1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Welcome to BW2 OU, here's your rain coat!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by desklamp, Jul 20, 2012.

1. desklamp

desklamp

Pokemon Showdown is down, which means I'm bored. Boredom leads to RMTs, because RMTs are fun. So, here is the standard OU rain team that I have been using for BW2. While it is extremely standard, I find that it has been very effective and there are not a lot of threats that this team cannot handle.

At a glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Introduction:
    Welcome to BW2 OU, it's raining outside, so please take a rain coat!

With the release of Black 2/White 2 comes the addition of the Therian formes. With the addition of Therian formes comes one of the deadliest Pokemon the be released into the OU metagame, Tornadus-T. Tornadus lost power in exchange for speed and Regenerator, which means that he cannot be worn down with Stealth Rock. Additionally, STAB Hurricane is amazing in the Rain, 100% accuracy and not a lot of things can actually switch in on a Hurricane. The only reliable and common check seems to be Jirachi, but Tornadus can just switch out and heal off the Stealth Rock Damage. Therefore, I decided to utilize Tornadus-T on this team and strive to maximize its strengths and deal with his weaknesses.

In-Depth
    [​IMG]
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Ability: Drizzle
    Nature: Bold(+Def, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
    -Scald
    -Hidden Power[Grass]
    -Ice Beam
    -Toxic

Both the weakest member of my team and the most necessary. Drizzletoed is mandatory on most rain teams, and is necessary if you want to have a successful rain team in BW2 OU. We all know Politoed's role is to make it rain and have it keep raining. This EV spread and moveset gives Politoed maximum survivability, something that is necessary in order to win the weather war. Max Def and max HP allow Politoed to switch in on multiple times and live, allowing me to outlast their weather started and keep my rain up.

The moveset is fairly simple, Toxic +3 Attacks. Scald is a great move that packs a surprising amount of punch in the rain. The burn threat always makes opponents switching in think twice before sending a physical attacker in on Politoed. Ice Beam and Toxic are pretty standard and obvious moves, they help combat Dragons and bulkier walls that can switch in on Politoed. HP Grass is a deviation, and is not normally run on defensive Toed, but I find that it lets me hit Gastrodon fairly hard as well as deal damage to Bulky Waters in case I need Politoed to. Overall, Politoed's job is to live and outlive their weather, which he does nicely with this set.

[​IMG]
    Tornadus-T @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Regnerator
    Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
    -Hurricane
    -Superpower
    -Hidden Power[Ice]
    -U-Turn

Tornadus is the star of my team. Very little can actually take a STAB Hurricane. Regenerator allows Tornadus-T to switch in constantly, even with Stealth Rocks up, and still dish out tons of damage. The EV spread is fairly standard, Max Speed and max investment in SpA for those Hurricanes. Naive nature so Superpower can still kill Tyranitars and so Tornadus-T can somewhat take priority moves, since most priority moves are physical. The moveset is also fairly standard. I use HP Ice over Icy Wind because Icy Wind is pretty useless. On one hand, people use it to slow down incoming Scarfers who are faster than Tornadus-T and then destroy them with a Hurricane. But honestly, how many people actually switch in a faster Scarfer to Tornadus-T? HP Ice gives me a move that will let me kill Hippowdon if the Hurricane it switches in to take hits it. Everything else is standard, Hurricane because it hurts, Superpower for Tyranitar, and U-Turn so I can maintain momentum on switch outs.

I use Sharp Beak over Life Orb because the drop in power from Life Orb to Sharp beak is marginal. I found that when combined with Stealth Rock damage, Life Orb negated Regenerator. Tornadus-T would lose net health with a Life Orb equipped. The whole point of Tornadus-T is to ignore residual damage and be this constant offensive presence, and Life Orb was detrimental to that.

[​IMG]
    Amoonguss @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
    -Spore
    -Giga Drain
    -Clear Smog
    -Hidden Power[Ice]

My answer to Thunderus-T, Starmie, Breloom, and a whole slew of Pokemon is the giant mushroom. Amoonguss is a beast, walling a ton of Pokemon that would love to murder Tornadus-T. Amoonguss can even take non-STAB Hidden Power Ices fairly well, and can return fire wit Spore. Spore is a death sentence in BW2 and gives me a free switch in to Tornadus-T. Amoonguss is usable because of Spore and he covers Tornadus-T's weaknesses fairly well. Max HP and Max SpD so Amoonguss can wall Thunderus-T, Rotom-W, etc, while still being able to take on Breloom thanks to STAB Clear Smog and resistances to Breloom's STABs. Amoonguss is an amazing defensive pivot that lets me Sleep a pokemon and maintain offensive momentum, while being able to take a hit, something Breloom cannot do. The moveset is standard and is fairly obvious. Spore is possibly one of the best moves in the game, with 100% accurate Sleep, Giga Drain is STAB and lets me dent Starmies and Rotom-Ws, Clear Smog is also STAB and destroys any chance setting up on Amoonguss AND lets Amoonguss stop Keldeo in its tracks, and Hidden Power Ice so Amoonguss can hit Dragons and Therians.

[​IMG]
    Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Hydration
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Roar
    -Rest

HyrdaRest Vaporeon is amazing. It is an unkillable, unstoppable wall. Now, while you may be questioning me running 2 bulky monowaters with the same nature, evs, and similiar movesets, they work wonders together. Amoonguss covers both Politoed AND Vaporeon's weaknesses while they give me two bulky waters to work with. STAB Scald under the rain hits pretty hard with no SpA investment and always has that nice 30% chance to burn. Ice Beam lets me hurt Dragons, since Dragons are so incredibly popular in OU. Roar for phazing set-up sweepers, and then the crown jewel of the set, Rest. Thanks to Hydration and Rest, Vaporeon can instantly regain ALL of its health. Even without any SpD investment, Vaporeon can eat Draco Meteors from Lati@s and just shrug it off with a little nap. Rest even lets me stall out the Hurricanes from another Tornadus-T. This set is amazing and turns Vaporeon into an immortal wall, while still being able to hurt the opponent with STAB Scalds. Combining it with Politoed means that my opponents have two bulky waters that they need to plow through in the rain, making my defensive core incredibly hard to kill.

[​IMG]
    Landorus-T @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 196 HP/96 Atk/216 Def
    -Stealth Rocks
    -Earthquake
    -U-Turn
    -Stone Edge

The final part of my defensive core and a huge check to both Scizor and Rotom-W. Ground/Flying typing is an amazing defensive combination, and Intimidate just cements Landorus-T's defensive capabilities. His huge attack stat forces switches and gives me an opportunity to set up Stealth Rocks. This EV spread gives Landorus-T maximum bulk while still being able to OHKO Dragonite after Stealth Rock damage. Landorus-T is an amazing defensive pivot with his moveset, being able to take hits, force switches, and pivot to Tornadus-T. Earthquake is for obvious STAB while Stone Edge gives Landorus-T good coverage. U-Turn lets me maintain momentum and I put Stealth Rocks on Landorus-T because I needed SR on this team. A defensive Lando-T checks a lot of Pokemon with intimidate and forces switches, giving me multiple opportunities to switch in Tornadus-T. Combined with Amoonguss, these two Pokemon give me two defensive pivots, capable of coming in, taking a hit, and forcing switches, which just allows me to switch Tornadus-T in and dent their team, which is the ultimate goal of this team.

[​IMG]
    Terakion @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Justified
    Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -X-Scissor
    -Quick Attack

The final member of my team is a scarfed Terakion. Scarf Terakion gives me a powerful revenge killer, capable of busting holes through teams when combined with Tornadus-T. Scarf Terakion can revenge kill the therian formes as well as take down the walls that Tornadus-T cannot. The moveset is standard besides Quick Attack. CC, Stone Edge, and X-Scissor give Terakion wide coverage and hard hitting moves. Quick Attack is there because honestly, there isn't a much better option in that 4th slot. I mean, the other options are like Rock Slide and Sacred Sword, which aren't much better. Quick Attack is very bad on Choice Scarf and is really only there for ultra specific situations, like if my opponent has a Dragonite with 1 Dragon Dance that's at 10 percent while Terakion is also at 10 percent. Quick Attack helps there.

Leads:
    I have 4 viable lead options with this team, depending on my opponent.

Against non-weather Politoed is always my lead, because the earlier I get rain up, the earlier Amoonguss loses its Fire resistance, the earlier Vaporeon can wall things, the earlier Politoed and Vaporeon can actually do damage, and the earlier I can fire off Hurricanes.

Against Sun, Terakion is my go-to choice. Being Scarfed lets me threaten Ninetales with the OHKO and force something to take a STAB Stone Edge. Additionally, without Sun, Terakion can usually outspeed and threaten most of a sun team.

Against Sand, Landorus-T lets me threaten Tyranitar with an EQ and set up Rocks on either TTar or Hippo. Landorus-T also checks a lot of sand threats, making it a good lead in general.

Sometimes I use Amoonguss, in rain mirror match ups, or if they have a Voltturn team or something.

Final looks:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Anyway, thank you for making it through my RMT, leave a luvdisc if you luvdisc'd it, and please give me constructive criticism, constructive criticism is good.
  2. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Hi desklamp! Nice team btw.

Maybe you could try this Terrakion set that works pretty nice.

[​IMG]

Nigga (Terrakion) @ Rock Gem
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - Swords Dance
    - Substitute

And if you use this, you will need a scarfer, which can be Landorus-T, its really nice because nobody expects it, with its base 145 attack is a beast.

[​IMG]

Rwr. (Landorus-T) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Hope i helped you!
  3. Jirachee

Jirachee Kaleidoscope
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hi

The #1 threat in the current metagame, Choice Specs Tornadus-T, could very easily do an extreme amount of damage to your team. You don't have a Flying resist, which really hurts you, since Hurricane 2HKOes pretty much anything that doesn't resist it. Sure, you can revenge it using Terrakion, but it is very easy to know that the opponent is using a Choice Scarf set if it comes right after it KOed something, because Terrakion is normally OHKOed by Hurricane. Since it doesn't mind Entry Hazards, it won't hesitate to switch out in fear of losing 25% of its HP the next time it comes in. You can also stall Hurricane's PP using Vaporeon, but it is 2HKOed, so you can't switch in at all. You can't change the weather since you're running Rain yourself, meaning it is more than likely that it sweeps you. To be fair, lacking a Dragon resist is kinda suicidal in BW2 too, with all the powerful Draco Meteors running around, because they can beat you a bit in the same way as Tornadus-T, opening holes eveytime they come in. Swapping Vaporeon for a Specially Defensive Jirachi might be an excellent idea, since it can tank Hurricanes easily, while also taking Draco Meteors etc. Vaporeon and Jirachi are two extremely sturdy Pokemon and I think it's the most redundant one, so you won't lose much here except a Water resist, and even then, a lot of Water types run Electric coverage nowadays.

If you want to maximize Tornadus-T's potential at destroying teams with Hurricane, you should probably change its held item to Choice Specs. You said that Life Orb is detrimental to Tornadus-T's goal of not minding Entry Hazards, so you opted for Sharp Beak. The power difference between Sharp Beak and Choice Specs is very great and it allows you to secure more KOs, such as Terrakion, which is NEVER OHKOed by Sharp Beak while Choice Specs though, will always OHKO after Stealth Rock. There is no big detriment of using Choice Specs other than not being able to blast Tyranitar with Superpower after it came in to sponge Hurricane, still, Hurricane has such great coverage that it is the only situation that will hurt you. You could change Superpower for Focus Blast to take full advantage of Choice Specs then, however, it has shaky accuracy and Superpower still hurts Tyranitar a lot.

I really like Landorus-T on this team as I feel it is what makes its defensive synergy so solid, however, I think you could really support it better. Landorus-T has an incredible Attack stat, but it is slow, so paralysis support really helps it. Along with Jirachi who spreads it well if you take my suggestion, you could use Stun Spore instead of Hidden Power Ice on Ammoonguss. While you Spore their sleep absorber, which will usually switch out after, you can use Stun Spore which really cripples their switch-in. It's a very effective strategy as it allows Amoonguss to severly handicap two of their team members while it can't do much more really. A paralyzed team is a really easy prey for Landorus-T.

Finally, Politoed has a great moveset, but I don't think Hidden Power Grass is the best move it could have. Toxic really cripples bulky Water types like Gastrodon as it makes it much more difficult for it to wall stuff, and without investment you won't even OHKO it anyway. Perish Song is actually a very good move for Politoed because it allows it to phaze out dangerous threats, put an end to Baton Pass chains, and put you in a winning condition against your opponent's last pokemon, as long as you can last 3 turns (and Politoed isn't your last Pokemon).

Here's the set you should use:
    SpD Rachi (open)

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Serene Grace
    Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    -Iron Head
    -Thunder
    -Wish
    -Protect

Good luck!
  4. Zeta5

Zeta5

If you go along with what LilOuOn suggested I think it would be best to have a calm mind Keldeo in place of Terrakion since Keldeo wrecks in rain

maybe something like:

calm mind
    hydro pump/surf
    secret sword/focus blast
    Hidden power electric

nature: timid 4 hp/252 spatt/ 252 speed

item: life orb or leftovers

I say that IF you go with what LilOuOn said because you would probably want a scarfer so changing landorus to the scarfer then replacing terrakion with Keldeo could work.
  5. desklamp

desklamp

@ Jirachi
    ]I've thought about Jirachi alot since it is basically the only check to Tornadus-T in OU currently. However, after playing a lot with Tornadus-T, I feel like the best way to beat Tornadus is to deny it a safe switch in. I feel like my team does a decent job at preventing Tornadus-T from switching in, but this is a bad strategy, relying on denying rather than checking their pokemon. I will test Jirachi out once Showdown is back up. Jirachi also gives me a legitimate Dragon check so I can take HP Ice off of Amoonguss. The only real reason I haven't used Jirachi is because I really liked HydraRest Vaporeon since I feel that Politoed is a very mediocre defensive poke and Vape does it better, but I do agree that I need a Steel and a Tornadus-T check.

I'll test Specs, but I really like Sharp Beak. While the difference in strength is absurd from Specs to Sharp Beak, Sharp Beak lets me deal with both Tyranitar and Hippowdon, which helps me win the weather war and usually the game. Hurricane might not be as powerful with Sharp Beak, but it doesn't change the fact that it's STAB Hurricane and nothing really wants to take it. I feel like the difference between Specs and Sharp Beak is the difference between winning the weather war or nabbing a few more OHKO's, and I'd rather win the weather war and keep rain up.

I'll try out Perish Song, but I honestly don't do much with Politoed besides fire off Scalds and set up Rain.

@LilOuOn
    I really do not understand your reasoning for those changes. I lose both Stealth Rock and a defensive pivot and really only gain SubSD Terakion in its place. I personally feel that Scarf Landorus-T really squanders its ability to force switches. Landorus-I is better at being an offensive poke due to its speed and Sand Force, while Landorus-T is better at being a bulky attacker, similar to Gyarados in gen 4. Switch in, eat a physical hit, force them out, only Landorus-T gets up SR instead of a Dragon Dance. Intimidate really enhances a pokemon's defensive capabilities and was the reason Salamence and Gyarados were the terrors they were in gen 4, being able to sponge hits with it and fire back powerful moves. Thus I am emulating both Mence and Gyara somewhat with my Landorus-T.

@Zeta5
    If I did those changes, adding another Special Sweeper would be the least of my problems as I would need to patch up my defenses and add rocks. Additionally, under LilOuOn's changes, combined with yours, I would have 3 Water types. Combined with Tornadus-T, 3 water types would be really bad type stacking. Thanks for the rate but I would rather not have a quad electric weakness in the rain. That's just begging for Thunderus-T/Rotom-W/SubCMRachi/anything with Thunder to smack my team around.
  6. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Why don't you try Life Orb? with regenerator it makes a nice combo. Also with LO you can hit both pokes (tyranitar and hippowdon)

Well, that terrakion is such a beast, it gets 714 atk with 1 sd, and behind a sub it destroys.
    Then, if u change the set of terrakion, u will need another scarfer, my opinion is that the scarfer could be Landorus-T, but if you think that scarfed Landorus-T is worst than Landorus normal form scarfed, just use the normal form.
  7. desklamp

desklamp

@LilOuOn
    I explained why I don't like Life Orb in my write-up of Tornadus-T in my original post. 10%(LO)+25%(SR)=35%. Regenerator regains 33% of my health. 35-33=2. A net 2% loss in health if I use LO and my opponents have rocks, thus negating Regenerator. Additionally, again in my write-up of Tornadus-T, the power drop from Life Orb to Sharp Beak is actually negligible. I don't actually lose out on a lot with Sharp Beak. The difference between Specs and Sharp Beak however, is huge.

The problem with SubSD Terakion is that it doesn't fit on my team. Terakion's purpose on my team is to revenge kill. Meanwhile, adding SubSD would force me to try alter my team to deal with the things that wall it, while I don't have to worry about that on Scarf Terakion since I am not trying to sweep their team with Terakion, I'm just trying to punch holes in things. Also I lose Stealth Rocks. That's actually a pretty big loss.

Also, the issue with running Lando-I is that it doesn't actually fit on my team. Lando-T has a super specific niche for this team, being a defensive pivot that still manages to hurt things. Combined with Amoonguss, I have two very deadly pivots that force switches and put my opponent into unfavorable positions.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)