1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Watch Your Step (OU RMT)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Slim Slendy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Slim Slendy

Slim Slendy

Forretress @ Red Card
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def/ 252 SpD
    Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch
    [No Speed IVs]​

Primarily serves as my lead, with a slight gimmick to it. I've found Forretress to send out invitations to set up sweepers, namely Volcarona, Dragonite, and the like. With this in mind, and my eternal love of pissing off opponents, I provided him with a Red Card. Couple with Sturdy, this makes for one of my favorite tactics, and as far as I've seen, a very effective one. Asides from the obvious entry hazard set up, Volt Switch has been thrown in to discourage switch-ins to Tentacruel and Taunt Jellicent. If Tenta comes in on a non-VS move, I'll make the switch into my own Jellicent.

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: HP 164 / SpA 252 / Spe 92
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    - Energy Ball
    - Surf
    - Shadow Ball
    - Ice Beam​

I hate Water Spout. I really do. Not only is Jelli rarely ever able to get one off before being slapped in the face with something (entry hazards included) it's really nothing more than a glorified version of surf, at best. The tactic here is to force a switch, once they find out Jelli is packing Specs (in my experience, most assume it's a Support Jelli, commonly hitting it with Taunt.) With Forretresses aforementioned Red Card and Toxic Spike set up (assuming it does work, which is commonly does) Jelli does a lot to the poor unfortunate poke that walks in on it's chosen attack. After the attack (assuming it's not a RSer) generally I either switch into Latios (grass or electric type attack) or Jirachi (Dragonite.)

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
    Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
    - Iron Head
    - Thunder Wave
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock​

Standard Jirachi shenanigans here. Stealth rock for the general switches and free turns. Thunder wave to hit what TS doesn't (I find em to be generally faster anyway) and Iron head to annoy the piss out of those that refuse to back down. Wish is there for Latios and Jelli, keeping them nice and healthy - especially since Jirachi has a nice base HP, and each em counter the moves aimed at him. One of my favorite supporters overall, fits into the team nicely.

Latios @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Psyshock​

Primarily used as a switch after Jirachi, seeing as their weaknesses are, for the most part, completely opposite to one another. Timid nature for the added speed (not a fan of slow attackers, never have and never will be.) Obvious max EV investment in Speed and Special Attack. I used Expert Belt of Life orb due to my dislike of feeling as if my pokemon have a limitied number of attacks before biting the dust, and the generally good coverage this set has anyway.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spa / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earth Quake
    - Brick Break
    - Outrage​

Although I generally detest Outrage, due to it's annoying ability to abruptly end a sweep, I find this to be a very effective set when it comes to mopping up the last of the opponents team. Thanks to the entry hazard support, many of the opponents pokes are at least at 50% health, and in some cases, poisoned or paralyzed. This set capitalizes on this, and mows down what remains of the opposing force. Scarf is obvious, for the removal of speed checks. Most other scarfed and choice users will be gone by the time Salamence comes and rears his ugly head - due to the frequency in which they'll need to switch out.

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature (+ Spe, - SpD)
    - Close Combat
    - Mach Punch
    - Overheat
    - U-Turn
    One of my favorite all time pokes. This guy basically types up all the loose ends throughout my teams, and capitilzies on the entry hazard support in a great way. Mach punch for the other priority users, Close Combat for those massive damage, Overheat for Ferrothorn and even opposing Forretress, and U-Turn to take advantage of Jellicent's water absorb ability, should the opportunity arise. Speed is maxed, along with a speed supporting nature to win speed ties and outspeed Jolly / Timid base speed 100 pokes. I personally don't like using Life Orb, but with Jirachi and it's wish passing, I can forgive it.

First time posting a team here, please be gentle if I've missed something huge. I've considered switching Latios for Zapdos, or even switching Latio's HP Fire for HP Ice, simply because I have lots of problems with Landorus. Only poke I cant seem to touch, due to his resistance to SR, Spikes, and TS. I also know I'm left very exposed to HBers and those who come with Aromatherapy, especially if Jellicent goes down with a RSer on the opposing team.
    Let me know what you think! If I missed something, let me know and I'll correct it with all due haste. Thanks in advance to everyone who gives me aid, I'll see you all on the battlefield :)!
  2. Yonko7

Yonko7 Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Hi,

One weakness that I see in your team is a weakness to DD Mence. Since your Choice Scarfed Mence is Adamant, then it won't even have the chance to tie the dragon. Since right now the set is all physical, I would recommend using Jolly than Adamant, with Jolly at least now you have the chance to tie a +Spe natured Salamence. Also, one thing to look at is Brick Break. You already have some 'mons that can do damage to Tyranitar and Ferrothorn: Forry hits Tyranitar (I'm gonna suggest something for Forry later); everyone else has something to Super Effectively hit Tyranitar. Ferrothorn is more trouble since only Latios, Mence, and 'Ape hit it effectively.

The new set would now look like:

Show Hide
    [​IMG]@Choice Scarf
    Jolly : Moxie
    EV: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Brick Break
    -Outrage

To build on the previous, there is a general weakness to Dragons. I find that Toxic Spikes is not utilized fully, so I recommend Gyro Ball > Toxic Spikes. Using Gyro Ball would allow Forry to hit Dragons without being bait.
  3. Gamein99

Gamein99

Personally I find expert belt on Latios slightly lack luster in its damage output, maybe specs as it huts like a truck, or lo if you like manuverabilty as you hag wish jirachi. You could try hp ice on infernape to hit landerous, instead of u turn. Nice team though. )
  4. Slim Slendy

Slim Slendy

Thank you both! I love the idea of HP Ice - though the speed drop due to the IV change is a little concerning. Infernape does have an odd base 108 speed though, so I'll try it out now :) I'll edit this with results. As for having Salamence w/ an Adamant nature, that extra 10% attack is far too nice, not to mention, Jirachi will check him pretty well.

I already have spec on Jelli unfortunately, although I do agree that the damage isn't quite as nice. Is there maybe a different 'mon I could use? Preferably with 110 base speed or higher.
  5. Yonko7

Yonko7 Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Since your using Jellicant as a Spin Blocker I would recommend using Gengar, since a base 110 speed is wanted. To extend to longevity of said Gengar, I recommend using the Sub+Split set, since it has a form of recovery.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]@Life Orb
    Timid
    EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    -Substitute
    -Pain Split
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice

*I have Hidden Power Ice slashed because he can help you with the Landorus problem, however, then Gengar becomes unable to hit Tyranitar.
  6. Slim Slendy

Slim Slendy

I love Infernape w/ HP Ice. Taken lots of people by surprise lol. Think I'll keep him.
    As for the Gengar, I found the lack of coverage hindering =/. As of right now, Gengar loses out to Latios =/. I'm considering maybe trying Alakazam, but it's so frail (not that latios isn't at time.)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)