What aren't we writing about? (Pokemon unfit for OU Analyses)

I already started a Poliwrath and Ursaring, and I already wrote sets for Bibarel and Slowbro. However, I believe that all of them are viable and should have analyses.

Poliwrath is a powerful rain sweeper with Belly Drum.
Ursaring is a great late game sweeper after a Swords Dance which activates its Toxic Orb and Quick Feet.
Bibarel is a great Inconsistent abuser and a great wall breaker.
And Slowbro is a fantastic physical wall with Regeneration and the best user of Trick Room.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Proposing the removal of the following Pokemon: Alakazam, Exeggutor, Hitmonlee, Nidoqueen, Probopass, Qwilfish, and Weezing.

Alakazam - Got new tools in the way of Magic Guard and Psycho Shock. I'm not saying this makes it a new huge threat, but possibly worthy of an OU analysis, or at least a discussion over it?

Exeggutor - Becomes a monster with Ninetails's sun; can also run ChestoResto very effectively with its new Harvest ability from Dream World (I'm not sure if its been released yet).

Hitmonlee - Reckless Hi-Jump-Kick? Yes please. I've run one of these and it was actually quite effective.

Nidoqueen - Another thing I've run; a great Toxic Spikes user that also absorbs Toxic Spikes. It also has pretty good defensive typing.

Probopass - Level 2 Pain Split can really mess up an opponent that doesn't expect it. However, I suppose this has equal use in all tiers, so I suppose when its written if this set is included it should say that it is still effective in OU.

Qwilfish - Effective Rain sweeper, need I say more?

Weezing - Great counter to Doryuuzu, Roobushin, Lucario, Scizor, Randorosu... Just a great all around utility Pokemon this generation.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Couple that I wanted to address

Pinsir - Probably one of my favourite Stealth Rock Pokemon. Mold Breaker allows it to bypass Magic Mirror from Espeon and Xatu, which is a massive plus. Furthermore, it has all the tools necessary to beat common Taunt users, as it can OHKO Deoxys-s and Erufuun with X-Scissor and Borutorosu with Stone Edge, and also has Quick Attack to stop them with no trouble. This is a pretty huge niche, so I feel Pinsir deserves at least some discussion.

Shibirudon - Perhaps not as effective as one would like, given its low Speed and mediocre defences, but I feel it can be pretty effective even in OU. The Ground-type immunity is a godsend alongside the ability to beat both Burungeru and Nattorei at the same time. Not having any weaknesses is also useful when playing a guessing game. It can be surprisingly bulky and has many applications that are only seen in practice, such as checking non-SD Doryuuzu and the like.

EDIT: And you should probably add in those from the Announcement which were veto'd that you don't have here. These are, I believe, Wargle, Hiyakki, and Roselia, though I would be inclined to disagree with the former.

Pokemon that need to be removed

Hariyama: Amazing tank and supporter. Great natural bulk and good offensive typing allow it to be bulky while still applying offensive pressure. Usefull resistances to Ice and Fire as well makes it the ultimate TTar counter.

Ursaring: In one turn, Ursaring uses Swords Dance. In that same turn, its speed is raised by Quick Feet making it roughly the speed of a Jolly Infernape. It then tears through the opponent with +2, STAB, status boosted Facade (roughly a +2 base 210 power attack) off of its massive 130 attack stat. It can even take a hit or two and is a fantastic late game cleaner.

Poliwrath: Great defensive typing as well as being one of the few pokemon with Overhead Throw. It also has Swift Swim and Belly Drum, making it a terror in the rain.

Pinsir: A great SR user that doesn't need to fear Espeon because of Mold Breaker. It has great bulk and great attack. It beats taunt users with its high attack stat.

Weezing: Great defensive wall, almost a complete stop to pokemon like Doryuuzu and Roobushin. Weezing has several great supporting options like Will-o-Wisp.

Houndoom: Fire Absorber, good priority with Sucker Punch, great mixed attacking stats. What's not to love? Mixdoom still is a threat in OU and can wreak havoc on pokemon like Shanderaa, Espeon, Deoxys-A, and Gengar with Sucker Punch. Decide to switch to a counter? Pursuit.

Altaria: Dragon is a actually great specially defensive typing. Altaria is one of the few pokemon that can still use Roost. It has several phazing options as well as team support with moves like Heal Bell. It also has access to Cotton Guard, which raises its Defense to +3, which few other pokemon can do.

Kangashkan: Kangashkan has Scrappy and a powerful STAB Return, making it extremely hard to wall (its strong Fighting attacks hit Rocks ans Steels hard). It also has access to one of the most exclusive phazing moves (Overhead Throw) which can't be blocked by Ghosts.

Bibarel: Bibarel has Inconsistent and has been released. Nuff said.

Primeape: Primeape is the best Darkrai counter out there due to Vital Spirit, strong STAB moves, and high speed and attack. Primeape has access to other moves like U-Turn, Stone Edge, and Ice Punch, which makes it more versatile and a great scarfed mon.

That's enough for now. You don't have to agree with all of these, but I think a decent amount should be removed from the list.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Another one I saw that really, really shouldn't be on this list is Parasect. Pretty much everyone who's tried SubSeed Parasect in the Rain with Dry Skin has absolutely loved it. Anyone who's faced it absolutely hates it.

Parasect is one of the key members of a RainStall team with its resistances. He's the only pokemon I've ever seen that will always have a net health gain after using Substitute with his SubSeed strategy in the Rain. With his incredible staying power under the Rain, he absolutely has a niche in OU.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Another one I saw that really, really shouldn't be on this list is Parasect. Pretty much everyone who's tried SubSeed Parasect in the Rain with Dry Skin has absolutely loved it. Anyone who's faced it absolutely hates it.

Parasect is one of the key members of a RainStall team with its resistances. He's the only pokemon I've ever seen that will always have a net health gain after using Substitute with his SubSeed strategy in the Rain. With his incredible staying power under the Rain, he absolutely has a niche in OU.
I second this. On rain-stall teams, Parasect can also Spore opponents immune to Toxic Spikes, and with the new sleep mechanics, a sleeping Pokemon is as good as dead.

Heavily advocating Mebukijika being taken off the no-OU analysis list. I don't think it's usage will ever be within OU boundaries, which is why I feel the need to say this, but it is truly one of the best options a Sun team has.

Given Ninetales' promotion to a solid OU with its DW ability, I think at least a few pokemon need OU sets for use in Sun to be on-site, especially seeing as none except Venusaur are close to the 50th in usage mark and as such risk being excluded. Venusaur and Tangrowth will likely both get chlorophyll abuse sets, but in my experience Mebukijika is a chlorophyll poke just as effective in Sun as each of them (albiet in a slightly different role).

Admittedly this may be its only OU set if Herbivore does not cut it (which is understandable) but I think it definitely has a niche that deserves a set on site for OU. Its incredible speed, excellent attack and SD, along with pretty impressive coverage are what makes it OU set worthy, for reference by those having no experience with the deer. Primarily its speed and coverage options distinguish it from its fellow chlorophyllers (excellent secondary STAB too).

EDIT: the Mods asked for some clearer benefits. I'll bulletpoint and provide logs as I save some.

• Speed higher than all other offensive chlorophyll users (base 95) barring Leafeon allowing it to serve as a check to many scarfers other chlorophyll mons cannot outspeed (Latios, Starmie) as well as for threatening boosting sweepers.
  • Access to STAB Double-Edge and Wood Horn as well as many coverage options in Nature Power, Jump Kick, Wild Bolt, Megahorn and possibly a HP. This allows it to fill a niche of dealing with threats other chlorophyll abusers cannot hit with the same power due to their STAB and coverage options being resisted (Lati twins, opposing Grass types, Heatran).
  • SD to boost its already reasonable base 100 Atk, matching the Growth usage of other chlorophyll pokes, as well as being able to heal off Double-Edge, LO and Wild Bolt recoil with Wood Horn.

Alakazam with it's new ability is certainly deserving of an analysis.

Weezing isn't that bad.

Exeggutor is the only solid Breloom counter other than Tropius, and is also pretty good in sun.

I'm very surprised Sableye is on there, since it has no weaknesses and Mischievous heart.

Swellow, Registeel, Hitmonlee, Donphan, Shibirudon, and Gaigaiasu are all not that bad.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Alakazam and Sableye have not officially received their Dream World abilities so please stop using that as justification for their removal from the list.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
holy fuck so many replies

Echoing stellar- Alakazam is even less interesting this gen, and Magic Guard isn't out yet. Same for Sableye.

I'm probably not going to respond to the vast majority to posts here, but I might as well address some that are borderline.

Weezing isn't that good either, and it remains woefully ineffective against Roobushin due to Guts and beefy Paybacks.

Toxicroak is probably one I'm going to take off this list, simply because it tends to shaft Rain teams. Still, it has issues with some main Rain components, especiall Kingdra, and isn't all that amazing against non-Rain, so I'm on the fence about this one.

Parasect is in the same boat, because while Sleep is hilariously useful, its terrible typing and low stats are not. I'd like to hear a little more input here.

Murkrow is a weird case. No leftovers, no way of harming Steel-types, and even after Evolution Stone, it's looking at 324/180/301 defenses, except without Leftovers recovery. It can't reliably heal against Fighting-types, because Priority Roost means that while roosting, it's automatically weak to Fighting. The Perish Trapper seems marginally interesting against teams without strong physical attackers, but the need for it to switch in, THEN Mean Look as the opponent switches in, THEN survive an attack as it Perish Songs (which can cause issues if the attacker has a nasty SE attack), THEN hope to not get CHed, THEN hope the opponent isn't using Roar (taunt variants) or isn't a physical attacker (Featherdance variants), etc... means that it's not super interesting in OU. Sandstorm and stuff doesn't help either.

Poliwrath isn't actually on the list! Read a little closer.

Primeape is horribly outclassed by Kojondo, not strong enough, among other things. Vital Spirit is "interesting", but if Ape catches a Focus Blast, it's going to be out of commission, and it absolutely NEEDS a Scarf to function.

Pinsir has a minor niche because of Mold Breaker Stealth Rock, but still isn't that interesting outside it. Considering that speed has generally been jacked up in OU, and Stealth Rock isn't quite as interesting... not to mention that Espeon isn't exactly the bulkiest thing around, and Team Preview makes it not that hard to predict Espeon coming in on a common SR user.

Tauros gets... what, from Encourage, exactly? The only "usable" moves that benefit are Zen Headbutt (a base 104 attack with mediocre coverage), Body Slam (oh man, 107 base power instead of 102), Iron Head (see Zen Headbutt), Rock Slide (Stone Edge with slightly more accuracy but no increased CH rate), and for this you're giving up... Intimidate? Encourage isn't Tauros' ticket out of mediocrity, unfortunately.

Clefable has approximately infinite options... and it isn't good at any of them in OU with its mediocre stats and typing. It's now a terrible version of Rankurusu, and the addition of new beefy Fighting-types has really, REALLY not helped its case.

Torterra: Sell me on it a little more, please. It's a legit "counter" to Doryuuzu, though it has the same Balloon issues that all Ground-type counters have, and it's still really damn slow, and Doryuuzu is really its only niche.

Shibirudon has an interesting typing and "no weaknesses", but it's damn slow, and 85/80/80 defenses aren't anything special. Its movepool is "okay", but no great, and depending on a recoil move doesn't do much for its longevity. Its ability to "counter Sandstorm teams" is dubious, as it can't use its STAB against them, and while it does get Grass Knot, it also has issues with taking strong hits repeatedly.

Armaldo is only "like Kabutops" in that it has a Rock typing and Swift Swim. Beyond that... nothing. It's stupidly slow, while Kabutops is actually pretty fast. Kabutops also gets Rain-boosted STAB Waterfall, which Armaldo also doesn't get. Nor does it get STAB Rain-boosted Waterfall, etc. It's only vaguely similar to Kabutops, and not good enough to get special treatment.

Sharpedo may get Speed Boost, but it's still absolutely paper, and its coverage isn't that great. It's also got a nasty weakness to Fighting, which makes Roobushin its nenesis, and even at +1, it's not super fast. 120/95 offenses only go so far, really, especially with defenses that are only vaguely better than Deoxys-A.

Lickilicky is actually reasonable- huge HP with Wish, as well as Cloud Nine and a stupid movepool makes it a legit counter to Weather-based teams. I've removed it from the list. I'm also considering the same for Lickitung, as it can use Evolution Stone to bolster its defenses, though it takes a significant cut to its offense in the meantime.

Shiftry with Sun Growth or NP/SD is actually reasonable, and it can make for a stupid strong mixed Sun attacker while not being quite as slow as Tangrowth. I'll remove it from the list.

Typhlosion is a one-trick pony with a pretty mediocre trick. Entry Hazards absolutely destroy its Eruption, and Flash Fire or Fire resistances basically nullify it. Other than that, its offense isn't that great.

THIS IS STILL BEING UPDATED, I MIGHT STILL INCLUDE WHATEVER YOU POSTED ABOUT

THIS IS STILL BEING UPDATED, I MIGHT STILL INCLUDE WHATEVER YOU POSTED ABOUT

I strongly assert Clefable's usefulness in OU. It has such an enormous movepool, and has the stats to back it up. Clefable's biggest asset is being so versatile; it has no true, one-hundred percent, guaranteed counter, and can easily find a spot on ANY team. Until the opponent knows what Clefable's role is, there is no guaranteed way to take it down; one can win simply using the mind-games Clefable can cause if used properly.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Murkrow is a weird case. No leftovers, no way of harming Steel-types, and even after Evolution Stone, it's looking at 324/180/301 defenses, except without Leftovers recovery. It can't reliably heal against Fighting-types, because Priority Roost means that while roosting, it's automatically weak to Fighting. The Perish Trapper seems marginally interesting against teams without strong physical attackers, but the need for it to switch in, THEN Mean Look as the opponent switches in, THEN survive an attack as it Perish Songs (which can cause issues if the attacker has a nasty SE attack), THEN hope to not get CHed, THEN hope the opponent isn't using Roar (taunt variants) or isn't a physical attacker (Featherdance variants), etc... means that it's not super interesting in OU. Sandstorm and stuff doesn't help either.
It actually does survive all of those stuff though. And of course it has a way to hurt Steel-types, since the Perish Trapper can destroy a lot of them.

Seriously...the FeatherDancing ToxiStaller, and even the FeatherDancing Perish Trapper can easily take out stuff like Tyranitar which has super-effective STAB. Murkrow can deal with damn near anything that comes in on the Mean Look and Perish Song it to death. The Special Attackers honestly aren't much of a problem when stuff like Murkrow's BoltBeam weakness is getting Roosted off to stall turns, and a lot of strong special attacks are struggling to 2HKO him. The only problem is that he needs to pick between Taunt and FeatherDance.

I wouldn't normally be so adamant on an issue here, but I really think you guys are making a mistake by putting Murkrow in the pile of craptastic pokemon that shouldn't get an analysis. The niche of best Perish Trapper in the game isn't something that should be taken lightly, and he's no slouch at stalling things out either, especially with Toxic Spikes support. Murkrow's really the kind of pokemon you have to try before bashing it, because I thought it would be shit before I tried it too, but it stayed as a serious member of the team it was on due to getting at least 1 kill a game. Also, his priority Perish Song is absolutely invaluable for taking out the last pokemon. No matter what the last pokemon is, if you send Murkrow out, and the opponent gets Perish Songed, it's game over for them provided your team can survive 3 turns. It's great for completely shutting down lategame sweeps. That's another niche it has.

---

To be honest, as an aside, I have a feeling that this is going to become a big issue with any NFE pokemon trying to get an analysis that isn't named Chansey, Porygon2, or maybe Gligar. A lot of people are going to look at their stats, and think that they absolutely suck based on theorymon, when in fact, they're perfectly capable.

Parasect is in the same boat, because while Sleep is hilariously useful, its terrible typing and low stats are not. I'd like to hear a little more input here.
Really? I'm guessing you've never used it on a Rain team then. Its typing isn't even close to "terrible" on a RainStall team, where it's main use is. It resists damn near everything that a RainStall (or any kind of Rain team) fears, and it's almost impossible to beat one-on-one if it catches an opponent with the SubSeed strategy.

Honestly, I'm really hoping there's more than one person approving/rejecting these, because some of these are being rejected solely on (bad) theorymon. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see why we couldn't just reject these pokemon on a case-by-case basis instead of making a massive list of pokemon that people can't write analyses on. Most of the time the bad sets are written by people who don't know anything about C&C, but most people who do know about C&C aren't going to waste their time making a set they know is "bad". It's going to be really sad if perfectly capable pokemon are barred from analyses for a long while based on random theorymon.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I'm sorry, but I find it pretty absurd that you're flat out rejecting or, in most cases, not even addressing certain Pokemon that you've had absolutely no experience with.

Its sentences like this
Weezing isn't that good either, and it remains woefully ineffective against Roobushin due to Guts and beefy Paybacks.
that make me so cynical about this system.

Certainly players providing logs of a Pokemon's effectiveness is better proof than the blatant theorymon of one or two individuals?

I'd like to argue FOR Weezing being allowed.

Assuming I'm doing this correctly, a Roopushin with max Attack, Guts-boosted Payback that attacks after Weezing moves has a CHANCE to 2HKO as it does approx. 44-52% to max Def. 0 HP Weezing. Also with the Payback nerf, if Weezing switches in, Payback won't do as much and he can happily Pain Split away. (A Weezing with 252 HP and max Def will NOT be 2HKOed by Guts-boosted Payback as it takes 42.5% maximum.)

Weezing helps mucho against Doryuuzu as well; Jolly +2 Life Orb Rock Slide does at most 30% to the same 0 HP max Def Weezing as before. Meanwhile, an unboosted Fire Blast from Weezing will 2HKO Dory.

I think even being able to check Dory effectively should speak for this guy's usefulness, and I've used this guy in battles to great success.

I don't have logs at the moment unfortunately, but I'll be sure to save some when I do return to battling after finals (if it's needed at that point).

If one seriously thinks that a Pokemon needs an OU analysis and that it deserves one, then you should have no problem providing logs proving its effectiveness. As long as a Pokemon is seriously OU viable, it shouldn't be that hard to prove its effectiveness. Seven Deadly Sins obviously doesn't have the time to test EVERY SINGLE ONE of these Pokemon that are being suggested especially since there are so many, so you might as well save him some work to make this process more bearable. Just because one USES a Pokemon in OU sometimes doesn't mean that it is OU viable.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sorry, but I find it pretty absurd that you're flat out rejecting or, in most cases, not even addressing certain Pokemon that you've had absolutely no experience with.

Its sentences like thisthat make me so cynical about this system.

Certainly players providing logs of a Pokemon's effectiveness is better proof than the blatant theorymon of one or two individuals?
If you want to sway me, give me something more than "here's a list of things it does well against" that I'm not fully buying. "Prove it" if you want to sway opinion, rather than just saying "oh man this guy wrote a sentence i don't agree with i'm gettin' cynical". Nothing is final, obviously.

As for Weezing, it has significant issues with Bulk Up Roobushin (the most common one currently), as well as Nasty Plot Lucario. It gets U-turned on by Scizor, making it a fairly shaky counter, and it takes about 70% minimum from a Sand Power-boosted +2 Randorosu Stone Edge. Less notable is the guaranteed 2HKO from +2 Return after Stealth Rock with Sandstorm up which Doryuuzu manages to land, which means a WoW miss gives you a 25% chance to lose to Dory anyway.

I'm still going to need convincing on Weezing, as its lack of recovery is a significant issue for it, especially if you're intending to use it against Sand teams.

Also, something to remind you guys.

Great Sage said:
Do note that this does not mean we are going to be ignoring the work of people who have already written these analyses - once UU begins, feel free to PM a moderator to reopen your analysis. People who have already written about these Pokemon will have first dibs on them.

As for Weezing, it has significant issues with Bulk Up Roobushin (the most common one currently), as well as Nasty Plot Lucario.

So being unable to face off against two Pokemon ruins its chances in OU?

Blissey has the defense of a booger. Gyarados has a heart attack from electricity. Weavile is murdered by Bullet Punch and Mach Punch. These examples are endless. Just because a Pokemon has an obvious weakness or down-side doesn't automatically rule out its effectiveness in OU.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
So being unable to face off against two Pokemon ruins its chances in OU?

Blissey has the defense of a booger. Gyarados has a heart attack from electricity. Weavile is murdered by Bullet Punch and Mach Punch. These examples are endless. Just because a Pokemon has an obvious weakness or down-side doesn't automatically rule out its effectiveness in OU.
Did you miss the part where he claimed Weezing was a counter to those two Pokemon? If I really wanted to go down the last and start naming things that maim Weezing, it'd take a while. So instead, I'll just stick to debunking the things that Delta claims it's effective against.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@Clefable: That's true, but when those downsides are part of its only niche, the pokemon becomes ineffective. Weezing is meant to be a counter to powerful Fighting-types like Roobushin, and yet it fails to beat it. If that's not pointless, I don't know what is.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
First of all, please don't treat rejections by a single QC member as the final say. The intent of this thread was to provide a medium for discussion of controversial Pokemon. SDS's response should not be taken as a finalized decision but rather a starting point for discussion of such Pokemon. Granted, there are likely going to be cases where we will end up making final judgment calls; rest assured, however, that these will not occur without adequate discussion.

In response to the suggestion that we let people write about every Pokemon: the issue is, not all Pokemon have OU niches. Some people may disagree - this is a slightly subjective notion, after all. Ultimately, though, from a competitive standpoint, this statement holds true - and Smogon is a competitive Pokemon website.

That being said, I personally would not like to be told that I could write an analysis for a certain Pokemon under the assumption that it would eventually end up on-site and then, a few months later, be told that my analysis could not be used because the Pokemon in question was not viable in OU play. Quality Control exists to avoid these situations.

I hope this clarifies why we set this system up in the first place, and I hope you'll trust us not to just reject Pokemon on a whim and without solid reasoning.

Anyway, I'll comment on two Pokemon:

Altaria - is nearly completely outclassed by Dragonite. Cotton Guard is an interesting niche, but it doesn't really help against most of Altaria's hard counters, not to mention Dragonite has Miracle Scale to rival that.

Shibirudon - is something I would look into. It has Flamethrower to beat the ubiquitous Nattorei and access to Snake Coil. I've faced it on occasion and been surprised by it, albeit not to the point where it swept or anything. The main issue with this Pokemon is probably its unimpressive set of resistances; granted, however, it walls the ever-present Gliscor after Toxic Orb is Flung.

To me, the simple solution isn't to sit here and argue why each pokemon deserves an analysis. I think we should just write up all of the pokemon, and then when UU and NU tiers are developed, we should simply update many of the pokemon who are placed accordingly."
If you really need to write up an analysis for something like Clefable or Weezing, write it up on your computer and save the file. Maybe post it in a relevant thread in UT. Why do you have this unstoppable compulsion to write analyses?

But I hope you realize that these write-ups aren't just for fun, and it would be far more beneficial to the community if you focused on relevant analyses rather than wasting your own time, as well as the Mod's/QC's/etc on an analysis that is clearly irrelevant in the only currently active metagame (ignoring Ubers, LC, and DW for obvious reasons). Remember that they probably put as much, or more, time into each analysis than the respective writer does. So it's not just the writer's time and effort being wasted (and it is wasted on crap like Clefable), but also the community's and the Mods/QCs/etc.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
oh my god paradox you are my favorite person

Yes, the writer is not the only person that spends time on an analysis. Many hours go into these analyses from QC, the mods, grammar checkers, people lending advice, etc. We've got a hell of a lot of work to chew through preparing the OU analyses, and spending an overly long amount of time working on analyses for Pokemon that aren't fit for the tier doesn't make much sense when the analyses are going to have to be largely rewritten anyway once "UU" comes into existence.

Delta 2777

Machampion
Ok, since you requested, I'll give you a thorough list of Pokemon that Weezing does well against. I'll be using the following weezing set:

Weezing @ Leftovers
252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
Bold Nature
-Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog
-Flamethrower
-Rest / Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp

Nattorei - Flamethrower does massive damage to it. Forced out.

Tyranitar - Weezing beats all Tyranitar, with the exceptions of faster CB Tyranitar and CurseTar.

Scizor - Takes Scizor's U-Turn like a champ, can even take a +2 Bullet Punch and KO back.

Doryuuzu - Takes ~30% from a +2 Rock Slide and either burns it or 2HKOs.

Garchomp - A tad riskier, but Weezing can still take a +2 Dragon Claw, burn it, and heal off the damage. Sand Veil misses are gay, but that's a price to pay.

Roobushin - If Weezing is running Clear Smog, it wins. If not, (assuming everything goes perfectly for Roobushin) and Weezing switches in on the Bulk Up, Roobushin will come out on top with very little health to spare. Still one of the best checks around.

So Weezing comes out on top against 4 of the top 5 Pokemon, and 6 of the top 10. It also makes a good initial switchin to Blaziken (only loses to SD LO FlareBlitz variants), Skarmory, Metagross, Breloom, Forretress, Lucario (beats all variants...), Machamp, Randorosu (beats all variants...), Terakion, and well I could go on, but that's a significant amount of threats that it can check or force out. I'm sure you can name me an equal amount of things that can 'beat' Weezing, but being able to compete toe to toe with some of the biggest threats of the metagame is certainly enough of a reason for a niche in my eyes.

This is excellent. You've proven something "UU" can compete viably, and that's what we all should be given a chance to do.

(As long as it's not something ridiculously useless, like Luvdisc or Beedrill.)
This post shows the entire basis on this argument. Just because something was "UU" last gen doesn't mean that it is necessarily UU this gen. That isn't what SDS is trying to implement. The tiers are not based on stats. They are based on how a Pokemon fairs in the current metagame and how much it is used based on that. Delta didn't necessarily prove that something "UU" could work in OU. He just showed that Weezing is much better this gen than it was last gen. YOU AREN'T BEING BLOCKED FROM PROVING THAT CONTROVERSIAL POKEMON ARE ACTUALLY USABLE IN OU. The problem here is that people think that short statements such as, "Hey, Clefable shouldn't be completely shunned. It's actually pretty cool," are actually a good grounds to make them OU viable. If you really feel that strongly that Clefable is OU worty, it shouldn't be that hard to prove it; if it is that hard to prove it, then Clefable is obviously not OU viable.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
Ok, since you requested, I'll give you a thorough list of Pokemon that Weezing does well against. I'll be using the following weezing set:

Weezing @ Leftovers
252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
Bold Nature
-Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog
-Flamethrower
-Rest / Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp

Nattorei - Flamethrower does massive damage to it. Forced out.

Tyranitar - Weezing beats all Tyranitar, with the exceptions of faster CB Tyranitar and CurseTar.

Scizor - Takes Scizor's U-Turn like a champ, can even take a +2 Bullet Punch and KO back.

Doryuuzu - Takes ~30% from a +2 Rock Slide and either burns it or 2HKOs.

Garchomp - A tad riskier, but Weezing can still take a +2 Dragon Claw, burn it, and heal off the damage. Sand Veil misses are gay, but that's a price to pay.

Roobushin - If Weezing is running Clear Smog, it wins. If not, (assuming everything goes perfectly for Roobushin) and Weezing switches in on the Bulk Up, Roobushin will come out on top with very little health to spare. Still one of the best checks around.

So Weezing comes out on top against 4 of the top 5 Pokemon, and 6 of the top 10. It also makes a good initial switchin to Blaziken (only loses to SD LO FlareBlitz variants), Skarmory, Metagross, Breloom, Forretress, Lucario (beats all variants...), Machamp, Randorosu (beats all variants...), Terakion, and well I could go on, but that's a significant amount of threats that it can check or force out. I'm sure you can name me an equal amount of things that can 'beat' Weezing, but being able to compete toe to toe with some of the biggest threats of the metagame is certainly enough of a reason for a niche in my eyes.
Burned Roobushin 3HKOs cleanly with Payback regardless of item, Clear Smog just makes Bulk Up less notable.

Nattorei is hardly difficult to threaten and force out, as are Forretress, Skarmory, etc...

Scizor is about more than "being able to switch into it", because whatever comes in is going to be met with a brand spankin' new counter courtesy of U-turn.

I could continue, but I take issue with the claim of "coming out on top" when it gets wrecked by a lot of extremely threatening top Pokemon. +2 LO Landlos comes damn close to OHKOing it with Stone Edge (max damage succeeds), and as a result also has a chance to 2HKO with Stone Edge without a boost. +2 Jolly LO Terakion is guaranteed to OHKO after Stealth Rock with Stone Edge, and as a result Terakion also 2HKOs with an unboosted Stone Edge. Metagross has even more reasons to run Zen Headbutt now that Explosion sucks ass. This Weezing also can't really... do anything to Blaziken.

I consider statements of Weezing's defensive prowess here to be significantly overstated, and when you consider actual calculations, Weezing isn't very impressive. On top of that, Rest without Sleep Talk is disappointing, especially with new sleep mechanics, so sleeping Weezing might as well be dead Weezing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)