1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

We Are Fun. A Dual Screen Sand Team (Peaked #15)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by VictoryFlowers, Jul 21, 2012.

1. VictoryFlowers

VictoryFlowers

We Are Fun.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Greetings everyone. My name is Victory Flowers. I am also known as PocketAudio in PO and in other forums. This is my first successful team that was able peaked me to rank #15 in PO.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

I'm quite new with Competitive Pokemon Battling, having been introduced to this side of Pokemon just last year. After absorbing how EVs, IVs, Stat Boosts, STAB, Entry Hazards, (and all that technical knowledge) work, and researching on the current metagame, I got hooked with Pokemon in a whole new way. I then decided to create my own original team. I wanted to have a team that was simply fun to use and at the same exceptional in competitive battling. After weeks of testing, I have finally established this "fun" team. It is still far from being perfect, and that is why I have made this RMT to further improve it through the help of all of you on Smogon. Without further ado, here is my team.

Team Building Process

Show Hide

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Team

[​IMG]

Totoro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sandstream
    EVs : 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
    Careful Nature (+SDef, - S.Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    - Roar

[​IMG]

Scarab @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Toxic
    - Taunt
    - Protect​

[​IMG]

Dr.Fetus @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic
    - Trick
    - Recover

[​IMG]

FunkyFungi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Clear Smog / Stun Spore
    - Hidden Power (Ice)​

[​IMG]

Sentaro @ Leftovers
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge / Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance
    - Substitute

[​IMG]

Inkochan (Xatu) (M) @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - U-turn
    - Roost

Importable

Show Hide
    Totoro (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Roar
    - Slack Off

Scarab (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    - Lava Plume
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Taunt

Dr. Fetus (Reuniclus) (M) @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Trick
    - Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover

Sentaro (Terrakion) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Substitute
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge

FunkyFungi (Amoonguss) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Clear Smog

Inkochan (Xatu) (M) @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - U-turn
    - Roost

Changes That I Considered

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Light Clay
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SDef
    IVs: 0 Spe
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake

Closing Comments

I hope you enjoyed reading this RMT. If you like this team, please give it a Luvdisc. Also, if you have any suggestions, recommendations, or even nitpicks, please provide away.
  2. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

I do see the merits of the survivability of leftovers, but

[​IMG]

Also, the rock gem does 83-98 percent to Slowbro, which is a possible ohko with stealth rock, and if not allows you to simply use Close Combat as a 100 percent accuracy move to finish him off. The previous two statements assume you are +2 by the way.
  3. Miles Tails

Miles Tails

Hi VictoryFlowers a nice team you got there, the first thing I noticed and that Tornadus-T will play on your team if you have not raised Light Screen so I suggest you change the Heatran for a Jirachi Sp.Def so you have a safe to switch Tornadus-T, so you can resist the Fire your so I suggest you change your Reuniclus by Starmie so you will have a Rapid Spinner Xatu is defeated if I do not know why so many special Pokemon holding the hand I suggest you replace the effort of the Hippowdon to 252 HP/252 Def / 4 Sp.Def.

Show Hide
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Careful, 252 HP, 224 SpD, 32 Spe
    - Wish
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    -Stealth Rock

Jirachi enters easily into T-Tornadus without much trouble holding his Hurricane which is his main blow and recover with podende Wish addition to be able to spend the rest of the time

Show Hide
    Starmie @ Leftovers
    Timid, 252 HP, 24 Def, 8 SpA, 224 Spe
    - Ice Beam / scald / Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rapid Spin
    - Recover

Starmie will work very well absorbed by the Natural Cure status, in addition it has access to Rapid Spin which can take the hazards of their field who can give you a headache if your opponent can place them.

Hope this helps!
  4. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene +Dread Arceus: the edgier the name, the higher the crit rate
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey. I like the structure of your team, and how it focuses around the excellent combo of Reuniclus and Terrakion. However, your team is very weak to opposing Latios that use Life Orb over Choice Specs. Your team gives Latios multiple opportunities to switch in and run through it. To deal with it, I'd recommend replacing Xatu with a Jirachi. You already have multiple means of checking Breloom and Amoonguss, so Xatu is not as needed. Sure Magic Bounce is nice, but having a reliable check to Latios is even nicer. Jirachi can also lay down screens if your team so demands it. Also, to deal with powerful physical attackers, I'd recommend making your Hippowdon a physically defensive variant. This lets you cover threats such as Terrakion and Landorus better. I'd also recommend using Rock Gem over Leftovers on Terrakion, so you can score the OHKO on several notable physical walls, such as Gliscor and Skarmory, with Stone Edge.

Sets:
    [​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
    Careful Nature | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Iron Head | Body Slam | Wish | U-turn

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Light Clay | Serene Grace
    Careful Nature | 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
    Reflect | Light Screen | Wish | U-turn

Nitpicks:
    [​IMG]
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD ----> 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD

[​IMG]
    Leftovers ----> Rock Gem

I listed out two Jirachi sets: a specially defensive variant, and a Dual Screens variant. Try out the one that you feel will suit your team the most. Of course, feel free to mess around with the EVs of the Dual Screens variant until you feel like they are the best they can be. Wish support from Jirachi can keep your team especially healthy. Nice team, and good luck!
  5. emirinho

emirinho

Hello

Since your team was #15 one cant recommend you some big changes. Latios ceratinly is a big threat. However, i think that your heatran can handle the job by changing the structure of his moveset. I would suggest you to use Lava Plume,Roar,Toxic,Protect/HP ice. That would help you a lot in handling your threats. Also you should change your Hippowdon to a defensive wall.
    Now as many others recommended you should at least test the rock gem. However, you have to be careful when using it since you only have one chance
    One more thing, you can also try Espeon instead of Xatu.Espeon has the Magic bounce it can set the Screens while being a batter damage dealer and it can have an advantage because of its speed. IMO it is worth trying.

Summary:
    -Defensive Hippowdon
    -New Heatran moveset
    -Rock gem
    -Espeon
  6. Dukewarrior13

Dukewarrior13

Hey! Man you have a nice team there but i cant help but notice that you team is very weak to almost any set of Heracross. Even you reniculus will be OHKO by a megahorn. If you trick a flame orb on a Heracross....gg :( The best way you can counter this is by replacing Reniculus with Cofagrigus. That way you can have a little more bulk, a spin blocker and still have great synergy with terrakion. I would recommend running this set:

Cofagrigus
    Bold
    252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Hex
    Hidden Power Fighting
    Calm Mind
    Will-o-Wisp

(This way you can still have a nasty suprise burn for sweepers)

Having cofagrigus means that you can keep Xatu instead of Brozong because cofagrigus offers the bulk that Xatu lacks.

This is just my opinion not yours

Good Luck!
  7. VictoryFlowers

VictoryFlowers

I've tried having my Terrakion run Rock Gem and holy shit... I've caught so many guys off guard with it! Now I can kiss those sweep breakers goodbye! Latios does wreck my team, and the only way I could beat it was with my Heatan, so I've added a Dual Screen Jirachi and it did pretty well. Wish support really helps out my team. I've been getting a lot of Wish passes to my Heatran which was exactly what I needed. I'm going to retire Xatu now. He'll be missed. T-T Hazards aren't really a problem, since the only trouble I have with them is when they rack up, but my Terrakion or Reuniclus would already be set up and ready to sweep after that. And plus, my Amoonguss can absorb those pesky Toxic Spikes which hurts my Terrakion and Hippowdon. I also tried making Hippowdon physically defensive and now I could check Landorus and Terrakion without much problems. Much better than my Specially defensive now. Thanks a lot Trinitrotoluene! I'll edit the RMT now.

Btw, I tried using your team "Deep Sea of Mare". Loved it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)