Weather or Not Here I Come!

Should I switch Drifblim with

• Total voters
The team from a glance

Since the release of the rules for VGC 2012 I have totally against weather-based teams, before I didn't want to use it. Now I want to counter it, and hopefully every other type of team, Tailwind, Trick Room and varieties of the lot. Hopefully I can get some common team threats on here so I can talk about how I'd beat them.

Gallade@Psychic Gem
Steadfast
Adamant
252HP/252Atk/4SpDef
Ally Switch
Psycho Cut
Close Combat
Shadow Sneak

I thought I was really smart for thinking of Ally Switch Gallade, but I'm probably not alone. Anyway, Close Combat and Psycho Cut are for good stab moves, with good coverage and Shadow Sneak is for sash users and ghost and psychic types.

Ambipom@Flight Gem
Adamant
Technician
4HP/252Atk/252Speed
Fake Out
Acrobatics
Taunt
Protect

With Ambipom I get one of the fastest Fake outs in the metagame. Couple that with a Flight Gem Acrobatics and you have a KOd Ludicolo, Infernape, Toxicroak, Abomasnow and others. Speedy Taunts help me stop Tailwind and Trick Room.

Gengar@Ghost Gem
Modest
Levitate
4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Sludge Bomb
Protect

With Gengar, I've got a fast powerful users. There's one reason why Gengars on my team: I HATE CRESSELIA. So with Ambipom's Fake Out and Shadow Gem Shadow Ball I barely KO Cresselia. Thunderbolt is for Water's and flyings. Sludge Bomb is a strong stab move for things that resist Shadow Ball.

Golduck@Water Gem
Cloud Nine
Quiet
252HP/252SpAtk/4SpDef
Protect
Scald
Ice Beam
Psyshock

I wasen't a fan on using Lickilicky, it seemed to weigh down my team, so I tried this guy, the only problems i've been having is that Iron Ball Politoed Outslows me, so maybe I'll run an Iron ball. But if that's better, i'd rather run Lickilicky. Water Gem Scald hurts like a motherf'er, Ice beam is for grass and dragons. Psyshock is for everything that resists that.

Hydregion@Choice Scarf*
Modest
Levitate
4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
Flamethrower
Surf

Well I'm not sure what fillers to choose, which is why this pokemon has an "*" next to it. Scarfed Hydreigon is a nice counter to ZapChomp because it resists Discharge and Heat Wave and outspeeds Garchomp so I can hit it with Dragon Pulse. Dark Pulse is for STAB, Flamethrower is for coverage. Surf is for good AoE damage + STORM Drain Gastrodon

Gastrodon@Rindo Berry
Bold
Storm Drain
252HP/252Def/4SpDef
Muddy Water
Icy Wind
Toxic
Protect

I just thought using a Scarfed Surf Hydreigon would be good with a Gastrodon, but I'm not sure, these guys are just fillers, a little help with replacements would be nice, thanks. The moveset is standard and self explanatory. I'm starting off by trying a bulkier Gastrodon to see how well that works, as more of a utility than an actual sweeper

Thanks for reading, I really hope I can get some comments on how to improve this, I'm really excited to see whoever comes to this year's VGC!​

I really like you're team and it seems very well-built and balanced. The only suggestion I have is trying Typhlosion over Camerupt. Typhlosion has slightly better SpA and defenses as well as being able to abuse Choice Scarf better with it's MUCH higher speed stat. Although it lacks the coverage that Camerupt has, it also doesn't have a glaring x4 (or x3 factoring in Solid Rock) weakness to the ever-present water in VGC 2012.

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest/Timid
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spd
Moveset:
-Eruption
-Focus Blast
-Protect
-Hidden Power Rock/Grass

For Lucario, I'd use Inner Focus because it doesn't have the bulk to waste a turn getting flinch haxed IMO.

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest/Timid
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spd
Moveset:
-Eruption
-Focus Blast
-Protect
-Hidden Power Rock/Grass
Well Protect with scarf seems kinda pointless, but what about earth power?

I just looked it up and Typhlosion can't learn Earth Power. I would try Solarbeam instead, you'll probably never use it since Typhlo's Scarfed but... I guess it could help against sun teams for one-turn usage??? I don't know lol but it's better than nothing. And Sash on Gallade IMO.

what about explosion+normal gem over acrobatics? an attack with 250 of base power isn't bad for the low attack of drifblim... about thyplosion...fire gem is very good over the scarf. quick attack can replace the speed boost with a +1 priority but typhlosion hasn't got a good attack stat and with a timid/modest nature is really weak but with a naive/hasty nature can be good
one side note: blaziken rules!

what about explosion+normal gem over acrobatics? an attack with 250 of base power isn't bad for the low attack of drifblim... about thyplosion...fire gem is very good over the scarf. quick attack can replace the speed boost with a +1 priority but typhlosion hasn't got a good attack stat and with a timid/modest nature is really weak but with a naive/hasty nature can be good
one side note: blaziken rules!
First of all, normal gem explosion totally gets rid of the whole idea of unburden, drifblim does just fine with it's moveset. Second of all, without a scarf, typhlosion isn't guaranteed to outspeed almost anything, and i'll only gett a boost in power from one eruption, it's not worth it. and obviously quick attack is a terrible decision to run on a special pokemon... quick attack does not make up for a fast eruption, for obvious reasons ( if not obvious enough, eruption is much stronger than quick attack). Third of all, i don't plan on having a good attack stat with a 100% special attacker. So modest is in fact the best nature for a powerhouse special attacker. Fourth of all with a naive or hasty nature, i would be frail as hell when i need survivability to keep eruption strong, and quick attack would still be weak as hell.

You could use Tailwind (on Whimsicott, Drifblim or Zapdos) to speed up Typhlosion without the need of Choice Scarf. That way Typhlosion could still have protect, and change item to something like a Fire Gem to boost Eruption's power even more.

You could use Tailwind (on Whimsicott, Drifblim or Zapdos) to speed up Typhlosion without the need of Choice Scarf. That way Typhlosion could still have protect, and change item to something like a Fire Gem to boost Eruption's power even more.
Now that, my friend, is a good idea. Whimsicott is already responsible for sunny day and possible helping hand, i dont want it tailwinding as well. I think i'd want to put in on drifblim, but would that be worth sacrificing the stockpile/baton pass for maybe something like:
Acrobatics
Sucker Punch
Tailwind
Protect?
If so, then maybe I should change the EV spread to:
252 Atk/4HP/252Speed?
Or should I stick with the bulk set?

That's my first question, my second is, whimsicott or zapdos?

I would replace drifblim with eelektross. Tentecruel wont do anything because Water vs Water is just crap. And, most rain teams have thundurus. Eelektross has no weakness and can kill water types and toxicroaks and ludicolos. Just watch out for Gastrodons. Well if your running a sun team, I am not sure why you didnt put ninetales unless you wanted to make your team look surprising or something. Good Luck!!

nachocheese999;3936279Well if your running a sun team said:
Ok, I'll run Eelektross, is the set listed good? And also I'm not going full out weather team. Cuz I don't want to be another Ninetails user in the weather wars.

Ok, i tried eelecktross, and it did not work too well :(, I'm still getting wrecked mainly by trick room because of all the bulkiness, Idk what to do. Any suggestion on a trick room counter?

If you can, put Trick Room over something on Whimsicott so you can reverse it like right away with priority and all cuz bascially the only other option is to use a TR pokemon of your own I guess :\

If you can, put Trick Room over something on Whimsicott so you can reverse it like right away with priority and all cuz bascially the only other option is to use a TR pokemon of your own I guess :\
K i did that it helps a little, but still, the thing with TR is all the pokemon are bulky as hell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)