1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Warning: Stealth Rock Hazard (Hyper Offense)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by BettaOffDead, Feb 11, 2013.

1. BettaOffDead

BettaOffDead

Hi. This is one of the most successful teams I've ever made peaking at 1760 CRE on Showdown. The basic idea of this team is to set up hazards with Deoxys-D and the I take advantage of the accumulated stealth rock damage on the opponent's team and sweep.

[​IMG]

Deoxys-Defense @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt
    - Skill Swap

This is my lead. I'll admit I borrowed this moveset as I saw it posted somewhere on here. Spikes and stealth rock are there for obvious reasons. Taunt is there to basically stop what I can from setting up since Deoxys-D is prone to having people think that they can set up on me easily. Skill swap is there to help me deal with magic bounce users such as Espeon and Xatu. As you can see I also have mental herb on it too, which is very useful for stopping faster Taunt users.

[​IMG]

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Pain Split

This is my spin blocker. I chose Gengar as my spin blocker because it's quit fast with base 110 speed and very offensive meaning it fits in very well with the theme of my team, hyper offense. Pain Split acts like a third attacking move capable of muscling through typical counters with massive HP stats such as Blissey, Chansey, and Snorlax. Thanks to pain split it's possible to 2HKO Blissey with focus blast.

[​IMG]

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Scizor is another hyper offensive pokemon that fits with the theme of my team. With a Choice ban scizor is very powerful. With stealth rocks and spikes up Scizor can threaten a lot of switch ins with its bullet punch. Superpower is also avery useful move. It's fun to come in with scizor expecting me to mindlessly spam bullet punch while I smack their Magnezone or Ferrothorn with a super power. Pursuit is there to trap Latios and Latias and other psychic types. Bug Bite is another Stab move that gets boosted thanks to technician.

[​IMG]

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flamethrower
    - Superpower

This guy is arguably the most valuable member of my team, other than my Deoxys-D, of course. This is a mixed attacking set, which is capable of destroying many stall cores. Draco metoeor is the obigatory special STAB move which does lots of damage to everything that doesn't resist it. Dark pulse is another STAB attack, Flamethrower is here over fire blast because I generally try to use the more accurate option if possible. Helps for killing pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Superpower demolishes Blissey and Chansey.

[​IMG]

Alakazam @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

How can you not love that mustache? Alakazam is one of my favorite pokemon and it isn't bad in battle either. With life orb Alakazam hits lots of things like a truck . The combinattion of psychock, shadow ball, and focus blast (Please let this thing get aura sphere or something in 6th gen) give alakazam great coverage. HP fire is good for dealing with bulky steels like Ferrothorn and is great for when I don't want to use focus miss but need an super effective attack. Alakzam is also the natual speed of my team as it naturally ioutruns everything in OU not named Jolteon

[​IMG]

Terrakion @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - X-Scissor

Terrakion is a very strong pokemon with a decent move pool, so why not take advantage of the movepool? Close combat and stone edge are his STAB coverage moves while earthquake and x scissor are there to hit things like toxicroak, electric types psychic types etc. Its resistance to stealth rock is also a plus. The life orb allows Terrrakion to gain power without locking himself in one move which is very useful. It's also a very good late game sweeper that can finish off that opponent's team.
  2. Bearded Dragonite

Bearded Dragonite

Solid team! Especially the (sort of) original Skill Swap Deoxys. The only thing I would change at first glance is Terrakion's item, since your team is vulnerable against HP Ice Jolteon (who resists Bullet Punch & outruns your entire team) and Choice Scarf users. So for that reason, although you don't like the idea of locking him into one move, I'd still go for the Choice Scarf on Terrakion, allowing you to outspeed & revenge kill most opponents.

Also, despite Pain Split, Gengar's poor durability may disrupt his role as your sole Spinblocker (one misprediction & it's a Crunch or Pursuit to the face), so as cool as Skill Swap on Deoxys is, I'd consider swapping it out for Recover so Deoxys receives more setup options.

Great work overall, though! :)
  3. BettaOffDead

BettaOffDead

Thanks for the suggestions. About the Deoxys-D thing, I feel like I'll be a lot more vulnerable to Espeon and Xatu with their magic bounce without skill swap. It's important to note that there are more Espeon on the ladder than Deoxys-D.
  4. YungHungCrock

YungHungCrock

Hi, looks like a pretty solid HO team, but I’m worried it will turn out a bit slow if things start to not go your way. If Salamence or Dragonite (and I guess the rarer Haxorus) start Dragon Dancing, you’ve got no real answer.

To combat this, I’ve got two ideas:
    -Change Alakazam’s item to Focus Sash, and HP to Ice. Focus sash allows it to tank any hit (+never broken by rocks/spikes/sand), and hit back hard. HP Ice OHKO’s Salamence always, and Dragonite after SR. HP Fire isn't really necessary, you've got other ways of getting through Steel types.
    -I’ll also suggest that you turn Terrakion into its Double Dance set. This still allows you some freedom to switch between STABs, as well as the freedom to set up based on the opponents team (SD to power through walls, RP to outspeed other offensive teams). I'll suggest keeping Life Orb over Air Balloon, since with 2 Levitate users your opponent shouldn't be spamming Earthquakes, and you can make them pay if they do.

And last, why the IV's at 30 on Gengar? I'm not sure I see why they're being lowered.

Terrakion
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Rock Polish
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge

Alakazam
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Alakazam (F) @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Shadow Ball

Good luck with the team!
  5. Subject 18

Subject 18 Forever childish.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

Solid team you have going there. You have good synergy going on and I applaud you on that. Now on to the rate.

I would first suggest changing Deoxys's set. Skill Swap can work at times but is kinda gimmicky. I would replace it Night Shade as this give you a method to wear down the opposing lead.

Secondly, on Scizor I would use U-Turn --> Bug Bite. Small change but this give you a way to scout and switch into the appropriate pokemon to deal with what is currently out. Then use 30 Speed IVs to go second against other Scizor's as you both U-Turn out so you can see what he sends out and act accordingly.

Set
    Scizor
    Show Hide
    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 30 Spd
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

I would also recommend using Focus Sash over Life Orb as this gives you a better chance to clean late game. I would also suggest using Hidden Power Ice over Hidden Power Fire. This gives you a way to deal with opposing dragons.

Set
    Alakazam
    Show Hide
    Alakazam @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Focus Blast
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball

Lastly, on Terrakion I would run Sacred Sword over Earthquake. The coverage is a bit redundant and Sacred Sword gives you a Fighting STAB against Ferrothorn without getting the defense drop.

Hope that helps. Good Luck

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)