Item Weakness Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
Is weakness policy only activated by super effective moves, or attack moves of any type it is weak to, like seismic toss on a tyranitar, or mirror coat on a Keldeo?

Mamoswine OHKOs most of the time though.

252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lilligant: 242-283 (86.1 - 100.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Other than a wall using a non STAB move Lilligant is not surving a super effective hit, and. The only SE move I can think of that doesn't 2HKO is... Donphan's Ice Shard.

You simply cannot survive a half decent super effective attack with 0/0 Lilligant. Its bulk is trash. Heck, you'd be hard pressed to survive the neutral attacks. Dragonite works because it has like 3x the bulk of Lilligant with Multiscale and is often the target of Ice or Rock moves since not much else is going to kill it. When you don't even need the super effective hit to kill the Pokemon, that is when Weakness Policy is really bad.
Focus Sash Leads lose to it, that's what makes it a great lead, it can either a.) set up Stealth Rock and risk being set up on or b.) sleep it the turn it sets it or uses Ice Shard (which won't OHKO) the goal is not to be bulky, it is to sweep, just like Dragonite.

In order to sweep with WP lilligant you have to:

1.) somehow survive a super effective hit

2.) Pray the opponent has no grass resists, prankster t-wave users, or priority

Lilligant has no priority and crappy defenses which are the complete opposite of what a WP user should have to be effective. Only electross would be a worse WP user

Use a life orb or lum berry on lilligant They are much more reliable

I wonder, how well would a baton pass weakness policy set perform? Of course, the passing pokemon would have to be able to take a hit, but assuming they can survive a supereffective hit or two and then pass the boosts they gathered to a completely healthy pokemon sounds pretty dangerous. Pokemon like Celebi and Mega-Mawile sound like pretty good pokemon suited for it because they have substantial bulk and can sweep on their own if they need to as well.

I wonder, how well would a baton pass weakness policy set perform? Of course, the passing pokemon would have to be able to take a hit, but assuming they can survive a supereffective hit or two and then pass the boosts they gathered to a completely healthy pokemon sounds pretty dangerous. Pokemon like Celebi and Mega-Mawile sound like pretty good pokemon suited for it because they have substantial bulk and can sweep on their own if they need to as well.
Mew would be pretty damn good too, particularly if someone tries to Pursuit trap it and you stay in receiving minimal damage with good defenses and plenty of other boosting moves, and then you Baton Pass out to something like a Lucario or Terrakion who take a resisted Dark move AND activate Justified and get another Attack boost on top of that.

I can see the rage quit now.

OK now this is REALLLLLYYY peaking my interest. I'm willing to try this out. Just curious as to how its teammates would look like? From how I see it it's pretty dependent on getting the WP boost and then not getting phazed out in the process. With its horrible typing and great defenses I think it does a pretty good job of luring SE moves by itself, but what about dealing with phazers? Would general wallbreakers work as good teammates, seeing as how this set is pretty much a situational wallbreaker? I'm really curious; I like Lapras and to see a set like this potentially working in OU is really making me feel giddy inside.
Well like I said Rapid Spin is a must to keep out Stealth Rock. The ability is hard to discern at times, Shell Armor actually really helps in the long run and may be the best if you aren't going anywhere for a while. Skarmory can Defog hazards and set up your own while attracting Electric attacks, but if the team has a Rotom-W you're pretty much good to go, its such an easy Volt Change from them, where you should rest right away. Rotom-H is interesting since its a good lure for Rotom-W itself and you can Volt Change faster into either a Water Absorbed Hydro Pump or a weak Volt Change.

I haven't experimented with her in a while, I'm not positive on the best EV spread for her yet. Ideally if you can baton pass speed and defense with Scolipede or some Calm Minds she'll be much better off. And if you can't get either than at least have Duel Screens. She is better off later in the game rather than sooner in general.

Last edited:
This thing is a fun late game sweeper:

Yanmega@WeaknessPolicy
Speed Boost
Nature- Rash
252Atk/252Sp.Atk/4Spe
-Endure
-Reversal
-Air Slash
-Shadow Ball/Bug Buzz

it takes some prediction to use, if you get hit with a non SE move then your screwed. and endure doesnt give a crap about stealth rocks.

even though it loses to priority, it does stop fake out users by using endure you can waste their fake out and at 1hp it wont kill you.

for more power you can run a tinted lens weakness policy set, check out these calcs:

+2 252 SpA Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 296-348 (77 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Latias: 356-422 (97.8 - 115.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Yanmega Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Volcarona: 344-408 (91.9 - 109%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Yanmega Reversal vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 362-428 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Has anyone tried this on Latias? I've been using Weakness Policy Latias on Showdown, and she's doing pretty good.

This is the moveset I'm using:

252 HP/252 Speed/4SpA

Nature: Timid

Moveset:
  • Roost
  • Surf
  • Hidden Power Fire
  • Dragon Pulse

Since Latias has a number of common weaknesses, this set gives her the ability to bait opponents into using a super-effective move against her, and due to her great bulk and speed she can survive and then retaliate with powerful moves. Dragon Pulse gets powerful STAB without having to negate your own boosts. Hidden Power fire helps with steel types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, and Surf deals reliable damage to Heatran, who would otherwise completely wall the set. Roost helps heal off damage that might be taken.

So far the only true counter to this set I've seen is Tyranitar, who is guaranteed to OHKO Latias with Crunch, so it's a good idea to have a powerful fighting-type pokemon take care of Tyranitar first.

Weakness Policy is a very fun item to use, especially on things people don't expect to see.
From experience, it works better if the WP holder has a priority, that way things don't go against you in case you're up against a priority user or with better speed, which is generally the case because bulky Pokemon are usually slow.

I know this guy is extremely situational, but I've been enjoying using an Umbreon with Weakness Policy:

Burakki (Umbreon) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Payback
- Moonlight/Rest
- Sucker Punch

Curse grants great stat boosts to Umbreon and used in-conjunction with Payback as his main STAB.
Once WP activates, and Umbreon survives the hit (which usually he does, thanks to excellent bulk from both sides of the spectrum), you can proceed to Sucker Punch since the opponent expect to score a KO with the next attack not knowing you have a priority.
Moonlight helps patch up the damage when using Curse, or Rest if status might be a bigger problem.

I would recommend you run more special defense like Careful/Sassy 252 SpDef/252 HP. Anyway, has anybody tried
Kyurem-Black @ Weakness Policy Hasty 252 Spe/252 SpAtk/ 4 Atk Teravolt
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
This thing can take a hit and from +2|+2 nothing can safely switch in on it.
+2 4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 201-237 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
How can you switch in on this beast?

There has to be a type combination that is weak to everything, has lots of speed and sturdy. It doesn't need too much attack power, just 85/85.

Weakness Policy is a very fun item to use, especially on things people don't expect to see.
From experience, it works better if the WP holder has a priority, that way things don't go against you in case you're up against a priority user or with better speed, which is generally the case because bulky Pokemon are usually slow.

I know this guy is extremely situational, but I've been enjoying using an Umbreon with Weakness Policy:

Burakki (Umbreon) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Payback
- Moonlight/Rest
- Sucker Punch

Curse grants great stat boosts to Umbreon and used in-conjunction with Payback as his main STAB.
Once WP activates, and Umbreon survives the hit (which usually he does, thanks to excellent bulk from both sides of the spectrum), you can proceed to Sucker Punch since the opponent expect to score a KO with the next attack not knowing you have a priority.
Moonlight helps patch up the damage when using Curse, or Rest if status might be a bigger problem.
that actually looks horrible no offense

The best Pokemon to use this item would definitely be Pokemon with the ability sturdy or Dragonite as they can survive super effective hits. Bulky Pokemon such as Tyranitar could also make use of this item. Dragonite with dragon dance, dragon claw, extreme speed and roost would be quite good. Since roost would heal Dragonite back up to full HP so that he can then gain another boost from his weakness policy.

WP Dragonite has been a thing since the beginning of Gen VI, there's no need to bring it up again and WP is consumable, so it can only be used once.

What about weakness policy filter mr. Mime? I say this only because of filter and his respectable special defense. Give it 252 HP and speed and take a super effective special move, while using thunder wave (sort of helps its speed) and choose your coverage moves.

40/65/120 are far from good defenses as is. Also, never mind the fact that he is only weak to Poison and Steel, both of which are highly uncommon attacks. Also, an uninveseted Mew is still much physically bulkier than a max/max Mr. Mime. If you're desperate maybe Mime Jr. in little cup could pull it off but even that sounds generous.

40/65/120 are far from good defenses as is. Also, never mind the fact that he is only weak to Poison and Steel, both of which are highly uncommon attacks. Also, an uninveseted Mew is still much physically bulkier than a max/max Mr. Mime. If you're desperate maybe Mime Jr. in little cup could pull it off but even that sounds generous.
That's a total flop on my part. I forgot he is no longer pure psychic.

In which case Mew is more along what I was thinking.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Also, never mind the fact that he is only weak to Poison and Steel, both of which are highly uncommon attacks.
Don't forget that it's also weak to Ghost, which is, arguably, THE most popular type in the game right now. Of course, it's not switching into Aegislash any time soon so it's a moot point.

Someone mentioned the following set:

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Unburden
252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Sp.Def
Impish (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Acrobatics
-Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp / Defog

Bring it in on something like a Conkedurr knock-off and then BP away to anything that likes +2/+2/+2. It's very gimmicky (Driftblim really can't take SE hits) but could make for some great late-game shenanigans if you have reasonable prediction.

Sceptile might be able to do something similar switching into HP Fire.

I can see Klinklang being a decent WP user with it's decent bulk and power, but Shift Gear is what makes it appealing (please don't mention Genesect: only one weakness, and a X4 one isn't what i call good for a WP user...).
You can invest more in bulk since Shift Gear raises speed by 2 levels, and it still gets the attack boost unlike Agility/Rock Polish/Autotomize users. 60/115/85 bulk isn't huge but it's totally workable (it can survive most physical hits unless it's from something very strong).
The crappy movepool is a problem though, but it can make it work with Return/Wild Charge/Gear Grind.

The things that have weaknesses they can take a hit from in OU:

Kyurem-Black, Kyurem, Tyranitar, Conkeldurr, Dragonite, Garchomp, and Aegislash. As you can tell, this is a huge physical bias. We need to find a mixed sweeper with 110+ in both it's attacking stats, plenty of weaknesses, over 100 speed, and good defenses. The Kyurems seem to be the best ones to go mixed with, but they are a little slow. Garchomp can't take an Ice move and has less than sweeping Special Attack. Tyranitar and Conkeldurr have better items to run (Assault Vest, Chople Berry, Sand Rock, etc.), Dragonite has 80 speed, though a DD+Weakness Policy set could be good. Aegislash has low speed, and the priority is weak. Overall, Weakness Policy is good on the Kyurem's, Aegislash, and Dragonite, but not much else.

I'm thinking of using this item on my Tyranitar (Thought I think I have to breed a new one since my current Tyranitar is Jolly and trained in Speed and attack) it could be useful of a Tyranitar with a little bit of bulk.

Someone mentioned the following set:

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Unburden
252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Sp.Def
Impish (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Acrobatics
-Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp / Defog

Bring it in on something like a Conkedurr knock-off and then BP away to anything that likes +2/+2/+2. It's very gimmicky (Driftblim really can't take SE hits) but could make for some great late-game shenanigans if you have reasonable prediction.

Sceptile might be able to do something similar switching into HP Fire.
that's been mentioned already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)