What about the Other Mons?

We've been making threads about the legendaries that are now legal this year, and we haven't talked about any of the other things. I'm pretty sure Mawile, Kangaskhan, and all of them feel left out so I've decided to make a thread on them and some ideas I've been having.
These things are great and will probably do well in tournaments

please don't
These things seem like they might work on cool teams and might be fun to try

These don't look that cool but they're probably good

fuck this

These make me lol when I see them, and then cry after the game because I won to my opponents building awful teams and didn't get any good testing done.

anything verlisify uses ever

So, what are your thoughts? I think there are more good mons out there waiting to be discovered, post any other mons you like using itt

Last edited:
Looks like a good list to me, but I haven't actually played too many games. I'm thinking Kangaskhan, Mawile, and Rayquaza will be the Mega 95% of the time.

Demantoid

[10:43:28] #Mishiimono)⊙﹏⊙✿( kills a dewgong
I wouldn't put Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Heatran, or Ludicolo in the same as things like Spinda. They don't have absolutely zero viability.

imo it's really hard to say they're bad when they've been good in most doubles meta games we know but Ferrothorn literally only beats Xerneas and Primal Kyogre (and it doesn't even do it that easily, as it takes max spa ice beam from Primal Kyogre and focus blast/hp fire from Xerneas before it even takes its turn while needing lots of investment in attack to ensure the KO on some things as seen in below calcs), and then it just loses to most other things. Not to mention there are a few things that can beat Xerneas/Primal Kyogre even better than Ferrothorn without being a complete waste such as Primal Groudon (difficult with rain up but easy with sun up) which is on like every team, and if it's not on that team it's probably Aegislash or Rayquaza or like scarf iron head Zekrom or something.
252+ Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (142 BP) vs. 184 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 218-258 (97.3 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Ferrothorn: 128-152 (70.7 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 198-234 (95.6 - 113%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn in Heavy Rain: 65-77 (35.9 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Tyranitar loses to everything in the game minus like Cresselia Talonflame and Thundurus and maybe Aegislash. It also has the worst speed ever.

Heatran is ass because it cannot do anything. It loses to both primals, is outsped by everything, and deals very little damage when given the opportunity to move.

As for Ludicolo, I'm still sort of on the edge about putting it in with Spinda/Shedinja, but I put it in there because Rain isn't that good even with the addition of primal rain because it gets canceled out so easily, and outside of rain Ludicolo is outsped by the entire meta game and has literally 0 bulk. People also argue that they run it as a Primal Kyogre check but literally Mega Kangaskhan Primal Groudon Cresselia Yveltal Xerneas Zekrom Kyurem-White Mega Mawile Thundurus Mega Rayquaza (shall I go on?)

You should add Crobat to this list.

It has...

- a fast Taunt
- Inner Focus to prevent flinches
- Super Fang for wallbreaking
- Tailwind to support it's teammates
- Quick Guard to support it's teammates even more
- a Ground-type immunity and Fairy-type resistance

At least as long as Smeargle Dark Void is a huge problem, Meowstic-M seems like a good support option.

You can:
  • Safeguard against Dark Void... Then Swagger your own Primal Groudon.
  • Thunder Wave for Speed Control.
  • Helping Hand for a damage boost.
  • Fake Out to help your Xerneas set up.
  • Quick Guard to help shut down your opponent's Liepard/Thundurus shenanigans.
  • Swagger your opponents pokemon for the RNG or to boost Yveltal Foul Plays. Or Both.
  • Give thanks to the almighty Ear Cat.

At least as long as Smeargle Dark Void is a huge problem, Meowstic-M seems like a good support option.

You can:
  • Safeguard against Dark Void... Then Swagger your own Primal Groudon.
  • Thunder Wave for Speed Control.
  • Helping Hand for a damage boost.
  • Fake Out to help your Xerneas set up.
  • Quick Guard to help shut down your opponent's Liepard/Thundurus shenanigans.
  • Swagger your opponents pokemon for the RNG or to boost Yveltal Foul Plays. Or Both.
  • Give thanks to the almighty Ear Cat.
I had never really thought about meowstic that way, it looks to me like a really cool mon n_n

Terrakion should be on here somewhere. It's good Speed lets it outrun most of the Ubers and it can deal a lot of damage to things like Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, and Mega Kangaskhan. It also has Quick Guard and Taunt which can stop Pranksters and Xerneas, respectively. Its Quick Guard is fast enough to block Fake Outs from everything worth using besides Weavile and Ludicolo in the Rain.

NOVED

twitch.tv/novedpoke
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I think genies will still be really good. I personally think they deserve to be in that top spot there.

Lando-T is still strong as hell even against uber defenses and intimidate is nice. & Explosion coming off base 145 atk is pretty sweet for dealing with all the tanky shit we have now.

Thundurus has prankster twave which is really valuable imo. Pdon obviously hurts its viability a bit but I still think thund is a really solid pick because of that solid speed control with its good offensive presence, and it can pull shit off with Swagger if ever necessary. Role Play with kyogre is a really cool combination as well.

I think genies will still be really good. I personally think they deserve to be in that top spot there.

Lando-T is still strong as hell even against uber defenses and intimidate is nice. & Explosion coming off base 145 atk is pretty sweet for dealing with all the tanky shit we have now.

Thundurus has prankster twave which is really valuable imo. Pdon obviously hurts its viability a bit but I still think thund is a really solid pick because of that solid speed control with its good offensive presence, and it can pull shit off with Swagger if ever necessary. Role Play with kyogre is a really cool combination as well.
In a time seemingly forgotten, I ran a team centered around Role Play Ninetales. It was a surprisingly powerful force, and rather useful.
Ability-based moves such as Role Play, Skill Swap, Entrainment, Gastro Acid, and Worry Seed could become more common. I'm actually experienced with this stuff, too. It may be challenging to pull off something as unique as my Gen 5 Drought team again, but I'm nothing if not adaptable.

Landog could be pretty important for Pdon. Ground+Fire+Rock coverage is simply savage, and AV Landog can actually handle it. Of course, we may need CB Landog for damage against it, but Landorus-T does, very crucially, outspeed Groudon and Cresselia. Mold Breaker Excadrill could be good too, it's hard to say.

edit: thunk moar

Thundy is, from my experience, only good for Prankster Dick Wave and Taunt; bulk sucks and it's not that strong without an offensive set (but god damn is offensive Thundy a bitch, why is it so rare).

I wonder if Cloud Nine Altaria could be a thing, though. Resists Ground/Fire/Water for switching in, it doesn't get a Speed change from Mega evolving so it can honestly Protect+non-Mega for a bit (similar to Gyarados). Like Rayquaza, but 1000% worse. Post Mega, it's useless against Groudon but has a shot at MegaRay.

Hell, on that note Gyarados could actually be solid. Walls Pdon pretty well, has EQ to at least tickle it, Intimidate, and doesn't fear much from Rayquaza/Kyogre either (bar Thunder). And it could be quite the cunt in Delta Stream or Primordial Sea (dat WoW immune). Thunder Wave lets it stop Rayquaza too.

Last edited:
Altaria cannot stay non mega the way Gyarados did lol it does nothing to anything at all and just prevents the primal weather. Not to mention as a mega it does virtually nothing against most other mons that exist.
252+ SpA Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 28-34 (15.5 - 18.8%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 187-220 (102.7 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also Gyarados doesn't check Pdon with EQ (which requires a levitating partner) and cannot stand up to any of the primals at all.
252+ Atk Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 62-74 (29.9 - 35.7%) -- 24% chance to 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 138-164 (70 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados in Heavy Rain: 74-87 (37.5 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Thunder vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 352-416 (178.6 - 211.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You're forgetting Liepard. Access to Role Play, Encore, STAB Foul Play, Twave, AND Fake Out faster than Kang? This thing is nice.
I didn't forget. I might place it higher after I test it, but I expect it to be pretty good :]

252+ SpA Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 28-34 (15.5 - 18.8%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 187-220 (102.7 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This doesnt seem right. I'm seeing a 2hko on both depending on specifics. (I'm no expert but I plugged it into Nugget Bridge's calcs...)

Last edited: