Weezing

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: Boltsandbombers / Dat Blast / iPlaytennislol
GP: Snobalt / ?

[OVERVIEW]

Weezing is a great defensive Pokemon in the NeverUsed metagame. Levitate and Will-O-Wisp give Weezing a significant niche over other defensive Poison-types, such as Vileplume and Garbodor. That being said, Levitate prevents Weezing from absorbing Toxic Spikes for its teammates; if this is an issue, be wary of choosing Weezing for your team. Weezing can also use Flamethrower, which allows it to damage Steel-types, such as Mawile, Klinklang, and Ferroseed, that are immune to its Sludge Bomb and would otherwise be able to set up on it. With no recovery outside of the unreliable Pain Split, Weezing can often get worn down quickly, which makes it a perfect fit for more defensive teams that can support it with Wish users.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Pain Split / Taunt
move 4: Flamethrower / Toxic Spikes
item: Black Sludge
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Will-O-Wisp is a nice complement to Weezing's naturally high Defense, making physical attackers even easier to deal with while also wearing down bulkier teams. Sludge Bomb is the STAB move of choice, as it hits decently hard and has a 30% chance to poison the foe. Pain Split gives Weezing some much needed, albeit unreliable, recovery, which is helpful against teams with powerful physical attackers such as Choice Band Sawk, which Weezing will need to switch into repeatedly. Flamethrower hits the would-be troublesome Steel-types, such as Pawniard, Ferroseed, Klinklang, and Mawile, for super effective damage. Toxic Spikes can wear down both bulky and offensive teams and help Weezing's teammates secure KOs. Taunt can be used to stop setup sweepers, such as Mega Audino and Gurdurr, from beating Weezing 1v1, and it's also helpful for preventing Defog and Stealth Rock from slower Pokemon, such as Prinplup and Regirock, respectively. Clear Smog stops setup sweepers such as Samurott from overwhelming Weezing while also doing a bit of damage. Haze is an option that stops certain setup sweepers, such as Klinklang and Pawniard, that are immune to Clear Smog.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs and maximum Defense investment give Weezing optimal physical bulk and allow it to switch into Stealth Rock nine times. An EV spread of 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe should be used when running Taunt. This alternative EV spread outpaces Modest maximum Speed Exeggutor while allowing Weezing to reliably beat RestTalk Malamar. In a similar vein, a slightly bulkier spread of 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe can also be used when running Taunt be used to outspeed uninvested Malamar. Levitate gives Weezing the ability to switch into Ground-type Pokemon such as Rhydon, Golurk, Quagsire, and Sandslash with ease. Black Sludge hurts Trick users such as Rotom and gives Weezing some passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Weezing should aim to pivot into physical attackers such as Hariyama, Sawk, and Pinsir. Use Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers and weaken bulkier Pokemon. Setting up Toxic Spikes can be useful for wearing down bulky teams and getting important damage on foes for Weezing's teammates; however, this is unwise if you would prefer to burn a foe or if the opponent has a grounded Poison-type. Use Pain Split when Weezing is low on HP to continue pivoting into physical attacking threats throughout the course of the match.

Team Options
========

Wish users, such as Mega Audino and Flareon, can help Weezing recover HP and can take special attacks aimed at Weezing. Dark-types, such as Pawniard and Liepard, help against the Psychic-types, such as Mesprit and Xatu, that plague Weezing. As it forces many switches, Weezing works great when paired with entry hazard support. Psychic- and Ground-types handle Poison-types attempting to absorb Weezing's Toxic Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

Weezing can run a more specially defensive build utilizing maximum HP and Special Defense investment to deal with Grass-types such as Lilligant. A Choice Specs set can utilize Weezing's decent Special Attack and solid coverage options to some effect. Destiny Bond can be used as a last-ditch effort to take down a threatening foe. Rocky Helmet can be used to weaken physical attackers even further at the cost of passive recovery.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types typically don't care too much about Will-O-Wisp and can hit Weezing for super effective damage. Xatu deserves a special mention here, as it prevents both Will-O-Wisp and Toxic Spikes with Magic Bounce.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Weezing is hit hard by special attackers, such as Samurott and Pyroar, due to its lackluster Special Defense stat.

**Substitute Users**: Substitute users, especially those that boost their stats, such as Uxie, Bouffalant, and Mismagius, can block Weezing's Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split.

**Taunt**: Mismagius, Archeops, Pyroar, and Samurott all commonly carry Taunt and can prevent Weezing from using Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split, and Toxic Spikes.

**Residual Damage**: A lack of recovery means that Weezing is quickly worn down by repeated hits throughout the course of the match.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types, such as Magmortar and Pyroar, take moderate damage from Sludge Bomb, can deal huge amounts of damage to Weezing, and are immune to Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
skele is a lil thin i guess, but the info is there. I could use better team options, so suggestions are appreciated and i can definitely expand on things you pivot into before write up if you guys want

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know you'll do this in the writeup, but mention the mons which weezing checks in the overview (eg: sawk, yama, kanga, sd cacturne, etc)
I'd also say somewhere maybe in usage tips or even the overview how weezing gives a free switch in to mega camerupt (bar getting a sludge bomb poison) which is pretty problematic for it, and that should also be accounted for in team options.
I typed this up a few days ago and forgot to post it lol good thing the draft saved

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
I know you'll do this in the writeup, but mention the mons which weezing checks in the overview (eg: sawk, yama, kanga, sd cacturne, etc)
I'd also say somewhere maybe in usage tips or even the overview how weezing gives a free switch in to mega camerupt (bar getting a sludge bomb poison) which is pretty problematic for it, and that should also be accounted for in team options.
I typed this up a few days ago and forgot to post it lol good thing the draft saved
A WILD POST APPEARS!!! THANK YOU BOLTS UR MY NEW BEST FREN THOSE ARE SOME GREAT POINTS AND I'LL IMPLEMENT NOW

edit: yeah i added that stuff :]

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have returned!

Small nitpick, might as well make the spread 248 / 252 / 8 for taking slightly less damage from rocks.

I know you'll do this in the writeup, but try and add more examples for what certain moves hit and such.

Few examples as to what I'm referring to:
**Substitute Users**: sub users, especially those that boost their stats give weezing trouble as it blocks will-o and pain split
**Fire-types**: take little from sludge bomb, immune to will-o-wisp, hit weezing really hard
Bouff needs a bit more investment than usual for sludge bomb not to break the sub, but sub nasty mismagius isnt unheard of and is a good example to put there.
**Fire-types**: take little from sludge bomb, immune to will-o-wisp, hit weezing really hard
examples pls (make sure you have camel either here or in ground types, not both)

As mont says, "beef up c&c" lol

offensive psychics and grounds handle poisons attempting to absorb toxic spikes
Also, in regards to the above quote - I'm not sure how well offensive psychics pair with weezing given the types of teams that weezing tends to fit on (mainly defensive or stall based) so defensive psychics (mainly musharna, uxie, and xatu) seem like they would be better teammates. I'd just say psychic types in general.

I'd remove fire blast from oo, as most of the steel-types that flamethrower targets are already 2HKOed anyways (klinklang isnt but it breaks the sub and thats what matters most)
The only thing it really does as far as I see it is 2HKO 252 / 0 vileplume but thats requiring you to hit it on the switch anyways, I only say that bc plume can win 1v1 but overall its not really a productive scenario for either side. Unless someone can find a calc that shows fire blast being useful, flamethrower just seems more useful.

As I said in pm, I'd like taunt bumped up to a moves mention with the reasoning given.

Weezing is a pretty simple mon, not too much changed with oras tbh. Looks good.
Do this and

QC Approved 1/3

first check woohoo

edit: HP Water in OO because camel !_!

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In the Overview mention Wisp + much higher physical bulk as another big selling point. Mention low SpDef and the fact that it's somewhat passive outside of Wisp as negatives

Mention a faster spread somewhere for when you're using Taunt

Remove Togetic as a Wish passer in Team Options

I don't like the term "bulky Grounds" in C&C, Camel and Toad are pretty much the only ones that beat (Rhydon Piloswine Golurk etc all lose to it).

QC 2/3 after that

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
going over this now, p sure there were some mega camel mentions n such. writing after that.

it has taken him over a month to from his bed to his computer. give him a break, and not off a kitkat bar :(

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
ok, fine. i'll do it tomorrow. but you better tag me another 4 times just to be safe Kappa

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Kiyo
This is one weezing set, not dpp torterra lol, shouldnt take you very long
if you've lost interest or w/e just let us know, but please don't leave this sitting around.

edit: rofl ok

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
it has taken him over a month to from his bed to his computer. give him a break, and not off a kitkat bar :(
I guess he had to take a detour to the fridge for that kitkat bar, bolts give him another month to get back to the computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)