1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Want to write for The Smog? (Yes, you do!)

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by Jimbo, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaps15853

chaps15853

What about a continuous article on following a new to the game player learning his way through the ladder? It'd be good, especially if the new player is in the apprentice program here.
  2. Xia

Xia aka Lone Gansel
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I would be interested in writing articles that someone suggests (I have few ideas at the moment).

Examples of my work can be found in many of the on-site analyses, including Clefable and Spiritomb's, as well as the Belly Drum guide. Many examples of my grammar checking "skill" can be found in the UU and Project: Concise subforums of C&C (if specific posts are necessary I'd be happy to provide them).
  3. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I cannot emphasize this enough. The Smog is suffering from no shortage of "potential writers", and just posting here saying "i want to write" probably won't get you far.

If you really want to write for The Smog, come prepared. If you actually PM someone an article concept that works, your chances of writing for The Smog are INFINITELY higher than if you just say "i wanna write" in this thread.

If you really don't want to write, but you think you have a good idea, you can still feel free to post it here and we will recruit someone to write it. If your idea is accepted, you will get a mention in The Smog for suggesting the concept for the article!
  4. Skymin_Flower

Skymin_Flower It's Seed Flare time.

I would love to contribute, but the only forum i spend much time on here is Smeargles Studio. I would like to write if someone gave me an idea however
  5. Hot Nikkels

Hot Nikkels

Would the writing be exclusively about playing pokemon? I haven't played D/P very much but was very active in the ADV days, and if I may say, I'm an above decent writer.
  6. Alan

Alan

I would like to write an article as I really have nothing important to do these days, and I'm (or at least used to be) a pretty decent writer.

EDIT: I was thinking it would be pretty cool, maybe, to "interview" people and ask them what they like/dislike about the current metagame (OU) and what changes they would like to see, be it soon or in gen 5 to help "balance out" the pokemon that dominate it at the moment.

EDIT 2: It appears that this was suggested below, but without the interview part.
  7. Vaz

Vaz

I would love to write for the smog magazine! My particular areas of expertise are in OU, NU, most info on CAP (I have been reading and keeping up with the CAP10 results), I like doing RMTs. Doing a type analysis could be both fun and interesting for me, exploring the various components of the type and what it is majorly used as. I would take just about any position given to me as I would just love to write for this!
  8. Steven Snype

Steven Snype
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I thought of this topic: What the ideal metagame should be. The author(s) could talk about how our current metagames stand and what it should be.
  9. Bucky

Bucky

I'd absolutely love to contribute to the art portion of the Smog. I don't really have a portfolio going yet, but I have a few examples in my Album on my profile. I'm not sure if there are specific things needed as far as illustrations for the articles, but I'd love to contribute.

I'd also like to write an article for the Smog. Unfortunately I don't have any brilliant ideas to contribute, but I'm an excellent writer & editor and if anyone has a potential article that needs retouching, I'd be glad to help.
  10. magickzzl

magickzzl

I could also do some art for you guys. my actualy portfolio expired, but I did Alakapimps Av in like 20min.... with kids pencils... lol
  11. STALL MAN

STALL MAN

What about past generations?

I would like to write an article about battling in gens 1 and II in the next issue of the smog. If you are an admin reading this please send a response to this e-mail adress:
    andrew.thompson70@education.nsw.gov.au
    :nerd::nerd::nerd:
  12. Brammi

Brammi

I think that some sort of feature on up-and-coming talent. I have seen some skillful upsets. I tend to find then happening in the lesser used teirs more often. Anyways, if some new talent is coming through and say a mod or well known battler notices their battle potential they could be featured in a match in their favorite teir with an accomplished battler.
    Similar to the Battle Of the Week segment but with a focus on lesser known but talented players.
  13. Vaz

Vaz

Now this could be an interesting one. I could write up a small pokemon story consisting of a drama between several individuals or groups of pokemon.
  14. Ulysses

Ulysses

Personally, if I can get back in the game, I'd love to potentially write an article or two. It would be a great way to get noticed, and personally I love to write.
  15. pkmntrainerblue

pkmntrainerblue

Well i think that I am a pretty good writer and I am working on a steel type analysis and I am not sure who I should PM it to when I am done. I am hoping to have it done either by tonight or by Monday (sunday is Easter)
  16. az

az I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

type analyses are recurring articles and handled by writers already involved in the smog. as i understand it, the steel analysis is already being taken care of
  17. pkmntrainerblue

pkmntrainerblue

Oh sorry what other types have not been taken? I looked at the Smog issues 1-7 (all of them) and saw nobody had done steel yet.
  18. ZandgaiaX

ZandgaiaX

Though I rather not write serious stuff like this, I do have an idea for smog. A section called Suprise of the month, like say a new set(Enough) or a super usage increase(Like venusaur)
  19. Divock

Divock

I think that I can do something cool.

I may not be the most knowledgeable about the Metagame, but I have been playing since Pokemon came out and I believe I can write something pretty dang good if I am given the chance. While yes, I know this is a COMPETITIVE pokemon site, I'd like to point out that there are other things to talk about concerning pokemon, such as recurring game trends, and stuff like that. it may not be the most helpful for fighting or something, but it is something that can be interesting to talk about. So, OFF TO WORD!
  20. Echo-Landon

Echo-Landon

I think I am a pretty good writer. And I do have some good ideas I would like to be heard. Grantided I'm a little opinionated, but I usually have no trouble filling up half a page with a pokemon or analysing something right down to the bone. Or even comming up with new vantage points on old pokemon.

Tusk (Bulky lead mamo) and Flamberge (Bulky scizor) I'd have to say are the most creative and most useful things I've done. I do have the capacity to write about other things aswell, as I have some sort of opinion about every pokemon within the metagame, and a few that were excluded.
  21. Destiny Warrior

Destiny Warrior also known as Darkwing_Duck
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I would like to make a small suggestion. How about somebody writes an LC RMT article(like the OU, Uber, and UU RMT's that come in the Smog)? There are a few peopl(like me) who would love to learn by reading the analysis of an LC team in the SMog.
  22. The 1 and Only Lady Gaga

The 1 and Only Lady Gaga

A suggestion, how about a section called "Underrated movesets"?
  23. gengduck

gengduck

I would be happy to write for the smog.
    I would like to write a new article to suggest a new tier between OU and UU
    using existing BL, lower tier OU (like Dusknoir and Weavile) and higher tier UU (like clefable and azumaril).
  24. Thorns

Thorns

there is never going to be a playable tier in between ou and uu, cause that would just be another uu >_>
  25. orius747

orius747

I'm actually a (fairly) accomplished freelance writer, so if you need anything edited you can send it to me in a personal message and I'll edit it for you, and edit it well.
    Note: Usually I get paid for this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)