Welcome to Amsterdam, my currently undefeated NU team

Hello fellow pokemon fanatics,

i hereby present to you my as yet undefeated (i believe i've platyed about 8 matches so far with this team) NU team. I was surprised at how well it worked since i didn't spend so much time on putting it together, i just payed some attention to the really nice NU teambuilding 101 article in the newest Smog and put some defensive synergies in. Without futher ado, i present to you the following team; they're stoned as fuck and ready to kick some ass:

Cheese (Sawk) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Your regular instant win button, AKA choice band Sawk, i put him in to usually lead and start the game off with some pressure to prevent hazards as much as possible. There's really not much more to say about this guy, he just kills everything that doesn't wall him.

White Widow (Shiftry) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 88 Atk / 244 SAtk / 176 Spd
Rash Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Nature Power

This is the least useful pokemon on the team right now, he's useful for killing bulky water types and killing the occasional frail ghost/psychic type, but really he gets the least amount of screen time on my team. Replacements are welcome, but its not like he's bad or anything.

Purple Haze (Musharna) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Heal Bell

Another staple 'mon in the NU tier, Musharna, or Purple Haze as i like to call her, is my go-to cleric, special wall when set up, and just generally a nice switch in when some powerful move is coming my way, cause she can ususally just heal it off. She's also no slouch offensively, the only problem i have is taunt on high spdef/dark mons.

Stonehead (Relicanth) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Toxic

I really love this guy. Noone really knows what to expect when i switch him in, and i can ususally abuse that nicely, with either a well placed stealth rock, a nice OHKO with that head smash, or a crippling toxic. On top of that he's a great physical wall, even things like Earthquake without STAb ususally don't take off more than 40-50%.

Intoxicated Bird (Swellow) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

I really wanted some immunities on my team, but i already had enough bulk between Musharna, Muk and Relicanth, so i decided to go with this ere bird. I really like Swellow because of the speed he brings to a battle, and he's a superb scout/early or late game cleaner. Combined with Cheese the Sawk he ususally has no problem keeping pressure up.

Cannabile (Muk) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Fire Punch
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Aaaand its everyones favorite heap of puke, Muk!
Seriously, i love Muk, and he fulfils the role of bulky physical threat on my team. He's also amazing for an unesxpected shadow sneak when being swept by say a misdreavus or a haunter. On top of that poison jab+poison touch will poison most things he hits, which is nice since my team doesn't have that many status moves. He can also sweep lategame if i can set him up nicely and there aren't any mons left to ohko him.

Anyways, any kind of constructive criticism would be appreciated, i really like this team so far, but there's probably a good lot of improvement to be made.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Smogon and welcome to NU!

Your team is pretty solid for your first attempt. Although i suggest replacing Relicanth with Tank Carracosta which does the same job but better. I'd suggest:

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
Evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
-Stealth Rock
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Toxic (Or Aqua Jet)

As for Shiftry, I'd suggest a Specs Charizard over it as it just hits so damn hard and imo a bit more speed on your team would nice.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
Timid Nature
Evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-Hidden Power Grass

You shouldn't have too much of a problem with bulky Water types as Carracosta can suprise Toxic them, Sawk can massacre them and Musharna wins 1v1 vs Alomomola.

(I'd also suggest playing more than 8 games before posting a RMT. Around 30 should do, so you know the weaknesses to your team better)

Thanks for the tips, i'll try out that 'Zard, i think i'm leaving my Relicanth in for the moment cause i really like him :). Also just saying i still heven't lost a game, got up to 1907 elo from 1000 in one day :pimp:

Not to be a jerk or anything, but I dont agree with the changes listed above. Your team is very good as it is. Zard is kinda good, you could try it. I dont think you will have much problems with Alomomola becuase Sawk 2hko's it (iirc) even after a Protect. If you really dont like Shiftry you could try out Scarf Electabuzz/Rotom-F. Relicanth is really awesome and really strong and really bulky. If Carracosta really does the job better, I suppose you could replace it but I dont see how it would. Also, are you Dutch? Because I am Dutch ^-^

thank you sir, and why yes i am dutch as you may have guessed from the many drug references and title of my team :P And yeah i replaced the zard with the shiftry, mainly because i want a switch in on Psychic because it kinda destroys my team otherwise, i just lost my first game to someone who made good use of a kadabra :(

Not to be a jerk or anything, but I dont agree with the changes listed above. Your team is very good as it is. Zard is kinda good, you could try it. I dont think you will have much problems with Alomomola becuase Sawk 2hko's it (iirc) even after a Protect. If you really dont like Shiftry you could try out Scarf Electabuzz/Rotom-F. Relicanth is really awesome and really strong and really bulky. If Carracosta really does the job better, I suppose you could replace it but I dont see how it would. Also, are you Dutch? Because I am Dutch ^-^
Um, Carracosta has Solid Rock which allows it to invest in Attack instead of Def. It also has a higher attack stat. Let me post some calcs to show the difference.

4 Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scolipede: 326-386 (124.9 - 147.89%) -- guaranteed OHKO

and

252+ Atk Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scolipede: 348-410 (133.33 - 157.08%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you see, Carracosta hits harder. With Relicanth using a move that has 1,5 as much power. I think you can imagine yourself that Carracosta's Waterfalls hit way harder than Relicanth's.

252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 192-228 (47.52 - 56.43%) -- 23.44% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 186-220 (52.99 - 62.67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Without much Def investment and with Solid Rock Carracosta takes only a bit more damage.

Tbh when i look further into it. Relicanth is the more defensive tank and Carracosta is the more offensive tank.
It actually depends on the playstyle of the user so yeah. :c

(Im dutch too)

Um, Carracosta has Solid Rock which allows it to invest in Attack instead of Def. It also has a higher attack stat. Let me post some calcs to show the difference.

4 Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scolipede: 326-386 (124.9 - 147.89%) -- guaranteed OHKO

and

252+ Atk Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scolipede: 348-410 (133.33 - 157.08%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you see, Carracosta hits harder. With Relicanth using a move that has 1,5 as much power. I think you can imagine yourself that Carracosta's Waterfalls hit way harder than Relicanth's.

252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 192-228 (47.52 - 56.43%) -- 23.44% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 186-220 (52.99 - 62.67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Without much Def investment and with Solid Rock Carracosta takes only a bit more damage.

Tbh when i look further into it. Relicanth is the more defensive tank and Carracosta is the more offensive tank.
It actually depends on the playstyle of the user so yeah. :c

(Im dutch too)
Ah, I guess it would be kinda better. I just really like Relicanth :p Dutch people unite!

Few Points. I agree with the point made above, that defensive Carracosta is far superior to Relicanth. I understand that you are fond of the Relicanth, but Carracosta can take place of the exact same role, and while maintaining Bulk, adds more offensive pressure against your opponent. Solid Rock is also a far superior ability to Rock Head, as really as a wall you won't be spamming that many Head Smashes.

Your team really isn't suited for Calm Mind musharna. Instead, I suggest the pivot set, as with a team like yours (Balanced Offense), you tend to want to have the upper hand. With the Pivot Musharna, you can risk running bulkier spreads. On top of that, it will help you spread paralysis to other pokemon, and as you dont have a Choice Scarfer, will help your team outspeed your opponents.

I love shiftry. Looking at your team, if you must have a replacement, the only one I can think of is Skuntank, which would allow you to put a hard stop against the psychics and ghost types of the tier. This takes a bit of pressure off of Muk and Sawk, as well as helps Swellow remove ghosts which typically wall it's Facade, forcing it to use Brave Bird.

Very nice team overall.

Sets:
Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Toxic

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Baton Pass

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Poison Jab

Sorry to you 3, but im not dutch :(

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll try out the new sets, especially the carracosta and musharna sets, i'm kind of reluctant about letting the shiftry go now i've used it some more since it's my main counter for physically defensive water types and offers more useful priority and non set up power.

I'd recommend Cacturne for Shiftry which is basically the same thing but gets spikes. It can take on bulky waters like Alomomola and Wartottle and turn them into setup fodders.

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant nature
~ Spikes
~ Substitute/Swords Dance
~ Seed Bomb
~ Sucker Punch

Since you have an offensive team, it would be a good idea to put a Choice scarfer in your team.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hello there, i see one major flaw with your team and that is the fact that your entire team is slower than 95 speed (bar swellow) and that is a huge problem in nu. I recomend that you replace one of your pokes with a much faster one.

i find that floatzel's high speed tier (115) creeps up on many pokemon that are at 95 and try to kill everything

either you can use bulk up floazel:

Floatzel @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Baton Pass
- Ice Punch

or CB floatzel:

Floatzel Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Waterfall
- brick break/ Return
- crunch/Ice Punch

feel free to use whichever one that you like best

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)