Water the Weed and light the Sheet - UU Team

Hello there, this is the first time I post a team on smogon, so I am pretty interested in what you think of it.

The Team at a Glance

Team Building Process

My plan was to build a solid UU team based around Choice Banded - Victini. Most of the times you switch it in your opponent has to sack something, because it hits incredibly hard. It should also be a solid, synergetic and a bit unusual team, so no gligar, scarfed heracross, raikou etc.

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 hp / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
Moves: V-Create / U-turn / Boltstrike / Zen-Headbutt

So, Victini was my first choice V-Create and Zen-Headbutt are there for Stab and Boltstrike and U-turn obviously for coverage and momentum. Another good thing about the choice band - set is, that even if something resists a V-Create it takes a lot of damage from it. Therefore checks like blastoise that cant recover are severely wounded and will eventually be eliminated and checks like gligar that can recover take so much damage that they will want or have to heal up, while you can switch ( getting rid of v-create's stat drops) to threaten them out and gain momentum.

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
Evs: 252 SAtk / 4 hp / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
Moves: Surf / Ice Beam / Substiute / Agility

Victini is weak to water, dark, rock, ground, bug and ghost, which is a lot. In order to fix those weaknesses i added an offensive empoleon, which covers dark, water, bug, ghost and rock but is still weak ground, electric and fighting. It also likes to set up on pokes that were paralyzed by druddigon or snorlax once all its counters are gone, which can be early in the match. The plan is to set up an agility and as many subs as it takes to activate the berry and get into torrent range, which increases the Penguins special attack. Now I have been thinking about using hydro pump over surf since victory star boost the accuracy a little but a miss is basically a wasted sub and surf usually packs enough power to do the job.

Virizion @ Red Card
Ability: Justified
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 hp / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
Moves: Swords Dance / Leaf Blade / Stone Edge / Close Combat

Now Victini resists fighting, but you want it to take as little damage as possible, especially while SR are up. To make my offensive core complete and patch those last weaknesses i added a physically sweeping virizion with a red card to stop a setup-sweep from my opponent and also support my on setup. The Red Card may still seem odd, but I tested it and I feel it makes up for the lack of a sub and does not leave virizion quite as open to be attacked, while still maintaining optimal coverage with stone edge instead of substitute. I could have also used lifeorb instead, to ohko umbreon for example, but it dies after a sd anyways and the red card gives this bitch a funny twist and makes it a little gimmicky at least in my opinion. Together with Boltstrike from Victini, Virizion takes care of Empolens counters which can lead to an early victory if your opponent is not prepared.

And finished was a very synergetic, solid Water-Fire-Grass-core, which supports its members on both the deffensive and the offensive side.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 248 hp / 252 SDef / 8 Spd Speed investment to outspeed opposing Sableyes
Careful Nature
Moves: Recover / Taunt / Substitute / Toxic

The next member became a toxic stalling sableye, which is completely shut down by taunt, but you can always taunt first ^^. It also prevents your opponent from setting up stealth rocks, which again supports victini. The reason for the toxic stall set is because my team can have problems with bulky ghost ( Confagrigus... ) if Victini dies and other stalling Pokemon, like Wallrein, that dont enjoy a Prankster Toxic. Steel types that cant be poisined are susceptible to v-create or a closecombat from virizion. This poke also spinblocks, and patches snorlax and empoleons fighting weakness. Its an ugly technique but it works.

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Evs: 252 hp / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
Moves: Stealth Rock / Dragon Claw / Sucker Punch / Glare

Now here it is, the secret star of this team : Druddigon!
Its nasty, bulky and most importantly reliable. It works and does work in almost every single match. Given max hp and max def combined with rough skin and rocky helmet it deals damage to most physical sweepers in UU since they usually have to make contact, while it can set up SR and because a lot of them are frail they either die to a sucker punch or after that take themselves out by attacking druddigon. The dragon also supports my offensive trio being able to paralyze with glare, because my sweepers sometimes lack the necessary speed. He usually doesnt go down without having set up the rocks and taking one foe with him. It is also my main counter to Darmanitan and physical Victini.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Evs: 252 hp / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
Moves: Bodyslam / Whirlwind / Sleep Talk / Rest

Snorlax is there to cover druddigons and virizions ice and fire weaknesses and stop special hits in general. It rounds the team off nicely and is also my phazer and sleep fodder. Though, the fat bear is unable to touch ghost types, this is where sableye's toxic stalling abilities really come in handy. I know I could have put Crunch on it but this set serves multiple purposes better and survives and works better in general. Bodyslam has the chance to paralyze which helps my sweeping.

The Teams weaknesses:

Entry hazards, especially Toxic Spikes - If your opponent manages to set them up. Therefore you should lead with Sableye to taunt and then toxic on the switch, this works beautifully on registeel, cause it cant do anything after the taunt. Then proceed to stall out the incoming pokemon and it's 6 vs. 5.

Hail Stall - A huge threat in UU in general. You need to do two things to win: First set up stealth rocks and second taunt or toxic stallrein. Once Stallrein is gone you pretty much have the match in the bag.

CalmMind-Raikou- It can become a threat once Snorlax is gone and Virizions Red Card was used.

Choice Scarf-Heracross- Once Sableye and Druddigon are dead, but it usually can be played around, especially after Empoleon is ready.

Crobat- Crobat outspeeds Victini, kills Vrizion and can not be toxiced by Sableye it may also have taunt. It cant stand a chance against Empoleon after an agility though or it can be paralyzed by one of the defensive guys.

Overall I had a lot of fun using this team, so far i did not get bored which usually happens quite soon ;), so you may try it too if you want.

I'm always happy to hear suggestions, criticism and whatever you have to say,
so thanks for reading and peace!

Changelog

-Added 8 speed evs to Sableye​

Powerful physical attackers like Flygon and Darmanitan can dent your team pretty badly. Change Toxic to Will-O-Wisp on Sableye, it will cripple most threats. It won't be a Toxic stalling mon anymore, so add either Foul Play or Night Shade in place of Substitute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)