Warstories for PS

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
So, yeah, I'm still finishing up the replay viewer and warstory generator for PS, but in the meantime enjoy a NEXT warstory:

-----------------

Hello, and welcome to the first PS warstory generated by the PS warstory generator.

This is the story of my NEXT battle with Snowflakes. NEXT is a format that's basically "what fifth gen would be if Zarel had made it instead of Game Freak". It's fifth gen with some balance changes that hopefully make OU more fun.

Zarel's team

Snowflakes's team

My team is a sun team. Weather's been turned upside-down in NEXT: weather inducing abilities no longer induce permanent weather, but Cherrim and Castform can summon permanent weather using the corresponding move (which is now priority). My Heatran also has Sunny Day, as a backup.

My team isn't really a very strong sun team. It's mostly there to play with some NEXT changes: Charizard only takes 25% SR damage in NEXT, Cherrim can summon permanent sun with priority Sunny Day, and can pass a SpD boost to whatever switches in after it, and Technician Roserade can abuse a variety of things.

Snowflakes has a fairly standard OU team. The only NEXT change is his Genesect, which can be either Bug/Water, Bug/Ice, Bug/Fire, or Bug/Electric depending on the equipped Drive. I'm annoyed by the fact that five of his mons resist Grass, four of which quad-resist Grass. My team can fire off many strong Grass attacks, but those won't be very useful.

He doesn't seem to be running weather. Unlike in OU, NEXT weather teams usually (but not always) run Cherrim or Castform. I consider it safe enough to bring out my weather inducer first-turn.

Format: [gennext] NEXT-OU
Battle between Zarel and Snowflakes started!

Zarel sent out Cherrim!

Snowflakes sent out Genesect!
The foe's Genesect's download raised its Attack!
The foe's Genesect has Douse Drive!

Snowflakes leads with Genesect-Douse, which is Bug/Water. I can get permanent Sun up with priority Sunny Day, and with Heatran as backup, I decide to risk sacrificing Cherrim to get sun up.

Turn 1

Cherrim used Sunny Day!
Cherrim's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
Cherrim transformed! (placeholder)
Cherrim's flowergift raised its Special Defense!

The foe's Genesect used U-turn!
It's super effective! Cherrim lost 100% of its health!

Cherrim fainted!

Snowflakes called Genesect back!

Snowflakes sent out Salamence!

Cherrim does, sadly, die to a +1 U-turn from Genesect, but at least I get sun up. My Donphan has Ice Shard, so it's a pretty big threat to Salamence, and I bring it out.

Zarel sent out Donphan!
Donphan's flowergift raised its Special Defense!

Snowflakes knows my Donphan runs Ice Shard, so I can count on him switching out. Even if he doesn't, my Donphan should be able to take anything Salamence can use, so I take the opportunity to set up rocks.

Turn 2

Snowflakes called Salamence back!

Snowflakes sent out Rotom-Wash!

Donphan used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

In the sun, Donphan isn't weak to Rotom-W, but with an offensive movepool of Ice Shard / Earthquake, I can't hit it with anything, either. I switch out to Sawsbuck, who resists Rotom-W's STABs and should be able to set up in its face.

Turn 3

Zarel called Donphan back!

Zarel sent out Sawsbuck!

The foe's Rotom-Wash used Substitute!
The foe's Rotom-Wash put in a substitute!
The foe's Rotom-Wash lost 25% of its health!

My Sawsbuck is your standard sun sweeper. Horrible defenses, but if I can take two hits from Rotom, I can set up a sweep with Swords Dance. I decide to risk it.

Turn 4

Sawsbuck used Swords Dance!
Sawsbuck's Attack sharply rose!

The foe's Rotom-Wash used Thunderbolt!
It's not very effective... Sawsbuck lost 48% of its health!
The foe's Rotom-Wash lost some of its HP!

48%! I was right.

Turn 5

Sawsbuck used Horn Leech!
It's super effective! The foe's Rotom-Wash's substitute faded!
The foe's Rotom-Wash had its energy drained!
Sawsbuck lost some of its HP!

The foe's Rotom-Wash used Thunderbolt!
It's not very effective... Sawsbuck lost 42% of its health!
The foe's Rotom-Wash lost some of its HP!

My first Horn Leech takes down his sub. He's probably going to switch out now, but with my HP at around 11%, I'm going to die extremely quickly without Horn Leech recovery, so my best option is to Horn Leech again.

Turn 6

Snowflakes called Rotom-Wash back!

Snowflakes sent out Latias!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Latias!

It's not very effective... The foe's Latias lost 51% of its health!
The foe's Latias had its energy drained!

The foe's Latias restored HP using its leftovers!

His Latias takes a surprising 51% from Horn Leech - it clearly isn't defensive. It's safe to Horn Leech again - I'm still not at very much HP.

Turn 7

Snowflakes called Latias back!

Snowflakes sent out Skarmory!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Skarmory!

It's not very effective... The foe's Skarmory lost 13% of its health!
The foe's Skarmory had its energy drained!

The foe's Skarmory restored HP using its leftovers!

Unsurprisingly, Horn Leech does nothing to Skarmory. My Sawsbuck runs Horn Leech / Return / Nature Power, so I'm forced to switch out. Only Charizard, Roserade, and Heatran can handle Skarmory well, but the previous two are running Choice sets, and since he still has a Fire immunity, I'm not going to lock myself into a Fire move. I bring in Heatran.

Turn 8

Zarel called Sawsbuck back!

Zarel sent out Heatran!

The foe's Skarmory used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!

A single layer of Spikes won't hurt me much. I predict him to switch to his own Heatran, expecting Fire Blast, so I use Earth Power.

Turn 9

Snowflakes called Skarmory back!

Heatran used Earth Power!
It doesn't affect the foe's Latias...

Unfortunately, he switches into Latias instead, which puts me in a bad position. Latias tends not to run any moves that can touch Heatran. I do know that his Latias isn't very defensive, my STAB Fire Blast in the sun coming off max SpA does a ton, even resisted, so I'm hoping Fire Blast can 2HKO.

Turn 10

The foe's Latias used Roost!
The foe's Latias regained health!

Heatran used Fire Blast!
The attack of Heatran missed!

Fire Blast misses, unfortunately, he gets a Roost off.

Turn 11

Snowflakes called Latias back!

Snowflakes sent out Rotom-Wash!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Rotom-Wash!

Heatran used Fire Blast!
It's not very effective... The foe's Rotom-Wash lost 43% of its health!

The foe's Rotom-Wash fainted!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Salamence!

He sacrifices Rotom and I never learn if Fire Blast can 2HKO.

I don't know if his Salamence will Earthquake or Dragon Dance, but either way Donphan's a good choice. 25% should be KO range for Ice Shard.

Turn 12

Zarel called Heatran back!

Zarel sent out Donphan!
Donphan is hurt by the spikes!

The foe's Salamence used Earthquake!
Donphan lost 30% of its health!

Donphan restored HP using its leftovers!

Donphan takes the Earthquake like a champ. Snowflakes still knows my Donphan has Ice Shard, so I take the opportunity to spin away the Spikes.

Turn 13

Snowflakes called Salamence back!

Donphan used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... The foe's Skarmory lost 2% of its health!
The spikes disappeared from around your team's feet!

As we know, Donphan can't touch Skarmory. To switch it up, I go to Roserade this time.

Turn 14

Zarel sent out Roserade!

Now here's a difficult moment. Roserade is running a Scarf set with SolarBeam / Weather Ball / Sludge / HP Ground, none of which are very good moves to get locked into right now.

He knows I have Weather Ball [Fire] (which is why I'm here to force out Skarmory), which make Heatran is his obvious switch. But he can probably guess I have HP Ground, and if his Heatran goes down, my Fire-types will rampage through the rest of his team, which is incredibly risky. His safest switch is something else: either Latias, Salamence, or Genesect, all of which are neutral to Sludge. With my fingers crossed, I click on Sludge.

Turn 15

Roserade used Sludge!
The foe's Latias lost 37% of its health!
The foe's Latias was poisoned!

The foe's Latias was hurt by poison!

And I'm right! If you didn't know, in NEXT, Sludge has 60 base power and always poisons, and Technician brings it up to 90 base power, making it a really strong move.

I Sludge again, hoping he doesn't know I'm scarfed.

Turn 16

Roserade used Sludge!
The foe's Latias lost 37% of its health!

The foe's Latias fainted!

Snowflakes sent out Heatran!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Heatran!

He doesn't, and I successfully KO his Latias, but now I'm forced out.

I've noticed he's never switched his own Heatran in on mine, and mine has max Speed and runs Earth Power, so I switch mine in.

Turn 17

Zarel called Roserade back!

Zarel sent out Heatran!
Heatran is hurt by the spikes!

The foe's Heatran used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!

Heatran restored HP using its leftovers!
The foe's Heatran restored HP using its leftovers!

If he doesn't run Earth Power (and giving his set, I don't think he does), he'll probably be forced out, which makes it a good time for me to Fire Blast.

Turn 18

Heatran used Fire Blast!
The foe's Heatran's Flash Fire raised the power of its Fire-type moves!

The foe's Heatran used Roar!

Pointed stones dug into Roserade!
Roserade is hurt by the spikes!

Unfortunately, he has Roar. Fortunately, my Roserade has HP Ground. I risk it.

Turn 19

The foe's Heatran used Protect!
The foe's Heatran protected itself!

Roserade used Hidden Power!
The foe's Heatran protected itself!

Well, now he knows I have HP Ground, and I'm locked into HP Ground, but on the bright side, he didn't switch into a Ground immunity. This gives me the chance to switch on his switch. With SR and Spikes on my side of the field, it's a good time to spin, and I bring in Donphan.

Turn 20

Zarel called Roserade back!

Zarel sent out Donphan!
Pointed stones dug into Donphan!

Snowflakes called Heatran back!

Excellent. I doubt his Skarmory can touch my Donphan, which gives me a great opportunity to Spin.

Turn 21

The foe's Skarmory used Roost!
The foe's Skarmory regained health!

Donphan used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... The foe's Skarmory lost 2% of its health!
The spikes disappeared from around your team's feet!
The pointed stones disappeared from around your team!

I briefly lament that I could've EQed and KOed his Skarmory on the Roost, but spinning will probably help me more in the long run, anyway.

In the meanwhile, Donphan still can't touch Skarmory, so it's time to bring in Charizard, the one Pokemon I haven't brought in on his Skarmory yet.

Turn 22

Zarel sent out Charizard!

Charizard is hurt by its Solar Power!

My Charizard runs a Scarf set. Fire Blast / Twister / Focus Blast / HP Ice. In NEXT, Twister is an 80 base power Flying move, but I won't be using it this battle.

Snowy still has a Heatran, so I'm not going to lock myself into Fire Blast. Focus Blast, on the other hand, should do plenty to either Skarmory or Heatran.

Turn 23

Charizard used Focus Blast!
The foe's Skarmory lost 89% of its health!

The foe's Skarmory used Whirlwind!

Heatran is hurt by the spikes!

Focus Blast is, unfortunately, not enough to take out his Skarmory, but fortunately, he's Whirlwinded me into a pretty good matchup, regardless. No longer fearing his Heatran, it's time to spam Fire Blast.

Turn 24

Snowflakes sent out Genesect!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Genesect!
The foe's Genesect's download raised its Special Attack!
The foe's Genesect has Douse Drive!

Heatran used Fire Blast!
The foe's Genesect lost 88% of its health!

The foe's Genesect fainted!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Salamence!

I take out his Genesect, and he brings in Salamence.

I still don't know what his Salamence's set is. Donphan's low enough that I don't want it to take a possible Outrage, and I'm not going to let him set up on me, and he's in Fire Blast KO range, and honestly the rest of my team can take on the rest of his team, so I Fire Blast.

Turn 25

The foe's Salamence used Earthquake!
It's super effective! Heatran lost 94% of its health!

Heatran fainted!
The foe's Salamence's moxie raised its Attack!

Zarel sent out Donphan!

I'm one Heatran down, and I still don't know what set that is. Either way, Donphan's Ice Shard will KO.

Turn 26

Donphan used Ice Shard!
It's super effective! The foe's Salamence lost 50% of its health!

The foe's Salamence fainted!

The foe's Skarmory fainted!

Snowflakes sent out Heatran!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Heatran!

Perhaps he didn't want to lose his Moxie boost, but he stays in, so now he's down to only Heatran. Considering I have three Ground move users left, two of which outspeed Heatran, something will be seriously wrong if I lose.

Turn 27

The foe's Heatran used Lava Plume!
Donphan lost 51% of its health!

Donphan fainted!

Zarel sent out Sawsbuck!
Sawsbuck is hurt by the spikes!

Turn 28

Sawsbuck used Nature Power!

Sawsbuck used Earthquake!
A critical hit! It's super effective! The foe's Heatran lost 94% of its health!

The foe's Heatran fainted!

Zarel won the battle!

Fortunately, I don't.

And so, due to a series of lucky predictions, I manage to defeat Snowflakes.

For those of you interested in NEXT, here's some details:

https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/mods/gennext/GEN-NEXT.md

You can challenge people to NEXT in Pokemon Showdown right now.

Snowflakes

Dango Dango Daikazoku
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got fucked. Zarel too good and predictions. But onto boasting about NEXT, this tier is pretty fun adding all cool changes that a lot of people in the community have input on it seems, Zarel seems open to ideas and like input of users so check out #shinx sometime and maybe we'll be talking about it. Only complaint about the damn tier is there's way to many fucking things to choose from that I can't decide on what to build my team around. GG Zarel, I seldom can defeat you lol.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Meh warstory all around. Bland battle, nothing really extremely ingenuitive from either side, and the commentary was flat. Also no props/slops or mvp.

Looking forward to replays though.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
warstory wasn't amazing, but i want to hear more about this NEXT thing. it feels both silly and interesting to create a "rebalanced" metagame. on the one hand, i feel like it's kinda pointless to start shuffling around mons with the dream of making everything viable... but on the other hand, trying to do so (even though it is a fruitless struggle) is a very interesting and fun process. what else has been changed and when will we be able to give it a test run? because if weatherless stall is viable in this metagame, then motherfucker i'm there

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Oh my goodness Zarel, I can't wait for this to be finished. Thank you so much for working this out; it means a lot to the Smogon Metagames community <3

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Meh warstory all around. Bland battle, nothing really extremely ingenuitive from either side, and the commentary was flat. Also no props/slops or mvp.

Looking forward to replays though.
NEXT has ruined a ton of moves; I hate how it functions.
I don't really get it - why post here about not enjoying it much, particularly without any contributing advice or ideas?

Anyway, nice work on the warstory maker. How is it going to work? Would you just feed in a log and it splits it up, adding Pokemon, and exports that to text ready for the forums?

GenNEXT is great fun, there's plenty of variation, and I'm really enjoying it. If you haven't played it, you should give it a shot.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't really get it - why post here about not enjoying it much, particularly without any contributing advice or ideas?
Well I figured I said what was crap although I will admit I didn't say much on how to improve it.

For your next warstory Zarel i'd add in more wittyness, and feature a more interesting battle. Either an extremely close one, or one highlighting unusual sets/teams. Oh yes, and go more indepth on what your thought process was turn by turn. Right now it's mostly kind of a bland "I did this, then I did this..." Give the reader a peek into your frame of mind!

GenNEXT is great fun, there's plenty of variation, and I'm really enjoying it. If you haven't played it, you should give it a shot.
Oh yeah seconding this. NEXT is pretty damn boss.

Dusk209

No relation.
I don't mean to insult gen NEXT, but here's a bit of a rant:

I'm not entirely sure I like the changes you made in gen next - I think I've said this before but I think more focus should be placed on balancing things that are already a part of the metagame instead of adding so many new threats you can't count them all. Also, cherrim/castform still kinda suck and I feel like they should stay that way. Maybe I've been playing too much OU, but it doesn't feel right to have extreme buffs given to such obscure pokemon. I know you compared said buffs to ditto, but in the case of ditto it makes a lot more sense flavor wise, and is a lot more thoughtful than just giving unown a custom item that gives it 2x special attack and speed. (Although the gossammerwing is a great idea)

Also, why the hell is drain punch a poison type move? D:<

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I don't mean to insult gen NEXT, but here's a bit of a rant:

I'm not entirely sure I like the changes you made in gen next - I think I've said this before but I think more focus should be placed on balancing things that are already a part of the metagame instead of adding so many new threats you can't count them all. Also, cherrim/castform still kinda suck and I feel like they should stay that way. Maybe I've been playing too much OU, but it doesn't feel right to have extreme buffs given to such obscure pokemon. I know you compared said buffs to ditto, but in the case of ditto it makes a lot more sense flavor wise, and is a lot more thoughtful than just giving unown a custom item that gives it 2x special attack and speed. (Although the gossammerwing is a great idea)

Also, why the hell is drain punch a poison type move? D:<
I mean, the stated goal of NEXT is to increase metagame diversity. The main point of other metagames is because OU gets boring after a while, but it's also annoying not being able to use your favorite pokemon in UU or whatever. So the hope is that the metagame gets a lot less centralized.

So, if you don't like metagame diversity, NEXT isn't for you.

Because the point is to increase diversity, anything with a gimmick is going to get improved until that gimmick is viable in OU. Unown's custom item is a hack to make it viable (since its base stats are otherwise horrid), but changing its type was imho a pretty good idea.

And Drain Punch is Poison-type because a Fighting-type drain move makes no sense, and Fighting already has tons of viable moves.

The changes in NEXT seem pretty cool, although I'm confused on the SR change. 25% damage to flying and 12.5% to everything else doesn't seem to make much sense; why are flying types singled out for this one? Maybe instead, 25% (2x) on double weakness to rock, 18.75% (1.5x) on single weakness, 12.5% normal, 9.375% (0.75x) on single resistance, 6.25% (0.5x) on double resistance?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Flying-types are singled out for extra SR damage because they're immune to Spikes.

I'm considering 18.75% damage to Flying-types instead, though, because 25% seems a bit strong considering SR does a guaranteed minimum 12.5% now.

GenNEXT is the best tier ever. Can't decide which is better, having a genNEXT warstory, or the fact that PS warstories are going to be up soon. :D

Is there any way to post suggestions for other changes? Like Keen eye more like Compound eyes, blaze, torrent, and overgrow working at 50%, doubling present's BP, volt switch and U-turn losing priority, and so on.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
volt switch and U-turn losing priority
o_O volt switch and uturn have neutral priority, and giving them negative priority will not make them any less useful... fast uturners might become less popular because they'll have to take a hit, but if they can force switches it'll still be worth it, and bulky ones like scizor will still be difficult to face. the point of uturn/volt switch is that they have lower priority than a hard switch - that's really all that matters.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Heard about Gen Next, didn't know anything about it though before this. Pretty cool.

When thinking about Gen Next, where is the Cloud Nine completely removing weather? I thought that would be like a given or something.

Since it seems discussion is here, I want to propose heart scale for Luvdisc, gives it 2*Speed and +1 priority on all moves.
Buff Thick Club to *2 attack, *1.5 def
Buff Stick to always crit with all moves.

Snowflakes

Dango Dango Daikazoku
I'm really looking forward to this Aeo, keep up the good work. Also, curly is easy to beat. :)
Says man who got beat by Liam with a random team when Liam has never played Gen 5 OU in his life. GOOD DAY YAMATA NO MAGIKARP.

Since it seems discussion is here, I want to propose heart scale for Luvdisc, gives it 2*Speed and +1 priority on all moves.
Buff Thick Club to *2 attack, *1.5 def
Buff Stick to always crit with all moves.
If anyone is looking to come up with ideas or discussions of NEXT metagame a good place to start is #shinx. it isn't 100% about NEXT but generally every night Zarel starts a conversation up about it asking for people to battle with too.

If anyone is looking to come up with ideas or discussions of NEXT metagame a good place to start is #shinx. it isn't 100% about NEXT but generally every night Zarel starts a conversation up about it asking for people to battle with too.
Dammit Zarel! You need to start up these conversations when I am in #shinx.

https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/mods/gennext/GEN-NEXT.md said:
Rotom-Heat: Heat Wave
Hnnnnngh I want to play some weird double version of NEXT just for this change. Cool stuff, can't wait to see the finished project!

When will Gen Next be on the "Look For A Battle" Screen? This is awesome. I just hate weather in general, so the Cherrim/Castform thing is awesome! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)