Weather Looks Sandy!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Shiny Charizard, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Shiny Charizard

Shiny Charizard

Sandstorm BW

INTRODUCTION

Hey this is Shiny Charizard. I am relatively new to competitive battling, as my friend only told me about it and convinced me to take part in it last year. I have constructed many teams based on many strategies that failed. Finally, I made the whole team a strategy and managed to make this team. This is the first team I am totally serious about, and not willing to give up. It has done me well, and I decided to post it here. Please don't hold back on advice. I'm willing to hear what I might want to adjust to perfect the team, even though it's my first. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you like the team.

(Priority Crippler)
    Sableye- 252 HP, 120 Defense, 136 Special Defense
    Ability: Prankster
    Nature: Calm
    Moves: Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Night Shade
    Item: Leftovers

Many of you out there might be wondering why in the world I would make the stupid decision to use Sableye, when I have the option of Gliscor who doesn't take any damage from Sandstorm and has Poison Heal for repetitive recovery? Well, my answer to you is that Gliscor can be outsped and KO'd. Also, Poison Heal with Stealth Rock on Gliscor is illegal, so Gliscor kind of becomes worthless. I was going to use it until I found that out. But hey! Sableye is good enough to replace that. Having no weaknesses has helped Sableye achieve what it does. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Pokemon die to this guy because they use Spikes or Substitute or a Status Inducing Move after priority Taunt. Then, I can use Will-O-Wisp so that physical threats find themselves lost. Recover is instant recovery, and Night Shade is for a guaranteed infliction of 100 damage.

This guy has proven well in competitive battling for me, even before I started using Sandstorm. He beats up Skarmory, occasionally the Dragon Tail Shuffler Dragonite, but not anywhere near as often, and many leads that use SR. He also resists Rapid Spin, and Will-O-Wisp makes my Tyranitar's life a lot easier. He saved me from many battles and, he has found a place on this team for doing so.

(Bulky Mixed Weather Inducer)
    Tyranitar- 252 HP, 64 Special Attack, 192 Special Defense
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Nature: Sassy
    Moves: Crunch, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Stealth Rock
    Item: Chople Berry

It's not a sandstorm team without the sandstorm, am I right? I chose to use Tyranitar over Hippowdon because of its all around much better stats, though it carries more weaknesses. The EV spread helps it tank, switch in often, and stay as a devastating mixed sweeper. No EV's on Speed allow him to be slower than other weather Pokemon, guaranteeing that Sandstorm will be the currently active weather. STAB Crunch handles many opposing foes with ease, namely Jellicent. Ice Beam destroys other threats such as Gliscor, Breloom, Hydreigon, etc. and counters opposing Sandstorm teams, as well. Fire Blast can be useful against occasional Hail teams and Sun teams with Grass type users that spam out back to back Solarbeams. Stealth Rock is very useful as many Pokemon on my team aren't ones people would prefer to stay in with. SR can also wipe out many abusers of the sun and prevents Ninetales from repetitively switching in. Constant switching out from being killed or scared gives SR a nice place on my team.

(Trick Room Sweeper)
    Reuniclus- 192 HP, 64 Defense, 252 Special Attack
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Nature: Quiet
    Moves: Trick Room, Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball
    Item: Life Orb

Reuniclus is one of the few special sweepers sandstorm has to offer. With Magic Guard, he takes no damage from entry hazards, is unaffected by moves that don't inflict damage, and takes no Life Orb recoil. The tank EV spread allows him to switch into attacks and inflict loads of damage to the opponent. Trick Room holds many benefits for my team as it can easily be outsped. I use Psychic over Psyshock due to the better base power and the ability to kill Machamp and Conkeldurr more easily. But what about Blissey? Blissey can be pretty much recked by my Scizor or Tyranitar, as they are both physical/mixed. Focus Blast lets Reuniclus counter Tyranitar while Shadow Ball is for Jellicent and Shadow Tag Chandelure. All these moves boosted by a Life Orb makes Reuniclus a devastating sweeper.

(Bulky Physical Sweeper)
    Scizor- 40 Attack, 252 HP, 216 Special Defense
    Ability: Technician
    Nature: Adamant
    Moves: Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, Superpower, Roost
    Item: Life Orb

Scizor is my main sweeper on this team. He runs the bulky set so he can easily boost his Attack and shrug off the damage with his defenses and then use Roost, or while sweeping he can heal Life Orb damage with Roost. A STAB Technician +6 Life Orb Bullet Punch is his main sweeping move. Superpower is used to get rid of other Steel types and Magnezone. Also, he happens to be another great rain counter, as he actually gains from Fire type moves being a lot less common. He has Adamant nature over Brave as it is pointless to be faster in Trick Room if he is just going to spend those turns boosting his Attack.

(Special Sweeper and Sun Counter)
    Heatran- 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Special Defense
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Timid
    Moves: Flamethrower, Overheat, HP Ice, Earth Power
    Item: Choice Scarf

Heatran is my counter to Sun teams. Flash Fire renders all Sun-boosted fire type moves useless and makes Heatran even more powerful under the opposing sun team. Heatran has great synergy with Scizor, taking in its only fire type weakness and using it to boost itself. Chlorophyll users also prove ineffective against Heatran as their Solarbeams are 4x resisted. In the case of the sun being up and a Chlorophyll Venusaur with Earthquake, on both smogon and in competitive battles, a Venusaur with Earthquake will be Lonely, allowing a Scarfed Timid 252 EV on Speed Heatran to barely outspeed it and wreck it with a sun-boosted Flamethrower/Overheat. Overheat is a devastatingly powerful move with STAB that lets Heatran defeat monstrous walls. HP Ice can hit ground type Pokemon (namely Landorus) for a doubled or quadrupled amount of damage. Earth Power can counter other Heatrans or other fire types. All this added to the damage the opponent takes from SR. With such great synergy with Scizor and the ability to majorly counter Sun teams, Heatran has easily found a place on my team.

Jellicent- 252 HP, 36 Defense, 220 Special Defense
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Calm
    Moves: Scald, Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Giga Drain
    Item: Leftovers

Jellicent? Might this surprise you?Well, here's the idea. Due to my team not being able to handle bulky water type Pokemon, I gave the team the addition of Jellicent. Jellicent over here has Water Absorb to nullify incoming water type attacks and regain health from those attacks. This comes very much in handy as many walls in Drizzle only carry one attack, 99% of the time, Scald, because of the chance to burn the opponent. This gives me a huge advantage, as even when the opponent has more than just one attack, my whole team suffers to water more than Thunder or Hurricane, so Jellicent will most of the time face a water type attack when switching in. He runs a set that makes the most of his Special Defense and HP while not letting his Defense totally fail. The investment in HP and Special Defense allows Jellicent to stand Thunder in rain. Scald is a useful STAB move Jellicent can use. Will-O-Wisp and the chance of burn from Scald halves the foe's attack stat to make up for Jellicent's lack of Defense. Giga Drain is used to drain the HP out of other water type Pokemon I am up against on opposing Drizzle Teams. Recover is to regain health. Basically, this guy is an HP monster, as he constantly regains health, first with the Water Absorb, next with Giga Drain, and finally with Leftovers.

I look at him and see the best counter to rain teams. Except for one problem. Most teams usually carry a Pokemon that abuses the rain and uses it to fire Hurricanes and Thunders. Rotom-W is a popular choice, but Giga Drain can surprise it and befall it as Grass is very uncommon due to its poor lack of resistances and lack of supereffectives. My only concern is Dragonite, as both Scald and Giga Drain doesn't even scratch it. I was considering Ice Beam, but I don't know what move to get rid of. Any suggestions will be helpful.

CONCLUSION

That's all. The conclusion here is to clarify anything. Starting with Sableye over Gliscor. The main reason I use Sableye over Gliscor is because Poison Heal is illegal with Stealth Rock in its movepool. Otherwise, I would use Gliscor. The other thing is that for Jellicent, please tell me what set you think is best. Right now, since it's a rain counter pokemon, I'm thinking that a set with Giga Drain, as it makes Jellicent hard to deal with and majorly counters opposing pokes, and maybe Scald. After all, in a rain situation, Scald will be a lot more useful than Ice Beam, as it can get STAB and boosted. Also, just to clarify, this team does not carry a Rapid Spinner because the lack of weaknesses to SR and priority Taunt on Sableye, which prevents hazards from being set up. Not to mention, entry hazards are said to have depleted in usage from the transition of DP to BW, as new pokemon/abilities were distributed; ie magic guard and magic bounce. Otherwise, I'd be using Forretress right now. Also, I have been considering replacing a sweeper in return for Landorus or Terrakion. Any help on that will be very appreciated. Finally, I'm so sorry about the lack of sprites. Usually I post things on smogon from my laptop, but since the Wi-Fi is not working right now, I have to use my iPhone, so I cannot copy and paste sprites. Thank you.

Thank you guys so much for your help. I really appreciate it. :)
  2. Agiligross

Agiligross

Interesting Sandstorm team you have there mate.

Maybe instead of Jellicent as your bulky-water. You can use Gastrodon instead as it might fit the role better and does not mind the Sandstorm.

Also, you have Trick Room which is very nice with your Reuniclus, but hinders your Scarfed Heatran so you might want to reconsider that, and maybe just run a bulky set with Reuniclus or Heatran instead of Scarf.

Using Pyschic over Psyschock is not that good of idea, as you mentioned, Blissey will easily wall that Reuniclus no problem.

Another thing is you might want to consider into a physical wall pokemon, as you have no physical wall at all and easily be sweep due to lack of speed within your team.

I really enjoy your Sandstorm a lot and hope you have good luck with it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)