[Warstory] Battle of the Novice Trainers!

Well, after trying for 15 minutes, I decided I'm just not good at writing introductions. So here's a nice little battle I had on the Smogon server earlier today, against a fellow named PNTempest. It's not my first warstory (Here's my first), but it's the first one I commented myself. Since I never wrote one before, it's probably not all that good, but I really enjoyed this battle and thought it had quite a few good moments.

The Teams:

Boingo's (my) Team:

The great thing about this team is that I just threw a bunch of favourites and Pokémon I hadn’t tried before (Such as Eggy) together, and called it a team. If that doesn’t make for a GREAT battle/warstory, I don’t know what does. Note the horrendous Scizor weakness.

PNTempest’s Team:

My comments will look completely normal. Like this.
Log be fat.
Green means my team
Blue means my opponent's team
Chatter will be in Orange
Nicknames are removed (well, mostly); leftovers recovery will be omitted after the first time.

Rules: Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause

PNTempest sent out Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran).
Boingo sent out Pinsir (lvl 100 Pinsir).
PNTempest switched in Skarmory (lvl 100 Skarmory).
Boingo switched in Solrock (lvl 100 Solrock).

I start off with my anti-lead Pinsir, he sends out Heatran. He either thinks that my Pinsir is scarfed, or his Heatran doesn’t hold a scarf itself. Either way, he sends in Skarmory to laugh at the expected scarf’d earthquake. My Pinsir, however, isn’t scarfed, but I expect his Heatran to be, and so I send in my semi-Heatran counter, Solrock.

Solrock used Rock Polish.
Solrock's speed was sharply raised.
Skarmory used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!

Sigh. I loathe Stealth Rock. It cripples quite a few good Pokémon, and my team doesn’t like it. My bitching aside, he probably thinks Solrock can’t do too much to him and uses the opportunity to set up his rocks. I also use this turn to set up my rock. Get it? Funny guy I am.

Solrock used Overheat.
It's super effective!
Skarmory lost 82% of its health.
Solrock's special attack was harshly lowered.
Solrock lost 10% of its health.
Skarmory used Whirlwind.
Boingo switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Pointed stones dug into Starmie.
Starmie lost 12% of its health.
Starmie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Starmie restored 6% of its health.
Skarmory's leftovers restored its health a little!
Skarmory restored 6% of its health.

Hey kids, remember overheat Solrock? From DP Battle Tower? It’s back. In shoddy form. Sadly its special attack, even with Life Orb, is just too low to OHKO Skarmory, who blows Solrock away and drags out Starmie.

PNTempest switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey).
Starmie used Thunderbolt.
Blissey lost 9% of its health.
Blissey's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blissey restored 6% of its health.

I don’t want to get into wild predictions yet and fire some lightning at Skarm, but Blissey comes in to absorb it.

Starmie used Thunder Wave.
Blissey is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Blissey used Thunder Wave.
Starmie is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Starmie isn’t going to do anything to Blissey, so of course he expects a switch to some sort of physical sweeper. I’m sure he’s going to try and status my switch-in, and since status is no problem for a Starmie that’s about to switch out, I stay in one more turn to see if his Blissey carries Twave or Toxic. Again I make the dumb mistake of not using rapid spin, instead I uselessly paralyse Blissey back. I’m glad to see this Blissey knows Twave, because I have the perfect switch in for that.

Boingo switched in Mamoschwein (lvl 100 Mamoswine).
Pointed stones dug into Mamoschwein.
Mamoschwein lost 12% of its health.
It doesn't affect Mamoschwein...

He once more tries to paralyse my switch-in, but of course the Schwein doesn’t care. Blissey is not going to stay in.

In this battle I use a Cursing Mamoswine (named Mamoschwein) with EQ/Avalanche/Curse/Ice Shard. Now, I know he’s got Heatran and Skarmory. One walls my ice attacks, the other doesn’t care about Mamo’s mighty earthquakes and will phaze me away if I try to curse up. A true dilemma. I decide he wouldn’t want to risk his Heatran this early, and use Avalanche.

PNTempest switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran).
Mamoschwein used Avalanche.
It's not very effective...
Heatran lost 8% of its health.

Oh I’m sorry, did that tickle? I guessed wrong, and now I’m at disatvantage. Curse Schwein obviously has no speed Evs, and I still expect his Heatran to be scarfed. I go back to my previous ‘tran switch-in.

Boingo switched in Solrock (lvl 100 Solrock).
Pointed stones dug into Solrock.
Solrock lost 12% of its health.
Heatran used Overheat.
Solrock lost 78% of its health.
Boingo's Solrock fainted.
Heatran's special attack was harshly lowered.

Well, sorry kids, Heatran just destroyed the sun. Solrock is greeted by a face full of fire which does a lot more than I thought it would. Too bad it didn’t get to EQ ‘tran into oblivion.

6 – 5 PNTempest

Starmie used Rapid Spin.
Starmie blew away the spikes!
Blissey lost 4% of its health.

It’s easy to predict a -2 SpAtk Heatran switching out of this situation, and while he goes back to Bliss, I finally manage to get rid of the rocks…for now.

Same situation as before. Again, it’s “Heatran or Skarmory?” for me. This time I go with Earthquake aaaaaand….

Mamoschwein used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Skarmory…

Nyyaaaargh!! Damn you, 50% chance!

Mamoschwein used Curse.
Mamoschwein's speed was lowered.
Mamoschwein's attack was raised.
Mamoschwein's defence was raised.
Skarmory used Roost.
Skarmory restored 50% of its health.
Skarmory used Stealth Rock.
It doesn't affect Skarmory...

I didn’t want to switch and have my switch-in roared away, so I just used Curse. Next round I used Earthquake because I thought he’d either try to roost back to full health, or bring back Heatran. That didn’t work out.

Mamoschwein used Avalanche.
A critical hit!
Skarmory lost 64% of its health.
Skarmory used Whirlwind.

Avalanche gets a nice crit, and his whirlwind once more drags out Starmie and puts me in the better position.

PNTempest switched in Dugtrio (lvl 100 Dugtrio).
Starmie used Rapid Spin.
Starmie blew away the spikes!
Dugtrio lost 9% of its health.
Starmie is trapped!
Dugtrio used Sucker Punch.
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 89% of its health.
Dugtrio lost 10% of its health.
Starmie used Surf.
It's super effective!
Dugtrio lost 81% of its health.
PNTempest's Dugtrio fainted.

This time I remembered to rapid spin on the switch. And yea I actually tested if he’s one of these jokers that use Sand Veil Dugtrio. Better safe than sorry. Anyway, I can’t do anything but take the sucker punch, but Starmie survives and its surf finishes Dugtrio off.

5 – 5

PNTempest switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Boingo switched in Pinsir (lvl 100 Pinsir).
Starmie used Surf.
Pinsir lost 67% of its health.
Starmie used Surf.
Pinsir lost 33% of its health.
Boingo's Pinsir fainted.

Worst move ever. I didn’t think Starmie would hit me this hard and totally wasted a perfectly healthy Pinsir. I deserve to be laughed at for this and I accept my punishment.

5 – 4 PNTempest

Boingo switched in Exeggutor (lvl 100 Exeggutor).
Exeggutor used Sleep Powder.
Skarmory fell asleep!
Skarmory is fast asleep!
Exeggutor used Sunny Day.
The sun began to shine!
The sun continues to shine.
Exeggutor used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Skarmory lost 46% of its health.
PNTempest's Skarmory fainted.

AAW YEAH! Exeggutor takes out the metal crow! I really needed to get rid of that bird to make Mamoschwein’s life easier, so I went through with my plan, risking a Heatran switch in. My inconsiderate move of putting a sunny day user on a team that otherwise doesn’t profit from sun paid off on the first try!

4 – 4

Exeggutor used Sleep Powder.
Heatran fell asleep!
Heatran is fast asleep!
Heatran is fast asleep!

Not afraid of Heatran waking up early, I get Mamo back in the ring to Earthquake whatever he may throw at me. This should be a lot easier now, with Skarm gone.

PNTempest switched in Gallade (lvl 100 Gallade).
Gallade lost 66% of its health.
The sun faded.
Gallade's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gallade restored 6% of its health.

Understandably, he wasn’t daring enough to leave Heatran in and hope for it waking up just in time. Gallade comes in on Mamo’s EQ, and loses a good chunk of its health.

Gallade used Close Combat.
Exeggutor lost 42% of its health.
Gallade's defence was lowered.
Gallade's special defence was lowered.
PNTempest: damnit...executar...
PNTempest: >_> sp ftl
Boingo: heh

He knows that he now needs to get rid of the Schwein ASAP, but Exeggutor is there to foil his plans.

Gallade used Thunder Wave.
Exeggutor is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Exeggutor's Lum Berry cured its Paralysis!
Exeggutor used Energy Ball.
Gallade lost 43% of its health.

Lum Berry spares me some trouble. But even with the SpDef drop, Eggy’s ball of energy doesn’t KO Gallade, which sucks.

Boingo switched in Mamoschwein (lvl 100 Mamoswine ?).
Gallade used Thunder Wave.
Mamoschwein used Ice Shard.
Gallade lost 15% of its health.
PNTempest's Gallade fainted.

I thought he’d either try to paralyse Exeggutor again, or switch in his sleeping Heatran to take the Energy Ball/Hidden Power, so I brought in the answer to both these problems: Mamoschwein, who easily Ice Sharded Gallade out of the way.

4 – 3 Boingo

Starmie used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Exeggutor lost 58% of its health.
Boingo's Exeggutor fainted.
PNTempest: YES!
Boingo: aaaw
Starmie used Ice Beam.
Starmie lost 11% of its health.
Boingo's Starmie fainted.

Starmie was obviously going to surf Mamo, so I sent in Exeggutor to scare it away and maybe set up sunny day once more. Sadly he predicted the switch correctly and Ice Beam’d my poor Exeggutor. I brought in my own Starmie, but he outsped me and I didn’t even get to fire off my Thunderbolt.

3 - 2 PNTempest

Blissey lost 45% of its health.
A critical hit!
Blissey lost 61% of its health.
PNTempest's Blissey fainted.

Since his Starmie used Ice Beam to finish off my own Starmie, I figured it was either specs’d or scarfed, and brought back Mamo to take advantage of that. Knowing that Starmie is now his most valuable Poke because it can probably defeat Mamo and my not-yet-revealed last Pokémon, he calls it back and sends Blissey in, because obviously you don’t switch Heatran into Earthquakes. I get a crit on Blissey, which destorys the pink blob.

2 - 2

Heatran is fast asleep!
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 92% of its health.
PNTempest's Heatran fainted.

He doesn’t send Starmie back in yet. Heatran doesn’t wake up and bites the dust. Even though he’s now down to his last Pokémon, I realise that Starmie can easily dispose of MY last two team members, Mamoschwein and …Magmortar!

2 – 1 Boingo

Starmie used Surf.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Mamoschwein lost 88% of its health.
Boingo's Mamoschwein fainted.

Since my Mamo likes to curse a lot, it carries lots of Special Defense EVs, but Starmie gets a crit and the mighty mammoth faints at last. You did great, Schwein.

1 – 1

Boingo switched in Magmortar (lvl 100 Magmortar).
PNTempest: whoa...didn't see that coming

…yea, no one does. Too bad Magmortar didn’t get to do anything. Oh well, this was an enjoyable battle nonetheless. I select Thunderbolt as Magmortar’s move and get ready to congratulate my opponent on his victory.

Starmie used Surf.
It's super effective!
Magmortar lost 86% of its health.
Magmortar used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 100% of its health.
PNTempest's Starmie fainted.
Boingo wins!

Except wait a second, WHAT? Yea Magmortar has okay Special Defense, but…just WHAT? Apparently he didn’t put many Special Attack EVs on his Starmie, if any. In the end I get an unexpected victory, although normally Starmie should have easily knocked Magmortar out.

PROPS:

- PNTempest for this fun battle
- Exeggutor, for helping me out big time by taking down Skarm and putting Heatran into sleep mode!!
- Mamoschwein, for sweeping, and just being great.
- Skarmbliss, for still being annoying
- His Starmie, for being very scary in the end, and not OHKOing my Magmortar

SLOPS:

- ME, for wasting Pinsir and not taking down stealth rock earlier
- Solrock, for not getting to do too much

Did you know that this was one of PNtempest first shoddy battles. I know him from Gfaqs and he just posted some logs with that team yesterday.

I enjoyed the battle and there was some good prediction from both sides. You must thank your mamoschwein for winning the match ;)

I really wish Pinsir, Magmortar, and Solrock actually did something more. Or see Cursemamo in action...

But still, looks like a fun match! I like the commentary!

What exactly is the set on Solrock? I am infinately curious about the EV spread among other things.

Anyway, thank you for using this break-of-the-norm team! It led to an intresting battle and I hope to hear more from you.

What exactly is the set on Solrock? I am infinately curious about the EV spread among other things.

Anyway, thank you for using this break-of-the-norm team! It led to an intresting battle and I hope to hear more from you.
Thanks. I always use teams like this, though usually I try to put a little thought into them instead of just randomly putting stuff together.

I used the "Rock Polish Sweeper" Solrock from the analysis, with Overheat in place of Fire Blast. I took away some SpAtk EVs and put them into Speed, but that turned out to be a bad decision so I'm changing it back. I might also change from Naughty nature to Mild, to give Overheat some extra power and to switch into Heatran fire attacks better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)