Weird Sets/Gimmicks You've Run on Battle Spot?

Do you think awkard, gimmicky, and weird sets can help you win in battle spot?

• Total voters
Alright, I'm not sure if this is even viable, but I've been trying this out just to see:

Espeon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Baton Pass
-Psychic

So, obviously this is primarily for mega kangaskhan, but my thinking is once I use screens they'll assume I have light clay and think they can freely fake out or something, or just use it first turn because I don't think espeons usually carry something that's not that or leftovers. Espeon doesn't hit a lot of things that hard with these evs, but it needs it to outspeed base ~100s. The reason I thought to run rocky helmet is that it gets to set up and also do some okay damage in the process.

The normal evs allow my espeon to outspeed and set up for my sweeper Dragonite, and it can live almost all (all? I didn't run them all but I'm pretty sure) of kanga's attacks through a reflect. It pretty much requires sacrificing it to allow dragonite to sweep, but if they switch out I get a free light screen and then i can switch out and have a basically invincible dragonite for a turn (and kinda the turn after). If they kill espeon after light screen I just get another turn of screens. Dragonite can kill kanga with an unboosted outrage most of the time after one attack on espeon if it has the normal EVs (and if not, I can notice it's not hitting espeon as hard and set up on it). This also allows me to scout out the kangaskhan's moveset before I decide what to do with it. I know everyone uses rocky helmet, but I just thought it had a bit more of an element of surprise on an espeon.

The problem is I don't always take it because some threats are higher priority, and sometimes I want espeon around like for klefki or prankster status users, but I thought I might as well post it. I'm sure someone else has done it, but I think it's weird enough to qualify. Light clay might be better here but I think I just have to play with it more.

Edit: I forgot to mention this is for battle spot singles, but I decided I'm not really a fan of espeon in general in this format after playing a number of games with it...it just doesn't really work on a team of 3 imo.

J48G-WWWW-WWXK-2K2L
I made a lot of dumb decisions, but this is like the kind of game i dreaded the most. I guess it's what I get lol. This is mid-1500s just for reference.

Had no real way to deal with cresselia and I made a lot of misplays (like I should have expected cresselia switch on EQ) but honestly I don't think I would have won anyway.

It was fun, but it almost went to time it was so stall-y.

Last edited:
I'm using the standard Dual Screens Espeon to soften blows for my Moody Pokemon.

Yeah, that's right, I'm working at building a team that wants to foster Moody to the best of its ability.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm using the standard Dual Screens Espeon to soften blows for my Moody Pokemon.

Yeah, that's right, I'm working at building a team that wants to foster Moody to the best of its ability.
Moody Glalie has been gaining popularity in the Japanese community lately. It's super annoying since you can ignore having to acquire SpA boosts and just kill stuff with Sheer Cold, with Frost Breathe to crit your way past Calm Minders and Sturdy mons... Is Glalie the Moody mon you're using? Or is it Smeargle / Bibarel?

Moody Glalie has been gaining popularity in the Japanese community lately. It's super annoying since you can ignore having to acquire SpA boosts and just kill stuff with Sheer Cold, with Frost Breathe to crit your way past Calm Minders and Sturdy mons... Is Glalie the Moody mon you're using? Or is it Smeargle / Bibarel?

Actually, I'm currently running a mix of Smeargle, Octillery, and Glalie. Not only Glalie. Do these other Moody-based teams do things differently?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, I'm currently running a mix of Smeargle, Octillery, and Glalie. Not only Glalie. Do these other Moody-based teams do things differently?
I haven't seen multiple Moody users in the same 3v3 team (although I've seen them in team preview), they usually bring just one Moody mon with something to support it in its setup with a third mon to clean up

I haven't seen multiple Moody users in the same 3v3 team (although I've seen them in team preview), they usually bring just one Moody mon with something to support it in its setup with a third mon to clean up
Can you run more pokemon with the same ability on your team?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Can you run more pokemon with the same ability on your team?
Judging by all the full Intimdate teams I see on the lower ladder, yes you can have the same ability and different Pokemon. So you can run all of Moody Smeargle, Octillery, Bibarel and Glalie on the same team

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been running Hypnosis Crobat with Gravity Meowstic on Rotations lately. It's pretty powerful if they don't have Heal Bell (usually on their own Meowstic, so it's not too hard to scout) and makes it really easy to set up Swords Dance Garchomp. Granted, I posted about the team less than a week ago, and chances are everybody reading this has seen that post...

This isn't a set I ran, but I fought a Cresselia with that team that only revealed Toxic and a Hidden Power that hit Meowstic super effective. I have no idea why they'd use Hidden Power when Cress learns both Shadow Ball and Ice Beam (outclassing HP Dark/Ghost and Bug respectively)...

Intimidate, Glare, and pure Poison typing are stupidly useful in RM Doubles, overcoming Arbok's pathetic stats and often crippling half a team (or more) before going down.
Coil makes Gunk Shot and Rock Slide unmissing, Arbok gets stupidly bulky on the physical side, the hax factor wins impossible matches on a regular basis, and +1 STAB Gunk Shot hits surprisingly hard from an uninvested Base 85 Atk.
Math says "This thing sucks and doesn't work"; actually using it creates two results:
1) Opponent goes "...ok, this guy's clearly an idiot, so I'm just going to kill its partner" and eats Glare left and right.
2) Opponent goes "...ok, I'm going to kill this before it does something gimmiky and stupid" and usually eats a Glare + intimidate anyway and I set up Tailwind / spam Hyper Voice / etc for free.

Careful Black Sludge, some unoptimized, retarded EV spread. I win about 3/4 battles when using it; better than my actual VGC team, which is on a 0out of 8 battles won record atm.

Assault Vest Regirock.
187 / 221 / 190 defenses are absurd. Stack this with Intimidate and Snarl support. Add in Drain Punch and this thing just never dies.
LO Leaf Blade from Virizion, followed by a Mega Metagross Meteor Mash? Nope, he's still chugging along.
252+ MegaKhan Low Kick? 77% max.
252+ Rotom-W Hydro Pump? Still not enough to OHKO.
+1 252+ Mega Gyarados Waterfall? 89.8% max.
252+ LO Aegislash Blade Flash Cannon? Let's keep going.
252+ Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam? 96.7% max. Hyper Voice doesn't even 2HKO.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 69-82 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Good for parking in front of basically anything, it does not fear Intimidate, and actually counters Lando-T: Scarf 252+ EQ does not 2HKO, and Ice Punch cleanly OHKO's back (Adamant, 204 EVs).
For anything weaker than a Specs Sylveon, you're basically throwing baseballs at a castle. Rock/Ice/Fighting/Fire is crazy good coverage (EQ is an option too).
Might actually use this on a serious team, I'm just running this + arbok for lulz. And outperforming my much-better-built VGC team. ._.

Intimidate, Glare, and pure Poison typing are stupidly useful in RM Doubles, overcoming Arbok's pathetic stats and often crippling half a team (or more) before going down.
Coil makes Gunk Shot and Rock Slide unmissing, Arbok gets stupidly bulky on the physical side, the hax factor wins impossible matches on a regular basis, and +1 STAB Gunk Shot hits surprisingly hard from an uninvested Base 85 Atk.
Math says "This thing sucks and doesn't work"; actually using it creates two results:
1) Opponent goes "...ok, this guy's clearly an idiot, so I'm just going to kill its partner" and eats Glare left and right.
2) Opponent goes "...ok, I'm going to kill this before it does something gimmiky and stupid" and usually eats a Glare + intimidate anyway and I set up Tailwind / spam Hyper Voice / etc for free.

Careful Black Sludge, some unoptimized, retarded EV spread. I win about 3/4 battles when using it; better than my actual VGC team, which is on a 0out of 8 battles won record atm.

Assault Vest Regirock.
187 / 221 / 190 defenses are absurd. Stack this with Intimidate and Snarl support. Add in Drain Punch and this thing just never dies.
LO Leaf Blade from Virizion, followed by a Mega Metagross Meteor Mash? Nope, he's still chugging along.
252+ MegaKhan Low Kick? 77% max.
252+ Rotom-W Hydro Pump? Still not enough to OHKO.
+1 252+ Mega Gyarados Waterfall? 89.8% max.
252+ LO Aegislash Blade Flash Cannon? Let's keep going.
252+ Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam? 96.7% max. Hyper Voice doesn't even 2HKO.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 69-82 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Good for parking in front of basically anything, it does not fear Intimidate, and actually counters Lando-T: Scarf 252+ EQ does not 2HKO, and Ice Punch cleanly OHKO's back (Adamant, 204 EVs).
For anything weaker than a Specs Sylveon, you're basically throwing baseballs at a castle. Rock/Ice/Fighting/Fire is crazy good coverage (EQ is an option too).
Might actually use this on a serious team, I'm just running this + arbok for lulz. And outperforming my much-better-built VGC team. ._.
Awesome ideas! Im really digging that regirock set! How do you come by that stats though? Serebii says its bulk is 80/200/100. Does it have a recovery move btw? Edit: oh of course Drain punch, and it also has rest. Maybe a curse set with drain punch and rocky helmet will be a good physical wall.

Another thing, my calcs say landorous does get the 2hko on it...
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 90-108 (48.1 - 57.7%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
Awesome ideas! Im really digging that regirock set! How do you come by that stats though? Serebii says its bulk is 80/200/100. Does it have a recovery move btw? Edit: oh of course Drain punch, and it also has rest. Maybe a curse set with drain punch and rocky helmet will be a good physical wall.

Another thing, my calcs say landorous does get the 2hko on it...
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 90-108 (48.1 - 57.7%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
Base defenses are 80/200/100, yes. it's actual stats, in the summary screen, are 187/220/190 with AssVest factored. My bad on wording :P

durr, I had it on Jolly Landog. Also, set it to doubles, not Singles.
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 78-92 (41.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO [doubles]
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 84-102 (44.9 - 54.5%) -- 37.5% chance to 2HKO [doubles]
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 114-134 (60.9 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [singles]

Assault Vest means no Rest or Curse. Here's the actual set:

Regirock @ Assault Vest
Adamant, 252 HP, 204 Atk, 52 Sp. Def
Ability: Clear Body

- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Earthquake / Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

204+ Atk Regirock Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 164-196 (100 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Curse could be fun, Weakness Policy is lulzy, and maybe ChestoResto but the Sp. Def drop really hurts it.

Oh okey i understand now. I only dont get the + from 'Lando-T: Scarf 252+ EQ' not if it is jolly and not adamant.
Is it really true that certain moves have less power in doubles than in singles? I never knew that! And the special defense drop is not that bad if you use it in singles i hope, because in singles you can just switch it in on a physical attacking pokemon or something. I get that in doubles defensive pokemon have to be bulky on both sides cause of the double threat you have to face every turn.

Charizard@Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Air Slash
- Counter

This was an old lead I used to check common physical attackers early XY with Counter + Focus Sash and not sure if that would work on most players today. After the activation of Focus Sash, Charizard gets its Blaze activate and can nuke with Flamethrower.
Focus Blast took care of Rocks Types and Air Slash because secondary STAB, but thinking back now, Air Slash does really nothing by being weak and really unreliable.

Aggron@Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Similar set that I used early XY, getting up at least 1 Rock Polish and if the opponent goes for a Super Effective attack, it gets a free +2 on its attacking stats. But there is now too much priority around for this to work I believe: Talonflame or Aegislash for instants.
And also most people expect Mega Aggron so many of the Super Effective hits won't come because of the expectation of turing to pure Steel.

Charizard@Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Air Slash
- Counter

This was an old lead I used to check common physical attackers early XY with Counter + Focus Sash and not sure if that would work on most players today.
I don't think so, mostly because I'm pretty sure Counter is an old tutor move, therefore unavailable on Kalos/Hoenn born Charizard and thus illegal on ORAS's battle spot. Instead of Air Slash, maybe you could try Hidden Power, or even Overheat.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Is it really true that certain moves have less power in doubles than in singles? I never knew that!
Any spread attack does 75% of its normal power. So anything like Earthquake, Hyper Voice, Rock Slide, Discharge etc...

I don't think so, mostly because I'm pretty sure Counter is an old tutor move, therefore unavailable on Kalos/Hoenn born Charizard and thus illegal on ORAS's battle spot. Instead of Air Slash, maybe you could try Hidden Power, or even Overheat.
Counter is an egg move for Charmander, it requires a chain though, eg: Vigaroth learns it at level 37, breed it onto a Rhyhorn, then breed it onto Charmander

jzplr

formerly SuperLuigi9624
This isn't that gimmicky, but I used it.

Sapphire (Garchomp) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Mama dragon kicking ass.
Funny story -- this is my in-game Garchomp. I just happened to get so lucky and catch a Jolly Gible, and this is the set that I like to use. I'm calling her a gimmick because, of the many Garchomp sets on the Smogon page, a Physical Life Orb set isn't one of 'em.

Even with her randomized IVs, and how common Garchomp is on BS, it still works for some reason. It's fun. :P

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
This isn't that gimmicky, but I used it.

Sapphire (Garchomp) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Mama dragon kicking ass.
Funny story -- this is my in-game Garchomp. I just happened to get so lucky and catch a Jolly Gible, and this is the set that I like to use. I'm calling her a gimmick because, of the many Garchomp sets on the Smogon page, a Physical Life Orb set isn't one of 'em.

Even with her randomized IVs, and how common Garchomp is on BS, it still works for some reason. It's fun. :P
Taken directly from http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/garchomp/battlespotsingles/

image.jpg

I mean the only thing that would be gimmicky is that you're using Sand Stream but it isn't with Sandstorm or Bright Power to support it so that doesn't even count. I would try replacing Dragon Claw with Outrage or Dual Chop, and to definitely try breeding a flawless one yourself! It's cool that your in-game one is working for you, but Rough Skin is a much better ability, and you'll find that you'll be needing the perfect speed sooner or later. Check my Helpful Links thread at the top of this forum for advice on breeding (and where to get Dittos)

Wow, I absolutely love some of these sets(Goodra OMG!!!, and I've seen that annoying Sylveon.) I've used quite a few gimmicky things, one of my favorite is...

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Ability:Infiltrator(you can make a very strong case for Pressure-if I still used this thing I'd probably breed a new one.)
EVs:252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Protect
-Infestation
-Will-o-Wisp
-Curse

Pretty self-explanatory. Deals surprisingly well with a lot of things, such as most physical attackers lacking reliable recovery, some set-up Pokemon, Curse will go to the next Pokemon if they Baton Pass, and Substitute users(Curse will hurt them through the sub, even without Infiltrator.) I think Spite instead of Curse could work, though I don't know what ability to use with it. I'm not positive the nature and EVs are the best, and I was wondering, since you can only really get five perfect IVs on a Pokemon reliably, is it better to have 0 Atk instead of 31 SpA? I ask since Infestation is the only attack, and so weak the extra IVs don't do much, and taking less from confusion and Foul Play would be great, especially on a specially bulky Spiritomb.

I also ran a similar thing with Cofagrigus...

Cofagrigus@Rocky Helmet/Kasib Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs:0Atk(always good for special attackers.)
-Curse
-Will-o-Wisp
-Energy Ball
-Hex

The fairly weird items are because of Item Clause-Rocky Helmet is pretty good, but most things avoid making contact with Cofagrigus if they can help it, so I usually use Kasib Berry for ghosts. This deals much better with physical attackers than my Spiritomb, though the lack of SpD is pretty significant.

Relicanth@Life Orb
Ability: Rick Head
EVs:252 Atk/ 44 Def/ 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Waterfall
-Rock Polish
-Head Smash
-Zen Headbutt

This was surprisingly good-I actually don't remember why I stopped using this guy. The EVs are meant to outspeed as much as possible-full investment doesn't actually give you much more than this. IDK about the 44 in Def, but I figured it made sense with Relicanth's amazing defense. This set is great against Talonflame, and most any 4x Rock weak Pokemon, as well as pretty much anything slower than you. This is from too long ago for me to remember most of what it's good for, but I know that it's pretty good.

Heliolisk@Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs:252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Focus Blast

I'm not sure this is that much of a gimmick, but no one seems to use this thing, which says a lot. It was mainly meant for Azumarill, though it would do good against a lot of things, since it hits so hard. I generally don't like Choice items, though(unless I'm giving them to the opponent), so I guess I got sick of using it. Certainly not terrible, though-if you haven't used a Heliolisk before, it might be worth a try.

Heracross@Heracronite
Ability: Moxie<--Skill Link
EVs:252 HP/ 204 Atk/ 52 SpD
Brave Nature
-Bullet Seed
-Close Combat
-Pin Missile
-Rock Blast

Even standard Mega Heracross is virtually never seen, never mind Trick Room. The moves are fairly standard, even if nothing else is. I didn't spend too much time on the EV spread, but I think it's okay. You don't need full attack investment with a positive nature to get most of your OHKOs and 2HKOs, and the SpD EVs help avoid some KOs, or at least reduce the likelihood of them. Defense EVs seem less good to me-you need quite a bit of them just to survive Talonflames Brave Bird with Reflect on your side. Some things you deal well with are Garchomp, Gengar, Mega Kanga, Suicune, Landorus-T, and Quagsire(there are plenty of others, of course.) This thing loves Wish/Healing Wish support, as well as screens, and I try to have at least two of those things on my team, so it works for me.

Aggron@Aggronite
Ability:Sturdy<--Filter
EVs:252 HP/ 108 Atk/ 4 Def/ 28 SpA/ 116 SpD
Brave Nature
-Heavy Slam
-Stone Edge
-Low Kick
-Fire Blast

Definitely an unorthodox set for a rarely seen Pokemon in BSS. Low Kick seems better than Earthquake for me because of its synergy with Heavy Slam and its higher damage against things like Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Snorlax(among plenty of others.) Fire Blast covers a lot of things that Mega Aggron can't expect to defeat otherwise, such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Tangrowth. I decided the EVs a while ago, but they have some reasoning behind them, even if I don't remember it now. I like to use this with a Sylveon, for Wish and Baton Pass support.

Regice@Assault Vest
Ability:Clear Body
EVs:252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpA
IVs:0 Atk(so lucky I got this, wasn't even trying for it.)
Calm Nature
-Ice Beam
-Charge Beam
-Ancientpower
-Focus Blast

With that s set, you get crazy special bulk, even w/o investment. You survive Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast(in the sun, of course) after Stealth Rock. The moves also let you beat a lot things, like Thundurus and Talonflame(you may be able to take the Flare Blitz!)because of the great coverage. This Regice also does really well with Wish and/or screens support-taking tiny damage from even some relatively strong special moves. The reason I don't have any SpD EVs is mainly because I have a 30 SpD IV on this guy. That's the same as 31 at level 50, but you need 8 EVs to increase your stat by 1, as opposed to 4 with a 31 IV, si it doesn't seem worth it. I also have HP Grass, and while I think Ancientpower is better, I'd like to hear what others think.

This is the extent of the gimmicky Pokes I have that are actually viable, and for whom I actually remember all the EVs, but I'd like to mention some of my other crazy sets like AV Claydol, and Brave mixed Goodra. Another thing I was thinking of was...

Porygon@Eviolite
Ability:Trace
EVs:TBH I'm not sure, but I'm guessing a split between HP, Attack, and SpA
IVs:31 in everything but speed, which should be 0(might as well be)
Quiet Nature
-Recover
-Iron Tail
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Beam/Tri-Attack

The point here is that, because Trace will sometimes get you something like Huge Power or Pure Power, having a physical attack may pay off. Porygon2's Attack stat isn't quite as bad as you might expect. The other moves give coverage, or a STAB with a great additional effect in the case of Tri-Attack, and of course you need Recover and an Eviolite. 0 IVs are good for Trick Room, whether Porygon2 is the one using it or not. You can use Download, too. Since it will give you a boost to one of your offenses, and you're using both of them, it has a very obvious use here. That said, I like Trace better, since there are a lot of great abilities you can get, like Levitate or Protean, which seems more beneficial than a +1 to one of your attacking stats.

Last edited:
Ok, this is an idea that I want to bounce off you guys. I'm new to the Battle Spot - so can you guys help a pal out? :)

Umbreon@Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVS: 252 Sp. Def, 252 HP, 4 Def
IVS: 31 across the board.
Calm
~Wish
~Toxic
~Foul Play
~Protect

This set's sole purpose is to aggravate the entire team and poison the opposition, weakening them until my troll shiny Shuckle comes in and destroys them with more stalling. Wish can allow it to heal up itself, and Foul Play is for the omni-present physical Mega wallbreaker. Protect is obvious - wait to heal itself and allow poison damage to stack up.

And here's my Shuckle:

Shuckle (Mold of Pain)@Lum Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVS: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
IVS: 31 all the way.
Calm
~Shell Smash
~Toxic
~Rock Tomb
~Safeguard

I really have no words for how annoying this is. I have won many battles against all legendaries and Primal forms due to this one Pokémon.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Shell Smash Shuckle is a thing that's seen occasionally, but the set I see most often is Shell Smash/Toxic/Infestation/Rest with a Rocky Helmet. Lum Berry + Safeguard is a lot of slots to throw away on just removing status and it only lasts four turns against a dedicated status user which is nothing considering how long this set can stall for. Rest is a lot better because it heals Shuckle's status and all it's health, and Shuckle doesn't really care about taking the two turns of sleep because of how well it can take hits once boosted. Sleeping also means that you're passing turns without making a move, making sure that you win 90% of all the PP stallwars you find yourself in. Infestation > Rock Tomb because Infestation prevents the opponent from switching and resetting the Toxic counter, making them that much easier to wear down. Rock Tomb's damage will be pitiful even before Shell Smash's Attack drop, and it will never ever benefit from the Speed drop so there's that too. Nothing wrong with your Umbreon set though, just make sure you have something for Taunt and you're golden (Oblivious Slowbro, maybe Mental Herb on Shuckle so you can get the Toxic off? lots of options).

Shell Smash Shuckle is a thing that's seen occasionally, but the set I see most often is Shell Smash/Toxic/Infestation/Rest with a Rocky Helmet. Lum Berry + Safeguard is a lot of slots to throw away on just removing status and it only lasts four turns against a dedicated status user which is nothing considering how long this set can stall for. Rest is a lot better because it heals Shuckle's status and all it's health, and Shuckle doesn't really care about taking the two turns of sleep because of how well it can take hits once boosted. Sleeping also means that you're passing turns without making a move, making sure that you win 90% of all the PP stallwars you find yourself in. Infestation > Rock Tomb because Infestation prevents the opponent from switching and resetting the Toxic counter, making them that much easier to wear down. Rock Tomb's damage will be pitiful even before Shell Smash's Attack drop, and it will never ever benefit from the Speed drop so there's that too. Nothing wrong with your Umbreon set though, just make sure you have something for Taunt and you're golden (Oblivious Slowbro, maybe Mental Herb on Shuckle so you can get the Toxic off? lots of options).
Thanks so much!

There was a gimmick I used to fun effects back during XY.

Skarmory @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Weak Armor Ability
252 ATK/ 252 SPE/ 4 HP

Swords Dance
Brave Bird
Iron Head
Pursuit/Roost

Essentially turning Skarmory into a pseudo-talonflame. You eat the physical hit to set off the speed boost that weak armor gives you while setting up swords dance. Then click brave bird or iron head from there. The opponent will almost always be forced to switch to handle sweeper skarmory, so you can pursuit trap them on the way out for extra damage, or just keep Roost to heal up from all the recoil brave bird is dealing.

Talonflame is infinitely better as he requires no setup, but the opponent expecting an ultra passive tank only for it to be suddenly outspeeding and blowing them up is always fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)