General What brought you to Smogon?

A friend of mine introduced me to this site. He is a competitive player as well and have been giving me a lot of pointers and help.

I've known about Smogon for a while and have lurked a bit the past year or so. I only decided to dive in when i realized I wanted to get back into online competitive battling. I've been doing in-game battling since the introduction of Gen VI but I've started to miss going on PO. I've been on serebii for a while but I decided its a good idea to expand my experience and understanding by going on smogon as well. I plan to be here for a while and hopefully I can be an active member here

I just got in to the competitive scene back in January of this year as a matter of fact, and I had heard of Smogon before, so i decided, what the heck, and I joined. I hopefully will learn much in my time here, And as soon as my Internet stops sucking, I'll try PS

Back in Black and White era I wanted to take a stab at playign competive , i googled something like _____ moves for w.e poke, and bam Smogon strategy dex, i would comb through those and the anaylsis'(this word may be mispelled) were very enlightening reads... though I never stuck to actually getting into competitve X and Y rolled around and these forums were my intial resource into dipping my feet into the pool and from there i gained a competive drive and have finally reached a point where i can say I play competive mosn compitently (still have ways to go to get better) Smogon and these forums were a great driving force!

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Funny thing, heh. I discovered Smogon through Showdown, but not in the way you might think. I didn't understand that bans were by IP, and that not using an alt account on a public IP resulted in my getting banned without doing anything wrong. This happened, what, thrice? I decided to make a Discipline Appeal, and users Temporaryanonymous, Vacate, and Blitzamirin helped me understand the whole system. I learned from that, but forgot about this account for a few months. Then one day, I decided to see if and how I could get involved with the community, thanks to the (now removed) Community Mentoring room, and rediscovered this account. I asked user Dillon~ how to get involved with the New Users Introduction thread, he offered help, and the rest is history! n_n

I found Smogon in HGSS and used it for move resources and I pokégenned for my friends and built teams in BW but what attracted me to the community was the Battling 101 program.

When I was bored on Black 2 I wanted to see what movesets I could use to make the pokemon I had the best they could be. I've been using Smogon ever since for that kind of stuff, but only recently wanted to get into competitive battling. I want to improve what little competitive battling skills I have right now and maybe dabble in some NU and UU.

I was thinking of a challenge I could do on my Pokemon X play through and thought, what if all the pokemon were of the same type? After I bit of searching on the internet, I came across the Monotype community in the Other Metagames section on Smogon and ended up staying.

I got to know Smogon through the Shady Penguinn and his wifi battles. Me and my brother then used some time on figuring out what Showdown was, and about half a year after that I decided that I wanted to join the forums. Nowadays I don't really play singles that much (VGC ftw), but I kind of want to get back into UU, since I think it's an awesome tier.

Hello there !
I created my account on the forum to write my first Rate My Team today ;)
Though I was introduced to Smogon when people told me about competitive play, it was back in Black and White. I already some words like Uber and everything back in Diamond and Pearl but I didn't understand back in the times.

I came here with my desire to learn the inner workings of Pokemon games in general (RNG Abuse, EV/IV, Breeding). I want to make the most of my experience playing this game that I love. Although, it has been years since I last came here. I came back because I want to see if I still have the desire to learn these systems. Haha. :)

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I first stumbled upon Smogon when searching for in-game stuff for Gen 3. On Smogon, I first heard about PS! and I started first playing OU. Only actually joined Smogon because I thought the RMT section was interesting since I liked building teams and tinkering with them (tho I lost my drive on that since I left OU for Doubles rip)

One of my good friends brought me to Smogon. I told him I wanted to somehow contribute to the Pokemon community and he suggested that I signup on Smogon and get known n_n

I discovered Smogon thanks to multiple YouTube channels like tamashiihiroka and TheNationalDex to name a few. I really would like to get into competitive battling in tiers like OU and Little Cup. Also the Breeding and trading seem like its well thought out here. Anyway If theres anyone who would like to help out a newbie let me know.

Beyond Diamond and a brief skit with Soul Silver, I never played Pokemon much. However, I was still very much into video games. While I did various things on youtube, I eventually happened across a few Pokemon references and became interested. I watched a view videos by popular Pokemon Youtubers, particularly JWittz and dookieshed. Eventually I decided to find out what "OU" and "Smogon" were (I was understandably confused) and realized some of the deeper strategy behind Pokemon. It was unfortunate, admittedly, when I saw Mawile, my favorite Pokemon, was in a relatively low rank, but then megas came around sooooo.
That said, I never actually started playing competitively until recently, inspired by TheNationalDex, who taught me a lot about the strategic ins and outs. As well as the lingo because that was SO confusing.

I migrated to Smogon from PS! A friend of mine introduced me to PS! And as I decided to learn more and more about competitive battling I realized all the information was coming from Smogon. I've also heard a lot of good things about Smogon on PS! And so I decided to join Smogon. I joined and was pretty lost, so I got a mentor and was introduced to some IRC Channels. From there I mainly stuck to RMT an anything else OU related.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)