Item Weakness Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now with DD 'Nite and Weakness policy, does everyone run more HP or more defenses?
Just curious, I run HP myself
Hit points is always better to invest in unless you have a very very high Hp stat. So yes, I don't always use weakness policy dragonite, but when I do, I run hit points investment. No, but I'd use speed investment, myself, or a mix.

Yeah, no:
+2 4+ SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 170-204 (55.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Freeze Dry mamo is already an established gimmick. Use the physical set for the calcs, which is what everyone runs thanks to talonflame.

I have been using weakness policy on a baton pass ninjask to great effect. first you test the waters with substitutes and then when you know they are gonna fire off a super effective attack use endure and then boton pass its like 2 shell smashes with out the defense drops

Due to Ninjask's lack of bulk, he'd probably get dropped by almost any priority attack I.E. Talonflame's Brave Bird, Ice Shard, or even Mach Punch if his health is low from subbing. IMO you'd be better off running Focus Sash and Protect stalling to scout until it's time to pass.
any of those prioity moves are gonna ko when you try to baton pass away anyway. this weakness policy and endure allows for a boost against an opponent that would ko you when you try to swords dance, as well as allow for special boosting

I feel you misunderstood my comment. What I'm saying is that you should either pivot him in or just get him in after the opponent gets a kill so as not to break his Sash, then Protect to stall a boost as well as scout the enemy for dangerous moves (unless you know they'll try to set up/status you, in which case you can Dance or throw up a sub). Assuming you cleared any rocks, he can survive any priority attack the enemy throws at him and Pass safely. If you planned correctly and they used a priority on him to break his Sash, you'll have the Policy boosts to act as a psuedo-Dance/Plot. It's still unreliable, yes, but still more reliable than putting your fate in something as risky as Endure in a meta full of priority (read: Talonflame).
it just doesn't seem worth it to sack a pokemon just to get one speed boost unless you have a Pokemon your sure can sweep a large portion of their team. I find that if I am going to use a pokemon knowing full well that it is just going to turn in to switch fodder later Id rather get an attack boost as well

it just doesn't seem worth it to sack a pokemon just to get one speed boost unless you have a Pokemon your sure can sweep a large portion of their team. I find that if I am going to use a pokemon knowing full well that it is just going to turn in to switch fodder later Id rather get an attack boost as well
Aaaand I just realized I was being an idiot and didn't realize you can't have Sash and Policy at the same time. Your strategy still sounds pretty risky though.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aaaand I just realized I was being an idiot and didn't realize you can't have Sash and Policy at the same time. Your strategy still sounds pretty risky though.
Agreed in terms of it being risky. You still have to watch out for the Whirlwind, Roar,T-wave and Will-O-Wisp(depending on what you baton pass to). They can easily predict the Baton Pass coming after you use Endure and they see a Weakness Policy boost. That's your speed gone if you get T-waved or attack gone when the burn comes into play. Priority users can also crush the method depending on how much damage your the Pokemon you Baton Pass into takes on switch-in....Very risky indeed!

This is a weakness policy set I run for Victini in UU and sometimes OU

Victini@Weakness Policy
Evs: 252 hp 252 attack 4 spedef
Brave Nature: +attack -speed
V-Create
Bolt Strike
Brick Break
Trick Room

This thing is pretty amazing, especially in UU. It's a late game cleaner that does its job in completely screwing with an opponents strategy and it still hits like a truck!

It can take out stuff like Latias after the WP boost from around 85%!
It's also godamn bulky, surviving Haxorus and M-Aggron earthquakes, Latias surfs, Slowbros hydropumps etc

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a weakness policy set I run for Victini in UU and sometimes OU
Victini@Weakness Policy
Evs: 252 hp 252 attack 4 spedef
Brave Nature: +attack -speed
V-Create
Bolt Strike
Brick Break
Trick Room

This thing is pretty amazing, especially in UU. It's a late game cleaner that does its job in completely screwing with an opponents strategy and it still hits like a truck!

It can take out stuff like Latias after the WP boost from around 85%!
It's also godamn bulky, surviving Haxorus and M-Aggron earthquakes, Latias surfs, Slowbros hydropumps etc
You mind if I try this sometime? I've never thought about using it on Trick Room Pokemon. I guess you can set up the Trick Room while taking a super effecttive hit and then proceed to attack. Still need to watch out for that priority though. Nice Victini! Why brick break over psychic stab though?

You mind if I try this sometime? I've never thought about using it on Trick Room Pokemon. I guess you can set up the Trick Room while taking a super effecttive hit and then proceed to attack. Still need to watch out for that priority though. Nice Victini! Why brick break over psychic stab though?
Go ahead! The good thing about UU is there is not much priority there, with the most I have seen being Metagrosses bullet punch, which I resist, and Mega Absols sucker punch but it is funny cuz once I set up trick Room as my opponent went for sucker punch which failed and then I LIVED THE NEXT SUCKER PUNCH BY A SLIVER OF HEALTH and swept his team with V-Create. Brick Break is need for rock pokemon like Tyrantrum and Dark types like Houndoom and Crawdaunt

Darnell

Respected.
Go ahead! The good thing about UU is there is not much priority there, with the most I have seen being Metagrosses bullet punch, which I resist, and Mega Absols sucker punch but it is funny cuz once I set up trick Room as my opponent went for sucker punch which failed and then I LIVED THE NEXT SUCKER PUNCH BY A SLIVER OF HEALTH and swept his team with V-Create. Brick Break is need for rock pokemon like Tyrantrum and Dark types like Houndoom and Crawdaunt
Ah! Thanks for the explanation. Guess you need to watch out for Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet. Atleast you can take atleast one hit

Ah! Thanks for the explanation. Guess you need to watch out for Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet. Atleast you can take atleast one hit
Yeah the things that can treaten me the most are the really slow stuff like the slows and reuniclus as I have to trick Room on the switch as they come in, take whatever super effective move they have and destroy with my powerful moves. Victini can also take stuff like CB crawdaunts aqua jet in order to activate WP and sweep

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Endure

Intended for use in UU. Credit for this set goes to Pyrotoz from Youtube, he's the one who either came up with it first, or put it into action for the internet to see first. W.P. + Unburden sounds nice on paper, but this set is the closest I've really come to reliably pulling it off. It's got enough natural bulk that it can switch in on some weak Volt Switches and what not, and if you see the Knock Off or Stone Edge coming, just Endure. After W.P. and Unburden activate, Drifblim sits at 612 sp. atk and 518 speed. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt provide enough coverage that Drifblim can sweep, or at least deal big damage, or just Baton Pass the boosts into something else on the team that can safely switch in.

Pyrotoz has been messing around with Endure + W.P. on his channel for a while now, another set that works if played right, though not as well as this, is on Weak Armor Kabutops: Stone Edge, Aqua Jet, Flail, Endure. Take a physical s.e. hit, defense drops, speed raises one stage, W.P. does it's thing. Call it gimmicky, but it's fun to use, and at least one thing dies.

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Endure

Intended for use in UU. Credit for this set goes to Pyrotoz from Youtube, he's the one who either came up with it first, or put it into action for the internet to see first. W.P. + Unburden sounds nice on paper, but this set is the closest I've really come to reliably pulling it off. It's got enough natural bulk that it can switch in on some weak Volt Switches and what not, and if you see the Knock Off or Stone Edge coming, just Endure. After W.P. and Unburden activate, Drifblim sits at 612 sp. atk and 518 speed. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt provide enough coverage that Drifblim can sweep, or at least deal big damage, or just Baton Pass the boosts into something else on the team that can safely switch in.

Pyrotoz has been messing around with Endure + W.P. on his channel for a while now, another set that works if played right, though not as well as this, is on Weak Armor Kabutops: Stone Edge, Aqua Jet, Flail, Endure. Take a physical s.e. hit, defense drops, speed raises one stage, W.P. does it's thing. Call it gimmicky, but it's fun to use, and at least one thing dies.
I've been using a WP Unburden Drifblim for a few months now, & I absolutely love it, to the point where I've built successful teams around it. My set is:

EVs: Depends
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Magic Coat
- Acrobatics
- Stockpile
- Baton Pass

The EVs should be tweaked depending on what you want Drifblim to survive, I generally put more into Def than SpD (for Knock Offs) & a fair amount in Speed so the Unburden boost lets me outspeed a lot of opponents, but I'm always tweaking it. It doesn't need much HP investment at all because it's already got a great HP stat. I lead with it & Magic Coat to bounce back any typical hazards/status, it's also useful in bouncing back Taunt/Roar/Whirlwind which would otherwise stop it from working. Then Stockpile, take the SE hit, & judge whether I can Stockpile again or if it's better to Baton Pass. Passing +2/+2/+2/+2/ to a mixed/bulky attacker can give you an easy sweep. What has struck me is just how often it works, Drifblim can be made to take a lot of strong hits if you get the EVs right, it just depends on what threats or tier you plan on encountering. I've built teams around Drifblim + 5 great receivers & it's worked wonders. The great thing is that you don't just have to pass to attackers, defensive mons really appreciate the defensive boosts too, especially one that have a decent attack to use. Uninvested +2 Acrobatics is a really strong attack too, so a Conkeldurr for instance can be gotten rid off if it used Knock Off. It's not going to work every time of course, & I make sure that the rest of the team works well together without needing Drifblim, but a successful BP is pretty much my win condition. It's not a set that will gain much usage, some people will consider this to be gimmicky of course, but in a way I prefer that because the surprise factor does help a lot with this. I personally don't consider it to be a gimmick though. Doesn't make it a gimmick if it's works as well as any other setup, regardless if Drifblim is rarely used, it just makes it an uncommon, but pretty effective strategy.

What I've found is its best to have Weakness Policy on unpredictable bulky Pokemon.
Predictable WP Pokemon like DD Dragonite and Aegislash can be countered and the WP worked around.
Some of my favourites to use are Magic Guard Clefable and although its hard to get right, Unburden Hawlucha.
Most people don't see the WP coming, and they go ahead, and hit with various super-effective hits, and sweep insues.

I also have been using Weakness policy Rhyperior in UU and RU. Rock polish so it can get the speed it needs to sweep and physical moves such as EQ, stone edge, and ice punch for coverage. Also with the ability solid rock, it takes 3/4's of the damage. I have also tested in ou as well. Its a little bit more difficult since there are more stronger pokes, but once the set up is done, its hard to stop the sweep.

Last edited:
Here's my Aegislash:

WP Aegislash
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 sp. attack, 252 HP, 4 speed
Moveset: Autotomize
Kings shield
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
The Item should be obvious(Weakness Policy if you're an idiot)

that actually looks horrible no offense
Weakness Policy is a very fun item to use, especially on things people don't expect to see.
From experience, it works better if the WP holder has a priority, that way things don't go against you in case you're up against a priority user or with better speed, which is generally the case because bulky Pokemon are usually slow.

I know this guy is extremely situational, but I've been enjoying using an Umbreon with Weakness Policy:

Burakki (Umbreon) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Payback
- Moonlight/Rest
- Sucker Punch

Curse grants great stat boosts to Umbreon and used in-conjunction with Payback as his main STAB.
Once WP activates, and Umbreon survives the hit (which usually he does, thanks to excellent bulk from both sides of the spectrum), you can proceed to Sucker Punch since the opponent expect to score a KO with the next attack not knowing you have a priority.
Moonlight helps patch up the damage when using Curse, or Rest if status might be a bigger problem.
Wait......Why would you take damage using curse when Umbreon is dark type?

Has anyone suggested weakness policy sharpedo?

Sharpedo @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Aqua Jet
- Poison Jab
- Crunch

NOTE: Endure is incombatible with Speed Boost Have too use rough skin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)