Online Competition Weakness Cup [playable on Showdown!]

You were tricked by PS' spread suggestor. 248/8 does not work on Lv50 AT ALL. go 252/4 or 244/12 instead. (if only this was on discord so i could copypaste that EV guide again)
Done. I'll make sure to upgrade Chandelier's spread today or tomorrow.

JES: If you replace Beat Up for Weavile, I would recommend Knock Off over Night Slash, as even unboosted Knock Off has about the same power as Night Slash. I'm not sure how easy for you it would be to get Knock Off, but if it is possible, I would recommend getting it.

JES: If you replace Beat Up for Weavile, I would recommend Knock Off over Night Slash, as even unboosted Knock Off has about the same power as Night Slash. I'm not sure how easy for you it would be to get Knock Off, but if it is possible, I would recommend getting it.
I've seen Throat Chop run on some Weavile's too. 10 more base power than Night Slash, don't have to worry about targeting a pokemon that's already used berry/WP with Knock Off, and there's the unlikely chance that you prevent a mon from using Bug Buzz/Clanging Scales/Screech (lol)

For the Tiny Tourney, the PGL did an analysis BEFORE the comp : https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/information/d4d24e3b-a0fa-4620-a443-5e29b615486d
They continue this new feature with the Weakness Cup : https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/information/5d6c38ec-ed10-4bec-8138-5dcae5894d0e

The first one was not so bad when results came out so this one could be interesting too. I'm talking about usage stats and not viability. Btw that's a dumb they stop those post-comp analysis. They were full of interesting strategies especially at high ladder and gave some useful tricks for newcomers.

Last edited:
Still thinking about using Sky Drop or Acrobatics on Hawlucha, which of them is better in this tournament in your opinion? Sky Drop provides good utility but Acrobatics is more powerful if the berry got consumed

Still thinking about using Sky Drop or Acrobatics on Hawlucha, which of them is better in this tournament in your opinion? Sky Drop provides good utility but Acrobatics is more powerful if the berry got consumed
For me, Sky Drop is better since Hawlucha will support more for it's partner for letting them set up or KOes a pokemon. You can't go for Acrobatics because Hawlucha isn't bulky enough to live a supereffective hit and use the move.

For me, Sky Drop is better since Hawlucha will support more for it's partner for letting them set up or KOes a pokemon. You can't go for Acrobatics because Hawlucha isn't bulky enough to live a supereffective hit and use the move.
You can always just forgo having an item while using Acrobatics though. As you said, Hawlucha is pretty frail. However, if Acrobatics is used, then I would think that a physically-based Greninja set would be better, as Greninja has more speed and power, and can use the same stab moves (Acrobatics, Low Kick) that Hawlucha would likely use.

Personally, I think that Hawlucha can be a great supporting-type Pokemon, as it has a lot of unique moves like Encore, After You, and Sky Drop. Because of that, I think that Sky Drop is the better option.

Thank you for the answers
Is there anything important in this tournament which you cant outspeed with a adamant Hawlucha? Still deciding between jolly or adamant on this mon

My team for now. Any tweaks or suggestions would be appreciated. It is really physical attack dependent and I'm thinking of adding Protect on a few other teammates.

Gigalith @Chople Berry
Brave
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SpD
Sand Stream
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Protect
-Wide Guard

Setting sand and protecting teammates with Wide Guard. I was thinking Gigalith should hold Weakness Policy, but went with Chople.

Tyranitar @ WeaKness Policy
Brave
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 Def
Unnerve
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Iron Head
-Brick Break

Abuse the sand and keep opponents from eating their berries. I'm wondering if I should drop Iron Head or Brick Break. As both seem to have the same coverage in this META and Protect may be more useful.

Cacturne @Occa Berry
Brave
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SpD
Sand Veil
-Sucker Punch
-Needle Arm
-Drain Punch
-Poison Jab

STAB Sucker Punch to Chandelure. I was thinking of dropping Poison Jab for Spiky Shield, but Poison Jab is his Grass type counter.

Golurk @Kasib Berry
Brave
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Iron Fist
-Drain Punch
-Shadow Punch
-Ice Punch
-High Horsepower

Mainly here for his Iron Fist. 20% damage increase in a META that has no items to buff damage.

Lunatone @Colbur Berry
Relaxed
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Levitate
-Power Gem
-Psyshock
-Moonblast
-Trick Room

I think Moonblast is not needed, possible to add Protect or maybe Cosmic Power. Mainly on the team to set TR, but Psyshock will help against any opponent receiving SpD boost from sand.

Bruxish @Rindo Berry
Adamant
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 Def
Dazzling
-Aqua Jet
-Psychic Fangs
-Ice Fang
-Trick Room

I was looking for a 2nd TR setter, hoping Bruxish might not be seen as a TR setter, as Strong Jaw would be more appealing for the 50% power boost. Dazzling should stop Fake Out or Prankster Taunt/Encore.

Also Bruxish hatched shiny with 31/31/31/0/31/31 IVs.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers
Is there anything important in this tournament which you cant outspeed with a adamant Hawlucha? Still deciding between jolly or adamant on this mon
You should run a Jolly nature on Hawlucha. With the Adamant nature, it fails to outspeed Pokémon (at max speed) base 104 and above. This means it can't outspeed Pokémon like Scyther, Latios, Archeops, Whimsicott, and Starmie.

So, I tried registering for this thing this morning and it says registration has already closed. What gives? Anyone else having this problem? There's no way they hit their competition limit already?

So, I tried registering for this thing this morning and it says registration has already closed. What gives? Anyone else having this problem? There's no way they hit their competition limit already?
I ran into the same issue. There's an area on the site where you can write about issues so I told them what was going on and asked if they'd be willing to re-open registration if it truly was closed. I highly doubt it's already full though

I ran into the same issue today as well. I would hope that the sign up period is not closed, especially since I was able to sign up for the Tiny tournament the last day of the sign-up period.

EDIT:I just sent in a request to The PGL authorities as well. Hopefully, we get a good explanation to this soon.

Last edited:
If anyone manages to register can they post here and let us know? It's closed for me too which sucks after weeks of training up a team

i honestly dont think participator cap was reached. i now really want to know how many people actually managed to enter in time.
i did manage to get in in time btw.

Sign ups are live again, tried couple times a day since last week and managed it just now (via desktop, previous attempts from mobile but no idea if this is important at all).

Sign ups are live again, tried couple times a day since last week and managed it just now (via desktop, previous attempts from mobile but no idea if this is important at all).
I have
I just registered via mobile. Looks like it's fixed. I now know I have to finish my team and keep hatching modest contrary snivies....

I'm in the teambuilding phase yet. My training and breeding periods will be short lol. What berries give you to your mons ? Can we see a more defined metagame with standard sets ?

- Aerodactyl : Sky Drop and Rock Slide are mandatory along Protect. Do you run Tailwind or Wide Guard or do you prefer a Fang ?
- Tapu Bulu : The only Tapu and Terrain Inducer, negating EQ for ever. A big powerhouse.
- Weavile : The best Fake Out user here but it still a too frail Attacker. Do you run Icicle Clash or Ice Shard ? Knock Off ? Low Kick ? Protect takes a slot too.
- Greninja : The other Aero's best friend. What are your three coverage options ? Mat Block doesn't look well.
- Tyranitar : Too many things to do, mindgame with SS or Unnerve.
- Terrakion : Thinking of Sacred Sword over Close Combat. Poison Jab seems a good option in this format.
- Whimsicott : TerraCott seems less interesting so Beat Up will be off. Taunt, Tailwind, Encore and Protect is the way to go ? Moonblast is a good coverage too.
- Chandelure : TR setter with a good matchup against support mons but weak to the common Rock Slide.
- Togekiss : Follow Me, Tailwind, Air Slash and Protect for sure.

I'm thinking of Terrakion, Whimsicott, Weavile, Togekiss, Aerodactyl and Greninja as my final squad but I'm lost with WP and berries.

Last edited:
Is the sign up really reopen in weakness cup? All I know is that it was closed without saying (I think) it is first come, first serve.

On the other hand, I have to finish up my breeding/training of my team quickly, since I didn't think I would be joining the tournament...

I'm in the teambuilding phase yet. My training and breeding periods will be short lol. What berries give you to your mons ? Can we see a more defined metagame with standard sets ?
- Aerodactyl : Sky Drop and Rock Slide are mandatory along Protect. Do you run Tailwind or Wide Guard or do you prefer a Fang ?
- Tapu Bulu : The only Tapu and Terrain Inducer, negating EQ for ever. A big powerhouse.
- Weavile : The best Fake Out user here but it still a too frail Attacker. Do you run Icicle Clash or Ice Shard ? Knock Off ? Low Kick ? Protect takes a slot too.
- Greninja : The other Aero's best friend. What are your three coverage options ? Mat Block doesn't look well.
- Tyranitar : Too many things to do, mindgame with SS or Unnerve.
- Terrakion : Thinking of Sacred Sword over Close Combat. Poison Jab seems a good option in this format.
- Whimsicott : TerraCott seems less interesting so Beat Up will be off. Taunt, Tailwind, Encore and Protect is the way to go ? Moonblast is a good coverage too.
- Chandelure : TR setter with a good matchup against support mons but weak to the common Rock Slide.
- Togekiss : Follow Me, Tailwind, Air Slash and Protect for sure.
I'm thinking of Terrakion, Whimsicott, Weavile, Togekiss, Aerodactyl and Greninja as my final squad but I'm lost with WP and berries.
My daughter's team has Aerodactyl, Greninja, and Weavile on it.

Her Aerodactyl has Sky Drop, Rock Slide, Iron Head, and Tailwind.

Weavile, Fake Out, Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, and Throat Chop.

Weavile is there to Fake Out Whimsicott and let Aerodactyl get Tailwind up or Sky Drop to stop Beat Up or Tailwind.

She is running a physical Greninja. No item with Acrobatics. I forget the rest of her moves.

Bulu or Terrakion might benefit the most from WP. Although, SS Tyranitar has decent enough defense to survive and benefit from WP.

I am using an Unnerve Tyranitar, only because I have Gigalith on my team.

Sand Storm Tyranitar would boost Tyranitar's Aerodactyl's, and Terrakion's SpD, as well as any Rock type on your opponent's team.

Berries I am a little weak on making a decision as well. With so many weaknesses you have to assume what attack you will see the most. With a little thinking an opponent may be able to guess your berry.

Aero/Gren/Weavile is a pretty decent core. Not to mention that Greninja breaks the balance of types with Protean (bar Mach Punch from Breloom). Acrobatics is a good move. Seriously Greninja will never take the right SE move to activate the right berry and is too frail to use WP.

Viability Rankings - My first impressions for now, will update later

S

Chandelure - Lotsa grass types. Water is uncommon, EQ sucks, no other good ghosts. Amazing coverage. Can decide between anti-rock or dark berry.
Hydreigon - Chandy counter and nice stats. Also no good fairies aside from bulu which has no fairy moves aside from dazzling gleam. (ok there's whimsicott)
Latios - Hydreigon counter and OHKOes without SE a lot, beats terrakion
Latias - Bulky enough to live a lot of SEs, so WP is worth investigating
Tapu Bulu - No other tapus to change terrain. Need I say more?
Terrakion - Terracott combo, beats tyranitar, hydreigon, and possibly chandelure
Tyranitar - Unnerve, chandelure and latis counter, and bulky enough to use WP. Also EQ sucks.

A
Aerodactyl
Crawdaunt - probably strongest TR mon
Drifblim
Greninja - can change types and can use mat block with no scarfers around, but frail and doubles is a bad combination.
Mamoswine
Marowak-A
Rhyperior
Tangrowth
Togekiss - it gets follow me and has good offensive coverage esp with no steels around. weak to rock is kinda bad. Also, who noticed that this thing had 5 weaknesses before today?
Weavile
Whimsicott

B
Breloom - no electric/misty terrain, fast spore esp under tailwind, no safety goggles. But no sash, frail in doubles, and can't spore the many grass types.
Chesnaught
Decidueye
Delphox
Exeggutor (both)
Guzzlord
Kommo-o
Minior
Parasect
Serperior
Virizion

In the latías section what is WP and SE??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)