General What brought you to Smogon?

A long time ago, wayyyyy back in Gen 4 I wanted to own everybody in Pokemon. I knew there had to be some list of strategies or something to use. At first it was serebii then I think through a google search I found Smogon. Life has never been the same since that day.

Back in Gen 5 where i started to really into competitive battling, I needed some general strategy guidelines for the pokemon i was going to use in my first team, which i posted here on the RMT forum. I also found the Battle 101 Program that got me really into the community.

I've been battling competitively since June 4th 2008 but stopped June 24th 2011 and am just now getting back into the scene, I decided to make an account because I'm rusty and want to learn the new ropes.

haha i'd love to know the light in which they bring up Smogon.
I'll put it this way, it isn't a positive one. Essentially, VP believes Smogon is the reason competitive battling is crap because of banning of broken/OP sets/pokemon in certain tiers. It's an ickle bit silly really, I'd love to see them do a better job,

VP has some decent threads, you just gotta bypass the crap heh.

Really, PS brought me to Smogon. I wanted to get familiar with everything and eventually just decided to get into the forums. I mainly used it for analyses for ORAS.

Somebody once asked me if I got my set off of Smogon after a battle IRL back in 2011 or something.
That piqued my curiosity about the site, me being a pretty avid battler and all back in those days, so I visited Smogon and eventually started browsing it more regularly.

When I discovered showdown, I decided to finally make an account.

Was slowly wanting to become more involved in competitive Pokemon, and I had begun watching people play Pokemon competitively on youtube (late DPP). A guy named Haydunn had a video on Smogon, so I checked the website out.

Signed up after I had been reading warstories a bunch and I wanted to be a part of the community
Still a little sad that people stopped making those

Hey!

Well, I had known about Smogon for quite awhile, and used the Dex to aid me in teambuilding. However, I never actually took the next step in joining the forums and community, although I had been battling competitively for quite some time. I do believe I'll be here for a long time, as I'm already taking a good look at and wanting to participate in some of the OU/Monotype competitive discussion. Overall, I came for a love of Pokemon, and stayed for the community :D

If I recall correctly, I first registered on the Smogon forums due to Pokémon Showdown, and finding the forums through one of the chatrooms on PS!. Wish I could elaborate more, but unfortunately I can't recall how I stumbled across Pokémon Showdown in the first place.

Well, I were registered to an italian forum, and these people kept saying that smogon sucks, then I googled it just to see what was the problem, and instead I found an awesome forum with awesome people. Here I am.

At first I joined Smogon because whenever I Googled a Pokémon or anything Pokémon-related, their page was always one of the first results (along with Serebii). I just made an account, lurked a bit and left. About a year later, I returned to give the forums a second look, and that's when I found the wifi community. I set up shop and that was most of my activity here on Smogon for a time. Recently, I've taken to look at other forums (my view of life was very limited, but if college taught me anything, it was that the most interesting things are always found outside your comfort zone), and I love to discuss stuff like my in-game experiences with ORAS.

I guess there's something for everyone here, and I had no idea until recently. Thank Arceus I have no Smartphone, because if I would, I'd be popping in here all day long.

EDIT: Oh, and I always wanted to do a RMT or contribute to the CAP project, but both were something completely different than what I thought they were ._.

OU. I have a buddy that is really good at battling and he pointed me to Smogons OU forums to read. I lurk daily because I don't feel I can contribute anything meaningful but noise and nobody needs that. It was a leap from Gen 1 to Gen 6 but after spending time reading I think I'm getting a handle on things.

OK, my turn. So I used to run stupid shit like Special Banette back when I was like 12 and had DPP. When XY came out, I wanted to get a bit more competent, so I joined Smogon after reading the strategy dex a bunch. I got interested in contributing, and I finally wrote a bunch of analyses for the strategy dex.

Fast forward about 5 months, and now I'm badged and a regular user on the site. :D

what got me here was i've played pokemon since gen one very casually but during this gen i started to want to get competitive with the battles but i had no idea of what ivs and evs where and through a few friends irl and some youtube creators i found myself here i look forward to bieng an active person here.

Its was another site like the one I was on, but this site only seem to focus on pkmn. The site was friendcodes.com whichis no longer around.... at least not under that name anyways. But I used this site to help better my pkmn movesets so I made a account and never used it until now that is.

Once Netbattle died off between my friends, I took a long hiatus from Pokemon. Then Gen 4 happened, and I started getting more into it. I discovered Smogon simply by searching for a simulator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)