1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Well Liked - (Peaked #9 on PS!):

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Shouting, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Shouting

Shouting

I Just Want To Be Well Liked.

[​IMG]

Hello Smogon! This is actually both my first RU team and obviously my first RU RMT. I started playing RU right before Nidoqueen and friends moved down from UU. I originally started to play it because it reminded m a lot of DPP UU which has to be one of my favorite tiers by far. I tested out many things and found out the good, the bad, and the ugly, and this is the final product. Usually my first teams don't end too well, but this is different, as the RU tier is (in my opinion) easier to learn and get a grasp on when compared tiers like OU. This team uses some underloved yet still great pokemon in Escavalier and Lickilicky, while still incorporating many classics such as Kabutops. Now that Cofagrigus has left RU, I feel like this is a great time to post this team as it was built when one of the most dangerous pokemon was running around in RU. Without further adu, I bring you, Well Liked! :heart:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nothing to see here. (open)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lickilicky @ Leftovers
    Trait: Own Tempo
    252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    [​IMG]Body Slam
    [​IMG]Wish
    [​IMG]Protect
    [​IMG]Heal Bell / Power Whip

Lickilicky is just awesome. First, he looks adorable and is such a boss. Second of all, he can tank hits like it's no one's business with 110 / 95 / 95 base defenses. With Special Defense investment, Lickyilicky can handle a number of threats that are popular in the meta game like Nidoqueen. It has niche uses over Lanturn and Clefable in that it has a good offensive presence and has reliable recovery, as well as just being overall bulkier. To give you an example of how fat Licky is, he is never OHKO'd by Scarf Primape's Close Combat. Crazy!

Wish and protect allow Lickilicky to recover it's health and support it's teammates. It's also incredibly funny when a Medicham comes in and kills itself when I use Protect because it's too eager to High Jump Kick. Wish is important because thanks to Licky's great HP stat, it restores the team's health which is important because they all lack recovery. It works especially well with Spirtitomb because the first thing people do is bring out a Ghost or Fighting type when they see Licky, which means a free recovery to Spirtitomb. Body Slam is for the STAB and hits resonably hard and gives Hitmonlee, Medicham, and Gallade something to think about before they switch in. Power Whip may seem odd but it 2HKOs 172 HP Spiritomb, OHKOs Omastar, Kabutops, and 2HKOs Feraligator, all who love to switch in on Licky and are otherwise big threats to the team. However, most of time I use Heal Bell because it makes Licky virtually invincible because it laughs at toxic and burn. It also heals and burns that would make Esca useless, and paralysis that makes Galvantula sad. Although I'm open o change, Lickyilicky isn't going anywhere, and if you say to replace it with Clefable I'll die a little inside.

[​IMG] @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    [​IMG]Megahorn
    [​IMG]Iron Head
    [​IMG]Return
    [​IMG]Reversal

What does 405 Attack with a base 120 power STAB move bakced by Choice Band mean? Something will die. With good Defensive and Offensive typing, Esca is one of my favorite pokemon to use in RU. It can check a bunch of threats, mainly grass types that use Hidden Power Rock to hit that oversized flame bird. Esca can easily take a hit if need be and just impale anything that comes in it's way with Megahorn. Anything that doesn't resist bug is not safe, and even things that do aren't. For example, 12 HP Hariyama is 2HKO'd, and Hitmonlee (which resists bug, mind you) is OHKO'd anyway. The amount of power this thing has is ridiculous. The Evs really aren't too relevant now because Cofagrigus is gone, but it does allow me to outspeed Slowking too which is awesome because they would otherwise toast me with Flamethrower.

Usually I just click Megahorn and watch things die, but sometimes I indeed use something else. Iron Head is a second STAB I use in case I can't afford to miss and still has good power. Return is just for Fire Types, it OHKOs Moltres after Stealth Rock and it hits Entei so hard it's head will spin; this is really important because this team really hates Entei. Reversal seems odd, but if I'm at 34% to 20% it becomes a 80 base power move that I can use to break through Steelix and Aggron, which otherwise can take anything I throw at them. Situational, yes, but it's not like you need that slot for anything else, right?​

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    [​IMG]Earthquake
    [​IMG]Gyro Ball
    [​IMG]Stealth Rock
    [​IMG]Roar

Eh, not too much to say about this guy, since everyone really knows Steelix walls a lot of threats like Esca, Aggron, and Klinklang. His defense is through the roof, which actually means he can shrug off even super effective hits which is just insane. He doesn't have the best attack, but high power moves in Gyro Ball and Earthquake help compensate for this. Sturdy is pretty cool on this guy because leftovers will cancel out the stealth rock damage which means he'll still have it around a bit. Steelix usually gets Stealth Rock up fairly easily and reliably thanks to sturdy and great bulk. Roar is here for random baton pass users like Volbeat which I'd rather not deal with. The EV spread is pretty standard and 0 IVs in speed make gyro ball hit as hard as possible.

[​IMG] @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Compoundeyes
    252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    [​IMG]Thunder
    [​IMG]Bug Buzz
    [​IMG]Energy Ball
    [​IMG]Hidden Power Ground

Oh man, this guy is amazing in this metagame. It outspeeds most of the common threats with it's awesome speed and it's coverage is excellent in this metagame when Bug hits key threats like Tangrowth, Slowking, Uxie, Mesprit, for super effective damage, while bug resistors, like Moltres, just get hit hard by STAB Thunder boosted by Compundeyes.

Bug Buzz and Thunder are great STAB moves that complement each other rather well. Energy Ball is mainly for Lanturn and Ground types that want to come in expecting a Thunder, like Sandslash. Hidden Power Ground is useful for Steelix and Nidoqueen which would otherwise give me trouble. So yeah, Ground is the best choice on Galvantula, stop using Ice! ​

[​IMG] @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    [​IMG]Swords Dance
    [​IMG]Aqua Jet
    [​IMG]Stone Edge
    [​IMG]Rapid Spin

Best Spinner in RU? Quite possibly! Kabutops is not only here to spin, but to check fire types who can get past lickyilicky, like Entei. This role is major which is why I don't play games with this thing, because it needs to be alive. This means I won't go for an early Swords Dace boost unless I see it's good. Aside from checking those aforementioned fire types, Kabutops can also act as sweeper or mid-game wall breaker, which other spinners can't boast.

Aqua Jet is cool because you can never have too much priority right? With Aqua Jet and Shadow Sneak, I have some emergency panic buttons against a few sweepers that manage to set up on me.

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
    Brave Nature
    [​IMG]Shadow Sneak
    [​IMG]Will-o-Wisp
    [​IMG]Dark Pulse
    [​IMG]Pain Split

Another weird set, but let me explain. This set is kind of custom built for my team. Physical Spritomb is too unreliable to do consistent damage to walls or things that just plain don't attack, while Special Spritimb lacked the utiltity of Priority, so I married the two together to get the boost of both worlds. Shadow Sneak is here for one thing and that is Gallade which would otherwise run through my team. It is one of the most solid answers to it so I can be comfortable in it. The Evs are tailored so I can 2HKO 200HP Gallade which is necessary. Will-o-wisp is actually pretty unexpected on spritomb because they tend to be choiced. It cripples a lot of physical threats that I can be weak to. Dark Pulse might seem weak with no investment, but it's main purpose was to 2HKO OTR Cofagrigus , which it did without investment. 8 Spe EVs allow me to outspeed those same base 30's like Slowking. Pain Split, when combined with Wish support makes Spiritomb last for a really long time to spread burn and support the team against dangerous Fighting types.

Threats:

Show Hide
    [​IMG] Entei and Fire types can be annoying but they can be played around with Stealth Rock, Lickilicky, Galvantula and Kabutops. This is why I play carefully when it comes to Kabutops.

[​IMG]+[​IMG] Yeah...Big threats here. This is why I consider Power Whip on Lickyilicky sometimes because I have no water resist. Luckily these two aren't all that common.

Ground types seem bad, but there really aren't that many ground types in RU and Steelix can usually tank weak ones.

There are probably more but they are escaping my mind right now. I'll add more later

importable (open)
    Escavalier @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 252 Atk / 84 Spd / 172 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Megahorn
    - Return
    - Reversal

Kabutops @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance
    - Aqua Jet

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
    Careful Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Heal Bell
    - Wish
    - Protect

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
    EVs: 8 Spd / 248 HP / 252 Atk
    Brave Nature
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Dark Pulse
    - Pain Split

Galvantula @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Compoundeyes
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Thunder
    - Energy Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ground]

Steelix @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 32 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Gyro Ball
  2. Gengan

Gengan

Ctrl + F Rain Dance = 0 of 0

If you're not using Rain then Swift Swim on Kabutops is totally useless. Since Weak Armor makes it harder for you to check Entei, Battle Armor is the way to go because Swift Swim has nothing to offer on this team. Besides, a random crit could make a huge difference so having that assurance is always nice.

btw use Clefable I'm kidding don't shoot me lol
  3. asterat

asterat

Decent team

To be honest, lickilicky isn't very good. I suggest you replace it with a munchlax who resists fire, still takes on nidoqueen, can phaze, and has better bulk. It can take +2 LO hydro pump from even omastar. I also suggest you use a tangrowth over steelix and sandslash over kabutops so you have a rapid spinner and a pokemon to take water moves. Tangrowth also provides a pretty physically bulky pivot, tanking powerful attacks like +2 acrobatics from sceptile (without flight gem). I know this is a lot of changes, but I think they could seriously help you out here. I also do not really understand what your spiritomb is meant to do. Choice band spiritomb forms a great offensive core with choice band escavalier because it can get the annoying fighting types who resist megahorn. Choice band spiritomb is a great revenge killer which your team may benefit from because a lot of your team is kind of slow. I know you may not like these changes because they ask you to use 4 choice users and change your whole team around but I fell they could help so please try them out ;).

Sets (open)
    Munchlax @ Eviolite
    EVs: 104 HP / 224 Def / 180 SpD
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
    - Body Slam
    - Whirlwind
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Spiritomb (F) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sucker Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Trick

Sandslash (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock

Tangrowth (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
  4. Entei999

Entei999

I'm not much of a rater, but one thing I noticed is that half your team is weak to Fighting-Types. Spiritomb is immune, but you have no super effective moves to deal with them, so Pokemon like Hitmonchan can give you grief if Spiritomb is down. I recommend adding a Flying- or Psychic-Type move to one of your Pokemon. I can't say which, but it's something to consider.
  5. Incon

Incon

Hi there Shouting! Nice team you have here. Lickilicky is one of my favorites to use as well. While there might be better options, you did a good job building a team around it. Contrary to what some previous raters have said, fighting isnt your biggest weakness to your team. While it is a problem, Water types, like the ones you mentioned are much more problematic. I don't want to change your whole team either because most mons are a good fit. I do however, have two changes that i think will work for your team nicely.

First, Steelix seems to be a weak link on your team. While his defense is amazing and the typing is nice, it isnt really needed for your team simply adding to the Fighting and Water weaknesses. I have a good replacement as a lead and SR setter that i have been recommending to almost every team because it is that good. Stealth Rock Druddigon would provide your team with useful resistances to common types that threaten your team such as Water, Fire, and Grass. Sheer Force + Life Orb + Strong Attacks + Priority make Druddigon extremely scary after SR giving your team some more offensive presence, which Steelix wasnt doing.

Second, Kabutops is a great check to fire types and can rapid spin away hazards but your team isnt all that weak to them. Because we removed a prominent defensive behemoth and replaced it with an offensive SR setter, i propose that you replace Kabutops with something that can tank physical hits extremely well while also hitting back hard. Poliwrath fits very nicely in place of Kabutops in that it can tank Fire attacks with ease and hit them for SE damage. Poli's secondary fighting typing is a nice trait to have and gives him an arguable better defensive typing to have. Water Absorb is a great ability to have which also helps with your bad Water weakness. Even though you forgo Rapid Spin, your team isn't too weak to them so it shouldnt bother you. A Sleep Talk set would work nicely, giving you a means to tank status which can also hurt your team.

Summary:
    Druddigon > Steelix
    Poliwrath > Kabutops

Sets:
    Show Hide
    Druddigon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Outrage
    - Sucker Punch
    - Fire Punch
    - Stealth Rock

Poliwrath (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Circle Throw
    - Scald
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

There's some advice for you while still trying to keep the base of your team. Hope i helped and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)