What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

The Psychic-type beeing so good; cool moves like Luster Purge can't be used because they have no coverage...I hope next generation will "solve" this be introducting many new Fighting-types...

I also miss Psywave beeing a TM, and Psychic actually usable on Gengar...

Everyone liking Pokemon.
Not knowing so much about game mechanics.
Mew under the truck. Rumors of PokeGods. Pikablu and Togepi being speculated about.
Charizard and Mewtwo making you the cool badass kid.
Sprites being good looking.

It's just not the same anymore. ;-;

Many things, but as I don't have much time I'll keep it brief:

1. Everyone liking Pokemon. Like, I mean everybody. Now, I have to come onto Smogon just to find someone to play with :( (but it is a great thing in a way because this is how I found the site!)

2. The overall feel. I haven't had an experience with a Pokemon game since Red, Blue and Yellow that has made me feel the same way I did. It has a lot to do with nostalgia, but mostly because of the feelings of discovery and curiousity that they have failed to instill in later generations. I'm not really sure how they could fix this, maybe its partly my fault for trying to find out everything about the game before it comes out. What they can fix though, is the design of the pokemon. I think no generation compares to the first in terms of pokemon design. I think to make the next generation really memorable, they have to draw back on the art from the days of red and blue. I think this starts with the starter pokemon-- no starters in generation 2, 3, or 4 could hold a candle to Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle (Generation 4 was on the right track, until they evolved them). I loved Generation 4 (don't get me wrong! Generation 3 was my least favorite), so I think they are on the right track for Generation 5 and have a shot of returning the memorable aspects.

Having everybody everywhere play the game so you always had something to talk about.
and how I would laugh when they reused battle cries.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I also miss calling Blue "Jackass" He was truly worthy of the title back then. The other rivals don't deserve it IMO.
Haha, I agree with this. I remember the first time you go to pokemon tower in Lavender town and you have to face your rival in there. I remember him saying "Why are you here? Are your pokemon dead? Oh, they're alive? Well, I can at least make them faint!" No other rival is that much of an asshole, besides maybe the GSC one.

I also miss the Special stat. Heh, imagine if they still had the Special stat. Regice and Shuckle would have base 200 and 230 Special (it would have to be like this, they would be absolutely atrocious otherwise). Blissey with 135 base Special would be awesome as well. I almost wish there were a server to play DPP with RBY mechanics, it would be awesome. xD

I miss being able to own other kids because they thought that using rare candies all the way would get them a pro pokemon!

I kind of miss having no items/natures. Made the game a little easier.

i have to go with all the love people had for it back then EVERYONE was crazy bout it, the originality of it was great as well how game freak and nintendo just brought it over and introduced it for us to fall in love with, everything about it was so much simpler back then as well, the simplicity of it was good, as opposed to all the technical stuff we have now with this gen

If anyone were to learn that I play Pokémon, I'd probably be ashamed for the rest of my life. Only 2 of my friends know, and it's because they play too. When I was a kid, everyone at school were talking about the show and the games... I remember helping out a lot of friends who didn't know what to do or how to beat a gym leader, since I was the "Pokémon Master" here x)
The game was so simple back then, I think that's what made it so enjoyable and fun to play. Now we have nature, EVs, IVs... of course this is a great part of the Pokémon game, but the simplicity of RBY made it a great game too.
And imho the Pokémon were much cooler back in the days, and I miss that a lot too. I mean, wtf, Combee. QQ

For me it was going over to a couple of friends' house who had Pokemon Stadium and bringing our hard-trained Pokemon in 3-D, which was the best thing ever.

I remember a time when my family took a vacation to Chattanooga, TN for a youth group deal and my younger brother an I just got the bloody game. Anyway, we were playing in the living room when my Charmeleon evolved for the first time and I was like WTF!? this new guy is awesome! The back of Charizard in RBY was the coolest thing ever imo.

I also remember spending a whole summer, my brother an I sitting side-by-side on the couch playing Pokemon and seeing what different team combinations we could come up with. Good times.

That great link cable thing of only 2 meters long which you used if you wanted to battle against your friends. Now that is oldskool :P

I miss the simplicity of only having 151 pokes... rather than nearly 500. I sometimes have to look up less-popular pokes because I don't remember them oO

I remember when pokemon cards used to be used as currency on the playground. Those were good times. And it was great when you had no idea at what level your pokemon would evolve and bam! it evolves and makes your day. If you didn't play pokemon you weren't cool. Kinda opposite of that today.

I miss the sense of accomplishment from getting a full team of 100s.

I would say that the first gen had the most number of sprites I liked for looks (except hypno and drowsy they are creepy, but even then the design for them is sound.)

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Pokemon was so much more magical when I was a kid, but I guess that's the nostalgia talking, haha. It's true that nearly every kid you knew played Pokemon. It was great, man. I was always a nerdy kid and when I found out that one of the best basketball players in my grade had an awesome Weezing (Fire Blast, Thunder, Blizzard, Explosion!) it sort of negated the different stereotypes and cliques to bring kids together.

I remember a L20 competition my class setup one time right after Pokemon Yellow came out. Most of us had already beaten Red or Blue, so a friend and I traded and Rare Candied with our old versions and made ourselves each pretty cool teams. I didn't get very far, though. I remember some kid with a Dragonair killed my Gyarados with Thunderbolt and I was pretty upset.

Also, the only Pokemon I ever legally trained to L100! A charizard named Scorch with Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Fire Blast and Slash. Hahaha, wow. I just liked the simplicity, too. You could just train whoever you wanted without having to worry about personality or IVs.

I also miss the Special stat. Heh, imagine if they still had the Special stat. Regice and Shuckle would have base 200 and 230 Special (it would have to be like this, they would be absolutely atrocious otherwise). Blissey with 135 base Special would be awesome as well. I almost wish there were a server to play DPP with RBY mechanics, it would be awesome. xD
Oh my god, Shuckle would be amazing.
Need I say:
Ancient Power
Earth Power
Accupuncture
Rest

It would own everything.

my Alakazam, Gengar, Clefable and Golem rocking everything. Seriosly. The fact that i had to buy a gamelink cable to evolve alakazam, gengar and golem, then smashing my friends with them. Abusing the rarecandies like no ones buisness, Mewtwo, and my legit Mews i horded. Hypno being awesome, and Haunter being one creepy cool guy.

But most of all, Lavender town and all its glory. Im that sick kid who loved it. and being 12.

Anyone else get those pokeballs from burgerking that they recalled? I totaly have my kangaskhan. now theres a pokemon they need to make breedable as a baby

i miss my hand trained level 100 nidoking with blizzard thunder fireblast and fissure that i spent all my hard earnt coins buying from the games corner and running thouh my freinds teams with that alone then my 86 zapdos for backup

This is less about the game mechanics and more about times that I'll never get back... I miss the simple and innocent fun of collecting and playing with friends that I can actually see in real life. It was a time when no one was afraid to admit their love for Pokémon and it was the one thing that everyone had in common. Those were some great times, back when it first came out. Nowadays people tend to think that it's too childish thanks in part to the anime, so they're afraid to reveal their soft spot for Pokémon. What that means is that it's much more difficult to find people in real life to play with, which saddens me.

I really miss playing, what I thought was competitively, with my friends. There were Four of us and we'd go on teams, 2 aside. Before every Gym battle we had a battle and at the end the team that had the most wins won. So it made us think about how we can use our favourites to good effect and what not - it also prevented us from glitching 'candies (as none of us were aware of the 'box trick').

It was really cool, we'd do that every summer holiday, occasionally go camping in someone's back garden and just play pokemon all night xD. It was cool when GSC came out because we had a whole new diverse game to play with all these cool new pokemon, and I remember the first time we realised there were now 16 badges... which made it awesome.

"...You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… BLUE! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion!"

What i miss most is the gargatuan gigantic WHAAT i screamed that day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)