Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I see a lot of discussion about weather when it comes to VGC. However, most of it seems to revolve around specific Pokemon, their weather effects, and moves / abilities that take advantage of it. It is a given that in a VGC match, there will be a weather effect for most of it - most likely Hail or Rain. However, I don't believe that running a "Rain" or "Hail" team is the way to do it.

Looking at the most successful VGC teams, they have around two - sometimes three - weather-inducing Pokemon. The most common being Abomasnow, Kyogre, and Groudon.

Weather control is the most important part of this metagame. If you are too reliant on weather effects, you will lose. I'm not saying don't put Thunder and Blizzard on things - on the contrary, I'd stick 'em on everything - but I wouldn't bet on always being able to use them at whim. All it takes is a switch-in to kill it.

How are you using weather at VGC and how have you seen it used?

I'd say that controlling weather is much more popular that "abusing" it. Relying on a designated weather effect for your team seems borderline foolish at this point, since so many teams pack multiple weather users that can disrupt your strategy with ease. I think most people have caught onto this, and I for one have not seen too many people thinking they can get away with using Pokemon like Exeggutor, Shiftry, or Kabutops, especially as non-leads.

Instead, I think most teams consider weather to be somewhat of a luxury, or something they can utilize briefly at the start of the game (examples: AbomaTwo and Groudon+Shiftry leads). By luxury I mean that packing Blizzard on Pokemon like Kyogre, Palkia, and Mewtwo is great if you think you have a good shot at utilizing it, but is not something you rely on spamming by any means. In addition to this, weather is also used to control the game by preventing your opponent from setting up would-be powerful strategies that rely on weather. I'd say it's pretty dangerous to not have a weather-user that you can rely on to stifle your opponent's strategy in the late game, whether it be a reserve or lead.

Ludicolo and Kyorge leads are also popular. Making Ludicolo the fastest Fake Out if your going to use Swift Swim

It is so hard to make good use of Rayquaza because every team carries an Ice attack.

I kinda have a weather team going, but trying not to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak because its too predictable

I tried rain, and it went o.k. except I found out relying on the weather is very risky. It changes too much, so I was often dead when kyogre went out. I plan to use rain just to ruin my opponents strategy now. Strange, weather always seemed good on paper.

Weather tends to play a huge role most of the time. I've usually done pretty well with 2- or 3-weatherinducers. :3

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tried rain, and it went o.k. except I found out relying on the weather is very risky. It changes too much, so I was often dead when kyogre went out. I plan to use rain just to ruin my opponents strategy now. Strange, weather always seemed good on paper.
Rain only really seems to ruin Blizzard spam. Pokemon like Palkia and Kyogre carry Blizzard and Thunder I found. Honestly, I think sun and sand are the most disruptive because few people try to take advantage of it =P However, Kyogre is so goddamn powerful it's hard to stay away from him.

Kyogre and Abomasnow are the biggest threats in the game at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)