What aren't we writing about? (Pokemon unfit for OU Analyses)

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon that would be viable with their DW abilities, but whose DW abilities are not released, will not get analyses until their DW abilities are released.

Introduction:

UU has not been formed yet; however, there are Pokemon who are obviously not as good as others in the Standard tier. It would be impractical to ask people to write analyses for these Pokemon when it's likely that they are destined for the lower tiers: we'd end up having to write new analyses for these Pokemon, and the work of the people who wrote and contributed to their OU analyses would just go to waste.

Therefore, we are going to be closing all analyses of these Pokemon, moving them to the Locked and Outdated Subforum (only for lack of any better forum), and barring any further write-ups pertaining to them. It is up to the Quality Control team to decide which Pokemon deserve OU write-ups; rest assured, however, we will compile and post a list as quickly as possible.

Do note that this does not mean we are going to be ignoring the work of people who have already written these analyses - once UU begins, feel free to PM a moderator to reopen your analysis. People who have already written about these Pokemon will have first dibs on them.

Relevant Lists:

These lists are tentative and are subject to change. If you have an issue with these lists and can present your case logically, post it here and we'll look it over.

Code:
Absol
Alakazam
Altaria
Ambipom
Ampharos
Arbok
Ariados
Armaldo
Articuno
Banette
Bastiodon
Beautifly
Beedrill
Bellossom
Bibarel
Blastoise
Butterfree
Cacturne
Camerupt
Carnivine
Castform
Chatot
Cherrim
Chimecho
Clamperl
Claydol
Clefable
Corsola
Crawdaunt
Delcatty
Delibird
Dewgong
Ditto
Dodrio
Drifblim
Dunsparce
Dustox
Electabuzz
Electrode
Entei
Exeggutor
Exploud
Farfetchd
Fearow
Flareon
Floatzel
Furret
Girafarig
Glaceon
Glalie
Golduck
Golem
Granbull
Grumpig
Hariyama
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Huntail
Hypno
Illumise
Jynx
Kangaskhan
Kecleon
Kingler
Kricketune
Lanturn
Ledian
Lickilicky
Linoone
Lopunny
Lumineon
Lunatone
Luvdisc
Luxray
Machoke
Magcargo
Magmortar
Magneton
Manectric
Mantine
Marowak
Masquerain
Mawile
Medicham
Meganium
Mesprit
Mightyena
Miltank
Minun
Mismagius
Monferno
Mothim
Mr. Mime
Muk
Murkrow
Noctowl
Octillery
Pachirisu
Pelipper
Persian
Phione
Pidgeot
Pikachu
Piloswine
Pinsir
Plusle
Poliwrath
Porygon-Z
Primeape
Probopass
Purugly
Qwilfish
Raichu
Rampardos
Rapidash
Raticate
Regice
Regigigas
Regirock
Registeel
Relicanth
Rotom
Rotom-S
Sableye
Sandslash
Scyther
Seaking
Seviper
Shedinja
Shuckle
Skuntank
Slaking
Sneasel
Solrock
Spinda
Stantler
Steelix
Sudowoodo
Sunflora
Swalot
Swellow
Tauros
Torkoal
Torterra
Trapinch
Tropius
Typhlosion
Umbreon
Unown
Ursaring
Vespiquen
Victreebel
Vileplume
Volbeat
Wailord
Walrein
Weezing
Whiscash
Wigglytuff
Wormadam
Wormadam-g
Wormadam-s
Zangoose
Of course, there are also some Gen 5 Pokemon that are going to be passed over here. While this isn't comprehensive, it's also not final- We'll take arguments for not prohibiting a Pokemon if it indeed has a notable niche.

Code:
Serperior
Emboar
Samurott
Watchog
Liepard
Simisage
Simisear
Musharna
Unfezant
Zebstrika
Gigalith
Swoobat
Audino
Seismitoad
Sawk
Leavanny
Basculin
Maractus
Garbodor
Cinciino
Gothitelle
Swanna
Vanilluxe
Emolga
Beheeyem
Beartic
Cryogonal
Stunfisk
Druddigon
Heatmor
We're also shying away from writing analyses for NFEs, unless they're either especially interesting or especially good at using Evolution Stone. In any case... "have at ye".

Couple suggestions here.

I think Charizard should be allowed, Solar Power is pretty huge especially with Drought Ninetales.

While Shedinja is sort of odd, it can put a total stop to certain Pokemon. It deserves an analysis.

Venasaur is on the 'no analysis' list.

Sturdy Probobass is pretty cool. Perhaps an analysis there?

Lastly, suggesting Shuckle. It got a few neat tools this Gen such as Perversity and Power Share, making it harder to break than ever.

Also, once Perversity Jaroda is released it needs an a analysis.

The only problem I have with this list is the inclusion of Golduck since it does have the much coveted Cloud Nine which allows it to reliably outspeed and KO many Weather-based threats i.e. Kingdra, Doryuuzu, etc.

EDIT: ALSO: Moltres is amazing this gen with Rapid Spin support and definitely deserves an analysis.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Couple suggestions here.

I think Charizard should be allowed, Solar Power is pretty huge especially with Drought Ninetales. Whoops, missed that one. Okay.

While Shedinja is sort of odd, it can put a total stop to certain Pokemon. It deserves an analysis. I'll talk it over with people.

Venasaur is on the 'no analysis' list. Oops, fixing.

Sturdy Probobass is pretty cool. Perhaps an analysis there? No thanks, Probopass still has the issue of nonexistent offenses, no speed, and a terrible typing. Besides, giving up Magnet Pull? Psh.

Lastly, suggesting Shuckle. It got a few neat tools this Gen such as Perversity and Power Share, making it harder to break than ever. Perversity does nothing for it, as it has no stat lowering moves for itself and you don't need to lower its stats to kill it, and power share is meh anyway.

Also, once Perversity Jaroda is released it needs an a analysis. Well duh. But that's still a ways off, and I'm not sure how we're handling shitty Pokemon that become amazing through Dream World yet.

The only problem I have with this list is the inclusion of Golduck since it does have the much coveted Cloud Nine which allows it to reliably outspeed and KO many Weather-based threats i.e. Kingdra, Doryuuzu, etc. Golduck isn't really strong enough to actually reliably KO weather-based threats, especially rain ones (have you seen how bulky Kingdra is?), and it's slow enough that it needs Choice Scarf to do it, since it's slower than Doryuuzu and ties with Kingdra (among other things). Besides, it can't really switch into any weather shenanigans, or if it can, it can't do so for long.

EDIT: ALSO: Moltres is amazing this gen with Rapid Spin support and definitely deserves an analysis. Sure, and now that Stealth Rock isn't quite as ubiquitous, it's got more chances to not suck. Removing.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Venomoth and Masquerain both have Butterfly Dance + Baton Pass, and Venomoth also has Sleep Powder (And Stun Spore, and TSpikes, and can't be frozen by Ibeam thanks to Shield Dust...) The Venomoth + Nidoking combination has been all the rage in the UT threads.

I surmise Huntail is on the list because Gorebyss is the generally superior Shell Break passer?

So basically I'm saying Venomoth and Huntail should be taken off the list. Masquerain's typing is infinitely worse, it's much slower,and it only has Stun Spore to incapacitate.

EDIT: Also Gastrodon's Storm Drain is like a beefed up Water Absorb now. For all intents and purposes it's Swampert - SR + Water Immunity & Recover.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
Venomoth and Masquerain both have Butterfly Dance + Baton Pass, and Venomoth also has Sleep Powder (And Stun Spore, and TSpikes, and can't be frozen by Ibeam thanks to Shield Dust...) The Venomoth + Nidoking combination has been all the rage in the UT threads. Damn, didn't know that.

I surmise Huntail is on the list because Gorebyss is the generally superior Shell Break passer? Actually, Gorebyss was taken off for being the better sweeper, especially with Drizzle. Forgot about breakpassing, actually, though Gorebyss is better at that too.

So basically I'm saying Venomoth and Huntail should be taken off the list. Masquerain's typing is infinitely worse, it's much slower,and it only has Stun Spore to incapacitate. Venomoth yes, Huntail no.

EDIT: Also Gastrodon's Storm Drain is like a beefed up Water Absorb now. For all intents and purposes it's Swampert - SR + Recover. Can't believe I forgot the Storm Drain buff. Gastrodon removed.

I'm agreeing with smashlloyd20 on the subject of Probopass: a Sturdy Level 2 Pain Splitter has every chance of making OU. A niche set, certainly, but an effective set nonetheless.

As for Shuckle, I'm positive Power Share has boosted its potential, though if its enough to get into OU I'm not sure. Certainly viable, but whether it's viable enough is up to you. I may be a tad biased, having wrote the analysis, but I still think it is OU-viable.

Why are you hating on Luxray? I've already written an analysis on it, so much of what I have to say about it is said there.

Would like to point out, though, that Lux gets Guts through DW, and it's been released, so it's legit.

Typhlosion deserves to be considered. Scarf Eruption is deadly in all cases, and even better with Sun out - Ninetales helps that. Once its DW ability, Flash Fire, is released, it can be even more deadly when it comes in on a Fire attack/with Rapid Spin support. If not now, definitely move it over when DW is released.

Imagine Eruption at full health + Flash Fire boost + Sun.

Tauros should be allowed; it has Encourage, good Speed to utilise it effectively, Intimidate, Pursuit, Cheer Up and an excellent movepool(even though it cannot utilise it that efffectively). I have also written an analysis about it, and I feel it is not so bad as to deserve getting the boot from Standard.

Typhlosion deserves to be considered. Scarf Eruption is deadly in all cases, and even better with Sun out - Ninetales helps that. Once its DW ability, Flash Fire, is released, it can be even more deadly when it comes in on a Fire attack/with Rapid Spin support. If not now, definitely move it over when DW is released.

Imagine Eruption at full health + Flash Fire boost + Sun.
This is essentially Typhlosion's only trick. Aside from the issues of having to run 2 pure fire-types in the same team, Charizard can do this better. It has a ground immunity, can produce consistent damage output regardless of its HP percentage, and has what is essentially a permanent Flash Fire for all of its moves under the sun (where both are being used).

Typhlosion isn't all that great.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Banette is a great pokémon to set up Trick Room as a lead. A few other pokémon can do it so early. The only other pokémon that can use Trick Room, Magic Coat and Destiny Bond are Gardevoir and Gallade, that has other things to do.

And Shiftry is a beast on sun, capable of using Growth, Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, and can reach to a marvelous 518 Spe in sun (neutral nature, with a boodting nature his Spe is at 568. I used this thing in the sun, and he's very valuable.

Ditto with Eccentric, no analysis? It could pretty much be banned, as it copies stat changes as well. If it's scarfed, it outspeeds every Pokemon it copies. It's the best set-up counter in the game.

Glalie who gets Inconsistent not on the list? If this doesn't get banned, it could pretty much be the Octillery with better coverage. The same goes for Bibarel.

Sharpedo with Speed Boost. It can potentially be Ninjask on steroids, lacking the x4 SR weak and pretty good coverage. Could be the fastest Glass Cannon, as well as a perfect check for priority with Protect.

Armaldo with Swift Swim. IMO pretty similar to Kabutops, so either Kabutops doesn't get an analysis or Armaldo does.

Toxicroak is a very reliable Rain team counter, it can kick ass in OU with a Water immunity as well as recovery in Rain. It also get +2 Set-up moves as well as priority and can utilize SubPunch sets with STAB, so I think he doesn't belong on the list as well.

Clefable still has Magic Guard, which makes it a very good status absorber. It can still function as well as it did previous gen.

Lickilicky gets Cloud Nine now. It has reasonable bulk as well as access to Curse. It has the potential to counter weather teams pretty good IMO.

These are the Mons I think shouldn't be on that list.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dream World Ditto hasn't yet been released, and neither has Dream World Glalie. Sharpedo doesn't get Baton Pass, and is incredibly frail, so while it could warrant an analysis, it's definitely not one of the highest priority pokemon. Kabutops gets to use Rain-boosted Water STAB, while Armaldo gets X-Scissor. It could be useful against grass types, but it's not really worth an analysis. Clefable was UU last gen, and if it functions about as well as last gen, then it's not really good enough to warrant an OU analysis, especially considering the heightened power level of this generation when compared with 4th Gen. Lickilicky gets Cloud Nine, but it's still kind of useless against weather due to its low speed.

Toxicroak is the only pokemon you mentioned that should get an analysis in OU.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I really think you should let Probopass get an analysis. With Sandstorm and Toxic Spikes support, the lvl 2 Pain Splitter set is quite good. Basically, the only thing that can beat it 1 on 1 is a steel type. (Magnezone support) everything else can fall to Pain Split spamming. It even gets Magic Coat to prevent Taunt.

Far better than the likes of Solar Power of Charizard (who is still mediocre even with the ability.) In fact, Probopass can put your opponent in Checkmate late game.
Can you consider it? I do agree with the rest of the list however.

Clefable still has Magic Guard, which makes it a very good status absorber. It can still function as well as it did previous gen.

Since I'm writing the Clefable analysis, I couldn't agree more. Clefable keeps Magic Guard, and remains a great user of the ability. She also got a few neat toys in the 5th Generation, like Cheer Up, that can increase her viability in OU.

As long as one doesn't try to use her like Blissey, she has competitive viability.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Whoever made this list has definitely not ever used Murkrow. It has easily the best movepool for Mischievous Heart of all of the users. In addition, it has the best defenses thanks to Evolution Stone, as well as priority recovery, which is something that only Sableye (who isn't released yet) can boast. However, unlike Sableye, Murkrow can actually kill things quite easily and support his team with more impact.

Also take into account that he's hands down the best Perish Trapper in the game thanks to priority and good defenses. Priority Haze and Perish Song are also quite valuable thanks to Inconsistent users. FeatherDance lets him wreck a lot of physical attackers, especially if they're vulnerable to Toxic from the ToxiStalling set. I've seriously stalled out crap like Garchomp with this and come out with over half my health. If you can fit it onto a set, priority Taunt makes him no longer fear any sort of opposing Taunts or phazes, which is really important for a pokemon who uses no attacking moves. I have a feeling that people are still just looking at his stats and saying that he sucks, not taking into account Evolution Stone and the fact that he runs no attacking moves so can therefore invest everything into defenses.

All in all, Murkrow absolutely deserves an OU analysis. While it probably won't be OU, it's definitely capable there.

I believe Jarooda would be too strong for the lower tiers with Perversity. Not only are its Leaf Storms incredibly powerful after the boosts, many of the Pokemon who give it trouble are the most used themselves (from what I've seen at least).

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Whoever made this list has definitely not ever used Murkrow. It has easily the best movepool for Mischievous Heart of all of the users. In addition, it has the best defenses thanks to Evolution Stone, as well as priority recovery, which is something that only Sableye (who isn't released yet) can boast. However, unlike Sableye, Murkrow can actually kill things quite easily and support his team with more impact.

Also take into account that he's hands down the best Perish Trapper in the game thanks to priority and good defenses. Priority Haze and Perish Song are also quite valuable thanks to Inconsistent users. FeatherDance lets him wreck a lot of physical attackers, especially if they're vulnerable to Toxic from the ToxiStalling set. I've seriously stalled out crap like Garchomp with this and come out with over half my health. If you can fit it onto a set, priority Taunt makes him no longer fear any sort of opposing Taunts or phazes, which is really important for a pokemon who uses no attacking moves. I have a feeling that people are still just looking at his stats and saying that he sucks, not taking into account Evolution Stone and the fact that he runs no attacking moves so can therefore invest everything into defenses.

All in all, Murkrow absolutely deserves an OU analysis. While it probably won't be OU, it's definitely capable there.
Have to agree with Bologo. I used the Perish Trapper set I've found in Murkrow's analysis, and is very good. Mischevious Heart Murkrow had already been released, and it can wreak havoc if the opposite team isn't prepared.

Aside Shiftry (who I have already explained), I don't believe that Claydol should in this list. If Doryuuzu forgets to use X-Scissor or Shadow Claw, Claydol can come in and kill with an Earth Power or EQ (if Dory is with Balloon, Claydol can pop it with Ice Beam or Stone Edge). Claydol also counters Terakion if the latter doesn't have X-Scissor. Add that Claydol is one of only two pokémon that can use Rapid Spin that is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes (the other is Delibird) and resists Stealth Rock, Claydol is such a good pokémon to use.

I think it's obvious that many people are very excited about writing about a lot of the Pokemon on this list. There are definitely some great options there.

Perhaps an UU thread should be opened up soon, to allow people to write about whoever they like that ends up banned from OU according to this list.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Calling for Torterra and Shibirudon to be taken off. Torterra is a pretty good counter for Doryuuzu without X-Scissor (why people use it over Return idk Bronzong???). Shibirudon is nice and bulky and counters Sand teams fairly well if you can get rid of Tyranitar which is not that hard.

Agreeing about Murkrow. I've used the Perish Trapper set and the sheer number of things it can stall out caught me by surprise. With decent playing you can remove even heavily offensive shit like Doryuuzu and Garchomp. It's definitely been a key member of a few of my teams. And it always has some utility due to priority Perish Song. Can't comment on other sets, but seriously, this thing is impressive.

I had been writing about Fearow, and now because of this... Has it been a waste of time, or will I be able to do its analysis when a UU thread is opened?

I agree with whoever already said murkrow and toxicroak and I think nidoqueen and weezing should also be taken off. Nidoqueen was already usable last gen due to its ability to set and absorb toxic spikes while having some great, unique resistances and it got a big boost this gen with encourage. Weezing is a very good counter to many physical attackers, most notably doryuuzu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)