Weavile (Analysis)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
why not give wevile this good lead combo

ability bad habit train atk and speed to max
moves counter, ice punch, night slash, fakeout
with a focus sash...;]
Dedicated leads are generally bad this generation, and like the Dream Wprld section says, the loss of Low Kick is bad and Weavile can't hit hard enough to warrant such a set.

I think you should go into detail of each item on the first set a bit, and i personally believe that the expert belt should be mentioned instead of the muscle band (this is of course debatable).

Bluffing a choice band on Weavile is an extremely effective strategy, mostly because of Weavile's relative scarcity. Everyone just assumes that you are stuck on pursuit after you revenge something and bring in ttar, garchomp or some other threat that can set up, many of which are promptly ohko'd (gyarados and roob are notable exceptions).

The expert belt adds another 10% to pursuit should the psychic or ghost choose to stay in (a common occurence with weavile). The life orb will add even more power but you lose the ability to bluff being choiced, which easily becomes the difference between one KO and two.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I agree with Delta, you should run max speed because that extra bulk literally does nothing. Weavile is so frail it hardly matters if you run that extra defense. Sure you can take the odd hit or too, but weakness to Stealth Rock pretty much negates that bulk. Outspeeding Scarftar on the other hand is really awesome, and it makes Weavile deadly against teams that rely on Ttar as their scarfer.

Also agreeing with the Punishment slash. Night Slash doesn't even OHKO Rankurusu (-_-) but it allows Weavile to deal hefty amounts of damage to Rankurusu after a few boosts. Do that and you can consider this stamped.
I've explained this before. Going max speed doesn't do anything besides tie with other Weavile, and the 40 HP EVs allow him to take a Hydro Pump from LO Starmie and Pursuit it to death. There's no reason you should have to take that option off of the table for a suboptimal spread, especially for something as easy to counter as an enemy Weavile.

About Sceptile, Alakazam, and Dugtrio: they're still around, some players use them, and Weavile's job is to be able to beat these guys. They can switch out of Ice Shard, but not Pursuit. Pursuit is one of Weavile's biggest selling points, and it's extremely important that he's able to trap as many Pokemon as possible.

I'll slash Punishment in when I get the chance, simply because Rankurusu is that big of a threat.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Why does surviving Hydro Pump from LO Starmie even matter?
1) You're not directly switching into Starmie, you're revenging it
2) That weakness to Stealth Rock makes that extra bulk neglible

Yes, I am aware that Sceptile and Alakazam are extremely rare but outspeed both of them is better than relying on priority (which doesn't even OHKO either of them at maximum HP)

Also once Alakazam's dreamworld ability is released you can expect its usage to skyrocket so we might as well get preemptive.
Anyway, i'm going to give this analysis my approval now.

I forgot that you still outspeed them anyway. Still, like we said before outspeeding Scarf Tyranitar is pretty important.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Use max Speed. Are you seriously trying to switch Weavile into Starmie's Hydro Pump? For starters it is weak to Stealth Rock and then slap on a Life Orb and you might get one hit off if they don't have the former set up.

SJCrew

1) You're not directly switching into Starmie, you're revenging it
You don't have to wait until something on your team dies when you can get in on 3/4 of its moves for free. With this spread, all of them if rocks aren't up.

Use max Speed. Are you seriously trying to switch Weavile into Starmie's Hydro Pump? For starters it is weak to Stealth Rock and then slap on a Life Orb and you might get one hit off if they don't have the former set up.
When Hydro Pump only hits for 99% max? Yeah, of course I am given Rocks aren't up yet, or I have a spinner. As long as you can do something as important as switch in on a common target with absolute certainty, I don't see any reason to do away with those HP EVs. The only thing they're doing is speed tying with only one already uncommon and easy to counter Pokemon (hint: if you see Weavile, your opponent is either me or bottom ladder. Switch in a Steel type).

I'll probably toss something in about the discrepancies between what LO and CB allow you to switch in on, but that's the only metagame-sensible argument I'm getting from this.

Again, this is the same spread as last gen's Weavile.
Maximizing Speed isn't needed, so just aim for 373 Speed (216 EVs) to outrun Base 120 Speed Pokemon like Dugtrio and Alakazam, and put the remaining EVs in HP.
Nothing changed. The only other base 125 Speed Pokemon are Swellow and an Uber and nothing rests between 125 and 120. Even if you don't find yourself trying to pack a Rapid Spinner just so you can get in on that Hydro Pump, these EVs doesn't compromise any of Weavile's capabilities whatsoever. None. They just make him slightly better at something he already does. I really don't get why we're adamant on 252/252 when we've had a history of not doing this for Pokemon with unique speed tiers and a more useful allocation for extra EVs (Infernape).

So just posting to agree with SJCrew, max speed is completely unnecessary. I used Weavile for most of last round, on a team that peaked #1, and never once has the issue of an opposing max speed Weavile or a lol Swellow? come up. Quite simply the HP EV's will rarely make a difference but the speed EV's will never make a difference.

SJCrew

I forgot that you still outspeed them anyway. Still, like we said before outspeeding Scarf Tyranitar is pretty important.
Forgot to address this. Scarftar is only 1 point above maxed base 115 Speed Pokemon. Literally anything higher than that (like base 116 or base 115.5) will outspeed him. This means those base 120s, like Alakazam, Dugtrio, and Sceptile, and your standard Weavile, who is 1 point of speed above them.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I agree with SJCrew's conclusion (that max Speed should only be used for other Weavile), his reasoning is ridiculous. Nobody is bringing Weavile in on Starmie's Hydro Pump on purpose, but having the option is always nice when that extra Speed is doing nothing for you. How many people in this thread can honestly say that they haven't had a match decided by <10 HP?

SJCrew

Nobody is bringing Weavile in on Starmie's Hydro Pump on purpose
Again, the entire purpose of citing the Hydro Pump survival as an incentive for 40 HP EVs is to simply have that option when you're in a pinch, as opposed to being OHKOed even under favorable conditions for the sake of an inferior spread. You don't want Weavile to die or to nearly die in any case, but you do want him to be able to do his job without being a liability. If I still have an opportunity to save my Heatran from being wailed on by Starmie's Hydro Pump, on top of Pursuit-trapping it so that this is no longer a problem, I'll take that opportunity by all means.

I also cited an example earlier about Weavile surviving two super effective HP Fires (so basically, if it was HP Fighting, it wouldn't have OHKOed) from Leech Seed Shaymin just to quell the rumor that "Weavile dies to everything and has no bulk."

Regardless of what argument this devolves into, this is primarily about whether or not we care about surviving a few more attacks or tying with other Weavile. If it's that important to you guys, I'll have no problem changing the spread and putting the 40 HP EVs in AC, but I'm going to mention the same thing there that I did here: max speed doesn't do anything besides tie with other Weavile.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
This looks good, SJCrew; nice job. I've one small thing to say, though: does Muscle Band really need a slash as an item on the 'Standard Weasel' set? I know it's useful for bluffing a Choice Band, but it's just a mere 10% boost. I honestly think a simple mention in AC will suffice.

Also, when you get the chance, make sure to add <p></p> tags around your paragraphs. Other than that, I have nothing else to say.

QC APPROVED (2/3)

SJCrew

This looks good, SJCrew; nice job. I've one small thing to say, though: does Muscle Band really need a slash as an item on the 'Standard Weasel' set?
Nah. I just saw it in QC during 4th gen and thought it'd be a good idea to just toss in there. AC is good enough.

I knew I'd have to correct the formatting eventually. x_x

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Woah, I made a grave error (i forgot that Weavile had base 125 speed AND I thought scarftar outsped non-max speed varients of Weavile) yeah sorry about that. 40HP evs are fine.

(sorry!)

SJCrew

I've finally added the paragraph tags, and as such, this analysis is ready to be reviewed by the Grammar and Prose team.

Have at it, dudes!

I really don't get why we're adamant on 252/252 when we've had a history of not doing this for Pokemon with unique speed tiers and a more useful allocation for extra EVs (Infernape).
Well, if Weavile ever gets to be as popular as Infernape, it might be worth revisiting this discussion to see if it's worth going for the speed tie.

I don't think that's a practical problem at the moment, though.

I went ahead and fixed a bunch of formatting errors in the OP for you, by the way. I also added this to the GP queue. One of the GPers that does this analysis (or you, SJC) should make sure to explain in both sets why the EVs are what they are. It is not obvious to most readers why you chose 216 Speed over 252.

SJCrew

OP updated with information on the EVs. This is a cinch.

Nobody wants to check my grammar? :(

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Meh weavile is meh

+
-

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/461.shtml

[Overview]

<p>For most of its existence, Weavile has generally been regarded as a niche Pokemon. This has not changed in Gen 5 BW. Luckily for it, however, Fortunately for Weavile, its niche has been restored skills are readily in demand with the influx of both old and new Dragons alike, giving it more targets for its STAB Ice attacks. Furthermore, STAB Dark and access to Pursuit allows it to trap and kill some important targets in the OU metagame. The party stops once you recognize its awful defensive typing, base 65 defense poor defenses, and weakness to Stealth Rock, but with the proper support, his unrivaled prowess as a dragon slayer, psychic spook, and potent revenge killer all in one will demonstrate exactly why it remained OU for the entirety of the previous generation.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move1: Ice Shard
move2: Pursuit
move3: Ice Punch / Night Slash / Punishment
move4: Low Kick
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
nature: Jolly
ability: Pressure
evs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A standard Choice Band set manages to accentuate all of Weavile's best attributes: 120 base Attack, 125 base Speed, STAB Pursuit, and being one of the few viable practitioners users of STAB Ice attacks. The main attractions here, though, are his exceedingly useful Ice Shard and Pursuit. With these moves in tow, an Outraging Dragon is never truly safe, fearing a swift icicle to the face in the middle of its rampage. While switching in is often not almost never advisable, Weavile can usually catch these targets on the revenge, leaving them trapped, helpless, and vulnerable to the inevitable KO.</p>

<p>Pursuit is arguably one of the most useful moves in the game, as predicted switches can be punished by a full 80 BP from an otherwise 40 BP move punishing predicted switches and effectively trapping enemies. Less defensively inclined targets, such as Gengar, Starmie, and Latios are often KOed regardless of whether or not they switch (with a little prior damage required in the case of Latios), adding to Weavile's repertoire the technical role of a 'trapper'. Be wary of using this on bulkier Psychics like Reuniclus, however, who which do not fear his Weavile's Pursuit and can either cripple it with status, or in Reuniclus's case, OHKO it.</p>

<p>Thankfully, Weavile's role as a revenge killer is not limited to two 40 base power attacks. The other two moveslots are occupied by the ever-useful Low Kick, which offers audacious excellent coverage alongside his its Dark-type moves, as well as having the ability to OHKO both bulky and heavy targets like Terakion, Tyranitar, and Heatran. It can also catch Weavile's long-time nemesis Scizor on the switch for decent damage.</p>

<p>The choice between Ice Punch or Night Slash on the final slot should be made while considering how your team handles specific Dark- or Ice-type weak enemy Pokemon are simply a matter of what your team demands out of the way. If you fear bulky Psychics and Ghosts enough to use it, Night Slash is a viable option, but Ice Punch is generally more useful for taking on the many bulky Grass, Flying, Dragon, and Ground types that currently reside in OU. Additionally, Ice Punch is often its strongest option against targets it can only hit for neutral damage. Punishment is an option reserved strictly as a trump card for teams weak to bulky Calm Mind users. At the forefront of these threats is Reuniclus, followed by Jirachi, Suicune, and possibly even the odd Cresselia.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Having to choose between Choice Band and Life Orb on a Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock is a bit limiting, but there is an alternative in the form of Muscle Band. You can use it to bluff a Choice item and switch moves when your opponent thinks you're locked into something else entirely. It's a fun tactic to abuse, but you only get a 10% boost in power to play with, which hampers our little assassin greatly. If you think the bluff and lack of recoil are worth missing KOs, then go for it.</p>

<p>This set will require plenty of switching, making entry hazards a considerable factor in how you'll play him in the match. You're generally going to want Rapid Spin somewhere on your team in order to employ the full extent of his its capabilities. Starmie and Forretress work pretty well in this regard, but keep in mind you're going to have to decide between the lesser of two evils: a compounded Bug or Fire weakness. A choice-locked Weavile is also one of the easiest Pokemon to set up on, so you'll really want something with Roar or Whirlwind on your team, especially physically defensive probably with a lot of physical bulk. Gyarados, Skarmory, Hippowdon, or nearly any other immediately come to mind, though many notable walls will work well for this role and keep Weavile from becoming a liability once he's its done his its job.</p>

<p> The recommended EVs in this set call for 216 Speed with 40 EVs allocated to HP. This is the same as its standard set of the previous generation., and the reason for this is because Weavile's speed tier is very unique, shared only by the likes of Swellow and Darkrai, neither of which you will see in a standard OU match. 216 Speed EVs are just enough to outspeed the odd base 120 Speed Sceptile, Alakazam, and or Dugtrio, which are all low defense targets Weavile can trap with Pursuit. With 40 HP EVs, there is a subtle increase in Weavile's survivability, allowing it to take certain attacks like LO Starmie's Hydro Pump without being KOed, assuming no prior damage has been dealt. If you're scared to death of enemy Weavile, you're free to run max Speed, but there are so many other viable checks and counters to it that a Speed tie is usually not necessary to beat it.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard / Ice Punch
move 3: Night Slash
move 4: Low Kick
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Term of the day is late-game cleaner, and no better term exists to describe this set. Due to Weavile's lack of defenses and by extension, relatively low number of chances to find setup set up, it's best to keep his its function as a revenge killer in mind earlier in the game and attempt a sweep only when his its counters have been cleared or at least weakened. As previously mentioned, setup opportunities are very few in number, but still exist. For example, a Scizor or Tyranitar Choice-locked into Pursuit leaves Weavile an open opportunity to SD as they switch out. Be wary of setting up on Scizor, as it can come in later and OHKO with Bullet Punch if it hasn't been adequately weakened prior to setup.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Even after an SD, Weavile can still be walled rather easily by common defensive Pokemon. Skarmory, for instance, is looking at a 2HKO from Ice Punch, but the first hit gives him just enough time to Whirlwind him Weavile out or KO Weavile with Brave Bird. Bulky Water types in general can block him, especially ones named Suicune, but if it's at half HP or below, a boosted Night Slash will KO.</p>

<p>Weavile usually only gets one shot at a sweep, so the best way to support it would be to lure its counters early on in the match. Magnezone takes advantage of Steel-type switch-ins like no other, and prevents their escape with Magnet Pull. Defensive Water types are good for warding off Scarf Heatran and other Fire-type switch-ins. Jellicent stands out with its additional resists to the Bug- and Fighting-type attacks often aimed at Weavile, and has Recover to keep it in the fray. Espeon and Xatu handily reflect Stealth Rock and check some of Weavile's Fighting-type enemies like Conkeldurr. <p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sadly, Weavile's usable movepool is fairly limited. Brick Break is probably the first option that comes to mind, as it fits on all of its movesets and can be used as a more consistent option than Low Kickconsistently weaker, that is. Fake Out and Counter make an anti-lead set possible, but not advisable, considering the presence of team viewing mechanics and a stronger, bulkier metagame that does not encourage the use of suicide leads. Taunt is a viable option on LO attacker sets to prevent the likes of Ferrothron and Skarmory from setting up on him Weavile, predicting a switch.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Steel types that aren't weak to Low Kick are Weavile's greatest obstacles. Scizor can switch in on anything it has safely and threaten to OHKO it with either Bullet Punch or U-turn. Jirachi is about the same in this regard, replacing Bullet Punch with Iron Head. Skarmory and Forretress more or less use Weavile as an easy opportunity to set up entry hazards; Ferrothorn can also do this to a lesser extent, provided it's Weavile is locked into a resisted move or hasn't had the chance to boost. It can also threaten to OHKO with Gyro Ball, if necessary. In addition, bulky Water types, barring Jellicent, wall most of its attacks and can threaten for a burn with Scald.</p>

<p>Fighting types are generally good for keeping it in check as well. Conkeldurr is easily Weavile's biggest threat among them, in this area as it can Bulk Up on a Pursuit-locked Weavile and continue threatening the rest of the team, or KO instantly with Mach Punch. Blaziken, Lucario, and Infernape all resist both of its STABs and can either set up or KO with priority. Ninetales is a relatively safe switch-in too, as are other lesser-seen common Fire-types that may accompany it on a team, like Arcanine.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Bad Habit Pickpocket has its merits, being an ability Weavile can finally make use of, but there are two crippling flaws that prevent it from being a godsend: its activation properties requirements and required movepool restriction. It activates once your opponent makes contact with Weavile, but this is something you generally want to avoid because of its low defense. There's also the fact that it requires you to have no item, meaning its use cannot be employed on any standard set. It can be used in the lead position, though, as it steals your opponent's item the instant Focus Sash activates.</p>

<p>As far movepool restrictions go, the loss of Low Kick is a very big deal for Weavile, as it misses KOs on targets like Heatran and Nattorei Ferrothorn, and requiring subsequently requires your team it to garner even greater prior damage before Weavile even considers entering the ring with said foes. Weavile's ability to contend with Steel types is doubly important in a metagame dominated by Dragon-types, making its ability not only a Bad Habit pick pocketing not only a bad habit, but a bad choice.</p>

1/2

It's okay to use He/She His/Her and Who, but it has to be consistent. The OP used "it" so I just changed all of them to be consistent (which may not have been a good idea since generally you used "he" more often than "it", but whatever). Point is it has to be consistent.

That's just minor nit picking though-- it's a really good job!

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Even after an SD a Swords Dance boost, Weavile can still be walled rather easily by common defensive Pokemon. Skarmory, for instance, is looking at a 2HKO from Ice Punch, but the first hit gives him just enough time to Whirlwind Weavile out or KO Weavile with Brave Bird. Bulky Water types in general can block him, especially Suicune, but if it's at half HP or below, a boosted Night Slash will KO.</p>

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just a thought, its not like it really matters, but wouldn't bite's 30% flinch hax be better than the 12.5% crit hax on night slash? or do you miss important ko's if you do that. in the end it doesnt make a difference though

edit: well good enough logic just a random thought that came in my head

SJCrew

You miss the 2HKO on Cresselia after rocks, the 2HKO on uninvested Jirachi, and 3HKO on bulkier sets. Basically, you're significantly weaker against, well, everything you'd want Night Slash to hit. All for the sake of an unreliable chance to flinch, IF you go first and the opposing Pokemon is not switching in. It's hard to think of a scenario in which a critical hit wouldn't be even more useful.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove
not official

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/461.shtml

[Overview]

<p>For most of its existence, Weavile has generally been regarded as a niche Pokemon. This has not changed in Black and White. Fortunately for Weavile, its niche skills are readily in demand with the influx of both old and new Dragons alike, giving it more targets for its STAB Ice attacks. Furthermore, STAB Dark and access to Pursuit allows it to trap and kill some important targets in the OU metagame. The party stops once you recognize its poor defenses, and weakness to Stealth Rock, but with the proper support, his unrivaled prowess as a dragon slayer, psychic spook, and potent revenge killer all in one will demonstrate exactly why it remained OU for the entirety of the previous generation.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move1: Ice Shard
move2: Pursuit
move3: Ice Punch / Night Slash / Punishment
move4: Low Kick
item: Choice Band / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A standard Choice Band set manages to accentuate all of Weavile's best attributes: 120 base Attack, 125 base Speed, STAB Pursuit, and STAB Ice attacks (It's one of the few viable users) being one of the few viable users of STAB Ice attacks This is a parallelism issue. Only change this for nitpickyness, because most people don't notice it.. The main attractions here are its exceedingly useful Ice Shard and Pursuit. With these moves in tow, an Outraging Dragon is never truly safe, fearing a swift icicle to the face in the middle of its rampage. While switching in is almost never advisable, Weavile can usually catch these targets on the revenge, leaving them trapped, helpless, and vulnerable to the inevitable KO.</p>

<p>Pursuit is arguably one of the most useful moves in the game, punishing predicted switches and effectively trapping enemies. Less defensively inclined targets, such as Gengar, Starmie, and Latios are often KOed regardless of whether or not they switch (with a little prior damage required in the case of Latios), adding to Weavile's repertoire the technical role of a 'trapper'. Be wary of using this on bulkier Psychics like Reuniclus, however, which do not fear Weavile's Pursuit and can either cripple it with status, or in Reuniclus's case, OHKO it.</p>

<p>Thankfully, Weavile's role as a revenge killer is not limited to two 40 base power attacks. The other two moveslots are occupied by the ever-useful Low Kick, which offers excellent coverage alongside its Dark-type moves, as well as having the ability to OHKO both bulky and heavy targets like Terakion, Tyranitar, and Heatran. It can also catch Weavile's long-time nemesis Scizor on the switch for decent damage.</p>

<p>The choice between Ice Punch or Night Slash on in the final slot should be made while considering how your team handles specific Dark- or Ice-type weak enemy Pokemon. If you fear bulky Psychics and Ghosts enough to use it, Night Slash is a viable option, but Ice Punch is generally more useful for taking on the many bulky Grass, Flying, Dragon, and Ground types that currently reside in OU. Additionally, Ice Punch is often its Weavile's strongest option against targets it can only hit for neutral damage. Punishment is an option reserved strictly as a trump card for teams weak to bulky Calm Mind users. At the forefront of these threats is Reuniclus, followed by Jirachi, Suicune, and possibly even the odd Cresselia.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Having to choose between Choice Band and Life Orb on a Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock is a bit limiting, but there is an alternative in the form of Muscle Band. You can use it to bluff a Choice item and switch moves when your opponent thinks you're locked into something. It's a fun tactic to abuse, but you only get a 10% boost in power to play with, which hampers our little assassin greatly. If you think the bluff and lack of recoil are worth missing KOs, then go for it.</p>

<p>This set will require plenty of switching, making entry hazards a considerable factor in how you'll play in the match. You're generally going to want Rapid Spin somewhere on your team in order to employ the full extent of its capabilities. Starmie and Forretress work pretty well in this regard, but keep in mind you're going to have to decide between the lesser of two evils: a compounded Bug or Fire weakness. A choice-locked Weavile is also one of the easiest Pokemon to set up on, so you'll really want something with Roar or Whirlwind on your team, probably with a lot of physical bulk. Gyarados, Skarmory, Hippowdon, immediately come to mind, though many notable walls will work well for this role and keep Weavile from becoming a liability once its done its job.</p>

<p> The recommended EVs in this set call for 216 Speed with 40 EVs allocated to HP. This is the same as its standard set of the previous generation.[space]Weavile's speed tier is very unique, shared only by Swellow and Darkrai, neither of which you will see in a standard OU match. 216 Speed EVs are just enough to outspeed the odd base 120 Speed Sceptile, Alakazam, or Dugtrio, which are all low defense targets Weavile can trap with Pursuit. With 40 HP EVs, there is a subtle increase in Weavile's survivability, allowing it to take certain attacks like LO Starmie's Hydro Pump without being KOed, assuming no prior damage has been dealt. If you're scared to death of enemy Weavile, you're free to run max Speed, but there are so many other viable checks and counters to it that a Speed tie is usually not necessary to beat it.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard / Ice Punch
move 3: Night Slash
move 4: Low Kick
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Term of the day is late-game cleaner, and no better term exists to describe this set. Due to Weavile's lack of defenses and by extension, relatively low number of chances to set up, it's best to keep its function as a revenge killer in mind earlier in the game and attempt a sweep only when its counters have been cleared or at least weakened. As previously mentioned, setup opportunities are very few in number, but still exist. For example, a Scizor or Tyranitar Choice-locked into Pursuit leaves Weavile an open opportunity to SD as they switch out. Be wary of setting up on Scizor, as it can come in later and OHKO with Bullet Punch if it hasn't been adequately weakened prior to setup.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Even after a Swords Dance Boost, Weavile can still be walled rather easily by common defensive Pokemon. Skarmory, for instance, is looking at a 2HKO from Ice Punch, but the first hit gives him the steel bird just enough time to Whirlwind Weavile out or KO Weavile it with Brave Bird. Bulky Water types in general can block him, especially Suicune, but if it's at half HP or below, a boosted Night Slash will KO.</p>

<p>Weavile usually only gets one shot at a sweep, so the best way to support it would be to lure its counters early on in the match. Magnezone takes advantage of Steel-type switch-ins like no other, and prevents their escape with Magnet Pull. Defensive Water types are good for warding off Scarf Heatran and other Fire-type switch-ins. Jellicent stands out with its additional resists to the Bug- and Fighting-type attacks often aimed at Weavile, and has Recover to keep it in the fray. Espeon and Xatu handily reflect Stealth Rock and check some of Weavile's Fighting-type enemies like Conkeldurr. <p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sadly, Weavile's usable movepool is fairly limited. Brick Break is probably the first option that comes to mind, as it fits on all of its movesets and can be used as a more consistent option than Low Kick—consistently weaker, that is. Fake Out and Counter make an anti-lead set possible, but not advisable, considering the presence of team viewing mechanics and a stronger, bulkier metagame that does not encourage the use of suicide leads. Taunt is a viable option on Life Orb sets to prevent the likes of Ferrothron and Skarmory from setting up on Weavile.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Steel types that aren't weak to Low Kick are Weavile's greatest obstacles. Scizor can switch in on anything it has safely and threaten to OHKO it with either Bullet Punch or U-turn. Jirachi is about the same in this regard, replacing Bullet Punch with Iron Head. Skarmory and Forretress more or less use Weavile as an easy opportunity to set up entry hazards; Ferrothorn can also do this to a lesser extent, provided Weavile is locked into a resisted move or hasn't had the chance to boost. It can also threaten to OHKO with Gyro Ball, if necessary. In addition, bulky Water types, barring Jellicent, wall most of its attacks and can threaten for a burn with Scald.</p>

<p>Fighting types are generally good for keeping it in check as well. Conkeldurr is easily Weavile's biggest threat among them, as it can Bulk Up on a Pursuit-locked Weavile and continue threatening the rest of the team, or KO instantly with Mach Punch. Lucario and Infernape resist both of its STABs and can either set up or KO with priority. Ninetales is a relatively safe switch-in too, as are other less common Fire-types, like Arcanine.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Pickpocket has its merits, being an ability Weavile can finally make use of, but there are two crippling flaws that prevent it from being a godsend: its activation requirements conditions and required movepool restriction. It activates once your opponent makes contact with Weavile, but this is something you generally want to avoid because of its low defense. There's also the fact that it requires you to have no item, meaning its use cannot be employed on any standard set. It can be used in the lead position, though, as it steals your opponent's item the instant Focus Sash activates.</p>

<p>As far movepool restrictions go, the loss of Low Kick is a very big deal for Weavile, as it misses KOs on targets like Heatran and Ferrothorn, and subsequently requires your team to garner even greater prior damage before Weavile even considers entering the ring. Weavile's ability to contend with Steel types is doubly important in a metagame dominated by Dragon-types, making its pick pocketing not only a bad habit, but a bad choice.</p>

some comma stuff, some repetitiveness, and some vague "it"s
I like your writing style

SJCrew

Thanks, but I tried not to go too heavy on the personal touches. I know I'd be the last person to read any of this, but this is pretty standard fare as far as analyses go.

And I'm a little more partial to 'iron fowl' than 'steel bird', personally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)