Weebl's Wobbly Works

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, everyone! So, some of you might know me from doing stuff, namely GP checking, in other areas of the site. First, I'll give a quick history of my relationship with art. I've always looked up to people who can draw amazing things, and a pencil and paper are such accessible tools. Beautiful creations have honestly just had me in awe, as with many other people. Until I picked up a piece of paper and drew my first things, however bad they may have been, art had been something that seemed far away, but simple to start with; it is still one of those things that I wish I could become good at so I can make others look at what I do and become inspired. I see users on this site pump out high-quality pieces for various areas of Smogon media, and I hope I can join them someday.

Anyway, enough about me pouring out my cheesy ideas about art. I mainly draw with pencil and paper, and that's it, for now. Tablet stuff is cool, but I feel I'm horrible with colour theory and all that, and I just don't know how to make it work. Sorry I made you unnecessarily read this, but I hope that after reading the above, you can understand where I'm coming from. Also sorry for the overly large images; the best way to view them in a bigger version without smothering your screen space is by opening the image in a new tab. Without further ado, here goes my stuff!

This is what I drew for Secret Santa #5.

In the same vein as below, here's a literal banana boat. By the way, this vignette wasn't Photoshopped in, haha.

This is something I thought of while I was bored; I wanted to draw a literal knucklehead.

So, yeah, that's what I've got. Constructive criticism is, of course, highly welcome and encouraged. Feel free to make requests, and I'll try to get them done as soon as possible, though I make no promises.

Last edited:

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well shit man where did all this come from? You never told me you could draw like this :o

That banana boat is pretty clever if you ask me, and the "Knucklehead" is awesome too! You've used a good variety of thick shading on the boat's surface and thin, hatched strokes on the ropes to show distance / depth. Plus, I can tell you from experience that hands are a real pain to draw, but that fist is very well-rendered.
Until I picked up a piece of paper and drew my first things, however bad they may have been, art had been something that seemed far away, but simple to start with; it is still one of those things that I wish I could become good at, so I can make others look at what I do and become inspired.
I'm glad to see this thought process happening now. This is exactly how I and tons of other people start out doing artwork, and they're the same goals we're all trying to achieve as artists. You're already on a great starting track with what you have here, so keep at it!

Looking forward to what more you come up with! :)

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's an update of sorts... I've been trying to do some digital art for a bit and stray away from my usual pencil work, but I'm just not really feeling it. I can't find my style in what I'm doing right now. So, I figured I would post a WIP on here to get some feedback. And yes, I know the body's angle looks a bit off.

Last edited:
Are you working from an underlying sketch? If not, that would be my first suggestion.

It's better not to force yourself into a style; one will develop over time with practice and experience. Be careful with the light source: according to the ears, the bottom half of Oshawott's head should be shaded, not the side.

I'm fairly new to painting as well, but those are just some quick observations. It's worth noting that drawing with lineart is easier than drawing linelessly, as with the latter it's much harder to "cheat" and get away with shading that's a little wrong, etc.

I like your artistic vision for the future. Being an artist is emotionally exhausting sometimes, but I can see why you'd aspire to join the club. ;p Everybody has to start somewhere; just study effectively and keep working at it. Best of luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)