answer to Gliscor, but Psyshock protects you against several threats at the moment as well, mainly Arceus-Fighting.

Calm Mind Arceus-Fighting is an enormous threat to most sandstorm teams, including this one. With STAB Judgment + Ice Beam / Dark Pulse coverage it has a super-effective move against all of your Pokémon. Excadrill's Earthquake is capable of doing a lot of damage and Giratina can stomach one Ice Beam to then phaze it out to hopefully bring it into Excadrill's killing range. A suggestion I would like to make is using Perish Song over either Calm Mind or Will-O-Wisp on Arceus-Rock. Perish Song is an amazing option for Arceus-Rock that prevents powerful last Pokémon sweepers such as Bulk Up Dialga (Excadrill also does well against it, provided that Excadrill is still quite healthy and Dialga hasn't set up too many Bulk Ups yet.) and Calm Mind Arceus-Fighting. If you decide on replacing Will-O-Wisp on Arceus-Rock, then I would also recommend going for Will-O-Wisp over either Roar or Dragon Tail on Giratina.

Finally, to summarize my suggestions:
- Refresh > Psyshock on Latias
- Perish Song > Calm Mind / Will-O-Wisp on Arceus-Rock
- (Possibly) Will-O-Wisp over Roar / Dragon Tail on Giratina

I'm sorry if this is a little too late, but I hope my suggestions are useful! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)