1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot

Discussion in 'Battle Spot' started by CoolStoryBrobat, Dec 19, 2013.

1. CoolStoryBrobat

CoolStoryBrobat The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
    is a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

You ever just go on Wi-Fi, hop in a game, and think you have a game sealed up by the matchup of your team vs. your opponent's? ...Until they just do something incredibly weird that you know wouldn't work in most cases, but it pretty much just saved them here? Well, I'm sure that's happened to all of us (or at least a good number of us) and most players (Not even just Japanese from my experience) can and will do this to you at times.

So I plan to use this thread to index weird sets that we've seen just for the sake of knowing about them, or in case they end up being a very popular thing to use in another nation. Or heck, maybe you feel like being "that guy" and using it yourself? Whatever the reason, just inquire within. Sets will be added to the OP in this format:

Pokemon @ Item
    Ability (Only fill this in if you have a pretty strong hunch, or leave blank)
    EVs (If you have a good estimate of what they could be, feel free to input. Or leave blank otherwise)
    Nature (If you know it, or at least have a good idea of what they're running, fill this in)
    - Move
    - Move
    - Move
    - Move
    (Known moves just have to be filled in mainly. Unknown moves can be left blank or estimated based on what the Pokemon was. If you're not totally sure, just leave a question mark next to it)

Would also help to describe maybe what your experience with the Pokemon was. What you did or had up against them and/or how it managed to pull the rug out from under you, that kinda thing. Or even show a link to a video? Do whatever ya wanna.

Like for example, I actually just faced this today:

[​IMG]
    Pinsir @ Pinsirite
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly nature
    - Earthquake
    - Sleep Talk
    - Quick Attack (?)
    - Return/X-Scissor (?)

What this Pinsir did, it actually switched straight in on my Breloom's Spore move and Mega Evolved after I put it to sleep. I thought I was home free, right? About to get that juicy OHKO with Rock Tomb? Nope. Sleep Talk. I got hit with an Earthquake. And even though Breloom resisted Earthquake, it broke its Focus Sash to allow a Noivern to kill it off later and pretty much give them the game. If the Pinsir didn't have Sleep Talk, I would've had my sash intact and the match would have gone...a little bit differently. :\

But yeah, like I said, feel free to post any other..."creative" sets you've faced here! I'll add them into the OP, and sort them out if this thread gets big enough

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    GlassGlaceon and Sky-Scythe like this.
  2. farranpoison

farranpoison

Might as well put some up here.

Piloswine @ ? (Eviolite?)
    Nature: ? (Defense boosting one, most likely)
    EVs: ? (Most likely 252 HP/252 Def)
    Ability: Thick Fat?
    -Stealth Rock
    -Roar
    -?
    -?

Used by someone in the high 1600s, JP player. He led with it, and set up SR first and then spammed Roar until it died. Probably because I had a Talonflame on my team, which I did bring and effectively neutered it. If not for a Focus Miss by his Charizard Y on my Mega Mom, I would have lost.

Blissey @ Expert Belt
    Nature: ? (Modest probably)
    EVs: ? (252 HP/252 SpA?)
    Ability: Serene Grace?
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Flamethrower
    -Soft-Boiled

Would have royally screwed me over had I not Frisked it with Noivern. Hits surprisingly hard, and has enough bulk to live a lot of special attacks. Used by a JP player in the mid 1600s. I forget how I killed it, but it involved a lot of just hitting it and it using Soft Boiled.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
    Nature: Modest or Timid
    EVs: ? (At least 252 SpA)
    Ability: Intimidate
    -Ice Beam
    -Fire Blast
    -?
    -?

Special Gyarados. Haven't seen one in ages. and it took me by surprise. Was able to beat it though with a Rotom-W and some careful switching. Used by a JP player in the 1600s.

Arbok @ Choice Scarf
    Nature:?
    EVs:?
    Ability: Intimidate
    -Switcheroo
    -Glare
    -Gastro Acid
    -?

Used by a JP player in Free Battle, but I put it here as an example of random stuff you could see. Paired with a weird CM Gothitelle and an Arcanine. He led with it, and used Switcheroo on my lead Greninja, which confused me, but I wasn't gonna complain about a Choice Scarf Greninja while he got Focus Sash which got broken by U-Turn. Switched to Kangaskhan, but it Glared me and then Gastro Acid'd me, which was really surprising. Neutered my Kanga, but I won in the end thanks to Hippowdon revenging Arcanine, and Gothitelle not OHKOing my Bug Greninja even with +3 Thunderbolt.

Looks like most JP players have a lot of weird sets.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    PokeBubble and CoolStoryBrobat like this.
  3. Hill

Hill ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day
    is a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

A very strange set imo is Special Tyranitar, even though it seems to be the standard right now. It's something like

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry/Shuca Berry/Focus Sash
    Nature: Modest?
    EVs: ?
    Ability: Sand Stream
    -Stealth Rock
    -Dark Pulse
    -Ice Beam
    -Fire Blast
  4. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Dumbest thing i've ever seen in my life, but it works so well

Reuniclus @ Life Orb / Other item(?)
    Nature: A SpD+ nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD (probably)
    Ability: Overcoat
    -Trick Room
    -Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball (Assumed)

It gives up LO recoil and immunity to passive damage for the ability to completely bypass Sleep moves and counter the shit out of Venusaur and certain Special Attackers.
    Guilan likes this.
  5. Octobre

Octobre

More than just a set, this is already a team built around all the Pokemon to support it.

Meowstic-M @ Leftovers
    ? (Bulky nature)
    ? (Bulky spread on both defenses)

Substitute
    Calm Mind
    Assist
    Psychic

This set is really annoying. Faced this set twice (both used by Japs) and never won against it. The deal is that this guy will carry this Meowstic and Pokemon which know spore. Prankster Assist-Spore is the big problem here and it seems these guys do not believe in sleep clause. it seems that the only way to beat this strategy is to bring an Insomnia Honchkrow.
  6. farranpoison

farranpoison

Or bring an Overcoat Mandibuzz.

What rating level did you encounter this set in? I've never seen it myself and I fight a lot of JP players.
    TwoBit likes this.
  7. Octobre

Octobre

In the 1600'ish. Only encountered this twice (although I haven't played much yet). And it seems like that. 90% of the opponents I face there are Japs.
  8. Phil274

Phil274

Would you be able to give a bit more info about the other pokemon in the teams and how battles typically went? Sounds like a pretty interesting strategy but I don't see how it could get past any team with a dark type, and assist would be gambling pretty hard unless the other pokemon in the team had no moves that could be called by assist except for spore? Although against a dark type it sounds like it would be a long drawn out fight... Does anyone know how a winner is decided if both teams have 3 pokemon alive when the timer ends? Or is it simply a tie and nobody gains points?
  9. Octobre

Octobre

From the looks of what happened, it seems the guy had only Spore in his Poke's. Stayed with him for quite a while and never did Assist yield anything other than spore. Although for the timer part, never really had a long battle which lasted for 30 mins. Maybe they use the same formula back then in Pokemon Emerald's dojo-ish battle facility? Just making a guess.
  10. Phil274

Phil274

Well I just had the unfortunate pleasure of coming up against a team like this coincidentally. Running Meowstic, Smeargle and Ditto. I thought I was alright after killing Ditto and Smeargle with my Drapion alive but Drapion was killed off by Dark Pulse from meowstic, so he wasn't running psychic. I had Mega Lucario left alive on full health but he was helpless against meowstic as it slept him over and over and boosted... Assist can't pick Transform so Ditto was a pretty clever choice. Smeargle only had spore.
  11. TwoBit

TwoBit

It's assist Liepard but not made entirely of glass. Quite scary actually!

Shuckle @ Leftovers
    Contrary
    Bulky spread, obviously

Infestation
    Mud Slap
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

This thing is pure evil if you can't 1 or 2hko it. Against set up sweepers it's probably more of a nuisance than anything, but I was running mostly bulky offensive pokemon like Arcanine so it was able to sap away half my team, slowly and painfully.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  12. Ankiseth

Ankiseth

Jap players never cease to amaze me, choice specs switchero noivern would beat this, i really want a sitcheroo noivern he seems to be the awnser to so many weird sets like baton pass, this and others.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  13. Kashinn

Kashinn

This does seem to happen quite often when players (myself included) end up over-thinking about the opponent's thought process with the threats presented and your reserves shown. And when a team is underestimated, it comes back to bite you as well. Quite a dilemma we've got here (:
  14. Guilan

Guilan

I've seen this weird set on gen V's battlespot, but I consider it weird enough to be put here. It swept my entire team.

[​IMG]
    Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
    Infiltrator
    252atk/252 speed (presumably)

~Swords Dance
    ~Acrobatics
    ~Seed Bomb
    ~Sleep Powder
  15. CoolStoryBrobat

Haha I actually remember this thing. The super rare offensive SD Jumpluff, I think I've even seen it used in standard play a number of times last gen. I would add this one to the OP but sadly Flying Gem isn't available, so this set lost a bit of value in the transition to Gen VI
  16. CoolStoryBrobat

Hate double posting, but I actually ran into this weird Raikou today, and I'm not entirely sure of its purpose, but it's definitely not your standard-issue Raikou:

Raikou @ Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe (?)
    Rash Nature (It was shiny, the event that gives out Shiny Raikou forced it to be Rash)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Roar

Like I said, not entirely sure what the Raikou's purpose was, but it just set up screens. Probably was to help something else sweep, but the battle we had didn't quite allow that scenario to play out...I also saved the video: 7ZEW-WWWW-WWW4-48PZ
  17. dw0914

dw0914

Speaking of weird sets, I'm planning to run something for 3v3 singles that runs counter to most players' expectations. It's gimmicky and suboptimal, but at least players will get a laugh or a surprise out of it. Here's a rough outline (nowhere near "RMT" quality since I haven't even thought out the moves yet):

- Modest SpA mega Garchomp (@Garchompite)
    - Modest/Timid SpA Gyarados (probably @Assault Vest or Expert Belt - going all-out attacker with coverage)
    - Adamant Attack Exeggutor (Life Orb? Physical coverage moves)
    - Adamant/Jolly Attack Houndoom or Flareon (Choice Band? Choice Scarf? Life Orb? Planning to abuse Flash Fire and hit from the physical side preferably with Fire moves, Crunch also an option on Houndoom)
    - Adamant/Jolly Zebstrika (Air Balloon? Focus Sash? Cell Battery? Could switch in on any grass move with Sap Sipper and/or electric move if I run Cell Battery gimmick to protect Gyarados)
    - some kind of gimmicky suicide lead with hazard support, if only because suicide hazard leads are not common in 3v3 - maybe Galvantula so I can run Sticky Web for fun.

As I said, I know it's suboptimal, but my goal is to run something I can get quickly from Friend Safaris and the like (maybe 3-4 IVs instead of 5), just to have a little fun in Battle Spot. Is there anything easy that I'm missing? Would M-Kanga be better than M-Garchomp for SpA hax with Parental Bond Ice Beam, Flamethrower, etc.? I like M-Garchomp's base SpA though. I feel like I should also have something else that resists ice since it's a pretty strong threat to most of this team (the lynchpin of which is really M-Garchomp).

...what if I replace Zebstrika with a stalling Thick Fat Snorlax with Smack Down and Fissure, to help take ice attacks? Perhaps with RestTalk, too.

I should also mention that it's frustratingly hard to run Physical-based mons that are normally Special Attackers. The opposite way is easy because of how many Physical mons can learn things like Ice Beam and Fire Blast, but it's really difficult to find good Physical attacks that are learned by special attackers (aside from Return and maybe Earthquake).
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  18. moonbase

moonbase

all of those things, besides the gyrados, are viable n their respected tiers
  19. MasterDan118

MasterDan118

I got wrecked by a South Korean in BS doubles, with him leading with Prankster Meowstic and Leipard. Both of them ran swagger, TW, and liepard ran foul play. I ran a set with Klefki, Charizard X, Garchomp, and Scizor.
  20. CoolStoryBrobat

To be fair while those are gimmicky sets, those actually aren't TOO far out of the ballpark...Most people you see running Klefki will have either an annoying Swagger + Foul Play set or a Dual Screens set. And if you see a Liepard, it's most likely Swagger + Foul Play if not a weird Assist build
  21. Mega_Charizard_Z

Mega_Charizard_Z

I got wrecked by this golem a while back actually:
    Golem WeaKness Policy
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly (Probably)
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed? (probably)
    Earthquake
    Automatize
    ??? (Stone Edge?)
    ???
    Enguarde likes this.
  22. Keynomaru

Keynomaru

Whimsicott
    Choice Specs (Was forced to swap out to change moves)
    Chlorophyll / Infiltrator (Prankster seems extremely unlikely due to choice item)
    Timid/Modest
    252SPA 252SPE (can only assume)
    - Energy Ball
    - Moon Blast
    - ?
    - ?

Never imagined an attacking Whimsicott........
  23. JackTheGordie

JackTheGordie

Hawlucha
    Rocky Helmet
    Limber
    Impish
    252 HP 252 Def
    Acrobatics
    Hi Jump Kick
    Roost
    Featherdance.........
    I kid you not, defensive Hawlucha against some JPN kid. I had nothing but physical attacker (Scarf Haxorus, Garchomp, and something else.)
    You can only imagine how fun that battle was.
  24. Bigy

Bigy

Pokemon chimecho
    EVs probably specially defensive
    Nature calm?
    - trick room
    - psychic
    - recover
    - healing wish

When the opponent cam out with this, I laughed. but somehow, it just destroyed a good chunk of my hp, and ended up healing his vaporeon just before it fainted.
  25. Olympus

Olympus

I came across this very unique Togekiss set being used by a random Japanese player the other day.

Togekiss @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252HP / ?
    Nature: ?
    Ability: Hustle
    -Extreme Speed
    -Follow Me
    -Psych Up
    -?

It was being used in a trick room team. The guy led with your basic Fake Out + Trick Room combo. His last two mon's are when things got weird; he had a Snorlax paired with a Togekiss and managed to pull off a Belly Drum with his Snorlax and then Psych Up to copy the + 6 attack on Togekiss. Then he tried to sweep the rest of my team with +6 Life Orb Hustle boosted Extreme Speeds. Really cool strategy in my opinion although I did end up winning in the end. Had Togekiss remained a Normal type and got STAB on Extreme Speed this guy would have definitely come out on top though...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)