Weavile [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
[OVERVIEW]

Weavile prides itself on supporting its team by constraining an opponent's options; one of the fastest Speed tiers in the metagame as well as access to both Fake Out and Feint gives it the ability to properly support offensively oriented teams. In addition, its Dark / Ice coverage lets it hit common metagame threats such as Hydreigon, Latios, Amoonguss, and Aegislash. Unlike most other physical attackers in Doubles OU, Weavile's access to Ice-type STAB moves, in the form of Ice Shard or Icicle Crash, gives it a phenomenal matchup against Landorus-T. On the other hand, Weavile suffers from poor defensive typing, bringing no relevant resistances while also being KOed by nearly any attack. Lacking Life Orb also results in Weavile's STAB moves being rather weak in comparison to those of other hard hitters in the metagame. In addition, while Weavile has many move options, it suffers from four-moveslot syndrome and has to pick and choose depending on what a team needs; oftentimes Weavile finds itself lacking particular utility options and/or Protect.

[SET]
name: Offensive Fake Out
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Icicle Crash / Low Kick
move 4: Ice Shard / Feint / Low Kick
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
ability: Pressure
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Weavile possesses the fastest Fake Out in the Doubles metagame, outspeeding other Fake Out users such as Mega Kangaskhan and Infernape, giving Weavile an offensive advantage over these threats. In addition, its high Speed also lets it outspeed most opposing users of Quick Guard and Wide Guard, which have equal priority to Fake Out. Knock Off lets Weavile hit Ghost-types such as Aegislash and Gengar as well as Psychic-types such as Cresselia. It has the added bonus of removing the foe's item, making it difficult to switch into and also potentially clearing Safety Goggles for sleep users. For example, Keldeo, one of Weavile's strongest counters, will be hesitant to switch into a Knock Off and lose its Life Orb. Icicle Crash lets Weavile check Dragon-types such as Hydreigon while also hitting Grass-types for significant damage. In addition, the move's 30% flinch chance combined with Weavile's high Speed gives it a potential out even for its worst matchups. For its remaining slot, Weavile has many options, ranging from Ice Shard for priority damage to Feint, which takes advantage of Fake Out pressure to punish Protect and supplement a partner's offensive pressure, to Low Kick, which can also be run over Icicle Crash, for covering Steel-types while also hitting Kangaskhan. In addition, Weavile can use Protect to help itself position while its partner takes out a foe or to stall out field conditions such as rain, Tailwind, and Trick Room.

Set Details
========

Weavile's EVs maximize Attack and Speed, letting it outspeed important threats in the base 110 Speed tier, such as Mega Diancie and Latios, as well as faster threats such as offensive Thundurus and Serperior. Focus Sash alleviates Weavile's multiple weaknesses and frailness by allowing it to take two hits instead of one, whereas Life Orb adds to Weavile's damage output, giving Knock Off a chance to OHKO Aegislash and Fake Out + Ice Shard a chance to KO Landorus-T. While Pressure's PP-lowering ability isn't typically very useful, it allows Weavile to scout opposing Pokemon with similar abilities such as Intimidate, Teravolt, and Mold Breaker for Choice Scarves—Pokemon faster than Weavile with said abilities will have their ability announced first. Pickpocket can be used to steal an item such as opposing Life Orb or Choice Scarf when Focus Sash is used up, but note that it should only be used with a Focus Sash.

Usage Tips
========

Use Weavile to remove threats such as Aegislash and Latios offensively, clearing the way for a partner. Fake Out should be used to help a partner set up, such as Volcarona with Quiver Dance or Azumarill with Belly Drum, or provide offensive pressure for partners that enjoy Fake Out support, which most often is most convenient at the onset of a battle. Be wary of opponents using Weavile's Fake Out as an opportunity for free switches; in some scenarios, (AC) simply attacking can be a much better option. When necessary, switching Weavile out to refresh Fake Out later, especially when it is threatened or lacks the ability to damage foes, allows Weavile can allow it to impact the game later. Avoid using Weavile as a switch-in, as it lacks meaningful resistances and switching it in on attacks will break its Focus Sash.

Team Options
========

Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Diancie, and Mega Gardevoir, which struggle against Steel-types, appreciate Weavile clearing such threats for them. Pokemon that utilize Fake Out support to take the opportunity to set up, such as Azumarill and Kangaskhan, appreciate Weavile's ability to facilitate a free turn. Weavile itself appreciates partners that deal with opposing Fire-types well, such as Keldeo and Landorus-T. The offensive potential of Fake Out and Feint works best with offense-centric teams; hard hitters such as Deoxys-A and Mega Charizard Y appreciate free turns and Weavile's ability to break Protect and Wide Guard, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Beat Up combined with Justified Pokemon such as Terrakion threatens the possibility of an intimidating +6 boosted sweep—Beat Up will trigger Justified with each hit for Attack boosts on Weavile's partner. Even without Beat Up or ever setting up, Weavile and Terrakion synergize well in putting enormous pressure on opponents. Weavile can also run Iron Tail for more damage on Fairies and to surprise Diancie, matchups that are typically extremely poor for it. Ice Punch is an option for a more accurate Ice-type STAB move, but it lacks the power and flinch chance of Icicle Crash.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Fire-types such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y hit Weavile super effectively while taking its STAB moves neutrally. Fighting-type coverage easily threatens to KO Weavile and, in the case of Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch, breaks through Focus Sash. Weavile also lacks the ability to hit Fairy-types such as Mega Gardevoir and Diancie, as well as Keldeo, which threaten it with super effective STAB attacks.

**Speed**: While Weavile is fast, opposing Choice Scarf users, such as Landorus-T, Genesect, and Kyurem-B, can threaten to outspeed and KO it, while naturally faster Pokemon or Pokemon possessing good priority attacks such as Deoxys-A or and Talonflame can outspeed Weavile before it can act. Without Protect, Weavile also lacks the ability to defensively position against threats faster than it.
**Intimidate and Burns**: Being a physical attacker, Weavile is heavily crippled by Intimidate from threats such as Scrafty and Landorus-T and being burned by Will-O-Wisp from, for instance, Rotom-W.

**Speed Control**: Not running Protect leaves Weavile vulnerable to opposing speed control effects, such as Trick Room and Tailwind. Being in a situation where Weavile moves after the foe exposes its frailness, leaving it vulnerable to being KOed. While Weavile does have priority attacks, they lack the damage output of Weavile's other STAB moves.

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
apparently still QC but FTR you should be using pickpocket since 1) pressure is useless, and 2) to be a jew and steal contact items when your sash breaks, like stealing a scarf from lando-t on a sack or some shit

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'd say Pressure isn't totally useless and should still be slashed first to avoid stealing an item that you don't want to steal, like a Life Orb when you're sitting at 1HP. It also reveals the presence of opposing scarfers like Kyube if Teravolt is revealed before Pressure, which Pickpocket can't do. Slash Pickpocket on the set though

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
yeah I asked cuz I was like "why the fuck use pressure" and kylecakes was like "it's for scarf-scouting"

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
uh if ya'll wanna slash pressure first, it's fine, but......

just using your own example, the only reason not wanting an LO on weavile after its sash is gone is if you really wanna mix up later with fake out pressure but that ignores the fact that lo boosted knock off hurts like a bitch as a last way to say "fuck you" to your opp, not to mention that again, weavile is often down to 1hp and will frequently only take about 2-3 hits throughout a game so just having that option to dick a mon and steal its item is invaluable, whereas pressure may only be useful once and figuring out a scarf is incredibly simple if you have your own scarfer or just have a basic understanding of team builds and speed tiers. and also your overvaluing how useful pressure is on weavile for scarf-checking when comparing it to the actual way weavile works in the metagame. i mean between weavile and the potential scarfer, theres also 2 other pokemon on the field that can be used to scarf-check (both pokemons partners), the fact that there are maybe 2 pokemon that really run scarf or another set at a frequent enough rate to need to want to check (lando-t and kyub) and others like gene, swine, thund-t aren't used frequently enough to warrant pressure, and that with fake out can work as a scarf check anyway depending on the speeds of weaviles or the scarfers partner if you're familiar with speed tiers. i mean, even just the builds which use weavile are already decked with ways to check if an opposing mon is scarfed since weavile loves to play on fast ho's which often have a scarfer to lead with and frequently have multiple mons that are 108+ spe or higher so, once again, just running fake out and seeing which mon would move first between weaviles partner or w/e u faked out would be enough of a test.

Also i just want to say how proud i am of checkmater for following qcs guidance instead of just doing everything on his own. ily check :toast:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
snow day so I'm just doing random shit all day :)

I'm having a little trouble understanding where you're going because I feel like you put 4-5 points into one paragraph :/
but the way I understand it is you're saying

1) Life Orb recoil killing yourself is ehh but you get strong as fuck knock offs
2) You don't need to pressure-check scarves, due to Fake Out and partners
3) Scarves aren't popular/there aren't any real surprise scarf users
4) Fake Out can check scarf for you, through seeing flinch order-> other things (but you can't just know from your partner/their partner, unless they have a similar announcing ability)

I'd just say that I've used pickpocket all the time before I knew pressure-checking was a thing, and I literally almost never picked up an item. I can't really tell you why, but it seems like the only real physical hits that you could potentially steal items on are talon bb and lando superpower/u-turn (not sure if this breaks sash). Besides that, I can't readily think of any particular hits that will break sash that are physical contact, outside of maybe something like Bisharp Iron Head.

Plus, knowing their item BEFORE the Fake Out turn is crucial, as you can just skip having to Fake Out and outright just click Icicle Crash, say, on a LandoT. Or you can not have to protect Char Y when you see kyurem-black isn't scarfed, stuff like that.

I'm also hesitant to put this much elaboration into an analysis because it's incredibly edge-case and minutia that doesn't feel necessary in an analysis

Also to bring up a game where this was relevant, I think Deo Speed brought Weavile Beat up + Terrakion vs Talkingtree and he knew his opp's landot wasn't scarfed because his pressure went first, letting him just beat up + rock slide. Granted, he also learned this through the orders of the flinches, but it potentially changed his t1 play heavily.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • make it more clear that weavile functions well as an offensive support mon, it does this with a good movepool of stabs and support moves. because it gets shut down by so many common pokemon, like mega kangaskhan or mega diancie, it cant function as a strong attacker on its own.
Moves
  • the great thing about using weavile as a fake out user is that, since fake out and quick guard have the same priority, it can use its speed to immobilize quick guard users such as keldeo or terrakion or their allies.
  • because of this, weavile also makes for a great user of feint, as many opponents will attempt to double protect rather than be able to quick guard when predicting a fake out.
  • mention protect in moves, its a frail mon that could benefit from it for stalling out tailwind/trick room
Set Details
  • elaborate on how exactly using pressure is able to scout for an opponent's choice scarf
  • mention that pickpocket can only be used with focus sash
Team Options
  • specify fairies, so like mega diancie or mega gardevoir
  • weavile killing steels sounds to me like something that new users wouldnt be able to wrap their heads around, so give examples of steels that weavile threatens, like jirachi and aegislash, and heatran with low kick.
  • please dont mention beat up, it is a bad gimmick and it is the absolute last thing that we want to be promoting
Other Options
  • do mention beat up, but discredit it for being part of an easily-stopped gimmick
Checks & Counters
  • in typing advantage, add fairies like mega gardevoir and sylveon, rocks like mega diancie and terrakion, and bulky waters such as suicune and rotom-w
  • add a speed control tag, weavile's frailness leaves it useless in the face of tailwind, trick room, and thunderwave
  • "misc" should be "miscellaneous". i think its also supposed to be listed as the last tag.

1/3

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
kinda drunk but implemented,

on beatup: I really think beatup+terrak isn't an "easily stopped gimmick" or a "bad gimmick" by any means. It's extremely powerful and has been shown to be such many times in the past. Considering that most usages of Weavile competitively have been Beat Up, it's good enough to have a Team Options mention.

P sure I did everything else xzern

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
If Beat Up isn't going to be mentioned in Moves in any way, then it doesn't make sense to include a strategy based around the move in Team Options. Give it a strong mention in OO for now, TBD on whether it stays that way - QC will talk about it

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
talked to qc, what you have now is fine (strong mention in oo but nowhere else). u can have 1/3

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • Put some dark only targets, Latios is also weak to Ice
Set
  • I would slash Feint before Ice Shard imo, just overall better utility
Moves
  • You probably have to note that fake out + ice shard w/ Life Orb is a roll on lando at -1 even though it seems obvious
  • Protect isn't slashed anywhere on the set, don't need it here
  • You should note that Low Kick doesn't do a lot of damage without Life Orb
Set Details
  • "Life Orb adds to Weavile's damage, letting it KO Aegislash from full" - 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 276-328 (85.1 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO - letting it what
  • Pickpocket is bad and way too situational imo, Shaian's retired anyway why are we listening to him
Usage Tips
  • "Cycle Weavile... Avoid using Weavile as a switchin" This could use some rewording n_n
Team Options
  • You still have beat up with Terrakion here
  • Again, you can't really "kill steels" besides Bisharp if you aren't Life Orb, you can definitely chunk them though
Other Options
  • weather setting moves? i've literally never seen that and with weavile being one of those mons that really suffers from four move slot syndrome that seems like a total waste
Checks & Counters
  • looks good !

I've never done an AM check before pls don't hurt me guys (as u know check don't implement without QC approval)

talkingtree

large if factual
*A wild Groot appears*
*He seems to want to give you a QC check*
*Accept? Y/N*

Pretty good check n10sit, all of the points you made are totally valid. Usually I would prefer that if you notice something wrong, that you also give an example of how to fix it (eg: "Put some dark only targets such as Cresselia and Aegislash, Latios is also weak to Ice"). Also, make sure that you know which info to put in which section - there were a couple instances of you discussing Set Details things in Moves. This info is all found in the pinned posts at the top of the forum. Keep up the checks though n_n

I'm gonna write up my own check, many of the points will likely overlap with n10sit's, but just implement what I have here and you'll have a joint QC 2/3 from us.

Overview
  • Listing at least one of Jirachi, Cresselia, and Aegislash will fix the issue noted above - up to you which one to include
Set
  • I'm actually ok with leaving these in their listed order - Ice Shard does some actual damage that Feint just can't get. I'd actually suggest removing the Ice Shard slash found in the third moveslot though - the only 4 move combination that this removes is FO/Knock/Shard/Feint, and that triple priority really isn't necessary.
Moves
  • Fake Out outspeeding Quick Guard/Wide Guard doesn't only immobilize any one Pokemon, it also prevents Quick Guard or Wide Guard from going up in the first place, allowing your partner to attack more freely
  • It isn't "Dark" that hits Ghosts and Psychics, it's Knock Off
  • It's worth mentioning that Icicle Crash also has a chance to induce a flinch in the opponent, which can be really useful with Weavile's high Speed stat
  • Low Kick should be on its own, not on the same line as Ice Shard. Also, the way you have it worded right now it sounds like Kangaskhan is a Steel type. Maybe put "Mega Kangaskhan and Steel-types not named Aegislash or Jirachi"
  • Feint also disables Wide Guard for the turn, opening up more options to Weavile's teammate. Also talk about how Fake Out + Feint can create mindgames, giving Weavile the option to punish using Protect or not using Protect
  • Make sure when you talk about Protect in your write up that you mention why it's not listed on the main set (Weavile gains lots of utility from having access to four different attacks)
Set Details
  • Maximizing Speed does more than just outspeed 110s - it also beats threats slightly faster than that such as Thundurus, Serperior, and Raikou, all of which Weavile can hit for decent damage. Also specify that Weavile needs Jolly to outspeed these threats
  • Reword your point about Focus Sash, because right now it sounds like Focus Sash improves Weavile's defenses as opposed to just giving it a second chance
  • As n10 pointed out, Knock Off is only a roll to OHKO Aegis so specify that or find a new target to talk about. Also as he said, -1 is important to note for Lando-T references
  • Ok so shaian, even though he's retired, is still more important and relevant than n10sit so leave the Pickpocket mention :^)
Usage Tips
  • Since Fake Out is technically an attack, in your point about opponents using Fake Out as an opportunity to switch, specify that using Knock Off or Icicle Crash is an option to punish the switch in
  • Clarify the Cycle/switch in point that n10 was talking about to clarify that Weavile should only be cycled in off the loss of a teammate or a slow pivoting move
  • Talk about Feint, should Weavile carry it, can break through Wide Guard, Quick Guard, or Protect to allow a partner Volcarona, Azumarill, or Kangaskhan respectively to continue their rampage. You don't have to use that exact wording but I think Feint is a move that is fairly distinctive and worth pointing out how to use it
Team Options
  • Talk about Jirachi as a Steel-type that Weavile threatens, as it's probably the most threatening to the Fairy-types you talked about aside from maybe Aegislash.
  • Also point out that the Fairy-types you'd pair Weavile with appreciate having Feint support to prevent Wide Guard from stopping their best attacks (Diamond Storm and Hyper Voice)
  • Terrak is still worth pointing out although they share a Fighting-type weakness because of its ability to remove Fire-types and its Quick Guard preventing opposing priority from taking out Weavile, plus Feint + Rock Slide is neato. However, remove the Beat Up mention here.
Other Options
  • Beat Up on Terrak works because of Justified, be sure to point that out
  • Since Protect is mentioned in Moves, it doesn't need to be here
  • Weather-setting moves is weird as n10 said - nix that point
  • Ice Punch can provide a 100% accurate Ice-type move if you don't like Icicle Crash's chance to miss, but it's weaker
Checks and Counters
  • In the point about Speed Control, point out that Weavile has ways to get around TWave, TR, and TWind by using its priority moves. Regardless, it is still something that Weavile struggles with so leave the point.
  • Under Misc, point out that Inner Focus Pokemon such as Kangaskhan can take Weavile's Fake Out and hit back as if nothing happened
Tag me when you implement this so that I can go over it one last time before you write it up, but chances are this is everything.

talkingtree

large if factual
Okay just a few things:
  • The flinch chance is important to note because in the rare case that Weavile is in a 1v1 situation at the end of the game, Icicle Crash flinches might be your only option. I got a key Icicle Crash flinch just today against Memoric and that threat of flinches (just like a Rock Slide) can pressure people into not risking getting flinched.
  • "letting it roll to KO Aegislash" (in Set Details) doesn't really make sense - no need to fix it now but make sure that you reword this in writeup
  • All of QC talked before I wrote up my analysis and agreed on Beat Up recommended as a strong mention in OO. Since Beat Up isn't on the main set, putting it in Team Options doesn't make any sense. Remove it.
I appreciate you pointing out your concerns with my edits (although you really could do better than "i felt retarded having to do this"), but in the future please either implement the check and then ask below in your "implemented" post or message me privately while you're doing the check to ask why I included what I did. If your reasoning is sound then I'll be happy to listen to it and potentially change my mind with what I've written. However, you really need to implement what a QC member tells you to implement. People who listen to us and don't push back are people who we're more likely to give more analyses to.

No need to implement those before writing up though, so take QC 2/3 and write this up with those notes in mind. Thanks!

talkingtree

large if factual
Remove the "Even without Beat up..." sentence when you talk about it in OO, since that's more a Team Options thing. Your call as to whether to include Terrak in Team Options separately. Other than that, good work and write 'er up!

• (overview) I don't think access to Fake Out makes it have a great lando-t matchup, just the Ice STAB. You also already mention Fake Out a bit earlier so I'd remove the Fake Out part
  • (overview) I've been disappointed with Weavile's power too but saying its STABs are weak w/o Life Orb is probably a bit of an exaggeration.
  • (overview) Saying Weavile is more of an offensive support poke than a sweeper should either be mentioned earlier in the overview or removed, putting it in with its downfalls is kinda weird
  • (moves) First sentence is a run on, make the part about outspeeding QG and WG users its own sentence. Also it doesn't outspeed Mega Aero for WG so just say most users of the moves
  • (moves) You don't really mention that LK is slashed with Icicle Crash, just saying that Weavile has options in the last slot, so just rewrite it a bit to reflect this
  • (set details) Maybe mention how max speed ties with other Weavile and Darkrai? dont really feel strongly/care about this one so feel free to ignore if you don't think it's important, your call
  • (usage tips) Probably mention how Weavile should be used early game to break holes and pressure with Fake Out as it usually lacks the raw power, bulk, or access to spread moves to close up a game. Early game Fake Outs are nice for disruption and creating early momentum
  • (team options) Give examples of set-up mons
  • (OO) Beat Up on a Justified mon such as Terrakion instead of just saying Terrakion. Also mention how it kills Deo-A through sash if you want to lmao
  • (OO) Mention how Ice Punch lacks the flinch chance of Icicle Crash because we all know that's why we use the move anyways
  • (OO) Taunt for TR Prevention??? idk man i legitimately spent 10 minutes looking at this thing's PS movepool for more options but it's really really pathetic
  • (OO) white herb is rlly fuckin stupid but it makes fake out + ice shard a guaranteed kill on a landorus-t lead lol s/o shaian
  • (checks) Keldeo not being mentioned in typing advantage is criminal. Also replace Heatran example with Rotom-H as Heatran gets dunked by Low Kick
  • (checks) I'd just remove the Misc section here, it's pretty ehhh and unnecessary. Tar isn't exactly the most amazing Weavile check and you already mentioned Kang earlier.

tag me when implemented checkmater75

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
didn't put ice shard white herb cuz I love it but it's really not worth it. They'll see it immediately and they won't stay in anyways

implemented beatup comments but... terrak is the only beatup mon so I'd like to change that back

yea it was kind of a stretch because seeing such a lame OO makes me sad :(

[15:40] +talkingtree: i'd say "justified mons like terrak"
i double checked with tree and he agrees so pls keep it

also you didn't do this you clown >:(

(overview) Saying Weavile is more of an offensive support poke than a sweeper should either be mentioned earlier in the overview or removed, putting it in with its downfalls is kinda weird

referring to this sentence: Lacking Life Orb also results in Weavile's STABs being rather weak in comparison to other hard-hitters in the meta, and thus Weavile fits better as a offensive support Pokemon rather than a physical sweeper.
3/3 when you do the above thing

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah I saw that but it's referenced as a supporty role earlier in the overview

the issues is that phrasing is awkward. I bring that up as a weak point of weavile in that it doesn't do damage so it's a supporty role which is in conjunction with that so it's a weak point making it imo fit towards the end

also having to apply beat up strats to everything restricts me from commenting too much on terrak ie rock slides and having to use words that are awkward phrasing with beatup sweeping. Like I have to say +6 boosted instead of +6 terrak and let's be real we're always talking about Terrakion for this kind of thing anyways. Do you want me to say justified mons like terrak and then literally just talk about only terrak? like go broad->narrow scope?

edit for reference: talked to qsns we're just removing 2nd half of that sentence, keeping terrak broad->narrow and we 3/3 now

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
check for a check
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Weavile prides itself on supporting its team by constraining an opponent's options; packing one of the fastest Speed tiers in the metagame as well as both Fake Out and Feint gives it the ability to properly support offensively oriented teams. In addition, its Dark- and Ice-Type Dark / Ice coverage lets it hit common metagame threats such as Hydreigon, Latios, Amoonguss, and Aegislash. Unlike most other physical attackers in Doubles OU, Weavile's access to Ice-type STAB moves, either in the form of either Ice Shard or Icicle Crash, (AC) gives it a phenomenal matchup against Landorus-Therian matchup. On the other hand, Weavile suffers from poor defensive typing, bringing no relevant resistances while also being KO'd KOed by nearly any attack. Lacking Life Orb also results in Weavile's STAB moves being rather weak in comparison to those of other hard hitters in the metagame. In addition, while Weavile has many move options, it suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, (RC) and has to pick and choose depending on what a team needs; (ASC) oftentimes Weavile finds itself lacking particular utility options and/or Protect.

[SET]
name: Offensive Fake Out
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Icicle Crash / Low Kick
move 4: Ice Shard / Feint / Low Kick
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
ability: Pressure
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Weavile possesses the fastest Fake Out in the Doubles metagame, outspeeding other Fake Out users such as Mega Kangaskhan and Infernape, giving Weavile an offensive advantage over these threats. In addition, its high speed also lets it Weavile outspeed most opposing Quick Guard and Wide Guard users, which have equal priority to Fake Out. Running Dark-type coverage in the form of Knock Off lets Weavile hit Ghost-types such as Aegislash and Gengar as well as Psychic-types such as Cresselia. It has the added bonus of removing destroying the opponent's foe's item, making it (if it = Weavile change to Weavile; if it = Knock Off leave it as it I guess) difficult to switch into and also potentially clearing Safety Goggles for sleep users. For example, Keldeo, one of Weavile's strongest counters, (AC) will be hesitant to switch into a Knock Off and lose its Life Orb. Weavile's other STAB, Icicle Crash, (RC) lets it Weavile check Dragon-types such as Hydreigon while also hitting Grass-types for significant damage. In addition, Icicle Crash's 30% flinch chance combined with Weavile's high speed gives it an out even for its worst matchups. For its remaining slot, Weavile has many options, ranging from Ice Shard for priority damage to Feint, which takes advantage of Fake Out pressure to punish Protect and supplement a partner's offensive pressure, to Low Kick, which can also be run over Icicle Crash, for covering Steel-types while also hitting Kangaskhan to Feint, which takes advantage of Fake Out pressure to punish Protects and supplementing a partner's offensive pressure. In addition, Weavile can use Protect to help itself position while its partner takes out an opponent foe or to stall out field conditions such as rain, Tailwind, or Trick Room.

Set Details
========

Weavile's EVs maximize Attack and Speed, letting it outspeed important threats in the base 110 base Speed tier, such as Mega Diancie and Latios, as well as higher speed faster threats such as offensive Thundurus and Serperior. Focus Sash alleviates Weavile's multiple weaknesses and frailness by allowing it Weavile to take two hits instead of one, whereas Life Orb adds to Weavile's damage output, giving letting Knock Off be a roll a chance to OHKO Aegislash from full, while also and making Fake Out combined with + Ice Shard a roll on opposing chance to KO Landorus-Therian. While Pressure's PP-lowering ability isn't typically very useful, it allows Weavile to scout opposing Pokemon with similar abilities, (RC) such as Intimidate, Teravolt, and Mold Breaker for Choice Scarves—Pokemon faster than Weavile with said abilities will have their ability announced first. Pickpocket can be used for to stealing an items such as opposing Life Orb or Choice Scarf when Focus Sash is used up, but note that it should only be used with a Focus Sash.

Usage Tips
========

Use Weavile to clear away (use something else there; you say "clearing the way" later in this sentence) threats such as Aegislash and/or Latios offensively, clearing the way for a partner. Fake Out should be used to help a partner set up, such as Volcarona with Quiver Dance or Azumarill with Belly Drum, or provide offensive pressure for partners that enjoy Fake Out support, which most often is most convenient at the onset of a battle. Be wary of opponents using Weavile's Fake Out as an opportunity for free switches; (ASC) in some scenarios simply attacking can be a much better option. When necessary, switching Weavile out to refresh Fake Out later, especially when it is threatened or lacks the ability to damage foes opponents, allows Weavile to impact the game later. Avoid using Weavile as a switch-in, as it lacks meaningful resistances and switching it in on attacks will break its Focus Sash. (AP)

Team Options
========

Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Diancie, and Mega Gardevoir, (AC) which struggle against Steel-types, appreciate Weavile clearing such threats for them. Pokemon that utilize Fake Out support to take the opportunity to set up, such as Azumarill or and Kangaskhan, appreciate Weavile's ability to facilitate a free turn. Weavile itself appreciates partners that deal with opposing Fire-types well, such as Keldeo or and Landorus-Therian. The offensive potential of Fake Out and Feint works best with offense-centric teams; hard hitters such as Deoxys-Attack and Mega Charizard Y appreciate free turns and the ability to breaking Protect and Wide Guard, respectively. (AP)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Beat Up combined with and Justified Pokemon such as Terrakion threatens the possibility of an intimidating +6 boosted sweep—Beat Up will proc trigger Justified with each hit time for Attack boosts on Weavile's partner. Even without Beat Up or ever setting up, Weavile and Terrakion synergize well in putting enormous pressure on opponents. (this should be in Team Options, no?) Weavile can also run Iron Tail for more damage on Fairies and to lure surprise Diancie, matchups that are typically extremely poor for Weavile. Ice Punch is an option for a more accurate Ice-type STAB move, but it lacks the power and flinch chance of Icicle Crash. (AP)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Fire-types such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y hit Weavile super effectively while taking its STAB moves neutrally. In addition, Fighting-type coverage easily threatens to KO Weavile, (RC) and, in the case of Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch, breaks through Focus Sash. Weavile also lacks the ability to hit Fairy-types such as Mega Gardevoir and Diancie, as well as Keldeo, which threaten it with super effective STAB attacks. (AP)

**Speed**: While Weavile is fast, opposing Pokemon using Choice Scarf users, such as (ie Landorus-Therian, Genesect, and Kyurem-Black), (AC) can threaten to outspeed and KO it, while simply naturally faster Pokemon or Pokemon possessing good priority attacks such as Deoxys-Attack or Talonflame can outspeed Weavile before it can act. Without Protect, Weavile also lacks the ability to defensively position against threats faster than it.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Being a physical attacker, Weavile is heavily crippled by Intimidate from threats such as Scrafty or and Landorus-Therian and being burned by Will-O-Wisp, (RC) from, for instance say, a Rotom-Wash heavily cripple its physical damage.

**Speed Control**: Not running Protect leaves Weavile vulnerable to opposing speed control effects, such as Trick Room or and Tailwind. Being in a situation where Weavile moves after the foe opponent exposes Weavile's its frailness, leaving it vulnerable to being KOed. While Weavile does have priority attacks, these often (don't they always pale in damage output compared to Knock Off and Icicle Crash?) pale they can be lacking in damage output compared to the dual STABs of Knock Off and Icicle Crash.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)