Weezing (Choice Specs) (QC 0/3)

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Stunfisk can do it, then why can't Weezing?

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Sludge Bomb
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Fire Blast / Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Ground
item: Choice Specs
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • With Choice Specs and max investment, Weezing can lure in and beat a lot of its traditional counters and checks, or at least wound them.
  • Of course, Weezing can still switch into a lot of physical attackers and force them out due to its great defensive typing and base 120 Defense.
  • Sludge Bomb is surprisingly powerful with Specs equipped, and will OHKO most non-bulky opponents that it hits neutrally.
  • Shadow Ball lets Weezing hit the Psychic- and Ghost-types it lures in extremely hard, 2HKOing opponents such as Mesprit and Musharna without entry hazards, and even Grumpig / Hypno with SR + Spikes. It also 2HKOs Misdreavus without entry hazards, while Haunter is obviously OHKOed.
  • Fire Blast is useful for hitting the various Grass/Poisons in the tier, 2HKOing them both with ease. On the other hand, Thunderbolt is useful for OHKOing Samurott and Braviary, who could survive Sludge Bomb without entry hazards.
  • Hidden Power is especially useful for taking out specific offensive checks to Weezing. HP Ground hits Skuntank, Bastiodon and Probopass hard, OHKOing the former with SR and 2HKOing the latter without entry hazards.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • The Speed EVs allow you to outspeed most of the aforementioned Pokemon, particularly Adamant Torterra and the other Pokemon aiming to hit that benchmark, letting you hit them again as they stay in, expecting to hit you or heal first.
  • Bulkier EV spreads can be used to take physical hits better; 164 Speed EVs let you outspeed uninvested Mesprit, 192 Speed EVs let you outspeed 252 Modest Gorebyss.
  • The 30% poison chance makes Sludge Bomb better than Sludge Wave, as the extra residual damage can let Weezing secure 2HKOs and OHKOs more easily than the 5 extra base power of Sludge Wave.
  • Hidden Power Grass OHKOes Quagsire, while Hidden Power Ice defeats Altaria, although neither of these opponents would normally switch into Weezing.
  • Pain Split can be used of Fire Blast or Shadow Ball to provide somewhat reliable recovery, and should be used with a Life Orb. Bear in mind that this causes Weezing to lose some 2HKOs.
  • Entry hazards are really appreciated for adding to Weezing's damage output and capitalising on the switches it causes. Probopass can set up Stealth Rock and take special hits, and has great typing synergy with Weezing.

I've used this set in testing, and it's been pretty effective at catching opponents off guard and taking out Weezing's normal counters. It still has utility outside of luring, as it can still take physical hits pretty well, and Sludge Bomb hits a lot of Pokemon in the tier extremely hard.

The question is, is it good enough to go on-site? I'm unsure of the EV spread and which Hidden Power should be the primary option, and whether I should use a Life Orb set instead, sacrificing 2HKOs for Pain Split and the ability to switch moves.

I don't really like this set, especially since Weezing sports such poor Speed and average Special Attack. Weezing is much better off employing a defensive set and playing to its advantages. This set doesn't really appeal to me over another Specs user, and I can't see a reason to use any other variant of Weezing other than the defensive one. Sure, it has the surprise value, but that's really all it has going for it. I'm going to reject this for now unless you can come up with some pretty convincing logs that tell me otherwise.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After more testing, I'm no longer that impressed. Without defensive investment, Weezing gets 2HKO'd by CB Sawk, and diverting EVs away from SpA or Spe means it can't kill the things it lures. Furthermore, the set requires perfect prediction to work beyond spamming Sludge Bomb and getting kills, and getting 2HKOs with a Specs Hidden Power or unstabbed Shadow Ball isn't going to happen if the opponent plays around it.

I'm going to test the LO Pain Split set to see if that does anything notable, but if not, we can just move this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)