Want to write for The Smog? (Yes, you do!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to write some Featured Pokemon articles and some general strategy articles. I think I could do a good job.

I sent SDS a pm about this; seems he never responded...

I think an article which sort of chronicles and recaps the 4th gen would be interesting. It could include some info on some changes to game mechanics, the game cartriges themselves, which pokemon became more useful or not, how platinum and hgss changed the metagame, etc. I think it would be a neat article to "send off" the 4th gen. (Assuming the next issue comes out around the release of black/white.)

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to see some articles about different battle styles. It seems like there are too many theme based teams, and all of them fit under the the umbrellas of Stall and Offensive, with a third category being "balanced." I remember a term that I haven't seen in a while, called "goodstuffs." It would be nice to see an article about goodstuffs, and what a team requires. It can discuss the synergy between spinners, a hazard layers, certain walls that work well, and viable sweepers. Admittedly I use theme teams such as Trick Room and Hail as my MAIN teams, but I am quickly moving towards more straightforward strategies. I am willing to go hardcore into battling and collecting a lot of data, and possibly writing something up. If anyone else has better ideas, I am always willing to edit. I am a stickler for grammar and spelling, so I can be helpful in that aspect as well. Is anyone interested?

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Though I do not have any ideas to write about, I would love to write about another member's idea or something that is generally featured in basically all of the issues of the Smog.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
An idea for the smog is making an article for good synergy pairs. Or synergy in general. I think it could help newer members learn advanced skills faster.

How about an article about Pokemon and real life for young adults (age >17), e.g. Gouki beats the Smogon Battle Frontier, does (s)he put in so much time that the rest of his life suffers? Is it possible to excel at studies as well as Pokemon? What about other extra-curriculars? Pokemon is pretty stereotyped against, as is video gaming in general (Pokemon counts as a video game I think). Does it become harder for Gouki to join a good university / get a job because of this stereotype? What about finding a girlfriend / boyfriend? Do people think (s)he's childish for playing Pokemon? What can be done about it?

If, as Jabba implies in Smog issue #6, competitive battling is something to be hidden from everyone else's knowledge, why even get started in the first place? Why not pick up some other, more orthodox pastime like Chess that you can use to impress other people with?

I wouldn't mind writing an article if anyone has any ideas that they don't have time to explore.

EDIT: How about a Heavy Offense article? :D

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have an idea, and I wouldn't mind writing it myself. My idea is: Arceus' (farceus') effect on the Uber metagame. Some Pokemon become more viable (such as Skarmory) due to their ability to handle some Arceus sets. Mainly, however, the article would focus on some of the viable sets Arceus can run and the overall effect it has on Ubers (its basically like adding 16.5 Pokemon- as GreatSage would say).

The other evening, I had the idea to write an article on whether or not Stealth Rock is broken. I'd bring up examples, like Yanmega and Moltres, which would both be much more viable in OU without SR. Moltres's ability to switch into Infernape and Heatran. Other examples would be Gyarados and Salamence.

I would like to contribute to Smogon by writing articles, however, I don't really know what to write about yet. I could use ideas and if I come up with my own ideas, then, I can probably add that to my writing about it, too. I have one question: What are qualifications do I need to become a writer here in the Smogon community?

I can grammar check if you need it, although browsing through the Smog's articles it doesn't really seem needed.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
A 'breaking FWG' article would maybe be a good idea - there are quite a few pokes that completely trash Celebi / Heatran / Suicune or whatever and an article about sets like Chesto Kingdra, LO Starmie etc. would be interesting, no?

Hello, I have written an interesting article about the Top 10 Leads of July. It is in the section of Contributions and Maybe you are interested about posting it in the next edition of the Smog?

Please get back to me!

Thanks in advance

If you are still looking for writers I would be more than happy to help; I consider myself a fairly good writer and I have been an English and writing tutor in college for some time now, so I feel I have the basic credentials covered. I tend to focus mainly on the Ubers metagame, so if possible (and if selected), I would like to work on at least some articles pertaining to that tier. Thanks for your consideration!

I wish i can write, but i have bad english and not to mention i can type Like This That Hurts People Eyes.

I have some ideas though, maybe you want to hear them out!

Peace ^^

I Would definitely be willing to write an article, whether it be a type analysis or whatever else you could throw at me. I know my low post count could turn people off though. Been Competitive Battling for a while, but never bothered to stop lurking and actually join the forum.

I guess I might as well say I consider myself a decent writer, and I certainly have the time to write stuff up. So if you're still looking, I'd definitely be interested.

I am in high school, and a write a LOT of essays; I consider myself both proficient in the practice of prose, :P, and as concise as this post. I'll transform ideas into words.

A 'breaking FWG' article would maybe be a good idea - there are quite a few pokes that completely trash Celebi / Heatran / Suicune or whatever and an article about sets like Chesto Kingdra, LO Starmie etc. would be interesting, no?
Don't forget LO Staraptor! ^_^

I'd love to write something on Gravity.

I thought of a topic featuring CAP 11 and how DougJustDoug contributed most of it. It maybe entitled: "CaP 11- CaPJustCaP"

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)