VGC Welcome to Lordran

Lordran Mission Statement

Lorderan is a unique take on the standard VGC metagame. It aims to eleminate common threats in uncommon ways.​

Lordran v2

Lordran v1

Team Building

First - Persian
Persian was always meant to be the starting point for this team. I have recently been playing through Blaze Black 2 and I have fallen in love with this Pokémon. He is fast and has access to some fantastic support moves, and a host of awesome abilitys which make him an interesting and effective lead.

Second - Charizard (Mega-Y)
I wanted a strong special sweeper to hold in reserve for end game sweeping. Mega Charizard Y seems to fill the roll well with access to a diverse set of moves that can OHKO a large portion of the current VGC Metagame.

Third - Conkeldurr *
Conkeldurr was added in to act as a partner for Persian, and a counter for Mega Kangaskhan. He is bulky, he is strong, and he has priority Mach Punch to land cleanup KOs. He also works as a slow Pokémon for opposition to Trick Room Teams and can disrupt opposing strategies with Knock Off.

Fourth - Excadrill
I started looking for a second late game sweeper and settled on a funky Scarf Excadrill. Scarf is rarely seen on Excadrill and nets him some easy KO's that would otherwise miss. Planning to partner him with Charizard means he can safely spam EQ with his main ally.

Fifth - Snorlax
I wanted a second set of leads to deal with opposing teams carrying a lot of Intimidate. Snorlax seemed like a fun option. He partners particularly well with his counterpart Sableye, but can also work with Persian If I don't think Sableye will be very usefull for the back half of the game.

Last - Sableye *
Sableye is litteraly the perfect foil for Snorlax. I chose him in tandem with Snorlax specifically for their synergy. The set as a whole is gimiky and will probably be dropped for a more serious support or even alternative sweeper, but it has proven more successfull than I anticipted.

*At risk of being dropped.

New Team Members & Changes

Sableye:

Sableye is now opperating in a purely supportive roll. I decided to drop Psychup and Shadow Sneek for Will-O-Wisp and Feint. This allows me to manage physical attackers better, as well as break protect for my focsed sweepers like Charizard and Primeape. I also opted to remove his attack stats and make him more bulky.

Conkledurr : Primeape

Conkeldurr was suffering from four move slot syndrome and was only providing Wide Guard support for Charizard. I felt like a faster Fighting type with coverage would produce better results for my team and so far I seem to be right. Primeape is fast, strong, has great coverage, and access to Defiant. With his current spread he works as a fantastic end game sweeper and hard counter to some of the biggest threats around.

Excadrill : Granbull

Deciding that Choice Scarf would be better on Primeape, Excadrill became dead weight and had to go. I took a look at what my team was missing and felt that a more direct counter for Mega Salamence, as well as an intimidate user would provide better utility and Granbulls heafty base stats mean he is simultaniously an offensive threat with solid coverage. These two changes in tandem meant I lost my wideguard support, but, meant I gained much more utility and 2 pokes who directly threaten the biggest users of Rock Slide in the meta.

The Team

Alvina of Darkroot (Persian) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Protect

Purpose: Persian acts as a primary lead for the team. She is fast, strong, and counters one of the biggest threats in the game, Landorus-T while simultaniously providing speed controll through Icy Wind. Persian has access to Fakeout which gives her partner some breathing room on turn one, and with her base 110 Speed allows her to out pace many of the more common Fake Out users. Taunt allows her to break opposing setup strategies and prevent defensive moves such as Rage Powder and Spore. Persian has proven her self to be a reliable lead and is not threatened out by much. I would say that she is probably one of the most reliable members and covers her roll near perfectly. Two of the biggest threats that commonly come into play are Mega Kangaskhan and Conkeldurr.

Threats:
- Power Up Punch breaks sash and KO's
- Drain Punch into Mach Punch KO's

Solaire of Astora (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Purpose: Charizard acts as a focused late game sweeper, on this team he is meant to sit in the wings waiting for an opportunity clean shop. In the Sun Flamethrower and Solarbeam can OHKO a large portion of the metagame including Sylveon, Amoongus, and Focus Blast (while unreliable) covers his few remaining threats, most notably, Heatran and Hydreigon. Timid nature over moddest simply to outpace other base 100 Pokémon since he is already getting such a large powerboost from his Drought. Bringing sun also allows him to soft counter other weather teams since he is usualy going to be coming out later in the match. As with most Mega Charizard Y's Rock Slide is a big issue for him and quite a prevelant move; for this I usualy bring my Primeape who is a direct counter to most of the common Rock Slide users with Ice Punch and Close Combat. Opting for Flamethrower over Heat Wave also means he lacks a spread move and is more seceptable to stall tactics like Substitute and Rage Powder.

Threats:
- Rockslide OHKOs
- Sucker Punch after +1 OHKOs
- OHKO's with Outrage
- Rage Powder
- Rage Powder (while a suicide) can prevent crucial KOs

- OHKOs with Brave Bird

Oscar of Astora (Primeape) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

Purpose: Primeape is a late game sweeper or counter lead for intimidate teams. He has fantastic coverage and respectable base stats with 105Atk and 95Spd, throwing a Choice scarf and with EV investment brings him to a blistering 220. Close combat is a reliable STAB that will OHKO a large pool of common threats including Mega Kangaskhan, Heatran, and Terrakion just to name a few. Ice Punch covers two of the biggest threats in the game Landorus-I and Mega Salamence. He also has access to Defiant which makes him a hard counter for these popular intimidaters. Rock Slide rounds out his coverage for Pokmon like Thundurus, and opposing Charizards. U-turn lets him run in the lead slot and bounce out if the match up isn't favorable. The only threat I have run into after about 30 games with this guy is Talonflame who can OHKO with Brave Bird and ignores speed entirely.

Threats:
- OHKOs with Brave Bird

Patches (Granbull) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch

Purpose: Granbull is here to set intimidate, and act as a tank, reducing the opposing team's attack, and bolstering his special defense with Assault Vest. His natural bulk is supported by a solid movepool, which offers good offensive coverage, and allows him to capitalize on AV's boost to defense while not missing Protect too badly. Play Rough is a reliable STAB that threatens prominent dragons like Mega Salamence, Garachomp, Hydreigon, etc. Close Combat allows him to deal with Mega Kangaskhan and Heatran, Rock Slide for coverage against Charizard Variants and Thundurus, and finally Ice Punch for Landorus-T. He is threatened out by Aegislash and Ferrothorn.

Threats:
- Immune to Close Combat, unboosted Flash Cannon 2HKOs
- Gyroball OHKOs

Maneater Mildred (Snorlax) (F) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Self-Destruct
- Crunch
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Purpose: Snorlax is a massive bomb waiting to go off. Turn 1 Belly Drum is supported by Fake Out from either Sableye or Persian, and then turn two is spent blowing up with Custap Berry for pseudo priority. Crunch lets him KO Ghosts if Self Destruct doesn't look like it is worth wasting, or alternatively, if he looks like he can safely stay in for a sweep. In the latter situation Protect gives him more reliable staying power. Due to his more gimmicky set normal threats are not present but he is susceptible to double protect, and Wide Guard. Priority Mach Punch from Conkeldurr or Hitmontop is also a threat that can 2HKO if left unchecked.

Threats:
- Immune to Fake Out and can use Fake Out to prevent turn 1 Belly Drum
- Prankster + Taunt outpaces my Fake Out and prevents Belly Drum
- Immune to Self Destruct, Perish Trap can sub to protect from Crunch

- Mach Punch after Belly Drum OHKOs, Wide Guard blocks Self Destruct

- Mach Punch after Belly Drum OHKOs, Wide Guard blocks Self Destruct

- Encore Trap

Lautrec of Carim (Sableye) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Feint
- Recover

Purpose: Sableye is here to reduce the effectiveness of my opponent, and open holes in their defense so that my focused attackers can break through and take out key threats. Fake Out support allows for Turn one setup with Snorlax If I opt to bring her as well as preventing opponents from setting up. Will-O-Wisp gives him damage control and increases his own relative bulk. Feint breaks protect giving my hard hitting single target moves a guarenteed in, and finally Recover is a reliable recovery move supplemented by prankster. The biggest threats to Sableye are other ghosts who are immune to his direct damage and often run special or support builds meaning they don't mind burn too much. He is also countered by Thundurus due to prankster allowing Taunt to stop his support moves.

Threats:
- Prankster + Taunt Prevents Psych Up

- Immune to Fake Out, Immune to Feint

- Immune to Fake Out

Team in Review

Notes

I feel like after extensive play-testing the team is much more solid as a whole, It offers both slow and fast modes if the opponent sets a trick room and most common threats are covered in some way or another. It has a bit of a weakness to Water, Electric, and Rock attacks in that nothing resists them but it also brings a lot of natural bulk and moves to handle any situation. With the combination of unique team members and suprising moves this team is a blast to play with and very effective in the current VGC climate.

When making suggestions please take note that I would like to avoid using a Landorus-T. He is a monster and offers a lot of utility, however, I personally feel he is imbalanced and does not belong in VGC. Other players can use him if they want and I would never hold it against them, but I would personally like to avoid Lando if at all possible.

Special Thanks To

ManOfDoom771
Serapis
QuietHeatran​

Last edited:
Reactions: DEG

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
Alright, first allow me to congratulate you on a beautiful RMT with some awesome and underused Pokemon. With that said, I must ask, is this team for fun on Showdown and battles against friends, or do you intend to use this at a live event? That question will be important later, but right now let's get into the team!

I feel that the easiest change is with Persian. As one of the few people who can say this, having extensively tested Persian myself, that much SpA is just a waste. Something like this lets you 2HKO Lando-T and Salamence while still having a little extra bulk (Timid Nature because if you're counting on Fake Out for damage you should be using Mega-Kang not Persian).

Persian @ Focus Sash
EVs: 124 HP / 4 Def / 124 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Protect

It might also be worth considering Limber because Persian makes an easy target for Thunder Waves and is much less useful when paralized, although I do admit that Technician Icy Wind's damage is pretty nice.

Conkeldurr is the Pokemon you expressed the most doubts about, and it makes sense. Non-AV Conkeldurr has a serious case of 4 moveslot syndrome. As it stands, Charizard teams really do appreciate Wide Guard support so you could run something like Aegislash. Other options include Hitmontop and Hariyama, but honestly none of them really fit with your team as it stands. Even Aegislash is a Steel repeat which you could do well enough without.

I'd also like to point out that Scarf Excadrill is kinda meh. Not only is it weak to Intimidate, it's also forced to lock itself into a single move when switching between it's STABs and Rock Slide is one of it's greatest strengths and it also fails to OHKO Rotom-W. All of that is ignoring the fact that your team only has one EQ immunity in the form of Charizard, and that Landorus-T outspeeds you and OHKOes with it's own EQ.

Really, I think that your team needs more serious speed control than Persian's Icy Wind, but I'm not 100% sure what changes to suggest given that your team currently has the Sableye/Snorlax thing going on. Speaking of which:

Live Tournaments
If you don't intend to use this team at live events, it's pretty much fine. I can't really make any suggestions about things to change without radically altering the current team structure. If, however, you do intend to use this team at live events or in a truly competitive (non-Showdown ladder) setting then I simply can't recommend your Sableye/Snorlax gimmick. Allow me to explain.

All "gimmicks" fall into one of two categories. The first are niche moves, the second are over-extensions. Niche moves/sets are uncommon or "bad" sets that are being used to cover up a specific weakness that your team has or because the Pokemon has no viable last moveslot and you have an idea you think could work. For example, I use a Poison Jab Terrakion because my team is weak to Sylveon. On the one hand Poison Jab is "bad" but on the other hand I don't really have any better options. More than anything else, if I don't use Poison Jab it's not the end of the world. My entire team does not depend on it. This leads us into over-extensions.

An over-extension is when you have a set that only works in specific situations and cannot function outside of them or relies on excessive setup in order to function. They tend to have extensive flaws like your weakness to your opponent simply Protecting on the turn you go for Self-Destruct, and they also tend to be much less effective when your opponent is aware of what you're doing. It should be expected that high level players will recognize Belly Drum/Explosion Snorlax and won't fall for it. While Psych Up Sableye is a cool answer to this, you leave yourself with a Sableye that can't function unless you have Snorlax out on the field with it. And that's all ignoring the Normal type repeat. Personally, I would keep Sableye but drop Psych Up for Will-O-Wisp, at the least.

As for the Snorlax slot, it really depends on what you do with Excadrill and Conkeldurr. If you can tell me what you feel comfortable/want to do with your team, I can make a follow up post detailing further recommendations for whatever path you decide to peruse. Good luck man!

I feel that the easiest change is with Persian. As one of the few people who can say this, having extensively tested Persian myself, that much SpA is just a waste. Something like this lets you 2HKO Lando-T and Salamence while still having a little extra bulk (Timid Nature because if you're counting on Fake Out for damage you should be using Mega-Kang not Persian).

Persian @ Focus Sash
EVs: 124 HP / 4 Def / 124 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Protect
I will defiantly give your EV spread a try on Persian. As for the Conkeldurr suggestions I will probably play test some of those switches tonight. Wide guard is a big move for me so retaining it would be nice but I do agree he is suffering form 4 move syndrome pretty bad.

I don't have any plans to go to VGC this year but I would like to make any team I work on "competitively viable" in the tournament scene so lets assume I am going to take it to a live event going forward. That said the Sableye becomes next to useless without the Psych-Up gimmick so I would feel more comfortable swapping him for a true support than dropping Psych Up for WoW. Snorlax can partner with anything that has protect even if I keep him and drop sable so that shouldn't be a problem.

Will-O-Wisp on Sableye would allow you to beat Kangaskhan 1v1 and greatly expand Sableye's utility. Right now it seems fairly useless against Landorus, Terrakion and a good number of bulkier mons. Will-O-Wisp is a great move to cripple physical attackers and get chip damage on bulkier mons.

I would second the change of Conkeldurr to a different Wide Guard user. As it is, your team doesn't have a super reliable way to beat Terrakion or Scarf Landorus - most of the checks you have can be rock slide flinched, especially Persian. If you do choose Aegislash as a replacement for Conkeldurr, I would recommend changing Excadrill to Scarf Heatran or Substitute Heatran (both Modest-natured) as Heatran synergizes incredibly well with Charizard and can take advantage of sun to get off incredibly powerful Heat Waves. It would also cover a potential fire weakness and discourage WoW though the latter only affects Snorlax with the changes. Aegislash gives another way to use Self-Destruct safely as well. If you keep Conkeldurr, change knock off for ice punch.

One final note, you may wish to experiment with a bulkier spread on Mega Charizard-Y - it often appreciates added power of Modest nature and enough bulk to survive (and hopefully not be flinched by) Landorus-T's rock slide, though Wide Guard should help with that.

Double traming with Char-Y and Modest scarf Heatran can win enough games and wreck enough holes by themselves that it is a hard to pass up composition (especially as your team name is LordTRAN )

Will-O-Wisp on Sableye would allow you to beat Kangaskhan 1v1 and greatly expand Sableye's utility. Right now it seems fairly useless against Landorus, Terrakion and a good number of bulkier mons. Will-O-Wisp is a great move to cripple physical attackers and get chip damage on bulkier mons.
This is a good suggestion and I will probably play test it a bit before my next update although preliminary testing has me feeling like I will probably end up dropping Excadrill, Conkeldurr, and Sableye for a more balanced offensive core and a more utility based support. Doing this will alter the dynamics of the team significantly.

I would second the change of Conkeldurr to a different Wide Guard user. As it is, your team doesn't have a super reliable way to beat Terrakion or Scarf Landorus - most of the checks you have can be rock slide flinched, especially Persian. If you do choose Aegislash as a replacement for Conkeldurr, I would recommend changing Excadrill to Scarf Heatran or Substitute Heatran (both Modest-natured) as Heatran synergizes incredibly well with Charizard and can take advantage of sun to get off incredibly powerful Heat Waves. It would also cover a potential fire weakness and discourage WoW though the latter only affects Snorlax with the changes. Aegislash gives another way to use Self-Destruct safely as well. If you keep Conkeldurr, change knock off for ice punch.
This is an interesting suggestion and I am leaning toward the Aegislash Wide Guard since it would remove one of my 3 fighting weaknesses and replace it with an immunity. I have never liked Heatran but I can see a lot of utility from him on this team.

Lorderan v2 Update!

New Pokemon and New Moves

Sableye

Sableye is now opperating in a purely supportive roll. I decided to drop Psychup and Shadow Sneek for Will-O-Wisp and Feint. This allows me to manage physical attackers better, as well as break protect for my focsed sweepers like Charizard and Primeape. I also opted to remove his attack stats and make him more bulky.

Conkledurr : Primeape

Conkeldurr was suffering from four move slot syndrome and was only providing Wide Guard support for Charizard. I felt like a faster Fighting type with coverage would produce better results for my team and so far I seem to be right. Primeape is fast, strong, has great coverage, and access to Defiant. With his current spread he works as a fantastic end game sweeper and hard counter to some of the biggest threats around.

Excadrill : Granbull

Deciding that Choice Scarf would be better on Primeape, Excadrill became dead weight and had to go. I took a look at what my team was missing and felt that a more direct counter for Mega Salamence, as well as an intimidate user would provide better utility and Granbulls heafty base stats mean he is simultaniously an offensive threat with solid coverage. These two changes in tandem meant I lost my wideguard support, but, meant I gained much more utility and 2 pokes who directly threaten the biggest users of Rock Slide in the meta.

More details in the OP. Please let me know what you think and if you have any additional suggestions. Thanks for checking out Lorderan!​

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
Alright. First off, Granbull. Once again, having tested it, I just find it to be rather underwhelming overall. Sure, it's attack is pretty good but it isn't amazing, and while Intimidate and Assault Vest do help shore up it's bulk it still goes down too easily for my comfort. I mean, just look at this:

180+ Atk Granbull Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 136-160 (75.1 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So with that said, here's my suggestion:

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 36 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 3 Spe
- Play Rough
- Waterfall/Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Superpower

This Azumarill underspeeds and OHKOes Aegislash with Knock Off, is 3HKOed by Adamant Lando-T Earthquake, survives a Jolly Mega-Kang Double Edge and is just generally powerful. While it loses Intimidate, it has extra Special Bulk, better typing which provides a nice secondary STAB and has a better matchup against things like Heatran. Ofc, it does weaken your Charizard matchup a bit but relying on Granbull with Rock Slide to beat Charizard isn't that great of an idea anyway.

Now, on to Primeape. Don't get me wrong, it's cool (yep, I've used that too), and I think it could work here. My one issue with it is it's frailty and the fact that when holding a Choice Scarf it becomes complete Fake Out bait. I mean, if it works keep it I guess. The one suggestion I will make here is that you should consider Stone Edge > Rock Slide. While I'll be the first person to admit that Scarf Rock Slide flinches are god, Stone Edge allows you to bypass Wide Guard and actually OHKO Mega-Zard Y which gives you all sorts of problems. If you don't want to that's fine, but you should be aware of the pros and cons of both options. Ah, and I'm just going to point out that if you decide to run Azumarill then running Virizion here would give you a nice F/W/G core, and more reliable Fighting type imo (Close Combat/Leaf Blade/Stone Edge/Protect with a Life Orb or Expert Belt).

Finally, Snorlax. I'm still far from sold on it as a Pokemon, and I'm even less convinced about the viability of your set. This is one of the few instances where I feel you would actually be better off using a set from Verlis. . . eh, don't. I feel that Thick Fat Snorlax would be the best fit for your team because of how it improves your Zard matchup. If you insist on running it, a moveset consisting of some combination of Return, Crunch, Ice Punch, Gunk Shot, Rock Slide, Superpower (Counter lol), Heavy Slam, Earthquake and Protect would be best. Item would probably be Sitrus Berry, and I think it would be okay but not really good.

If it were up to me I'd probably run something like Scarf Ttar in that slot if you opt for Virizion or maybe Tailwind/Wide Guard Aero otherwise. Your team still likes Wide Guard, appreciates Tailwind and really wants a fast Rock STAB or at least something quick to OHKO opposing Zard Y.

Well, anyway, hope that was helpful. Good luck with the team man!

Smh, if it was for this, all Landorus-T checks would DIE to its amazing flinching power.
So the thing is that Persian is easily 2hko'd by Rock Slide. Other Landorus checks are quite a bit bulkier (like Milotic). keeping a mon that outspeeds Landorus-T or otherwise checks it is very important - I consider Milotic a sort of soft-check as it discourages Lando-T given its amazing power at +2. Minimizing luck is useful.

Anyways, I think I agree with Serapis that Azumarill is a good Granbull replacement and about Stone Edge on Primeape. I hesitate to suggest Virizion because Primeape's entire niche is as a defiant user. I think Primeape can work, it's really scary when played well.

Also I think Mental Herb is a better Sableye item than Sitrues Berry as Sableye is a sort of slow Prankster user and you alrwady have Recover to gain back HP. Alternatively, Safety Goggle is a good pick to help beat Amoonguss. If you keep Sitrus, I'd recommend changing Recover for Taunt or Swagger as both give you a lot of utility

I hesitate to say this given your opinion on the genies, but if you change your mind, AV landorus-t does many of the things Granbull does but with better bulk, better offenses, a better speed tier and arguably better typing.

It's S-rank for a reason :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)